Code of Conduct

Question Firms that do copies of discontinued fragrances ?

Hi,
    You´ve all heard of the firms that immitate fragrances, ( Far-and-high = Fahrenheit, etc.etc.) Sometimes they are actually astoundingly accurate !
    I would however prefer to pay more and get the original fragrance, but when a certain fragrance is no longer produced they could prove very useful.
    Does anyone know of such firms / examples ?
    eg. copies of Beverly Hills Red for Men. Aramis Havanna for Men, etc.
    A cheap copy of a discontinued fragrance would be a good compromise, rather than paying the earth on ebay.
    Any advice would be much appreciated !

Default Re: Firms that do copies of discontinued fragrances ?

I can't vouch for the quality as I've not tried them, but I ran across a company that does this on Ebay:

http://stores.ebay.com/custom-blended-perfumes

As I recall http://www.ava-luxe.com/ also does this to some degree but their web site is currently closed so I can't check for sure.

If you do give them a try I would be interested in hearing your feedback.
    Last edited by oolong; 1st May 2007 at 07:59 PM.
    In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane - Oscar Wilde

I haven't tried this ebay seller but they have some copies of Giorgio and Red and decent feedback. It might be worth a try.

http://cgi.ebay.com/RED-for-MEN-by-G...QQcmdZViewItem
    Last edited by AZsmells; 1st May 2007 at 07:18 PM.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

There are a few firms in Switzerland specialized on imitation fragrances. I just bought a sample box (of fourty) out of curiosity for about 10$. Decent smelling stuff. Ma griffe really smelled good. But I have not sampled them all yet. The thing is that they usually imitate the most popular designer fragrances. I either have those or do not care for them. According to bottle shapes I've seen, Gaultier is one of the more exclusive brands they copy.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Basenotes Institution

I second the Ava Luxe recommendation - however most of her 'versions' of other scents are women's scents, however the quality is amazing.

Although most of the fragrance are for women, Long Lost Perfume, tries to make exact copies of perfumes that are no longer available. Some are superb: Lentheric's Tweed, Raphael's Replique, Elizabeth Arden's Memoire Cherie. Some, unfortunately, are not as good. Both the Tuvache formulations - Jungle Gardenia and Tuvara - lack something. The owner of this company is honest enough to say that it is extremely hard to copy these scents since the major basenotes - the nitro musks - are no longer allowed. But it is here that one can again appreciate some of the real treasures that were popular during the Fifties and earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by opalsdad View Post
    Although most of the fragrance are for women, Long Lost Perfume, tries to make exact copies of perfumes that are no longer available. ....
    Aren't they the ones who usually also hold licenses of 'lost' perfumes? They seem to be a totally serious, legitimate enterprise. I am still considering to ask for the Old Brand Jean' d'Albret which made a masculine cologne I do not know at all, and a feminine 'Ecusson' which is on a pedestal in my memories. I think that one might be classified as unisex in our days. Who remembers the brand called name 'Le Gallion'? I think they were very popular in the fifties and sixties (?) . They obviously also had one cologne for men.
    Thanks for your reassuring comments, opalsdad.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Yes, they have copyright(?) on some of their fragrance names as well as the formulae. I have a bottle of their copy of Evyan's The Baron and it is spot on. Some of their fragrances could - I believe - be successfully worn by a guy: Replique, Bakir and Chaos. They carry two scents by Jean D'Albert - Casaque and Ecusson. Both are very good but the Casaque is missing something that was in the original (it is more like White Shoulders). The Ecusson is excellent. Le Galion's Sortilege has been remade but this is not a scent for a guy. I remember this company well and their men's scent was an excellent example of the cologne a man - a very sophisticated man - would have worn. They also had a beauty called Snob which seemed to be a variation of Joy. Many years ago I remember seeing dozens of bottles of their Megara for sale at our local Army and Navy store. Sure wished I had picked up a couple!