Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Long-lasting fragrances

At the weekend, I sampled Angel, and although it really didn't work for me, the one thing I was amazed by was how long it lasted on my skin (waaaay too long!). And it got me wondering. Longevity and sillage are big attractions for me. So I thought I'd ask you experts if you can recommend long-lasting perfumes. I don't know if I'm just suffering olfactory fatigue, but most of the fragrances I spray on these days last hardly any time at all.

My particular favourite types of fragrances are florals, florientals and chypres. I'm not into marine smells or gourmand. But if I could get a fragrance with the staying power of Angel, I would be most happy.

Ones I've recently tried are Stella McCartney's Rose (didn't last half an hour), Lancome's Hypnose (not bad at all. Lovely frag, lasted a while, but tapered eventually), SJP Lovely (too much like Narciso Rodriguez for me to bother). There are probably others that I can't bring to mind right away.
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Default Re: Long-lasting fragrances

Bond no 9 Chinatown have terrific longevity and sillage on me, it just keeps blooming and glowing for over 24h after application.

I have a problem with scents lasting on me, even Angel if I don't use the matching Angel lotion.
    I've found Apercu by Houbigant & Rochas Femme to be long lasting chypres.
    Michael by Michael Kors & Fracas to be long lasting florals.
    Chanel's Allure, Caron's Parfum Sacre & YSL's Cinema are long lasting orientals on my skin.

I seem to suffer long-term(learned) olfactory fatigue since some of my favorites used to last good ten to twenty(!) hours on my skin, but the more I use them really the shorter they seem to last. It may be the weather too though since its gotton a lot warmer and humid. Still a good reason to alternate between scent and own yet another bottle.lol

Basenotes Institution

Clemmie - hopefully, besides trying other scents that might have more longevity to them, you're also considering trying scents you DO LIKE in a eau de parfum or parfum version (if it's not too out of your price range).

If yes, and you still aren't finding scents you like with above average longevity, I would try:

Poison by Dior
    Black Orchid by Tom Ford
    Must by Cartier
    Gaultier 2 by JP Gaultier
    Virgin Island Water by Creed (this is NOT a marine scent...it's lime/tropical oriented)
    Mitsouko by Guerlain
    Pomegranate Noir by Jo Malone

Good luck.

Off-Scenter

Here are a few that last well on me and/or my wife:

Sa Majeste la Rose (monster sillage!)
    Black Aoud (good for at least 24 hours)
    Amber Sultan
    Timbuktu
    Miel de Bois
    Parfum Sacre
    Musc Ravageur

Good luck hunting!

Clemmie,
    If you get the spare time to post your wardrobe, we can add more. Ditto on Mitsouko and Ambre Sultan. And Opium even in edt lasts for ages.

For me a number of the Estee Lauder scents have great staying power

Intuition
    Estee
    Private Collection
    Cinnabar

Molinard de Molinard and Habinita by Molinard

Boudoir
    Anais Anais
    Misuki

Vanilla Musk by Coty
    Lady Stetson by Coty

There should be something for every price range in there.

Ysatis and Sublime last a long time.

interesting i know the most horrible fragrances last too lone i remember long ago noting that about Gale Hayman and her Bevery Hills fragrance (at least i think that was it) i think the greats are more fleeting

I like florals, too, and florientals. Some of my most favorite fragrances are transparent/translucent florals, which I've come to know means fragrances without much base -- a bit of musk and touch of sandalwood that really barely supports the heart notes.
    I embrace a light bit of vanilla with wafting hint of patchouli. These types of fragrances by their very nature are limited to 4 hours or so, and I make little 2ml spritzers for myself of most of them for my purse.

As I explored fragrances, I realized I like musk, patchouli, vanilla, and vetiver in whatever dose may be thrown. Sandalwood is a supporting player, usually, as would be incense. I take very little amber, and even less cedar. These are more classically balanced, and heavier from the get go. They have a very different character.

No oakmoss.

There are other long lasting base notes, and "base-y" florals. Jasmine and tuberose in particular are heady longlasting florals. These are the most common, and they make a fragrance last--not only because they last so long themselves, but because they hold the heart notes as a fixative stretching them out as well.

