Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Which fragrance "haunts" you?

Hey everyone,
    I was just reading Basenote's interview with Marian Bendeth and she said "For me, to say a fragrance is "nice" is the kiss of death. It should haunt you, and literally force you to smell your wrists repeatedly." So I figured it would be a good question since I spent an hour yesterday searching the forums for the words "haunting" and "ethereal".

Note: there is two definintions for ethereal, one being "characterized by unusual lightness and delicacy" and the other "relating to the regions beyond the earth; celestial, unworldly". I was searching for the latter.

Since I'm new here, I've yet to find a scent that "haunts" me. So I thought I would ask the experts what haunts them.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Which fragrance "haunts" you?

Easy, Voleur de Roses by L'Artisan. Man, that stuff is majestic. I think it is my favorite scent from an objective standpoint (ie, I could sit there smelling on paper all day), but I only feel comfortable wearing it on wet, rainy days. So it haunts me in that regard as well. I SO want to wear it all the time.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Pure, high grade sandalwood essential oil and Serge Lutens Gris Clair. Others come close (Andy Tauer perfumes in particular), but these two are the stand outs. When I wear Gris Clair it's almost achingly poetic... whether it's from a scent associated memory that I can't remember, I don't know; but it's beautiful.

What makes a fragrance haunting is so intimate and personal. A fragrance becomes haunting, I think, when it meshes perfectly with the wearers' psyche, or just a mood. Just like there's some music that, at the right place, at the right time, with the right mindset, goes beyond being just good or pleasant and becomes sublime.
    Many fragrances act like a mask to wear, I think... but a fragrance haunts you when it takes your mask off.

High quality pure agarwood oil (oud). Oriscent's oils are a perfect example. Their Borneo 3000, Oud Royal, Oud Shuyukh, Green Papua and Sweet China are all out of this world. I have never smelled anything else like them.

As far has regular fragrances are concerned, FM's Carnal Flower is one that comes to mind. It blows me away!
    Last edited by ajmc; 28th April 2007 at 03:21 AM.

Unhappy Re: Which fragrance "haunts" you?

Equipage, the signature scent of my first serious affair.

Post Thanks / Like

CREED MI does that to me. It forced me to sniff my wrist as often as I could.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Post Thanks / Like

DK Leaded - Donna Karan
    Noir Epices - Malle
    Rose Opulente - MPG
    Lime Aoud - Montale

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The_Monkey View Post
    Hey everyone,
    I was just reading Basenote's interview with Marian Bendeth and she said "For me, to say a fragrance is "nice" is the kiss of death. It should haunt you, and literally force you to smell your wrists repeatedly." So I figured it would be a good question since I spent an hour yesterday searching the forums for the words "haunting" and "ethereal".

Note: there is two definitions for ethereal, one being "characterized by unusual lightness and delicacy" and the other "relating to the regions beyond the earth; celestial, unworldly". I was searching for the latter.

Since I'm new here, I've yet to find a scent that "haunts" me. So I thought I would ask the experts what haunts them.
    I consider this an admirably careful approach to the greatest topic there can be concerning fragrances! I also like how you extend it beyond compulsory wrist sniffing. The second definition of 'etherial' really describes my holy grails perfectly. I have about five now, and maybe I shall mention more later, but what really stunned me - the first three replies given already contain two of mine:
    Voleur de Roses
    Oud oils!

Last edited by narcus; 28th April 2007 at 05:55 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Post Thanks / Like

There are many but I'm too tired to think about it. Mitsouko Parfum on the right inner thigh, up close to my girlfriend's musky smelling c_nt after we'd been walking through the desert all day is the most compelling fragrance scent I can remember. It's often hard to get an idea of just how good a fragrance is until you smell it on someone else, preferably after they've been active and it's mixed in with some of their natural body odor.
    Last edited by pluran; 28th April 2007 at 07:17 AM.

Banned

Post Thanks / Like

Scents that "haunt" me and compell me to keep sniffing my wrists are often those in which I find something unsettling or mildy disturbing played off against something luscious and familiar.

Ive been haunted by:

'Richard James' : (suede and tobacco v/s rose)
    'Love Potion No.9 for Men' by Penhaligon's, (mimosa v/s clove)
    'Scent Intense' by Costume National (jasmin and hibiscus v/s hardcore amber)
    'L'eau D'Élide' by Diptyque (lavendar v/s faun)

... most of these represent scents in which two contrasting or contradictory accords are juxtaposed on a collision course with one another. The result is both unnerving, yet ultimately satisfying.

