Code of Conduct

Question Fragrances applied on clothes or skin?

Hi everyone, I am fairly new to the world of fragances, and wanted to ask the following question...
    I have an extremly dry skin that just 'drinks' all of the fragrances that I put on. Even A*Men which is exceptionally long lasting, doesn't last more than 3 hours on my skin. Therefore I have been applying fragances on my clothes, where they seem to last longer. So my question is if the smell of the fragance changes, or is different when I use a fragrance on clothes than on the skin? Which one is better, skin or clothes?

Massive thanks
    Optimus

Default Re: Fragrances applied on clothes or skin?

in my opinion
    it really depends on the scent you are putting on
    i would say with a*men - a sparay on skin and one on shirt
    on the other hand, in my case, odeur 53 doesn't have much lasting strength so a couple or 3 sprays on shirt and one on chest or vise versa...
    i'm ultimately guessing that it really depends on the wear-er...
    strong or weak....(preference)
    wishlist:
    Chanel - Cuire de Ruissie and Eau de Cologne
    Penhaligons - Quercus, Castille, and Raquets
    Dior -Eau Noire, Dior Homme Cologne, Dior Homme Intense, and Dior Sweet Sun
    Frédéric Malle - Angelique sous la pluie and Eau d'Hiver
    L'Artisan - l'eau de l'artisan and bois farine
    Hermès - Elixir des Merveilles, Jardin sur Nil, and Hermessence Confret.

This is how I do it. If I'm wearing a color shirt, I spray it both on my skin and on my shirt. If I am wearing a white shirt, I only apply it on my skin, right after I have taken a shower.

A Miss Bendeth ('Scent Profiler', Canada) has been interveiwed by GrantO recently and she made some unique remarks on that topic.
    'How should a someone apply a cologne/EDT? What pitfalls should be avoided?'- Take it with a grain of salt . The lady derives income from her 'expert' knowledge, and spraying, I believe, is another form of art with mannerisms. You find the interview in the articles section. http://community.basenotes.net/newre...te=1&p=1019685
    I spray more freely if a cologne cologne only whispers or is too volatile. I still want to get a clear message from what I've paid for. Natural fiber and hair projects the cologne longer than skin does. As long as I don't spray until it gets wet, or unless the cologne is as dark as Ambre Sultan, I have no problem spraying a white shirt. There was more of a danger with splash bottles.
    Last edited by narcus; 1st May 2007 at 11:13 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I had a bright idea once to spray a bit of fragrance on clothes.... problem was that around the inner side of the collar the fragrance turned the shirt a horrible yellow colour which I haven't been able to get rid of..... not doing that one again in a hurry.

Basenotes Institution

Spray scents on clothing VERY CAREFULLY - it can stain. If it's an undershirt, that you don't mind staining - spray away.

I've found in my experience that the 'cheaper' colognes I have last MUCH longer on clothing than the higher quality scents. Don't really know why.

Optimus, I assume you are male since you are wearing A Men ( maybe not, I wear Crabtree and Evelyn Sandalwood cologne sometimes) and probably have short hair, but I have found spraying onto my hair helps with staying power. I have shoulder length hair. I also have very dry skin that eats everything! Using an unscented lotion before perfume helps alot, too.

Blog Entries

I think spraying on skin is optimal. You want the scent to mix with your natural chemistry and evolve though all the stages (topnotes, middle notes, basenotes). The scent can't do that correctly if it's applied to fabric. If longevity of a certain scent is an issue, just use a couple extra sprays.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

I put on fragrance free, light body lotion on wrist, face and neck and let it soak in before spraying on, be it EDT, EDP or Parfum. I've found that it makes the scent last longer. I still have to try to spray fragrances on clothes. When wearing a dark dinner jacket I think I'd spray the fragrance on the jacket.

I have read somewehere (on Turin's guide also) that the perfume sprayed on the inside of clothes should have a longer lasting than on skin - mainly because there are quite a lot of difference skins, and also the same skin could change condition during the day.
    I personally spray my edt on the inside of my clothes, on neck and on wrist - and it clearly lasts much more on clothes than on skin

Try applying fragrance to your hair; it will still be able to interact with your chemistry, and hair is also well known for the way in which it holds scent (think of the way your hair smell the morning after a smoky party). You'll need to stick with fragrance-free hair products, of course...

Skin only. I'd never risk staining my clothes.

It's usually at least 10-15 minutes between when I apply cologne and when I get dressed.

Since I only apply to my neck, torso and arms, it's no big deal.