Every variation of these combinations can be found, and I've always thought about how Angel lasts forever---there aren't any flowers. Angel can pile on heavy basenotes and never overwhelm or bury any delicate notes. Gourmands tend to all aobut heavy basenotes---cocoa, vanilla, bitter almond, etc.

Chinatown is a laster, for sure, and heaven knows at that price it better be. Look at it's notes! Gardenia and tuberose, and almost every basenote in the book. For roses, I get along with Creed's Fleur de The Rose Bulgare as a laster, and I think Penhaligon's Elizabethan Rose is a laster as well.

There's a range and variation in the industry on what percentage oils constitute a parfum, EdP and EdT. Classic houses especially have not only different concentration but different proportions of notes in parfums and parfums last longer for those reasons. I usually think of a parfum as the way a fragrance is "meant" to be. It's not always the case, of course, and I prefer Paris EdT over the EdP version (speaking of LASTERS.) Lolita Lempicka EdP is also very long lasting -- thanks to vanilla and anise. Violetta de Parma by Borsari lasts well for me.
    Last edited by Shycat; 2nd May 2007 at 06:24 AM.
    Please, spritz responsibly.

I want perfumes to last long, too. It is one of the things I am considering before buying. Among the chypres and florals I have, I find these really longlasting on my skin:

Guerlain Mitsouko EdT
    Chanel No 19 EdP
    Chanel Cristalle, both EdT and EdP
    YSL Rive Gauche EdT
    J del Pozo In Black EdT
    Guerlain Insolence EdT
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, L´Heure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.

I am often amazed when people say that, for instance, Angel doesn't last on them! I think that the what really doesn't last mostly is the ability to perceive a fragrance on you, because it is natural for the sense of smell to switch out after a short while when being overloaded. This does often result in multiple applications and monster scent clouds that will knock out everybody but yourself!

Generally synthetic perfume compounds have a higher tenacity, with a few exceptions, for instance patchouly.
    But to answer the original question, I think that all Lutens florals have huge staying power. With the chypres Paloma Picasso is a good one.

Angel doesn't last so well on me, to be honest. A few hours but then it fades.
    As I swap fragrances a lot, I don't really have time to get used to anything.

What works for me:

Dior Poison
    Dior Hypnotic Poison
    Clinique Aromatics Elixir (though this turns soapy on me unfortunately and I may get rid of it)
    Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan
    Serge Lutens Miel de Bois
    Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur
    Guerlain Mitsouko
    Thierry Mugler Alien

Most of the Ava Luxes I sampled have terrific longevity - some go through a quiet period about five hours after application and then get a new lease of life again.

On me, all of the Chanel's have great staying power. They just last and last regardless of the concentration.

Chanel No.19 in perfume
    Allure EDT and EDP
    Coco EDP
    Cristalle
    Chance EDP

I also agree that Chinatown has an amazing staying power, 24 hours or even more.
    “I am an excitable person who only understands life lyrically, musically, in whom feelings are much stronger as reason. I am so thirsty for the marvelous that only the marvelous has power over me. Anything I can not transform into something marvelous, I let go. Reality doesn't impress me. I only believe in intoxication, in ecstasy, and when ordinary life shackles me, I escape, one way or another. No more walls.”-Anais Nin

I should point out the Poison and Hypnotic Poison are EDT, yet they last the day for me. Super longevity.
    EDP everything else, apart from Mitsouko, where I have the parfum.

Thumbs up Re: Long-lasting fragrances

I second Paloma Picasso as a all nighter. It is a Chypre - but really beautiful. Another that seems to last great on my skin is Bond West Side and Creed Fleur The Bulgare Rose.
    Femme Rochas EDT and Dolce Gabbana Femme (red lid) are spicy scents that linger forever.
    There is a good thread 'I am the sillage slayer' or 'sillage monsters' that has some good recs.
    Last edited by Gumoosh; 2nd May 2007 at 10:27 AM.

YSL Paris ( not the LE, that's lovely but fades fast)
    Quite a few of the Jo Malones work for me - Pom Noir, Lime, Basil & Mandarin
    Jaipur (which I have recently rediscovered)

Tabu - Youth Dew (practically anything by Lauder - Madame always said "If you can't smell 'em - you can't sell 'em!!") - Bal a Versailles - Habanita - (phone's ringing - gotta go!)
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Let me chime in for Paloma Picasso, too. It's one of my "new" vintage minis curtesy of the newspaper print drawer. It's a chypre???? EEEEP! It is, I know, but it's a chypre for chypre haters. There's a lot more going on than bergamot and oakmoss, and I suppose the hyacinth in the top and the patchouli and honey and the base smooth it out for me.