Post Thanks / Like

Both Zagorsk and Cabochard have an air of startling familiarity, combined with something like a memory that just eludes the edges of recollection. These are not necessarily accessible fragrances, in the sense that you can apply, "get it", and feel certain that it is appropriate. But they have a complexity and contradictory quality that make me keep sniffing or thinking, they intrigue.

Incidentally, I think that Pluran made an excellent point about the value of smelling a fragrance on another; if you try something that has been suggested here, and find it entirely uninteresting/unevocative or unpleasant, try to see if you can experience it on someone else, someone of the opposite sex, or very different from you with regard to age or ethnicity (i.e. someone with very dissimilar chemistry). Then you may well find yourself haunted.

Haunting for me would be Messe de Minuit-Etro. It kept me sniffing for hours. I had never smelled anything like it before..

Peace and Safety,

Otto

Eau d'Hermčs, Chergui, Iris Silver Mist.

Léonard pour Homme -- the ultimate autumnal.

Chergui, too, albeit to a lesser extent. Versace Pour Homme, too.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell View Post
    Many fragrances act like a mask to wear, I think... but a fragrance haunts you when it takes your mask off.
    This is a beautiful way to describe how and why a fragrance would be haunting ...the mask analogy is perfect, imo.

for me, some would be Aimez Moi by Caron, Tabac Blond by Caron, Madame X , Ava Luxe,
    Jasmin Impeatrice Eugenie by Creed, Carnal Flower by Malle, Patchouli by Jalaine, Nirmala by Molinard
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Noir Epices by Malle
    Philosykos by Diptyque

santos eau de sport, and lolita lempicka au masculin use too

Post Thanks / Like

I find that the only fragrances that have permanent reservations in my collection are the ones that "haunt" me, as you say.

Its a sure-fire keeper when you smell something and think "ohhh, I've smelled this before somewhere...but where?" Like you had worn it in another life.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Post Thanks / Like

Not to sound derivative, but I too was stunned to see Voleur de Roses as the first reply, followed by Narcus' seconding that opinion. VdR was, and remains, the most haunting fragrance I've sampled in the year or so since I began to appreciate fragrances. It smells so old... decaying, almost,... but still very much alive and rich... undead perhaps? Alas, VdR is a guilty pleasure I wear only for myself; I'd feel a bit self-conscious wearing it in my social and professional environment.
    In addition to ethereal, I would also add 'rare' as a descriptor (as in scarce, not necessarily costly), since I think it would be difficult to feel haunted by something one encounters everywhere, on everyone. Nor would I personally include 'pleasant' in my list of haunt-able attributes, which for me would eliminate anything fruity, watery, or sugary sweet. I enjoy those notes, but haunting? I don't think so.
    Very nice topic, and well posed!

Himalaya haunts me. I can spray it on my shirt, and like 3 weeks later I can still smell it(faintly).

Post Thanks / Like

Musc Ravageur , Cannabis Santal , Brownstone , and Chergui are ones that come to mind. To me they are classics, transcending time and space. They linger with me, please me, provoke me, and cause me to feel uplifted.

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Post Thanks / Like

A haunting fragrance is one which defies logic,mystifies, keeps you enthralled. Those that haunt me now are:

Montale Lime Aoud - an aura of scent develops from the unknown.
    Voleur d Roses - the patchouli does it.
    SL Borneo 1834- pathchouli + chocolate is very compelling, but dark.
    Montale Royal Aoud - contrast of opposites is strangely attractive.

Post Thanks / Like

The twin combo of Creed Santal Imperial and Creed Vetiver '48. Theres something magical about these two.
    -

Post Thanks / Like

Buzzlepuff, Yes!!! I agree with Royal Oud and Aoud Lime. Both simply amazing! I don't own full bottles of these just yet.

Others on my list would have to be Kingdom, AG Sables, Chergui, Santal de Mysore, Bois Blond, Querelle, and Lonestar Memories.

I can practically smell these just by thinking about them...

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

The main one for me would be Ambre Sultan. It evokes the images of an era past.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Snafoo View Post
    In addition to ethereal, I would also add 'rare' as a descriptor (as in scarce, not necessarily costly), since I think it would be difficult to feel haunted by something one encounters everywhere, on everyone. Nor would I personally include 'pleasant' in my list of haunt-able attributes,
    To keep their rare quality, I do not wear them often - just as a special treat, or as part of a memorable day or encounter in my personal life. The fragrances may be beautiful to the point it hurts, but they need not be that at all. Malle's VetiverX is on my list of must haves before Aoud Lime. Can there be an easier, more perfect fragrance to wear? It's not sacred though. But mention AL and I feel like homesick for it!
    Last edited by narcus; 29th April 2007 at 06:26 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Hi all,

Great post! Well, at this point in time...I would have to say....
    MONTALE OUD CUIR D'ARABIE! SMN "NOSTALIGA" could be another fine choice!

