Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default The Ava Luxe Experience (Spring / Summer Edition) - The Next Level!!

Yes, you guessed it!
    This is one leopard who hasn't changed her spots...
    So who's with me?

This is a thread for adding all your successful (and less than successful) Ava Luxe crazy combos! It has been an amazing experience indulging myself in all things Ava Luxe and i have enjoyed every minute but there have been a few times when I have thought a blend would be perfect layered with another scent. I managed to abstain but now I am free, free to experiment and I am hoping that you will join me...!

There are two main ways of doing this:

Freestyle
    You pick the Ava Luxe perfume (do let us know whether it is the parfum, EDP or scented body lotion) that you wish to explore / experiment with and share with us any potential or actual crazy combos you think of involving this perfume. Then report back on the results. Your only restriction is that your combo MUST include at least ONE Ava Luxe perfume. Simple!

Focussed
    Your only restriction here is that your combo MUST include ONLY Ava Luxe perfumes (in either parfum, EDP and / or body product formulation). Simple!

Please remember to make a note of which combinations you tried when reporting back and to make sure to answer the core questions:

What did you try?
    Did you like it?
    Do you think it ‘works’?
    Did it elicit compliments / comments?
    Which notes dominated in the blend?
    Did it work out the way you imagined it would?
    Would you wear it again?

But most importantly

HAVE FUN!!!

Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Default Re: The Ava Luxe Experience (Spring / Summer Edition) - The Next Level!!

oh this sounds ineresting!! Yesterday I tried my new Ava Luxe "Milk"perfume roll-on with her "Chocolate" scent (perfume roll-on)....yummy liquid brownie scent and then the Chocolate faded out leaving just the Milk....a perfect "pick me up" combo!
    Last edited by edain33; 1st May 2007 at 06:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: The Ava Luxe Experience (Spring / Summer Edition) - The Next Level!!

Today I'm trying Forbidden Fruits layered of SL Ambre Sultan. So far so good! The Forbidden Fruits is retaining all of its character but I'm getting warm blasts of cream ambered woods as well.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm wearing AL Venus Sands(edp) layered with AL Heart Of Glass(edp) and loving the result. Venus Sands is a soft coconut, floral with a hint of musk on me - very 'barefoot & beachy' . Adding Heart Of Glass, which is all tuberose on me, compliments the floral notes in VS, turning it into something special for evening. A great twosome to take on holiday!

Post Thanks / Like

Ambre Sultan is fighting back now! This morning the fruits dominated - now it's the amber. But both are very much present.
    --------------------------------------
    Well Ambre Sultan won the battle yesterday. It was a nice experiment but I think I'd rather wear both fragrances on their own.

Today, though, I'm trying Opoponax Intense with Creed Royal English Leather. The leathery notes in the Opoponax seem to compliment REL perfectly. This is an excellent combination so far.
    Last edited by Indiscreet; 3rd May 2007 at 08:26 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

What did you try? Ava Luxe Palisander EDP + TBS Pink Pepper EDP

Ava Luxe Palisander EDP
    Notes: Palisander wood (from renewable sources), Japanese Hiba wood, Amber, Incense, Musk, Pink Pepper, Cinnamon, Vetiver

TBS Pink Pepper EDP
    Top: Mandarin Flower, Nutmeg, Ginger, and Freesia.
    Heart: Pink Pepper, Cardamom, Pimento, and Jasmine Petal.
    Base: Amber, Sandalwood, Vanilla Bean, Cedar, and Tonka Bean.

Did you like it?
    Yes.

Do you think it ‘works’?
    Yes. The two scents melded together seamlessly creating a new 'complete' scent that worked very well.

No. I did not see anyone for them to comment. This is a blend that will work much better in the warmer summer weather, than it did on this cold grey spring day.

First the scent was quite 'pink', though note 'girly', with the cardamom and pink pepper holding sway and softly spicy due to the various other spices. Then the scent became quite dry and incensey though still very low key, due to the incense and soft florals. Finally the woods dominated all with the amber and musk softening any rough edges. I would have prefered it slightly drier and woodier but I like my woods quite arid personally. The delicious 'skin-but-better' base is subtly sexy and very longlasting. I can see this seducing the unwary in their droves this summer.