I wouldn't wear it to Kroger's though I think I'll enjoy it with bluejeans and a plain white T-shirt. I can wear my old engagement ring on the right hand, stacked with my three stone, my significant studs, a thick Italian gold bracelet, my ubiquitous tennis bracelet.....yeah, it's all falling into to place.

I might need a Rolex.
    Last edited by Shycat; 2nd May 2007 at 01:58 PM.
    Please, spritz responsibly.

Quote Originally Posted by jazztweety View Post
    I am often amazed when people say that, for instance, Angel doesn't last on them! I think that the what really doesn't last mostly is the ability to perceive a fragrance on you, because it is natural for the sense of smell to switch out after a short while when being overloaded. This does often result in multiple applications and monster scent clouds that will knock out everybody but yourself!

Generally synthetic perfume compounds have a higher tenacity, with a few exceptions, for instance patchouly.
    But to answer the original question, I think that all Lutens florals have huge staying power. With the chypres Paloma Picasso is a good one.

I'll have to agree with this as I have experienced this overload myself and ended up reapplying too frequently. So now, when I absolutely must smell the fragrance myself, I pack the bottle along so I can get a few quick and discreet sniffs when needed.

Also I have had the experience of smelling something nice late in the evening and realizing it was me after all and long after I felt the scent was gone.

I find there are some super long lasting ones: the Chanels, Mitsouko and Shalimar, ALL Floris and Penhaligon scents, the Fendis, and anything on the woody side. Penhaligons and Floris tend to be pretty linear and the rose (or whatever) you started out with is what you will keep, while the others tend to evolve more.

There is a coworker who regularly (daily!) walks around in an Angel cloud and is utterly convinced that her skin is changing and she can't smell it. Since living with this I apply with a lighter hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Shycat View Post
    Let me chime in for Paloma Picasso, too. It's one of my "new" vintage minis curtesy of the newspaper print drawer. It's a chypre???? EEEEP! It is, I know, but it's a chypre for chypre haters. There's a lot more going on than bergamot and oakmoss, and I suppose the hyacinth in the top and the patchouli and honey and the base smooth it out for me.

I wouldn't wear it to Kroger's though I think I'll enjoy it with bluejeans and a plain white T-shirt. I can wear my old engagement ring on the right hand, stacked with my three stone, my significant studs, a thick Italian gold bracelet, my ubiquitous tennis bracelet.....yeah, it's all falling into to place.

I might need a Rolex.
    I totally agree that Paloma Picasso is a chypre for chypre-haters! I never met a chypre I liked until PP. I've always found them too sharp, cool and pungent on me. PP is warmer and much smoother than most. I love it!
    "Woe to the one who's love of elixirs, grows into madness"
    :bounce:

Quote Originally Posted by Zibeline View Post
    There is a coworker who regularly (daily!) walks around in an Angel cloud and is utterly convinced that her skin is changing and she can't smell it. Since living with this I apply with a lighter hand.
    This seems to happen to a lot of Angel admirers - because you smell it often in huge clouds (it was my sig for a couple of years, but only tiny amounts!), and that somehow spoiled it for me. Since it contains lots of patchouly, which is one of the most potent natural essences at all, it's longevity is outstanding.

Taolady is for sure right naming Tabu, that's a sillage monster (also patchouly)

I'm not the great chypre gal, but PP is really classy!

Thank you all for your suggestions. Many of them are fragrances I have already, and I'm thinking it is my nose that's the problem rather than the fragrances.

I have Sa Majeste La Rose. It doesn't last too long on me, but I adore it.
    I have Ambre Sultan - am having a problem with the smell of that being reminiscent of Catholic mass (lapsed Catholic eek!)
    I have Mitsouko...it's STRONG but doesn't last a huge length of time on me
    I have a sample of Miel du Bois, and I agree that one just keeps on going.
    I have Ysatis. It used to last on me...again, maybe it's just my nose?

