Code of Conduct

Unhappy Unboxed perfumes do lose their Top notes!!!!

Light does play havoc with the top notes of unboxed perfume bottles. I had read it innumerable times here but didnt know how it really affected the character of the perfume.

Its only yesterday when i received an unboxed tester bottle of Lancetti via condotti pour homme, i realized that it smells different for the first 10 seconds of spraying. I pretty much smell alcohol and then the normal peachy smell of lancetti via condotti takes over.

Infact i had bought an unboxed M7 Fresh tester a couple of months ago. It exhibited similar traits but i refused to believe it until i sprayed Lancetti yesterday. They both smell of alcohol for the first 10 seconds and then reveal their true nature of the fragrance. Its the opening that smells of alcohol and then the fragrance is pretty much the same.

I am not too sure about how it affects the longevity but will try to compare it with boxed counterparts since i have boxed bottles of both of these.

Conclusion: It is well worth to pay that little bit extra to get a boxed bottle.
    Also its advisable not to remove your bottles from their respective boxes.

gupts

Default Re: Unboxed perfumes do lose their Top notes!!!!

I agree that a boxed bottle is preferable, but what you describe sounds normal
    to me: The first few seconds of an applied fragrance are always dominated by
    the alcohol smell. I usually blow air over the applied area before sniffing it
    just to make sure the alcohol has evaporated.

It's true, in the long term light can play havoc with certain top notes. Citrus fragrances especially tend to go "off" very fast when exposed to light. Some people actually keep their fragrances in a special refrigerator to slow the degredation as well.

Though I am relatively new to fragrances as a whole, I have always thought it makes sense to store the bottles away from light. This is something I picked up from my other interest in health foods

It's a good question about whether the sellers we buy unboxed testers are storing the bottles in the light or not.
    Where once there was no scents to it all, now the world opens before me!

The box has nothing to do with it if you store them properly - in a cool (preferably 40-50 f), dark, dry place.

A wine refrigerator is best as it allows you to control temperature and humidity levels to a much greater extent than a regular refrigerator.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    The box has nothing to do with it if you store them properly - in a cool (preferably 40-50 f), dark, dry place.

A wine refrigerator is best as it allows you to control temperature and humidity levels to a much greater extent than a regular refrigerator.

Pluran when you buy unboxed bottles you dont know how has the seller handled the bottles. You may give it proper treatment once its yours but its history maybe scarred.

gupts