Yes and no. As you can see there are immediate similarities between the two blends, especially with the pink pepper, wood and amber accord core of each scent. I expected them to work well together but did not realise that they would meld so seamlessly that it was almost impossible to tell the two scents apart. I thought it would feature more dry (rose)wood but it became a subtly seductive grown up version of the more innocent TBS Pink Pepper perfume. My skin tends to eat smooth amber / wood / musk bases, so I expect that this would be even more impressive on less aggressive skin chemistry.

Would you wear it again?
    Absolutely! I was inspired to try this combo because I wanted to add depth and longevity to the TBS perfume without compromising the delicate pink pepper character of the perfume. I achieved that - maybe too well.

This combo will allow me to wear Pink Pepper this summer without worrying about sillage and longevity and the added woods, incense and spice add a complexity and elegance that takes this original scent to another level. A superb combo - even if I do say so myself.

out of

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Ooh, I can do this! In a limited way. I got 9 samples today and I haven't even tried them yet.
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

What did you try? Ava Luxe Rasa Xtreme parfum + Coty L'Aimant PdT

Ava Luxe Rasa Xtreme parfum
    Notes: Indian Musk, Kenya Musk, Skin Musk, Egyptian Musk, Peruvian Balsam, Ambergris, Civit, Orris Root - (IRIS PALLIDA), Russian Rose - (ROSA DAMASCENA)

Coty L'Aimant PdT
    Top: Bergamot, Neroli, Peach, and Strawberry.
    Heart: Rose, Jasmine, Ylang-Ylang.
    Base: Amber, Sandalwood, Vanilla, Vetiver, Cedar and Musk.

Did you like it?
    Yes!

Do you think it ‘works’?
    Yes. The two scents worked together creating a new 'complete' scent that worked very well.

Yes. SO noticed immediately and complimented me on how 'fresh' and 'feminine' it was. Later, when it had settled and fully dried down, he still liked it though it was more musky and seductive at this time. This is a blend that will work much better in the warmer summer weather.

Rose, amber, musk...musk, musk and rose. At first the blend was rich fresh aldehydic like a 1950s bunch of rosebuds very ladylike. Then the scent settled and became quite warm and earthy though still very low key, due to the soft florals. Eventually the musks dominated all with the amber, balsam, woods and musk softening any rough edges. The seductive animalic powdery base (ambergris, orris) was very sexy and longlasting.

Yes. I expected them to work well together as they both feature velvety rose and animalic musk notes. I had thought that the combo would feature more musk since Rasa Xtreme is such a musk dominates blend but the sharper fresher pseudo-innocent l'Aimant held its own and 'raised' the scent stopping it from being spoilt by excess. The whole became cleaner well behaved summery rose scent which just got sexier and sexier without getting too heavy or smutty. it was quite reminiscent of Lorenzo Villoresi Musk but with greater depth, complexity and longevity.

Would you wear it again?
    Absolutely! I was inspired to try this combo because I wanted to add depth and longevity to my beloved Coty L'Aimant perfume without compromising the elegant aldehydic floral character of the perfume.

This combo will allow me to wear Coty L'Aimant and Ava Luxe Rasa Xtreme this summer without worrying about the lack of longevity in the former and the potentially overwhelmingly animalic potency of the later. Worn together they create a complex and elegant blend that allows me to enjoy the best of both of them. Another great combo and a 'keeper' for me.

out of
    Last edited by moondeva; 9th May 2007 at 12:39 AM.

I'll bite.
    This is a delicious challenge that feeds my glorious obsession for layering

What did you try?
    CREED's HIMALAYA : notes of mandarin, grapefruit, pepper, musk, amber, sandalwood, cedar (I think) as a base with AVA LUXE LOVE"S TRUE BLUISH LIGHT t: white vanilla, white amber, milky notes, musk in body lotion form or a mild spray on either inner forearm of the edp

Did you like it? LOVE IT and very easy to wear.

Do you think it ‘works’? ABSOLUTELY! the brisk bright edge of Himalaya truly benefits from the warm musky sweet notes of LTBL. Both frags are strong personalities on their own, but I find that the LTBL carries a greater sillage for me, at least, so for this combo it is good to go easy on the Ava Luxe application or the sweetness tends to dominate.
    This is a great yin/yang balanced combination.