Will have to check out Palomo Picasso (I have a feeling I may have tried his in the past and found it more pleasant than I expected).

I've yet to try Jo Malone's frags..but they're on the list!

I'm wearing Tabac Blond EDP today and am pleasantly surprised to find the basenote is still lingering. Mind you, I did rather ladle it on this morning! :-)
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyra View Post
    Clemmie,
    If you get the spare time to post your wardrobe, we can add more. Ditto on Mitsouko and Ambre Sultan. And Opium even in edt lasts for ages.
    How do you post your wardrobe? Such a newbie I am! :-) I've stuck everything that I have into it, but haven't a clue how to make it public.
    Last edited by Clemmie; 2nd May 2007 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Bill Cosby

Another vote for Miel de Bois
    Wonderful lasting power You will be enjoying this lovely lovely fragrance all day.

Quote Originally Posted by Clemmie View Post
    Thank you all for your suggestions. Many of them are fragrances I have already, and I'm thinking it is my nose that's the problem rather than the fragrances.

I have Sa Majeste La Rose. It doesn't last too long on me, but I adore it.
    I have Ambre Sultan - am having a problem with the smell of that being reminiscent of Catholic mass (lapsed Catholic eek!)
    I have Mitsouko...it's STRONG but doesn't last a huge length of time on me
    I have a sample of Miel du Bois, and I agree that one just keeps on going.
    I have Ysatis. It used to last on me...again, maybe it's just my nose?

Will have to check out Palomo Picasso (I have a feeling I may have tried his in the past and found it more pleasant than I expected).

I've yet to try Jo Malone's frags..but they're on the list!

I'm wearing Tabac Blond EDP today and am pleasantly surprised to find the basenote is still lingering. Mind you, I did rather ladle it on this morning! :-)

How do you post your wardrobe? Such a newbie I am! :-) I've stuck everything that I have into it, but haven't a clue how to make it public.
    Hi Clemmie!
    Just go to top of page here and click on User CP.
    Then click on Edit Profile.
    Scroll down to See Wardrobe In Posts and check "see wardrobe" in the dropdown menu. That should do it!
    "Woe to the one who's love of elixirs, grows into madness"
    :bounce:

Quote Originally Posted by spicegirl View Post
    Hi Clemmie!
    Just go to top of page here and click on User CP.
    Then click on Edit Profile.
    Scroll down to See Wardrobe In Posts and check "see wardrobe" in the dropdown menu. That should do it!
    Hopefully that's done now. Thanks for the help with that!
    Bill Cosby

I second Tom Ford's Black Orchid, incredible staying power and there's patchouli in it also. But other TF-inspired fragrances have great longevity on my skin, like Youth Dew Amber Nude and Nu EdP. And I would like to add almost any Serge Lutens will grace me with 8 hours of fragrant company.

Clemmie, I checked your 'drobe and saw you own Narciso Rodriguez and gave it only 2 stars on longevity - the wonders of chemistry! This one lasts from morning to eve on me
    Last edited by Lady_in_Black; 2nd May 2007 at 07:57 PM. Reason: typo
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_in_Black View Post
    I second Tom Ford's Black Orchid, incredible staying power and there's patchouli in it also. But other TF-inspired fragrances have great longevity on my skin, like Youth Dew Amber Nude and Nu EdP. And I would like to add almost any Serge Lutens will grace me with 8 hours of fragrant company.

Clemmie, I checked your 'drobe and saw you own Narciso Rodriguez and gave it only 2 starts on longevity - the wonders of chemistry! This one lasts from morning to eve on me
    I need to check, but I think that 2 star rating is for the EDT (it totally disappears). The EDP lasts pretty well - and always gets compliments. I've probably just made a mistake with it (all my ratings need to be properly updated, I think I must have been drunk when I did them!).
    Bill Cosby

I have bookmarked a couple of treads:

http://community.basenotes.net/showt...=baiser+dragon

http://community.basenotes.net/showt...llage+monsters

Like you I find many frags to be lacking sillage and/or longevity.

Fragrances that last and have sillage for me are:

Champs Elysées edt.
    Samsara edp.
    Michael from Michael Kors
    TBS Japanese Musc
    Ambre Sultan
    Un Lys
    Fleurs d'oranger
    Jessica McClintock
    Gucci Edp
    Fracas
    Angelique Encens
    L'heure bleue edp.
    Cabochard edt.

