Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default New 'Private Collection' redo by Estee Lauder

It made the cover of Womens Wear Daily - Estee Lauder's redoing their classic scent 'Private Collection' (which I love). Image attached and link to The Scented Salamander blog below where I found out about this:

http://www.mimifroufrou.com/scenteds...berose_ga.html

Kind of doing the 'luxury' price thing on this, but since they're already pushing the luxury envelope with Black Orchid and the Black Orchid perfume, it doesn't surprise me that they want this new PC to feel 'exclusive'. Bottle almost looks like a jeweled timepiece, to me.

Any other Private Collection (the old one) lovers out there?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: New 'Private Collection' redo by Estee Lauder

my wife adores it, & it gives me headache, hope the new one is less sharp.

the new bottle is so super chic, thanks Mike for the post, you'have make my wife day.
    Last edited by tariq; 27th April 2007 at 11:15 PM.

i used to like it but it was sometimes not easy to wear kind of took over and yes you can get a headache from it

At least it does sound this scent will be in addition to the regular Private Collection and not in place of. All this IFRA stuff has me feeling very testy about perfume changes.

Yes, it sounds more like a flanker, albeit a pricey one, than a reformulation. Am I the only one who finds those "gemstones" in the lid kinda tacky looking?

I am a great fan on ELPC, used to wear it very regularly. In small amounts it's sensuous and fabulous and migraine-free

This new one created "in partnership with Firmenich", sounds interesting but when I think of Firmenich I think chemicals and technology. I like to think of fragrance as flowers, spice and "life", not beakers and stainless steel.

I suppose this is just being honest about what has happened already, and I should not romanticize it as much as I do.

I adore the original formula, it makes me feel vey feminine and I feel it's a unusual fragrance. I have two new bottles in my stash, plus a bottle of body lotion. I may try the new one if I can get to sniff it.
    Never judge anyone until you have walked a mile in their shoes

it's not a re-do or a flanker. the only thing in common is the concept. as Estée oversaw the creation of Private Collection for herself and close friends (so the story goes) before it was available at retail...her granddaughter Aerin, has done the same. although this time around it was a given that the resulting fragrance would be a saleable product, it really is her baby. i have smelled her wearing various mods and the final scent for quite some time now and can say that it is a sillage monster! quite literally it is a scent of privilege. heady and luxurious, it exudes class, but not at the expense of real personality. this is not perfumery by committee.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by TheCure View Post
    it's not a re-do or a flanker. the only thing in common is the concept. as Estée oversaw the creation of Private Collection for herself and close friends (so the story goes) before it was available at retail...her granddaughter Aerin, has done the same. although this time around it was a given that the resulting fragrance would be a saleable product, it really is her baby. i have smelled her wearing various mods and the final scent for quite some time now and can say that it is a sillage monster! quite literally it is a scent of privilege. heady and luxurious, it exudes class, but not at the expense of real personality. this is not perfumery by committee.
    Very interesting...you've smelled it, huh? How cool! I think the original PC has a lot sillage itself - so I kind of expected the new one to also. Looking forward to sniffing this in August.

I LOVE the original Private Collection, looking forward to this one. Err, despite the tuberose, that is.
    Last edited by Arhianrad; 1st May 2007 at 06:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arhianrad View Post
    I LOVE the original Private Collection, looking forward to this one. Err, despite the tuberose, that is.
    That's funny, the only reason it piqued my interest was because of the tuberose!
    I was hoping it would be a big-sillage scent, now I'll have to make sure &give it a sniff.

Quote Originally Posted by tinker424 View Post
    That's funny, the only reason it piqued my interest was because of the tuberose!
    I was hoping it would be a big-sillage scent, now I'll have to make sure &give it a sniff.
    wellll...Tuberose doesn't like me. I've tried for years to be able to wear it, but it honestly does not like me...

That said, I'm very interested in this one anyway

Basenotes Institution

Great article on Estee Lauder in the UK Tribune: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/fashion/m...e09.xml&page=1

Quote Originally Posted by tinker424 View Post
    The tuberose is the attention-grabber for me as well. I'm definitely looking forward to trying this one out in August!

