Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Long-lasting fragrances

[quote=Clemmie;1020557]...again, maybe it's just my nose?

Is there someone that could do a sniff test for you? It could be that Ysatis is SO strong in the begining that you can't pick up the notes in the drydown.
    There seems to be doubt that Angel is fleeting for some but I've actually asked people "Can you smell any perfume?" with the answer "No, are you wearing any?" To avoid over-applying you should ask those you're comfortable with if you have any detectable sillage. Mr. Tinker is quite reliable because he doesn't like perfume he can smell the teeniest, tiniest dab.

[QUOTE=tinker424;1020668]
    Quote Originally Posted by Clemmie View Post
    ...again, maybe it's just my nose?

Is there someone that could do a sniff test for you? It could be that Ysatis is SO strong in the begining that you can't pick up the notes in the drydown.
    There seems to be doubt that Angel is fleeting for some but I've actually asked people "Can you smell any perfume?" with the answer "No, are you wearing any?" To avoid over-applying you should ask those you're comfortable with if you have any detectable sillage. Mr. Tinker is quite reliable because he doesn't like perfume he can smell the teeniest, tiniest dab.
    I think that's a great idea. One thing my husband and I were both certain of was that Angel wasn't going away and we both hated it. :-) Always the way with a smell you don't like, isn't it? And maybe that's the key...perhaps it has something to do with being so in tune with a fragrance that you don't notice it's there. I had to re-apply my Tabac Blond today because it had faded completely. My husband and daughter both had a good sniff and said it was totally gone - so that wasn't my nose. Shame really that the ones we love fade away like that.
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Talking Re: Long-lasting fragrances

I think everyone is different and their chemistry is different.On me, Ambre Narguile, Bond Nuits de noho , Vanilla Lust and Opium last and last, You can still smell them the next day. But I bet they are different with various people.

I sprayed the tiniest spritz of Miel de Bois on my pulse points this morning before going to work, and took the sample with me 'just in case'. I left the house at 0730 this morning. I haven't topped it up, and it's now 2220, and I can still smell it. I think this one may take the prize of 'most long lasting smell that I actually like' - at least for now!

I was complimented on it the minute I arrived at work, so it obviously has impact when it's fresh. I like it when people ask what I'm wearing. To me, that's kind of the whole point...
    Bill Cosby

Have you tried Calvin Klein Obsession and Estee Lauder Knowing recently? If 'the end of the world as we know it' ever happens the sillage from these two fragrances will, along with that of Angel, scent the universe for all eternity (no pun intended). I love to catch a whiff of Obsession on other people, it is a fabulous scent. Knowing is my mother-in-law's signature scent, and suits her very well.
    The longest lasting scents which I wear are Coco Mademoiselle, Dior Addict, Versace Crystal Noir and Cacharel Noa. The latter is softer than the others but lasts forever.

Try Sicily by D&G for an ultimatively long lasting floral-oriental with a sandalwoody base. Go for it if you can take its honey-dropping seductive sexiness...

And ... beware... ;-)
    "They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night."
    Edgar Allan Poe

http://perfumum.blogspot.com/

Off the top of my head, a few scents spring to mind as being the ones which literally last on me from shower-to-shower:

Hypnotic Poison
    Aromatics Elixir
    Boudoir
    D&G Classique
    Nude
    Habanita
    Wrappings
    Just about any Estee Lauder fragrance

I've been wearing Chanel's Cuir de Russie EDT for the last 15 hours and it is still noticeable to me. Quite a beautiful surprise. Also Parfum Sacre hangs around for some time. I wouldn't say these fragrances have great sillage but then that's how I like it sometimes. It's a bit like wearing sexy underwear which of course only you know.

Quote Originally Posted by lillie View Post
    Try Sicily by D&G for an ultimatively long lasting floral-oriental with a sandalwoody base. Go for it if you can take its honey-dropping seductive sexiness...

And ... beware... ;-)
    That sounds like just my kind of thing. Will definitely try to sample that at the first opportunity. Thanks!
    --------------------------------------
    In the Harrods perfume department today (the general one), I tried Bond No. 9 Chinatown, and D&G Sicily. I liked them both, but after trying Shocking in the Haute Perfumerie, I had to go with that one. And for longevity, as it turned out, Shocking beat them both. I would probably buy Sicily rather than Chinatown next time I have the opportunity. I found that a more 'rounded' perfume, if that makes any sense at all? Over time, it just kept getting better, whereas Chinatown went very powdery on me after about 15 minutes. It did last well though.