Hypnotic Poison; Femme Rochas and Musc Ravageur doesn't last long on me unfortunately.

[quote=Clemmie;1020557]...again, maybe it's just my nose?

Is there someone that could do a sniff test for you? It could be that Ysatis is SO strong in the begining that you can't pick up the notes in the drydown.
    There seems to be doubt that Angel is fleeting for some but I've actually asked people "Can you smell any perfume?" with the answer "No, are you wearing any?" To avoid over-applying you should ask those you're comfortable with if you have any detectable sillage. Mr. Tinker is quite reliable because he doesn't like perfume he can smell the teeniest, tiniest dab.

[QUOTE=tinker424;1020668]
    Quote Originally Posted by Clemmie View Post
    ...again, maybe it's just my nose?

Is there someone that could do a sniff test for you? It could be that Ysatis is SO strong in the begining that you can't pick up the notes in the drydown.
    There seems to be doubt that Angel is fleeting for some but I've actually asked people "Can you smell any perfume?" with the answer "No, are you wearing any?" To avoid over-applying you should ask those you're comfortable with if you have any detectable sillage. Mr. Tinker is quite reliable because he doesn't like perfume he can smell the teeniest, tiniest dab.
    I think that's a great idea. One thing my husband and I were both certain of was that Angel wasn't going away and we both hated it. :-) Always the way with a smell you don't like, isn't it? And maybe that's the key...perhaps it has something to do with being so in tune with a fragrance that you don't notice it's there. I had to re-apply my Tabac Blond today because it had faded completely. My husband and daughter both had a good sniff and said it was totally gone - so that wasn't my nose. Shame really that the ones we love fade away like that.
    Bill Cosby

Talking Re: Long-lasting fragrances

I think everyone is different and their chemistry is different.On me, Ambre Narguile, Bond Nuits de noho , Vanilla Lust and Opium last and last, You can still smell them the next day. But I bet they are different with various people.

I sprayed the tiniest spritz of Miel de Bois on my pulse points this morning before going to work, and took the sample with me 'just in case'. I left the house at 0730 this morning. I haven't topped it up, and it's now 2220, and I can still smell it. I think this one may take the prize of 'most long lasting smell that I actually like' - at least for now!

I was complimented on it the minute I arrived at work, so it obviously has impact when it's fresh. I like it when people ask what I'm wearing. To me, that's kind of the whole point...
    Bill Cosby

Have you tried Calvin Klein Obsession and Estee Lauder Knowing recently? If 'the end of the world as we know it' ever happens the sillage from these two fragrances will, along with that of Angel, scent the universe for all eternity (no pun intended). I love to catch a whiff of Obsession on other people, it is a fabulous scent. Knowing is my mother-in-law's signature scent, and suits her very well.
    The longest lasting scents which I wear are Coco Mademoiselle, Dior Addict, Versace Crystal Noir and Cacharel Noa. The latter is softer than the others but lasts forever.

Try Sicily by D&G for an ultimatively long lasting floral-oriental with a sandalwoody base. Go for it if you can take its honey-dropping seductive sexiness...

And ... beware... ;-)
    "They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night."
    Edgar Allan Poe

http://perfumum.blogspot.com/

Off the top of my head, a few scents spring to mind as being the ones which literally last on me from shower-to-shower:

Hypnotic Poison
    Aromatics Elixir
    Boudoir
    D&G Classique
    Nude
    Habanita
    Wrappings
    Just about any Estee Lauder fragrance

I've been wearing Chanel's Cuir de Russie EDT for the last 15 hours and it is still noticeable to me. Quite a beautiful surprise. Also Parfum Sacre hangs around for some time. I wouldn't say these fragrances have great sillage but then that's how I like it sometimes. It's a bit like wearing sexy underwear which of course only you know.

Quote Originally Posted by lillie View Post
    Try Sicily by D&G for an ultimatively long lasting floral-oriental with a sandalwoody base. Go for it if you can take its honey-dropping seductive sexiness...