The bottle is gorgeous!

I love the original Private Collection, and this new launch don't seem to be a reformulation, as previous basenoters said, but more like a new item in the range, as they did for Pleasures with Pleasures Intense and Pleasures Exotic, then for White Linen with White Linen Breeze and Pure White Linen.

Quote Originally Posted by mharvey816 View Post
    ....Am I the only one who finds those "gemstones" in the lid kinda tacky looking?
    Nuh uh! :wave: But her idol was David Webb and his stuff is big and gunky.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Press Release:

ESTÉE LAUDER INTRODUCES PRIVATE COLLECTION TUBEROSE GARDENIA, A Modern Fragrance Created by Aerin Lauder
    "Simplicity is the purest form of luxury and elegance."
    - Aerin Lauder

Inspired by the jewelry and works of art collected by Mrs. Estee Lauder, and a love of fragrance shared with her grandmother, Aerin Lauder, Senior Vice President, Creative Director, Estee Lauder has created her own fragrance, launching in North America in August 2007 and internationally in September 2007.

The scent Aerin has treasured for so long and shared with only her closest friends will now be available to discerning women around the world. Introducing Estee Lauder's Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia, a sensual floral steeped in luxury, created from Aerin's favorite white flowers.
    "When my grandmother launched the first Private Collection fragrance in 1973, her idea was to give the world a special fragrance she had created originally just for herself and a few friends," explains Aerin. "Tuberose Gardenia redefines Estee's Private Collection idea in a very special way. It's my tribute to her and the love we shared for these magnificent white flowers."

For Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia, Aerin personally chose every element of the scent and the packaging. And to fully communicate her personal passion for this fragrance and the Estee Lauder brand's modern aspirational image, Aerin is featured in the advertising campaign in an elegant black and white image photographed by Craig McDean. It is the first time any member of the Lauder family has appeared in an advertising campaign.

Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia encompasses fragrance, makeup and collectible items that Aerin personally uses and treasures: a Perfume Spray, a lighter Eau de Parfum Spray, an exquisite Solid Perfume Compact, a scented Body Crème, a beautiful Brush-On Powder Compact and a matching Mirror Compact.

The Fragrance
    The fragrance combines the finest ingredients from nature with modern technology to yield a bold, confident, textural fragrance experience. At its heart is a voluptuous middle note of precious Tuberose and exotic Gardenia, two enchanting white flowers whose essences were extracted using the finest methods available to yield unparalleled levels of purity and potency -- comparable to the scents the flowers themselves emit through the air.

The balance of this sumptuously floral fragrance comes from a top note of Neroli combined with the sublime clarity of Lilac and opulent Rosewood; middle notes of fresh Orangeflower, indulgent Jasmine and intriguing White Lily; a hint of Carnation with touches of the finest grade Vanilla Bourbon complete the dry down.

Tuberose Gardenia's exquisite character is derived from its classic composition yet thoroughly modern signature which leaves an astonishingly true-to-life impression. The Nature Intact Soft Extraction Technology used in the creation of this fragrance is the closest way modern perfumery can capture an actual flower in a bottle.

The Packaging
    Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia reflects Aerin's own extraordinary sense of style: elegant, simple, timeless, feminine. With its clean lines and gilded accents, every detail incorporates elements Aerin truly loves.

The bottle, a combination of modern sculptured glass offset by a golden cap, symbolizes the strength of today's modern woman. The Perfume Spray cap is encrusted with assorted semi-precious gemstones, in soft blues, greens and yellows, inspired by a Josef Hoffmann brooch displayed in Manhattan's Neue Gallerie. The cap of the Eau de Parfum is hammered gold, reminiscent of a matching bracelet and necklace given to Aerin as a gift by her grandmother. Even the outer carton with its white backdrop and golden foil cover speaks to this understated luxury aesthetic.

Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia launches in North America at Bergdorf Goodman, Holt Renfrew, Saks Fifth Avenue and Neiman Marcus beginning August 2007. International launches begin September 2007.

This sounds really awesome!!!!! I cant wait to try it.
    Awesomeguy