I also got a chance to sample Jo Malone's Red Roses. I really like that one. The SA told me the bath oil is divine, and I decided I'd rather have that as a bath product than a perfume. Didn't buy it though. That's something I can get any time. I was at Harrods to find the hard-to-get stuff. Sadly, I didn't have a lot of time, and Shocking just grabbed me by the nose and owned me, and I know I'm going to have a long love affair with this one. Thanks everyone for your recommendations, I've got more on my 'want' list now than ever!
    --------------------------------------
    I tried Paloma Picasso on the back of my hand today (they're selling it at rock bottom price in my local Superdrug), and it's pretty good now that I've tried it on its own. Except...is it just my weird nose, or do I smell celery in it? You know when celery gets a bit old, and it develops a stronger smell? That kind of 'bite' that you get at the back of the lighter celery smell, I swear I'm picking that up in PP. Not that this is a bad thing, I happen to like celery. I'm not sure I'd buy this. I'll see how it goes over the next few hours.
    Last edited by Clemmie; 16th May 2007 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Bill Cosby

Anais Anais, Amarige, L'Instant, Armani Mania are some I can think of right off the bat.

Blog Entries

My secret to making my perfume last longer is exfoliation. I soak in the tub for a long time and srcub and scrub that dead skin away. I do this once a week. Yes, I shower daily, but I notice that when I get closer to needing my bath, that my perfume tends to fade and sometimes doesn't smell that good. The difference is amazing.

My longest lasting frags are.....

Angel
    Pleasures
    Fleurissimo
    Clive Christian X
    Magical Moon
    Alien
    Lolita Lempicka
    Crystal Noir
    Aimez moi

i find that dior addict hangs around for awhile... that one was probably my biggest turn around frag... used to think it smelled like aeroguard but now i love it
    miss dior is another that lasts... and the new estee lauder one... beautiful love i think? i sprayed it and two hours later some guy asks "what smells like honeysuckle?" lasted for ages too... wasnt really that impressed but i think its growing on me

Hey Clemmie, same here - Tabac Blond doesn't last too well on me either (but Miel de Bois really is tenacious!) But I loved TB enough to get it anyway.
    I'm hoping my SO buys me the Narcisse Noir parfum for my birthday as the EDT lasts literally 15 minutes.

Obsession is always an overnighter on me.

I don't like gourmand either, but one I find scrumptious will last a month on your clothes - the spicy, christmasy, delectable Dinner by Bobo. I wore it last Christmas and I could still smell it on the jacket I sent to the cleaners a month later.
    I made the mistake of wearing it at the Boeing Space Museum in summer and people were moving away, so be careful with this showboating, gingerbread diva.

These have lasted more than 24 hours for me:
    L'Heure Bleue EdP
    Lolita Lempicka EdP
    Mitsouko EdP
    Kenzo L'Elephant
    Alien

A good test of longevity for me is if I apply at night and can still smell the fragrance in the morning. I like florals so many of my favorites fail that test. Some that pass with flying colors:

Gres Cabotine
    Armani Mania
    Lauren Style
    Guerlain L'Instant
    Givenchy Amarige

I took a number of decants with me on holiday. Hot weather really tests a perfume, and the ones that really lasted well were Shocking, Le Baiser du Dragon and Miel de Bois. The overall winner was Miel de Bois, so I will probably be shelling out for a full bottle of this now (I only had a sample), because sometimes you just don't want to be loading up again, you want to be able to trust that your perfume will just keep on going. Miel is lovely anyway (after it dries down! I'm not keen on the top notes at all), so it's worth the investment.
    Bill Cosby

....and I forgot to say, "Almost anything by Lauder/Clinique!!"
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Long-lasting on me:

-Dune by Dior
    -Dior Addict
    -Mitsouko
    -Shalimar
    -any kind of Angel
    -Prada
    -Gucci Rush
    -Chanel Allure
    -Stella
    And he whose soul is flat -- the sky
    Will cave in on him by and by.