And ... beware... ;-)
    That sounds like just my kind of thing. Will definitely try to sample that at the first opportunity. Thanks!
    In the Harrods perfume department today (the general one), I tried Bond No. 9 Chinatown, and D&G Sicily. I liked them both, but after trying Shocking in the Haute Perfumerie, I had to go with that one. And for longevity, as it turned out, Shocking beat them both. I would probably buy Sicily rather than Chinatown next time I have the opportunity. I found that a more 'rounded' perfume, if that makes any sense at all? Over time, it just kept getting better, whereas Chinatown went very powdery on me after about 15 minutes. It did last well though.

I also got a chance to sample Jo Malone's Red Roses. I really like that one. The SA told me the bath oil is divine, and I decided I'd rather have that as a bath product than a perfume. Didn't buy it though. That's something I can get any time. I was at Harrods to find the hard-to-get stuff. Sadly, I didn't have a lot of time, and Shocking just grabbed me by the nose and owned me, and I know I'm going to have a long love affair with this one. Thanks everyone for your recommendations, I've got more on my 'want' list now than ever!
    I tried Paloma Picasso on the back of my hand today (they're selling it at rock bottom price in my local Superdrug), and it's pretty good now that I've tried it on its own. Except...is it just my weird nose, or do I smell celery in it? You know when celery gets a bit old, and it develops a stronger smell? That kind of 'bite' that you get at the back of the lighter celery smell, I swear I'm picking that up in PP. Not that this is a bad thing, I happen to like celery. I'm not sure I'd buy this. I'll see how it goes over the next few hours.
    Last edited by Clemmie; 16th May 2007 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Bill Cosby

Anais Anais, Amarige, L'Instant, Armani Mania are some I can think of right off the bat.

My secret to making my perfume last longer is exfoliation. I soak in the tub for a long time and srcub and scrub that dead skin away. I do this once a week. Yes, I shower daily, but I notice that when I get closer to needing my bath, that my perfume tends to fade and sometimes doesn't smell that good. The difference is amazing.

My longest lasting frags are.....

Angel
    Pleasures
    Fleurissimo
    Clive Christian X
    Magical Moon
    Alien
    Lolita Lempicka
    Crystal Noir
    Aimez moi

i find that dior addict hangs around for awhile... that one was probably my biggest turn around frag... used to think it smelled like aeroguard but now i love it
    miss dior is another that lasts... and the new estee lauder one... beautiful love i think? i sprayed it and two hours later some guy asks "what smells like honeysuckle?" lasted for ages too... wasnt really that impressed but i think its growing on me

Hey Clemmie, same here - Tabac Blond doesn't last too well on me either (but Miel de Bois really is tenacious!) But I loved TB enough to get it anyway.
    I'm hoping my SO buys me the Narcisse Noir parfum for my birthday as the EDT lasts literally 15 minutes.

Obsession is always an overnighter on me.

I don't like gourmand either, but one I find scrumptious will last a month on your clothes - the spicy, christmasy, delectable Dinner by Bobo. I wore it last Christmas and I could still smell it on the jacket I sent to the cleaners a month later.
    I made the mistake of wearing it at the Boeing Space Museum in summer and people were moving away, so be careful with this showboating, gingerbread diva.

These have lasted more than 24 hours for me:
    L'Heure Bleue EdP
    Lolita Lempicka EdP
    Mitsouko EdP
    Kenzo L'Elephant
    Alien

A good test of longevity for me is if I apply at night and can still smell the fragrance in the morning. I like florals so many of my favorites fail that test. Some that pass with flying colors:

Gres Cabotine
    Armani Mania
    Lauren Style
    Guerlain L'Instant
    Givenchy Amarige

I took a number of decants with me on holiday. Hot weather really tests a perfume, and the ones that really lasted well were Shocking, Le Baiser du Dragon and Miel de Bois. The overall winner was Miel de Bois, so I will probably be shelling out for a full bottle of this now (I only had a sample), because sometimes you just don't want to be loading up again, you want to be able to trust that your perfume will just keep on going. Miel is lovely anyway (after it dries down! I'm not keen on the top notes at all), so it's worth the investment.
    Bill Cosby

....and I forgot to say, "Almost anything by Lauder/Clinique!!"
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Long-lasting on me:

-Dune by Dior
    -Dior Addict
    -Mitsouko
    -Shalimar
    -any kind of Angel
    -Prada
    -Gucci Rush
    -Chanel Allure
    -Stella
    And he whose soul is flat -- the sky
    Will cave in on him by and by.