Did it elicit compliments / comments? YES, INDEED, several times. Once from a complete stranger , a patient on a stretcher in the ER where I work. Other times from coworkers. I love to sniff my garments after wearing this. It permeates fabric rather hauntingly.

Which notes dominated in the blend? Grapefruit and Vanilla in the opening, Amber and Musk in the drydown with Sandalwood quietly making its presence known as well.

Did it work out the way you imagined it would? It was a delightful surprise that I went into intuitively with no specific expectations. The depth and complexity of the result make it particularly satisfying. In my opinion, the vanilla tips the scale a bit to the feminine side, which pleases me. The result is decidedly Girly Himalaya.

Would you wear it again? ABSOLUTELY, it has become a favorite combo for me. Love it and highly recommend it.
    Last edited by rtamara41; 9th May 2007 at 03:03 AM.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Post Thanks / Like

(Stands in doorway - restlessly tapping toe - anxiously awaiting both the arrival of the next two rounds of AL samples and the time allotted to try all the other new frags ordered in the meantime.)

Bravo Moondeva for suggesting some new ways to experience our passion!!!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Post Thanks / Like

I know how you feel, Taolady! The postman rang at the door today and I got all excited, only to find it was a package for my boss. *sighs heavily*

Post Thanks / Like

(5/11/07)OK - here's my first report in Free Style - which I have to admit was (almost) accidental!!

Had set out my sample of eagerly awaited Cafe Noir in the bathroom for today's SotD but while still in the Mistress Bedroom sleepily doused on Tuvache's Jungle Gardenia - a creamy, delicate but straightforward interpretation by Coty of the old, powerful original. Arriving in the bathroom, remembered, and layered on Cafe Noir anyway and voila! A most serendipitous coupling!!

To quote myself: "I am heiress to a coffee plantation, swathed in a silk kimono, taking early morning coffee on the wide verandah of The Big House. The coffee is strong and laced with heavy cream. Wafting up from the kitchen is the fragrance of lavender and gardenia - the gardenia the most compelling. The sky is a brilliant blue - the air heavy and sweet. Life is perfect!!"

(5/12/07) Another Ava Luxe Free Style Layering day for me - started with Jivago's 7 Notes - (thanks for the tip ComDiva!!) ...listen to these yummy notes: Pear, mango, jasmine, orchid lotus over cinnamon and amber, sandalwood and musk. A well balanced medley - lightly fruited musk!!

And then - AL's Forbidden Fruits - in which the cinnamon is on top! Together with pepper and cardamom - then fig and pomegranate over African woods, vetiver and frankincense and myrrh.

I got the figgy pomegranate - slightly tart and musky right away. A great crescendo over the legato 7 Notes.

Did you like it? Yumsters!!

Do you think it ‘works’?
    Absolutely!!

Did it elicit compliments / comments? Will let you know. Haven't yet left for The Outside World.

Which notes dominated in the blend? Varies. At the start - it was musky/smoky. Right now there's a lot of pear and fig. AL's are always morphing on me.

Did it work out the way you imagined it would? Better!!

Would you wear it again? As soon as I stock up!!

(5/13/07) (I seem to have this thread all to myself here at the moment!!

But let me share today's experience. First off AL Moss together with Malle's Carnal Flower. WOW!!

The Moss is classified as Chypre - and it started out sort of lime-ish, morphed into a light lavender and has settled into a dry mossy green. Carnal Flower is of course a triumph in tuberose and I plan on selling my soul to acquire a full bottle.

Did you like it? Yeah - but the Moss is not long on longevity and sits close to the skin. To pair with the vibrancy of Carnal Flower I think I need something with more guts and sillage.

Do you think it ‘works’? See above.

Did it elicit compliments / comments? Am having lunch with a friend and her daughter and will let you know!

Which notes dominated in the blend? Varies. At the outset the lavender and lime in the Moss and the tuberose complemented each other very well - but now (two hours in) the tuberose definitely has center stage.

Did it work out the way you imagined it would? Not quite. Thought the Moss might be mossier.

Would you wear it again? Gonna keep re-applying and then make up my mind.

(5/14/07) It's me. Still!!

Uncharacteristically chilly this ayem so AL Loves True Bluish Light (love that name) and L'Artisan Mechant Loup. Big Bad Wolf meets - good little girl!!