Regards,
    SixCats!

Post Thanks / Like

How could I forget Aoud Cuir D'Arabie? I have a little tester right here by the computer! I put it on and instantly think of new car smell. Of course with a leather interior. Then it morphs into the freshest leather scent I know of. This isn't a sexual leather with lots of musk and cumin but clean and light. It also lasts a long time.

Post Thanks / Like

For The Last Months There Is One.

Black Xs
    I Love The Dark Amber The Pachouli And The Praline Note
    Last edited by dalailama1; 29th April 2007 at 02:37 PM.

Maestrale - Profumi di Pantelleria haunts me even when I don't wear it. It makes me feel guilty for not wearing it everyday.

Patchouli 24 - haunts me with those random wiffs it gives 24 hours after application and a shower.

Acqua di Gio - haunts me because it was the everyday scent of the most incredible person I have ever met. 7.5 year relationship that was more amazing than I could have ever imagined.
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 29th April 2007 at 02:52 PM. Reason: spelling

Post Thanks / Like

Ethereal, lingering, now I can feel, now I can't, keeps me sniffing, clean, manly, simplistic yet full:
    Bulgari Pour Homme.

Quote Originally Posted by paintrman View Post
    Buzzlepuff, Yes!!! I agree with Royal Oud and Aoud Lime. Both simply amazing! I don't own full bottles of these just yet.

Others on my list would have to be Kingdom, AG Sables, Chergui, Santal de Mysore, Bois Blond, Querelle, and Lonestar Memories.

I can practically smell these just by thinking about them...
    Ah, I can't believe I forgot Sables. That's definitely on my list too.

Clinique Happy for women haunts me. The hottest chick I've ever dated/loved wore it. To bad she used it to cover the booze seeping from her pores. I still love them both, but after the knife attack, I had to cut my losses...so to speak. Thank God she never found my guns.

On a happier note, Jil Sander Background haunts me. Sometimes just opening a mini splash is all I need...OK, maybe a little dab on my finger tip. Thanks again JWS for indroducing us. Unlike the previous GF, Jil is a keeper.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell View Post
    That really is a good quote Maxwell. I'm about to order a few samples of Montale's Aoud series and Voleur de Roses. Oriscent's oud oils sound really interesting, but I'm not sure I could bring myself to pay 200-500 dollars for 3ml of anything. There are some really good ideas mentioned so far.
    "Society honors its living conformists and its dead troublemakers."
    Mignon McLaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by The_Monkey View Post
    That really is a good quote Maxwell. I'm about to order a few samples of Montale's Aoud series and Voleur de Roses. Oriscent's oud oils sound really interesting, but I'm not sure I could bring myself to pay 200-500 dollars for 3ml of anything. There are some really good ideas mentioned so far.
    Thank you. I've been eyeing Oriscent myself lately. At least with real Oud you only need to use a tiny dab. Even a small application gives amazing sillage.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Which fragrance "haunts" you?

Quote Originally Posted by CuyahogaJoe View Post
    Clinique Happy for women haunts me. The hottest chick I've ever dated/loved wore it. To bad she used it to cover the booze seeping from her pores. I still love them both, but after the knife attack, I had to cut my losses...so to speak. Thank God she never found my guns.

Now if her name was Ellen and she lived in L.A. ten years ago, that would be scary !

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Post Thanks / Like

Great post, Monkey. My response is based on my own quirky definitions of haunting. The first is a combination of profound beauty and deep melancholy which includes Voleur de Roses (after the numerous mentions here this will have to be my SOTD) as well as Lutens' Douce Amere and Montale's Blue Amber. The second are those scents that repel me at first but which I can't simply dismiss and consign to my "tested, don't like" drawer as I do with so many. It's probably no coincidence that some of my favorite people are those I'm initially put off by. This group of fragrances include Eau d'Hermes, Sandringham, and Blenheim Bouquet.
    My current top 10: Richard James; Clive Christian No. 1 for Men; L'Artisan Voleur de Roses; Creed Aventus, Erolfa, Santal Imperial, Virgin Island Water, and Windsor; Serge Lutens Chergui and Gris Clair

"It is never to late to be what you might have been." George Eliot

Post Thanks / Like

Daim Blond has been haunting me for the past few days. I keep focusing on the apricot, musk and suede notes as I find them in the mix. Each wearing seems subtly different from the preceding one.

Bond Wall St and Chanel Pour homme