Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Mothers Day Suggestions?

OK. I can't stand it any longer. I have to find a fragrance for my Mom to replace the Brittney Spears Fantasy atrocity that she has taken to wearing. It usually brings on a migraine for me when I am around her for any length of time. I have tried to gently tell her this but I thought if I could replace it with something similar ( because she loves it) she may concede to stop wearing it around me. So...any suggestions. She obviously likes the fruitiness of this frag. Maybe something more subtle. I don't really want any niche frag's because I need to be able to smell and try them first and I live in Knoxville TN so my options are the dept. store at the moment. I am open to any suggestions...thanks!
    Last edited by tdi; 28th April 2007 at 01:37 PM. Reason: wrong perfume given initially

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Mothers Day Suggestions?

Hey tdi! I don't care for sweet sugary fragrance, and generally despise fruity ones. I can send you my bottle of Lulu Guiness Life's a Bed of Roses-- Maybe it won't give you a headache.......sorry, it's aspartame in a bottle. I've never sniffed any Brittney frags so I can only go by notes and reviews.

Okay, seriously, I like SF Incanto Dream. It's a nice summery freesia peony, mild and inoffensive, with a distictive pineapple note. I've almost bought it several times, and put it off until this spring to enjoy this summer.

Another mall scent I've kinda liked is Maybe Baby by Benefit. It's too light and delicate for me, but what I smell is pleasant peachy musk. Just now I read the reviews rtamarie41 mentions a cream that would layer well called Touch Me and Try to Leave. The names may be marketing to adolescents, but the fragrance was nice.

I'm lucky, it turns out, although I don't get to see my mom much, she did fall for two of my very favorite fragrance-- kai and Rose Essentielle.
    Please, spritz responsibly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shycat View Post
    Hey tdi! I don't care for sweet sugary fragrance, and generally despise fruity ones. I can send you my bottle of Lulu Guiness Life's a Bed of Roses-- Maybe it won't give you a headache.......sorry, it's aspartame in a bottle. I've never sniffed any Brittney frags so I can only go by notes and reviews.

Okay, seriously, I like SF Incanto Dream. It's a nice summery freesia peony, mild and inoffensive, with a distictive pineapple note. I've almost bought it several times, and put it off until this spring to enjoy this summer.

Another mall scent I've kinda liked is Maybe Baby by Benefit. It's too light and delicate for me, but what I smell is pleasant peachy musk. Just now I read the reviews rtamarie41 mentions a cream that would layer well called Touch Me and Try to Leave. The names may be marketing to adolescents, but the fragrance was nice.

I'm lucky, it turns out, although I don't get to see my mom much, she did fall for two of my very favorite fragrance-- kai and Rose Essentielle.
    Hi Shycat! Thanks for the suggestions . I faintly remember smelling Maybe Baby and they do sell it here...I'll give it a try along with the Incanto Dream. As for the Lulu Guiness Lifes a Bed Of Roses...if it is anything similar to her original I will have to pass. I have several sweet fragrances but I don't wear them often , my teenage daughters have fallen in love with them though ! Thanks again!

nothing beats Chinatown Bond for Mothers Day

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Mothers Day Suggestions?

Poor Mums. They sometimes have no idea do they?
    A nice fruity foodie that she might like is Ralph Lauren Hot or Euphoria.
    The Hot I swear you could lick right off your arm!! Yum. Or another scent I really appreciate is Lancome Hypnose'

Good luck !

Post Thanks / Like

Hot Couture (Givenchy) has a lovely raspberry note and is a warm, sexy fragrance.
    How about the classic Diorissimo - not fruity, but Lily of the Valley is just appearing
    in the garden and I always associate that flower with my Mum.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am going out to the mall today to sniff around

Post Thanks / Like

Y'all made me so curious (!!) I had to order a soupcon of Fantasy to find out what it's like. Gotta say the notes - kiwi, white chocolate, musk, lychee, jasmine, orchid, and quince - made me hungry. Never mind the cupcake.

I'm a real - I believe we call it - scent 'ho' - I love every family there is - and for my sweet tooth (I am a Mum and a GrandMum so watch what you say!!) Lolita Lempicka does just fine.

Do let us know dear TDI - not only what you settle on but Mum's reaction. Bonne chance!! :bounce:
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Post Thanks / Like

Seconding Lolita Lempicka.

Other mainstream sweets:

-Dior Hypnotic Poison
    -Aquolina Pink Sugar
    -Vera Wang Princess
    -Dior Addict
    -Kenzo Amour
    -Hanae Mori Butterfly

Also, if your local dept. store carries Comptoir Sud Pacifique, there's a sweet line.
    And he whose soul is flat -- the sky
    Will cave in on him by and by.

—from "Renascence" by Edna St. Vincent Millay

Post Thanks / Like

I second Kotori's suggestion, Dior Addict.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for the great suggestions. I went to the mall and smelled everything they had in Dillards and tried half of that on my body so I was very aromatic! I finally decided on Givenchy Hot Couture. I think my Mom will like it...I was enthralled with the Hypnotic Poison but then I remembered I was buing it for my Mom and not myself Hot Couture reminds me of a less aggressive Flowerbomb for some reason. The really interesting thing is the SA that was helping me was a young girl who was just delightful and extremely helpful, which in my experience has never happend when I have been looking for a fragrance. I would definitely go back and buy that bottle of Hypnotic Poison from her !

Post Thanks / Like

Great choice. I've actually given a bottle of Hot Couture to my own mother. She should really like it.

It's great to find a sales associate you'd go back to, isn't it? I have two that I buy everything from.
    And he whose soul is flat -- the sky
    Will cave in on him by and by.

—from "Renascence" by Edna St. Vincent Millay