Code of Conduct

Question Opium pour Homme - do you love it or hate it?

Ok.... I primarily joined this site so I could talk about my obsession with Opium....

All that notwithstanding, I've noticed that it elicits some pretty passionate reactions. They vary from "Oh my god, this is intoxicating" to "Urgh! This sucks, it's awful".

Just to clarify, this is about the EDT. I love love love the EDT, and hate hate hate the EDP.

What are people's opinions here? Is it "modern" or "old"? Is it too sweet? Do people think it's masculine or bordering on wearing heels and a red dress?

~ snifferdog

Default Re: Opium pour Homme - do you love it or hate it?

I've only worn the EDT to get to get acquainted with it. I have yet to have an occasion to wear it going out, but so far I think it's a great scent.

Personally, I think I'm going to have to wait for colder weather and the return of heavier clothing before I use it going out. Once the time comes, though, I don't think I'd have any hesitation to use it.
    Where once there was no scents to it all, now the world opens before me!

This is one of my favorite fragrances. I do not find it to be too sweet. All the notes balance together very well, IMO. I feel it is a masculine scent.

Oh yes, welcome to Basenotes.

Dependent

I own it and it's fine. I don't get excited one way or the other about fragrances. I either want to smell them, which like Opium I bought, or I'm not interested in them after sampling.

I heard that the seasonal release of Opium oriental style is quite good.

A long time ago, on first encountering Opium pour Homme, I recall being put off by it. I don't think I found it too sweet---I wasn't very experienced with fragrances and I'm not sure I even noticed the sweetness---but rather too pungent, too unusual. I also recall this being one of my first fragrance revelations; after smelling it a few times I changed my opinion completely and decided to buy some. It's been among my favorites ever since.
    Last edited by d4; 29th April 2007 at 05:46 PM.

LOL! I love that pic you've got, fredricktoo! It's a smidge half-way between popeye and gollum!
    Thank you for the welcome, Globetrekker. :^)

Not as bad a reaction as I thought it'd be.

Oh, fredricktoo, the "Eau d'Orient" you're referring to is excellent. It's not as sweet, and it's more citrusy and peppery. I love both of them, the eau d'orient for day/office wear, and the normal one for nights.

But that's just me.....

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by snifferdog View Post
    LOL! I love that pic you've got, fredricktoo! It's a smidge half-way between popeye and gollum!
    that's a current picture of Popeye as he looks these days. I scanned it from an autographed picture. He's in his 90's now.

I love it,one of my favourite cold weather scents.

Topnotes are a wonderful blend.

Basenotes a little too overpowering and synthetic.

I neither love it nor hate it, but I'm closer to the former.

This is one which I would think I'd like but don't. There is a ginger note in the heart which turns me off. It is stronger than the ginger than in Jako and in the M7 shower gel. Eh alors!
    In rotation: Greenbriar (new), Silver Mountain Water, Dunhill for Men (1934), Acqua di Parma Colonia, Habit Rouge EDC, Ho Hang, B*Men, Agua Brava

My experience is with the EDP only.

As I have previously mentioned, this one can be quite skin dependent - on some it degenerates into a plain vanilla scent fast, while on others it will bloom into an excellent spicy sweet concoction full of twists and ten.

This is definitely one that I love.
    Last edited by zztopp; 29th April 2007 at 07:13 PM.
    -

smeller

I hated. Once I gave it a more serious try. Then I really disliked the topnotes, and find the basenotes really pleasing, not overpowering at all.

As I see, there's some complexity going on, it'n not unidimensional, for sure. Now I appreciate the craft on it.

But I can't identify myself with the scent, and I can't figure myself wearing it.

I am actually wearing it today. When it was first launched in the US I had a deep passion for it and wore it as a signature scent for a long time. Then the EDP just burned me out on it and just the smell of it would make me queasy...

It has long since been pulled from the US market but seems to be doing well in other areas of the world. I think marketing was the blame here....

I now once so often I will wear the EDT - it is a unique scent I think what makes it so sharp and diffrent is the blackcurrent notes - they are almost bitter.
    Last edited by scentimus; 29th April 2007 at 09:30 PM.

My experience is also with the EdP.....I do like this.....I wear this in the winter months when it is cold or at least cooler......I would not be able to wear this in hot weather....Gary

I'm for the EdP...the EdT is awfully spicy smelling and gets irritating to me. EdP is stronger, but better balanced, IMO. Ironically, positive comments are made when I'm wearing Opium during a humid summer...weird!
    Last edited by iMaverick; 29th April 2007 at 10:13 PM.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Hmmm, interesting to see a few comments in favour of the EDP.... I absolutely loathe, hate, detest the EDP. Doesn't smell anything like the EDT, and it's a sickly ambery/fruity smell. I stupidly sprayed it on one day in a dept store and spent the rest of the afternoon feeling sick.

But, one man's "trash" is another man's treasure, so it's just my opinion.

I got to admit, I kinda feel ... well... "sexy" when I wear the EDT....grrr.... lol

Unfortunately I bought the EDT several years ago, but applied it just about three times. I wouldn't say I hated it, just it turned out it was way too overpowering for me. Perhaps a cologne version would have done.

Unhappy Re: Opium pour Homme - do you love it or hate it?

I tried the EDP while traveling in France. After spraying it in the back of my hand all I got was...almonds!

An it didn't last that long! On my other hand I tried Van Cleef and Arpels PH now that was a scent! that lasted for at least 8 hours!!

Basenotes Institution

Opium pour Homme = yawn...I found it WAY boring on me

I love love love the topnotes on the EDT, but I find it turns into something messy and gross after an hour or so. The EDP smells very different, ambery as you described, but I like it alot more as a whole and I wear it for most of the winter.

I smelled someone wearing opium on the bus the other day though and it was very nice.
    Last edited by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR; 2nd May 2007 at 01:25 PM.
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sa Majesté La Rose

I will post before I read the other posts: I absolutely love Opium pour homme, in fact I just sent a Basenoter a money order for his almost-full bottle of this juice. Oph is the essence of a man and movin' around an sweatin' just seems to make the sillage and projection that much better. It's inexpensive and versatile and....the very first fragrance I've worn on a regular basis. It rocks. It rolls....interestingly, one Basenoter referred to it as "sick" or "sickly," one of those...HA! (try before you buy!)

Thumbs up Re: Opium pour Homme - do you love it or hate it?

I love it. I don't wear it too often but it's great for cooler weather. The little bottle I have has lasted for years since I only wear a couple of drops.

Hear hear, Duncan, I'm with you on that one!

Not that I have any bias in this whatsoever, lol!