Code of Conduct

Default Forest / pine fragrance

I'm looking for a fragrance with a fresh piney, foresty smell which has good longevity and smells distinctive...

I've loved Polo Green for a long time, but quite fancy a change, or just the opportunity to try something different... Is there anything better out there in this category? I'm aware, from reading the reviews, that there's a few fragrances in the Creed line that might fit the bill (Epicea, Cypres-Musc), and I'm a Creed fan, but they're probably outwith my price range for this purchase, and anyway, it's usually only the millesime line that I'm able to find in the shops, so testing some Creeds can be difficult for me...

Would be grateful for your suggestions / advice!

Default Re: Forest / pine fragrance

Fou d'Absinthe - L'Artisan
    Bulgari Extreme
    CDG - Zagorsk

These immediately come to mind.

Mazzolari Mazzolari is the best IMHO.

Pino Silvestre

Off-Scenter

Parfum d'Habit (Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier)
    Rebellius (Ayala Moriel)
    Yatagan (Caron)
    and maybe Knize Forest

I whole-heartedly agree with Zagorsk (PINE GALORE!) and here are my other top 3:

Gucci Pour Homme - pencil shavings (in a good way) and pine smell
    CdG Sequoia - uh, well, sequoia
    Lalique Pour Homme (Equus) - CEDAR! LOVE this scent!
    - Ben -

Top Five:
    Creed Royal Oud; Byredo Black Saffron; Etro Etra; Creed Aventus; Xerjoff Nio

eBay: mississippi_rifleman
    Twitter: Cigar_Ben

Wardrobe

Stogie Review

Basenotes Plus

I find Mugler Cologne quite piney/grassy.
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

Quote Originally Posted by rompip View Post
    Pino Silvestre
    Absolutely! This was the first thought in my mind. Also try to sample another old-school standby, Acqua di Selva. Finally, Versace's Green Jeans is also quite a good coniferous scent, with some mint and herbs thrown in for good measure.

Jeff

I really like Yatagan. It is very definitely one of my favorite fragrances. I personally find it to be a less formal, more elementally male version of Polo Green.

Another one to look into is Sandalwood by the Art of Shaving. Once you get past the Eucalyptus opening notes the Pine notes dominate. But I still like Yatagan better.
    In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane - Oscar Wilde

Bowling Green
    Blenheim Bouquet

Someone may say Halston 1-12 but I haven't tried it in a long long long time.
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

Basenotes Institution

Rocabar by Hermes (the entire forest in a bottle) and I also second the Zagorsk by Comme de Garcons recommendation (pine & incense)

How about Penhaligon's English Fern?

Sung Homme has a strong balsamic scent.
    Sergio Tacchini original.
    Carlo Corinto original.
    Simon Chang's Maestro.
    Ce message provient du Québec!

Cool Re: Forest / pine fragrance

Another vote fro Blenheim Bouquet. You really want Epicea, but it's beter in colder weather. which means you really want Selection Verte which has a great mint/ green accord, but it'll cost an arm and a a leg.

Some would argue that B.B. does not have that much pine to it. Whatever.
    There's Vesace l' homme which is half forest half garden and Jacomo de Jacomo, my present sinus rocket which I would not advise buying blind. Also better in cooler months as is L'Occitane's Vetiver

Hmm . . .

Bowling Green is quite good, esp in the heat (like Selection Verte) but it's an 'aromatic' and I'm not sure that's what you want. Quite uplifting, though . . .

As much as I respect the two reviwers that recommended it, DO NOT get Pino Silvestre--Hell, one of the things that prevented me from trying Epicea was that some reviewers compared it to Pino, Mericifully it wasn't

Well, like the saying goes, if we didn't have differences of opinion there couldn't be horseracing.

Get the Blenheim.
    Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Quote Originally Posted by giannis View Post
    That was my first thought. Excellent suggestion! Unfortunately it´s pretty expensive. The whole line is of extraordinary quality and deserves to be more popular. Gerald sells decants.......

Christian
    Last edited by costello; 27th April 2007 at 11:54 PM.
    Guerlain: Après L´ondée - Chanel: Cuir de Russie - Dior: Dior Homme - Divine: L´homme de coeur - Caron: Le 3me homme
    ---------------------------

"Tra il fiore colto e l’ altro donato / l’ inesprimibile nulla" Giuseppe Ungaretti

Quote Originally Posted by giannis View Post
    This really reminds me of a Christmas tree. Pure forest. Not sure if its pine, or spruce or what. But it certainly reminds one of forests.

Joe
    --------------------------------------
    Oh, forgot one: Knize Forest. Realize it is hard to find, but it would absolutely fit the bill IMHO.
    Last edited by Joe_Frances; 28th April 2007 at 02:36 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Man i can nail this one on the head!!!!!!

HUGO by Hugo Boss!!!!! I've had this for years now and the wife loves it.

It is strong as hell and woodsy and piney SHOULD be on the box of this cologne!!!

Talk about lasting!!!! This cologne screams Wintertime!

On a rainy or humid day this cologne will Hang in the air, its much better in the cool weather, Fall time too.

This, without a doubt is Forest/pine.......I dont know about the other Boss' but I know this one by heart.

Good luck.
    The search for the perfect cologne is like a composer searching for the ultimate note.

P.S. F' Imus...Stern is King!

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. Definitely a good number there for me to read up on via the reviews, and to try as many as possible!

What about Bogner's Deep Forest?
    http://basenotes.net/ID26120442.html
    I am waiting for my bottle to arrive,that's another blind but not so cheap purchase.An older member (I do not remember who) was obsessed with this one.What should I expect?Does it fit the bill?
    It's never too late to mend.

WARDROBE:http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1256

The piniest scent I know of is Puig's Agua Brava.

Blenheim's Bouqet is the next piniest.

My favourite, however, is the citrus-piney Versace Green Jeans.
    Renato

Does Aramis Skinscent "New West" qualify?

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Quick update:

I tried Blenheim Bouquet at the Penhaligon shop today, and absolutely loved it! I remember trying this as part of a handful of samples I was given there when I bought some gifts there about 3-4 years ago, but this REALLY impressed me today! It's at the top of my 'want' list as of now!

Others I tried today were: Green Irish Tweed (more natual than Cool Water, but very similar to my nose), Hermes Eau des Merveilles (better for me than the Elixir), Aramis Devin (strangely appealing) and Hugo by Hugo Boss (liked it very much).

Quote Originally Posted by StewartGallacher View Post
    I'm looking for a fragrance with a fresh piney, foresty smell which has good longevity and smells distinctive...

I've loved Polo Green for a long time, but quite fancy a change, or just the opportunity to try something different... Is there anything better out there in this category? I'm aware, from reading the reviews, that there's a few fragrances in the Creed line that might fit the bill (Epicea, Cypres-Musc), and I'm a Creed fan, but they're probably outwith my price range for this purchase, and anyway, it's usually only the millesime line that I'm able to find in the shops, so testing some Creeds can be difficult for me...

Would be grateful for your suggestions / advice!
    Hi Stewart,
    If you're looking for pine and foresty fragrances, I would be more than happy to send yous samples from my own line, I have three perfumes that have pine and forest notes as their dominant theme:
    Bon Zai - a minimalistic, Japanese inspired woody composition
    Rainforest - the scent of the West Coast rainforest
    Bois d'Hiver - a warmer, sweeter forest scent released for the winter holidays 2007
    Fetish - this one is more of a citrusy fragrance, but it has the sweet, balsamic base note of fir absolute, which is reminiscent of candied Christmas tree. It's delicious.

Just email me ayala@ayalamoriel.com with your address and I will be more than happy to put these in the mail for you
    Ayala Moriel, Perfumer
    Ayala Moriel Parfums http://www.ayalamoriel.com/
    Visit my SmellyBlog: http://www.smellyblog.com/

Another good one is Sud Est di Romeo Gigli. Discontinued, but available in the "for sale" pages here.

B*Men by Thierry Mugler might be sweeter smelling than most forests, but I'm always enchanted by its sequoia/redwood note. (Unfortunately it's discontinued, but fortunately it's still available!)
    Last edited by d4; 29th April 2007 at 05:50 PM.

Hi Ayala,

Many thanks for your kind offer: those fragrances from your range sound exciting. I will drop you an e-mail.

Very best regards,

Stewart

I totally support CuyahogaJoe's suggestion of Gigli Sud-Est. Another interesting one is Fendi Life Essence Uomo, my SOTD.

Sud Est is pretty good, though I get more of a "dry herbal" blast from it. Good and affordable is Nicole Farhi for Men, which has a very winter-foresty top and middle and then turns spicy in the base. Quite unusual and unique, I think of it as a "Nordic Oriental".
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Swiss Army or Swiss Army Altitude

Tam Dao
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Ava Luxe "Fire Wood" is about the most purely forested fragrance I've experienced. Straight evergreens backed up with a little resin. It literally smells like fresh chopped wood, but with a little more warmth. If it was layered with a light musk it would be even better.

A favorite pine scent for me is L' Eau Trois by Diptyque. It is green, piny with a variety of other coniferous notes also with some opening incense. It has character and is very nice. Reasonably priced.

If you're looking for a delicious forest-like scent, I highly recommend Chergui by Serge Lutens. It's amazing. The name is for a desert wind in Morocco, but I detect a rich pine resin scent in the heart of this fragrance.

Nino Cerruti Pour Homme

Smells like the western wilderness

Quote Originally Posted by linnea View Post
    If you're looking for a delicious forest-like scent, I highly recommend Chergui by Serge Lutens. It's amazing. The name is for a desert wind in Morocco, but I detect a rich pine resin scent in the heart of this fragrance.
    Chergui and pine scents? The two are 180degrees apart!

I would go with the scents already recommended:

Aspen
    Blenheim Bouquet
    Creed Cypres Musc
    Polo Green
    -