ML - "'Bathed in forest scents...With Hazelnut at its core.'..Notes: cedar, liquorice, hazelnut, honey...Like many of the L'Artisans, this one is extremely watery, with poor sillage and even poorer longevity. It is a mildly intriguing smell, but wont qualify as a good fragrance for me. After I had my way with the "big bad wolf", it whimpered away with its tail between its legs." Swiped (without his permission) from the review by one of my favorite reviewers here - ZZTop. That's sort of how it's happening for me.

I first off got cedar then the honey with a slight hint of licorice and now the honeyed dry down. LTBL is all mellow milky vanilla!

I'm HONGRY!

This did not work quite the way I thought it would. Thought my bod would pick up more of the nutsy/woodsy in Big Bad Wolf to offset the milky vanilla in LTBL. Right now (two hours in) the whole effect is rather blah. Neither of these juices has much potency on moi - sigh.
    Last edited by TaoLady; 14th May 2007 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Somewhere or other I posred about the combo of AL MV with Balmain's Vent Vert (the reformulation). I loved these two together the VV brightened up the MV and gave it a lot of sillage. Made the MV sort of a neon bright violet. It worked wonderfully and the effect was ultimately more MV in feel than Vent Vert.

I will have try MV with a chypre like Blazer or Choc.

Moss w/ Silk- woody, smooth,deeply green.
    Moss w/ La Haie Fleurie- jasmines w/ moss- what's not to like ?
    Moss w/ Midnight Violet- intensifies the woodland experience !
    Royal Parvati w/ Madame X- Wowzers !

I better stop now...
    [Actually, I had tried all these, before I started posting here- how lovely to discover fellow adorers of this sweet lady's work !]

AL Peonies over Egyptian Musk! (Peonies was the EDP and The musk was a parfum)

This worked flawlessly, the peony soliflore (alright there is a bit of rose and some musk base to begin with) combined beautifully with the creamy AL Egyptian musk. The additional musk took away the sharper note form the peony scent and the overall effect was splendidly floral, clean sensuous and long lasting...just the way I like it!

This was noticed by colleagues at work who found it disappointing when they learned it was a layering result and not something in a bottle.
    Last edited by Zibeline; 25th May 2007 at 04:40 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

AL Absinthe (thanks for the reccommend MikePerez!!) together with Sa Majeste La Rose!!

Sometimes in layering I'll apply one frag in the early ayem - then the second a few hours later when the first is in final drydown.

Did that with this combo. On me, Her Majesty settles into a honeyed creamy rose at the end - and when Absinthe is first applied (on me) it is all spearmint! A crisp contrast to the dreamy rose. Then the AL settles into a sort of Pernod-ish herbal that is equally supportive of the roses.

Worked like I thought it might. Haven't taken it out into the world yet to see if it is noticed or elicits compliments. No particular note dominates. And I will definitely do it again!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Taolady View Post
    AL Absinthe (thanks for the reccommend MikePerez!!) together with Sa Majeste La Rose!!

Sometimes in layering I'll apply one frag in the early ayem - then the second a few hours later when the first is in final drydown.

Did that with this combo. On me, Her Majesty settles into a honeyed creamy rose at the end - and when Absinthe is first applied (on me) it is all spearmint! A crisp contrast to the dreamy rose. Then the AL settles into a sort of Pernod-ish herbal that is equally supportive of the roses.

Worked like I thought it might. Haven't taken it out into the world yet to see if it is noticed or elicits compliments. No particular note dominates. And I will definitely do it again!!
    Wow! What an original combo! Ava Luxe Absinthe is all spearmint and pernod on me too, Taolady and I love it! Sadly SO only gets the bitter wormwood so, be prepared for others to be less than enamoured of the combo...

I shall definitely have to try this combo! Maybe it will make the amazing Absinthe more palatable to those around me and I can add it back on to my Full Bottle to Buy list. I am thinking that the distinctive Pernod note (great description by the way) would also work with other rose dominated scents, especially more intense, fresh or velvety, boozy ones.

Maybe Yves Rocher Rose Ispahan, TBS Tea Rose, Crabtree & Evelyn Evelyn, YSL Paris, Guerlain Nahema, Creed Rose de The Bulgare, Yves Rocher Rose Absolue, TBS Cassis Rose, Crabtree & Evelyn Evelyn Rose would all work well in concert with Ava Luxe Absinthe...?