—from "Renascence" by Edna St. Vincent Millay
    Currently wearing: FlowerbyKenzo by Kenzo

I have to agree with the 'ach ach ach' reaction to Angel. On me it turned into a strange schizoid thing that I found absolutely vile. And even when I ran to the loo in the shopping centre to wash it off the blasted stuff lingered! I agree that it's one of those odd quirks of life that the perfumes that linger are often the ones that we really don't like.

Anyway, nice smells that I find linger on my particular skin are mostly the orientals: Opium, Shalimar, Vol de Nuit, but especially Opium.
    It's been a while since I wore it (my decant smashed *sob* - but on the bright side the hotel bathroom smellt amazing) but Bandit I remember as being a good laster.
    And I've had good endurance from L'Occitane's Ambre and their Neroli recently.

Bandit, definitely. Lasted all day on Monday...
    I would like Angel to last on me but it doesn't. Longevity is OK but it won't get me through the working day.

Most the classic Guerlains last a very longtime. Samsara (even in edt!) and Chamade must be the toppers on the lasting scale.
    All Estée Lauders are extremely longlasting aswell, just remember Estée in super-perfume concentration... up to 24 hours!
    Most 1980s american perfumes were made to last and last: Bijan, Giorgio, ET's Passion, Red Door are good examples.

As for drugstore cheap thrills, you can't beat Charlie androgenous green-mossy accord and if you still can find, Jontue with its marvelous oriental orange flower notes.

I find that fragrances with a combination of sandalwood and vanilla basenotes and also chypre accords are almost always longlasting.

Quote Originally Posted by cedriceccentric View Post
    Most the classic Guerlains last a very longtime. Samsara (even in edt!) and Chamade must be the toppers on the lasting scale.
    All Estée Lauders are extremely longlasting aswell, just remember Estée in super-perfume concentration... up to 24 hours!
    Most 1980s american perfumes were made to last and last: Bijan, Giorgio, ET's Passion, Red Door are good examples.

As for drugstore cheap thrills, you can't beat Charlie androgenous green-mossy accord and if you still can find, Jontue with its marvelous oriental orange flower notes.

I find that fragrances with a combination of sandalwood and vanilla basenotes and also chypre accords are almost always longlasting.
    There used to be a Yardley chemist shop cheap thrill one called Chique that lasted amazingly well. I can only get that as a cologne now, and although it's good to have the memory-lane thing, it's annoying that it doesn't last as well as the perfume used to. God, I used to love that fragrance. Very sharp, citrusy, and unique.

I always hated Charlie. Never could get on with it.
    Bill Cosby

M7, Envy and believe it or not, on my skin, which is incredibly dry, Green Irish Tweed by Creed (I kown its just crazy I cant believe it myself)

Quote Originally Posted by cedriceccentric View Post
    ....I find that fragrances with a combination of sandalwood and vanilla basenotes and also chypre accords are almost always longlasting.
    ...for me it's the basenotes of amber and musk that hang in there! Ain't diversity grand!!

And oddly enough several of the Bonds last well on me - Chinatown, Riverside Drive and New Haarlem, specifically.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

I was quite surprised how long Coney Island lasted on me. The woods and musk in it don't exactly shout, but certainly stick around long after the rest of the carnival has left town.

Blog Entries

I tried Coney Island and even after I washed my hands a couple of times I still smelled it on my hand the next morning. I love the smell. Still haven't purchased it though.
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

I don't know if you'd like it, but Montblanc Individuelle Femme is one of the longest lasting scents I've ever tried!

Blog Entries

Dior Addict
    Angel
    Agent Provocateur

Cow Tipper Extraordinaire

Blog Entries

Versace Dreamer (over sprayed the first time I ever wore it late one night and had to shower twice to get it to the point it wasn't overwhelming!)

Guerlain Vetiver (both original and reformulated versions) much longer lasting in hot weather though

Geir Ness Geir (seems to last 12-14 hours on me)

Havana for Men (lasts and lasts and lasts...)

Montana Parfum d'Homme (both original and -apparently- the recently reformulated versions. Still smell it after a full day of wearing)
    Last edited by kbe; 10th August 2007 at 08:36 PM.
    These things cannot be long hidden: the Sun, the Moon, the Truth--Buddha
    Currently wearing: Cumming by Alan Cumming