—from "Renascence" by Edna St. Vincent Millay

I have to agree with the 'ach ach ach' reaction to Angel. On me it turned into a strange schizoid thing that I found absolutely vile. And even when I ran to the loo in the shopping centre to wash it off the blasted stuff lingered! I agree that it's one of those odd quirks of life that the perfumes that linger are often the ones that we really don't like.

Anyway, nice smells that I find linger on my particular skin are mostly the orientals: Opium, Shalimar, Vol de Nuit, but especially Opium.
    It's been a while since I wore it (my decant smashed *sob* - but on the bright side the hotel bathroom smellt amazing) but Bandit I remember as being a good laster.
    And I've had good endurance from L'Occitane's Ambre and their Neroli recently.

Bandit, definitely. Lasted all day on Monday...
    I would like Angel to last on me but it doesn't. Longevity is OK but it won't get me through the working day.

Most the classic Guerlains last a very longtime. Samsara (even in edt!) and Chamade must be the toppers on the lasting scale.
    All Estée Lauders are extremely longlasting aswell, just remember Estée in super-perfume concentration... up to 24 hours!
    Most 1980s american perfumes were made to last and last: Bijan, Giorgio, ET's Passion, Red Door are good examples.

As for drugstore cheap thrills, you can't beat Charlie androgenous green-mossy accord and if you still can find, Jontue with its marvelous oriental orange flower notes.

I find that fragrances with a combination of sandalwood and vanilla basenotes and also chypre accords are almost always longlasting.

Quote Originally Posted by cedriceccentric View Post
    Most the classic Guerlains last a very longtime. Samsara (even in edt!) and Chamade must be the toppers on the lasting scale.
    All Estée Lauders are extremely longlasting aswell, just remember Estée in super-perfume concentration... up to 24 hours!
    Most 1980s american perfumes were made to last and last: Bijan, Giorgio, ET's Passion, Red Door are good examples.

As for drugstore cheap thrills, you can't beat Charlie androgenous green-mossy accord and if you still can find, Jontue with its marvelous oriental orange flower notes.

I find that fragrances with a combination of sandalwood and vanilla basenotes and also chypre accords are almost always longlasting.
    There used to be a Yardley chemist shop cheap thrill one called Chique that lasted amazingly well. I can only get that as a cologne now, and although it's good to have the memory-lane thing, it's annoying that it doesn't last as well as the perfume used to. God, I used to love that fragrance. Very sharp, citrusy, and unique.

I always hated Charlie. Never could get on with it.
    Bill Cosby

M7, Envy and believe it or not, on my skin, which is incredibly dry, Green Irish Tweed by Creed (I kown its just crazy I cant believe it myself)

Quote Originally Posted by cedriceccentric View Post
    ....I find that fragrances with a combination of sandalwood and vanilla basenotes and also chypre accords are almost always longlasting.
    ...for me it's the basenotes of amber and musk that hang in there! Ain't diversity grand!!

And oddly enough several of the Bonds last well on me - Chinatown, Riverside Drive and New Haarlem, specifically.

I was quite surprised how long Coney Island lasted on me. The woods and musk in it don't exactly shout, but certainly stick around long after the rest of the carnival has left town.

I tried Coney Island and even after I washed my hands a couple of times I still smelled it on my hand the next morning. I love the smell. Still haven't purchased it though.
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

I don't know if you'd like it, but Montblanc Individuelle Femme is one of the longest lasting scents I've ever tried!

Dior Addict
    Angel
    Agent Provocateur

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Versace Dreamer (over sprayed the first time I ever wore it late one night and had to shower twice to get it to the point it wasn't overwhelming!)

Guerlain Vetiver (both original and reformulated versions) much longer lasting in hot weather though

Geir Ness Geir (seems to last 12-14 hours on me)

Havana for Men (lasts and lasts and lasts...)

Montana Parfum d'Homme (both original and -apparently- the recently reformulated versions. Still smell it after a full day of wearing)
    Last edited by kbe; 10th August 2007 at 08:36 PM.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell