Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Neil Morris Fragrances

Okay, folks -- After being a lurker regarding Neil Morris Fragrances (I've known of him as a Boston-area custom perfumer for years, but couldn't find his stuff commercially nor justify a custom-frag for myself.... Yet...) I recently discovered that he's got a retail line started. So, I'm posting a separate thread for his stuff. Personally, I am hooked!

Anyone else: www.neilmorrisfragrances.com Sample program is part of the deal. hurrah!

Below (over the next several days), I'll review each of the scents from his retail line, including the two 'new ones' they're apparently releasing later this spring (one of which is a definite full-bottle for me!). Please, anyone else who's tested Neil Morris' stuff, weigh in here, and let us all know your thoughts!

Starting with yesterday's SoTD, "Quest," which I've described as one of my newly acquired "comfort scents."

According to the NMF web site:" Quest is a deep blend that begins with Top Notes of Calabrian Bergamot and fresh Ozone Notes followed by Heart Notes that include Cut Grass and Heliotrope, leading to warm Base Notes of Myrrh, Patchouli and Precious Woods." WOW!!! I love this one. Warm, easy to wear and delicious, IMO. NEED a bottle of this stuff.

I get lots of frankincense and sandalwood, with subtle grass and lovely woody notes. One very astute BNer described NMF as having a bit of a "sweet tooth," which I agree with (fine with me!), though not entirely, since "Aegean" (which I wore today) is almost completely green and sand notes, though there's still a bit of sweetness. Okay, I'm getting ahead of myself.

Who else wants to weigh in? Maybe we can get Neil Morris to chat with Grant and do a bigger sample-fest for all of us!!
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

Default Re: Neil Morris Fragrances

Thank you for the link! Mr. Tinker's credit card just jumped out of his wallet & made a mad dash under the fridge.

Thank goodness my eye caught the name Neil Morris over here or I would have continued serenely posting my NM reviews on Female SotD.threads!!

I will now heroically transfer them to here. (Back of hand to forehead) :bounce:

Manymany thanks to Comdiva - not only for introducing me to this line but for starting the thread! Maybe we can get him listed in the directory, too - like Purplebird did with Mandini oils???!!!

Thursday, May3
    : Today, it's another notable Neil Morris - Clear. Linden lovers take note - this may be for you!!

"Clear is a sparkling, and “Clear” Scent with Top Notes of Pink Grapefruit and Linden Blossom, bracing Heart Notes of Balsam and Mint, and a warm dry down of Cedar and Clean Musk."

So far, on me, it's pure linden. Not a hint of the grapefruit nor the cedar. But these Morris' have a strange way of developing on me - they'll suddenly turn a corner after a couple of hours and transform into something completely different. Will let you know.

Meanwhile - it's all seashore to me - slight reminiscence of suntan lotion and damp beach towels and linden-scented ocean breezes. Go figure!!
    Last edited by TaoLady; 3rd May 2007 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Added review
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Two days of NMF to update here:

First, Aegean. Described on the Neil Morris web site as a "sun-drenched Mediterranean fragrance" based on Morris' fantasy of traveling to Greece, the notes listed are: Top notes of mandarin and basil blossom; middle notes: lavender and luscious quince; and base notes that include: sandalwood, benzoin and pearl musk. This is another one I think I need to own -- simultaneously light and intense, with breezy herbal/woody and marine notes on me.

Aegean starts with a light citrus note on me, though I initially thought it was lime rather than mandarin, must've been the "green" of the basil kicking in (clearly the blossoms, not only the leaves - cool!), then I get cinnamon/peppery note from the lavender and sandalwood --the combination somehow smells like clean, wet sand, and driftwood!

Yesterday I gave a full wearing to Clear. Initially I couldn't understand why anyone would want to wear a scent that didn't smell like anything. But yesterday was warmer than it's been all spring, and while Clear is very subtle (and hence probably not something I would wear frequently ), it's definitely there, and refreshing, too. Top notes: pink grapefruit and linden blossom; heart notes of balsam and mint; base notes of cedar and clean musk.

On me, I don't get linden (and don't know exactly what linden smells like) Clear was mostly mint, ozone, and a tiny touch of citrus on a very light sandy base. I'm hoping to wear it again on an even warmer day and see how that goes.
    --------------------------------------
    For today's Fruity Sniff & Speak I wore Neil Morris Fragrances Coral, which was sent with my sample pack of all six currently available NMF scents (the folks at NMF say Coral will be released on the web site later this spring). No description currently available, but for me it is a tropical fruit bonanza, and while I don't like tropical fruit, this is still a nicely constructed scent, IMO.

I am flying blind here, but here's what I smelled: an orange/other citrus opening, that almost immediately was accompanied and then overtaken by something that might or might not be passionfruit, then mango/papaya, and coconut! Like suntan oil coconut. I also get some vanilla, palm fronds, possibly sandalwood, and at one point, I swear I smelled lime jello (fleeting).

To me, Coral is sheer tropics, with lots of palm trees, tropical fruits and suntan oil. Summer vacation (for some) in a bottle!

As expected from the description, Afire is an extremely sweet, elegant gourmand. I found the orange at the opening a little overpowering, but can see how it's needed to balance the caramel/ berries and vanilla to keep them from becoming cloying. As it dries down, the blend is delicious (as with some other intense gourmands, wearing this makes me feel a bit like a dessert - would probably only wear this for a specific occasion, like Valentine's day). No surprise, I prefer Afire once the "foody" sweetness tones down just a bit and the frankincense note comes up.

Wonderful, but not a "must own" for me.

Today was my beloved Storm, which I reviewed for the floral Sniff & Speak last month. Storm really blew me away.

At first I got what I can only describe as watery notes. Then... there are flowers! Everywhere. It's late May or early June, and my skin has transformed into the middle of somebody's flower garden immediately after it's rained, and you can tell that those flowers are wet.

I would describe it as 'antique flower garden' flowers -- hyacinth and delphinium, maybe some mimosa. Also, a particularly delicious cinnamony patchouli that ends up bringing in a very subtle wet soil base with the occasional civet note. Definitely full-bottle worthy. David (the NMF principal, whom I have been hounding and who is being very gracious about my increasingly demanding questions, even if I *am* getting samples) says "Storm" will be released sometime later this spring. Wonder if we all beg _en masse_ if we can get them to release it sooner rather than later!

Tomorrow is the last of my sample batch, "Midnight Flower," by which time I hope some others will have tried the scents (or start to) and let me (and others) know their thoughts. Feeling a bit lonely out here!
    Last edited by ComDiva; 9th May 2007 at 02:47 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

Cath, I discovered this thread by chance! I received my Neil Morris samples eventually and am wearing Coral today. Neil was so nice and sent a description of it also. I hope he does not mind if I write down a citation here: "Top notes of bergamot and pomegranate leading to heart notes of fig and sweet pea lightly touched with Bulgarian rose. The Dry Down involves sandalwood and an incense note (to conjure images of driftwood) and a fresh oceanic musk!"
    A couple of hours into it, the fruit notes still hold, but are less sweet than in the opening and the incense kicked in - almost peppery on my skin - and everything is backed by a saltiness that reminds of sea shores, indeed!

My suggestion is you start a new thread on the main gals - or guys -fragrance discussion page in a short time. Riannon will also be joining in as soon as she rids herself of that nasty rash
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_in_Black View Post
    My suggestion is you start a new thread on the main gals - or guys -fragrance discussion page in a short time. Riannon will also be joining in as soon as she rids herself of that nasty rash
    Oh baby, you can bet I will join!! Those samples are shouting, crying........
    It is so difficult to wait.
    In the meantime I am enjoying these reviews. So, please, when you start a new thread, transfer these reviews to the new thread?
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

I'm lurking here, sweetie, and reading your thoughts.
    Very interesting.
    So far, I've tried 2, and need to sample more thoroughly.

The gentlemen are so lovely, it makes you want to adore their scents...
    I find that he loves aquatic and fruit, which are usually not on my favorites list [but I'm in the minority, I'm certain !]
    More sniffing...

.... am wearing Coral today. Neil was so nice and sent a description of it also. I hope he does not mind if I write down a citation here: "Top notes of bergamot and pomegranate leading to heart notes of fig and sweet pea lightly touched with Bulgarian rose. The Dry Down involves sandalwood and an incense note (to conjure images of driftwood) and a fresh oceanic musk!"
    Many thanks for passing along these notes. Coral is one of my favorite NM's - knew there was bergamot in it (bergamot loves me a lot!) and so glad to see the thread got moved over here.

(Am wondering if we will do for Neil what we did for Serena - she had to close down for a few days to deal with BN orders!!!)
    Last edited by TaoLady; 13th May 2007 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Afterthoughts
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Basenotes Institution

So ComDiva and Taolady, when are we planning Neil Morris Week at Basenotes?

As promised, I am taking a break from my leather craziness, and am testing Clear today.

My nose was fooled into smelling a crisp, just-picked-from-the-tree red apple in the opening, so fresh I almost felt the juice run down my chin.
    Then, grapefruit and crushed mint leaves. Neil's fragrance strangely translated into a strong image: a couple of minutes into it, I imagined myself burying my face into my DH's neck and inhaling the cleanliness of skin and a freshly washed and ironed shirt.
    Clear is summery and fresh and happy as can be, conjuring up sunshine, laughter and green lanes.
    Will report later about further development and longevity! :wave:
    --------------------
    Staying power was not bad at all, at 5-6 hours. All in all, a beautifully fresh scent for hot days!
    Last edited by Lady_in_Black; 20th May 2007 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Update

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    So ComDiva and Taolady, when are we planning Neil Morris Week at Basenotes?
    Kinda looks like it already started!!

Um - you wanna check out his site and see if you want to join in?? Love your reviews (you really livened up Ava Luxe experience) - maybe the guys on the men's side would be interested too??

You're in charge!

I wanted to let everyone know what happened when I ordered my samples. The shopping cart said the shipping (overseas, to Australia) would be $30 (yikes!) and the samples $15, but since I had been celebrating getting my permanent residency with cherry vodka all evening, I apparently didn't see that, so I placed the order.
    This morning I awoke to a mild hangover and an email from someone at Neil Morris' company saying their shopping cart was having conniption fits, the shipping for overseas was all wrong and they would correct it. So don't be afraid to order because of the amount of shipping if you are overseas. (Oh, alright, THEY didn't say conniption fit, cause their mum isn't from Arkansas, probably, but the same general thing,)
    Just to let you all know.

Quote Originally Posted by lannansidhe View Post
    So don't be afraid to order because of the amount of shipping if you are overseas. (Oh, alright, THEY didn't say conniption fit, cause their mum isn't from Arkansas, probably, but the same general thing,)
    Just to let you all know.
    Lannansidhe, the exact same thing happened to me also but I got the correction and very reasonable shipping charges in the end.

Today I tested the new Storm, which is not yet released, but David and Neil kindly added it and the equally new Coral to my sample pack.
    Initially I got a similar note to the opening in their Quest and reached the conclusion that this must be Neil's ozone accord. Unlike ComDiva, I didn't get the whole flower experience. Yes, I was smelling a Victorian flower garden - minus the antique roses - but it was like being banned outside its stone walls . The initial ozonic/aquatic note pervaded the scent to the end, and I can't say it is a favourite note of mine. On to another one!

Got my samples today.
    I tried a couple and they seemed sort of strange at first, but that could be because my allergies are playing up. I am going to take some Sudafed and then I might actually try to write a genuine review, which I have never done before.
    Be back later.

Basenotes Plus

Neil is a sweetheart!

My sister bought Afire & loves it. I have After the Rain, a clean, fresh but lasting beaute of a fragrance.

Ask Neil about his India series.......OMG!!!
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Quote Originally Posted by RHM View Post
    Neil is a sweetheart!

My sister bought Afire & loves it. I have After the Rain, a clean, fresh but lasting beaute of a fragrance.

Ask Neil about his India series.......OMG!!!
    Well, hello, Mamasan !
    He is an angel, and you are right about the India.
    Also, he's working on a lovely new one as well.

Do they ship abroad? (Not that I need any more fragrance samples but, well, ya know...

I am in Australia and they shipped to me, np. Got here in less than 10 days, too.

Hi All!

I just wanted to take a moment to thank each and every one of you for taking the time to review our perfumes. We're overwhelmed by your kind words and look forward to a great relationship with the Basenotes community!

Fragrant Dreams!

Neil

Welcome to BN, Mr. Big Man!

I read this thread just today--Storm, After the Rain, Midnight Flower--how irresistable! I'll be followeing all the reviews for sure, and my samples are ordered.
    Last edited by Shycat; 2nd June 2007 at 06:04 PM.
    Please, spritz responsibly.

Enjoy, Shycat !
    Besides talent, Mr. M. is definitely soulful + eyecandy.

Yes, smooches to you, you lovely Whiffman, you...

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Someone slap me for taking so long to post here. ComDiva has been so thoughtful in a multitude of ways, and how do I repay her? By dragging my heels for a month.

I liked Aegean the best amongst the three samples I ordered (I didn't order a wider breadth of frags because my affection for notes has such a limited range) for its clean and uplifting citrus and lavender, which, in tandem with the basil, I suppose, gave me a piney impression. It didn't quite trip my trigger though, and neither did Midnight Flower or Storm. I found someone at MUA who was very excited to swap for them, so I hope all good things work out for everyone. In general, I think I can say Neil has a sweet tooth. If he should conjure a fragrance incorporating strawberry leaves or lemon blossoms and cream, I'd sample again.

As a graphic designer, I love NM's visual online personality -- the spritzy-looking polka-dots, the clean photos and layout, and Mr. M has a certain charismatic twinkle in his photo, does he not?
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

My samples just arrived! Going to have fun testing these. They came quickly, too!

Quote Originally Posted by chayaruchama View Post
    Enjoy, Shycat !
    Besides talent, Mr. M. is definitely soulful + eyecandy.

Yes, smooches to you, you lovely Whiffman, you...
    Soulful and eyecandy And making perfumes like this? Since I spent Wednesday in a Neil Morris Frenzy of Sampling (and enjoying every minute of it), this is a most dangerous thing to say

Shall we share him. Chaya?

BTW, I hauled BrothaG in as well. I expect him to chime in next week.
    BN is all about sharing :bounce:

:: oh dear, I feel so much Afire in the Storm::
    Last edited by Riannon; 8th June 2007 at 06:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Riannon View Post
    Yes, yes, yes!! They've hit my mailbox and I'll start test-running straight away Thanks once again, my dear Murdock
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

Quote Originally Posted by Riannon View Post
    Soulful and eyecandy And making perfumes like this? Since I spent Wednesday in a Neil Morris Frenzy of Sampling (and enjoying every minute of it), this is a most dangerous thing to say

Shall we share him. Chaya?

BN is all about sharing :bounce:

:: oh dear, I feel so much Afire in the Storm::
    Absolutely [all puns intended] !
    He is a real beauty, deep-dish apple pie dimples notwithstanding...
    Plenty to go around, BrothaG.

My personal favorite is a retro module that he's been working on, very sultry.
    Right up my alley [oops !], so to speak.
    Me loves skanky class in my frags....

Liefs, kindjes !

My nose was fooled into smelling a crisp, just-picked-from-the-tree red apple in the opening, so fresh I almost felt the juice run down my chin.
    I've just tried this for the first time and I get the same thing! Actually, it reminds me of the green apple soap I used to buy from the Body Shop when I was in my teens. Maybe that's what Linden smells like?

Got Aegean on the other wrist - getting a lot of citrus with a touch of something marine. Both fragrances seem good quality so far. *thumbs up*

I tested a bit of Storm last night--very nice! I was all moving about and didn't give it much attention except when I'd catch a wiff of something good, and then I'd sniff my arm and think, no...it's not Storm...but after a while I realized it was Storm because it followed me everywhere. It was interesting, in that too close up it seemed I lost it, but would then catch it ten minutes later. A floral, cinnamon, patchouli, musk. Too close to my arm the cinnamon ? hides the florals perhaps.
    Please, spritz responsibly.

Couple of hours in, Aegean has dried down to a fragrant, slightly musky wood, while Clear is a less appley, more like clean laundry. Nice.

Hi Indiscreet, Shycat, Riannon and dearest Chaya!! Thanks for all the thoughtful words! I am humbled by your appreciation of our perfumes.The apple note you're picking up in CLEAR, Indiscreet, could be the combination of Pink Grapefruit and Linden Blossom on your skin. Linden Blossom is a wonderful, fresh scent. It's also called Tilya or tilia.

Your description of STORM, Shycat, is PERFECT! I love the fact that if you got too close you lost the impact. It's only when you move away that the STORM is upon you!!

Riannon, I'm happy to share the hugs with you and Chaya. Hugs are lacking in this world and I like to think of my fragrances as "HUG-SCENTS!" MMMM... what's that scent you're wearing? Come closer and give me a hug!

And Chaya, I adore you!

Quote Originally Posted by Whiffman View Post
    Riannon, I'm happy to share the hugs with you and Chaya. Hugs are lacking in this world and I like to think of my fragrances as "HUG-SCENTS!" MMMM... what's that scent you're wearing? Come closer and give me a hug!
    That is Storm, my dear Mr. Morris :: oh, this is tempting::

My dears, I am, again, bewildered by the thing called bodychemistry.
    ComDiva and LIB, you both mentioned ozonic and/or aquatic in Storm. If there is one note I shy away from, it is ozonic, aquatic, whatever.

I have tested Storm now four times and....no ozon on me! Absolutely nowhere to be found and believe me, I can smell that one at a distance of ten paces
    The three times I tested before I really got some flowers but at the moment, without a proper sleep for some days, Storm suddenly changed into something I love most: spices, spices and some amber. Yes, maybe deep down hidden there are some flowers as well.
    An almost 'ancient' scent in the very best meaning of the word.

I think this must be an extreme reaction on my own natural scent. And it is beautiful and comforting.
    Hugging scent? Yes, but in another way at this moment than Neil described. Storm is hugging me, restoring peace.
    This could become one of my favourite 'safety blankets'.

So remarkable: Storm I wear and storm was in my mind. And suddenly the storm lifts the ship and brings it to a safe haven.
    Shakespeare's 'Tempest' all over again.

Thank you so much for this gem
    Last edited by Riannon; 10th June 2007 at 10:26 AM.

What an eye-opening experience I've had with Neil Morris' fragrances so far!

I tested Clear, Quest, Afire and Storm yesterday and especially the first two I found rather appealing. Clear opens with a note of 'bath foam' to me, a very clean and refreshing, slightly floral scent. The drydown is, as Indiscreet mentioned, a lot like clean laundry. I think this makes for a great pick-me-up fragrance or whenever you need to 'recover' from spicy, oriental fragrances.

The initial spray of Quest gave me a lot of cinnamon for some reason, a spicy burst that settled down into sensual flowers and a warm, dry base. Definitely something I'd like to wear often.

Afire really had an extraordinary opening to me. It reminded me a lot of this 'fireball' candy I used to have, I can't really explain it. Later on it turns rather sweet, a little too much for my liking, but still a good gourmand fragrance.

I've not had the chance to give Storm a really good try, but my first impression was that it's very multi-faceted, floral but slightly dark, maybe even a little powdery. It must have many faces given Riannon's experience.

And last but not least, I gave Coral a try today. I'm afraid this isn't really my cup of tea. As ComDiva mentioned, it's certainly heavy on the fruit and sweetiness, giving you the whole tropical island experience. Not something I'd want to wear but despite that, you can tell it's a decent composition.

Will try more in the following days .
    Keep up the good work, Neil! It's been a pleasure to meet with your scented offerings.

--------------------------------------
    Big update, I just sprayed on Aegan, citrus galore!! Absolutely wonderful. I was lusting for a little refreshment with the hot weather we're in here and this is just what I needed. Reminds me of the time when I fell for Eau d'Hadrien. Neil may have not been to Greece yet, but he has evoked the cool mediterranean vibe with great accuracy. Definitely subject to a full wearing soon!
    Last edited by BrothaG; 10th June 2007 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I'm trying Storm now and, like Riannon, I don't get any ozone, which is good because, also like Riannon, I don't care for it. What I get instead is a lush floral - it reminds me a little of a scent called Rainflower my best friend used to wear when we were kids (12-13 years or so). I have no idea who made it and it's not in the directory but it had a similar wet flower vibe going on. I'm not actually sure what flowers I'm smelling - my nose isn't that good yet. There's something in the top - hyacinth or narcissus maybe? Maybe iris. *scratches head* And there's definitely something "dirty" underneath.

Quote Originally Posted by Indiscreet View Post
    - it reminds me a little of a scent called Rainflower my best friend used to wear when we were kids (12-13 years or so). I have no idea who made it and it's not in the directory but it had a similar wet flower vibe going on.
    I did a little search on your Rainflower and I am almost certain it was a scent from Boots.
    Fitted perfectly with your age and country

Ah yes, might well have been! I remember it being nice. She graduated to Anais Anais and L'Air de Temps, while I went for Diorissimo and then Mitsouko. I still have the Mitsouko, of course!

Okay, gang, we have an Ava Luxe week going on in October, and the guys are considering a "scent synchronization day" also in October.

I would like to suggest a "Neil Morris Day" for ALL Basenoters in early November... Your choice of any one of the 6 (plus Storm and Coral) NMF now in production, and/or perhaps Mr. Morris would offer a couple of samples of his "vault" scents if we ask nicely.

Please, Neil?!?

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by ComDiva View Post
    Okay, gang, we have an Ava Luxe week going on in October, and the guys are considering a "scent synchronization day" also in October.

I would like to suggest a "Neil Morris Day" for ALL Basenoters in early November... Your choice of any one of the 6 (plus Storm and Coral) NMF now in production, and/or perhaps Mr. Morris would offer a couple of samples of his "vault" scents if we ask nicely.

Please, Neil?!?
    Great idea sis! I've been eyeing my Aegean and Quest samples and saving them for a special occassion!!

Let's do it! How about the second Saturday in November??

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Great idea sis! I've been eyeing my Aegean and Quest samples and saving them for a special occassion!!

Let's do it! How about the second Saturday in November??
    Works for me!

Mike, can you post this on the Men's board, and Moderator, can we please have a sticky? Either board, whichever makes the most sense, or is easiest!

I'd love to see participation from all interested!

Works for me. I still have mine, though some are almost empty!

Basenotes Institution

Works for me!

Mike, can you post this on the Men's board, and Moderator, can we please have a sticky? Either board, whichever makes the most sense, or is easiest!

I'd love to see participation from all interested!
    Will do (post on the mens board). HEY! Sticky needed here!!! :wave:

I am also in, dear BearSis Wonderful idea!

After all it was you who drove me in the welcoming arms of Neil Morris

There is still enough in the samples and I now will guard them like a hawk.

I got my samples last month and have put Afire and Midnight Flower into my current rotation. I LOVE the way these scents have 3 distinct phases. And the dry downs are super-yummy. For a newbie nose - these scents are very educational.

Please, Neil?!?
    Awesome idea! I'm in

ok mike recruited me, and i'm definitely game here... but i haven't had a chance to do any investigation on Neil's site.

any suggestions for little ol' hot weather me? tend to shy away from too sweet/gourmand or too (white) flowery, tend to really be into quailty citrus, vetiver, (lately) rose, olibanum, older barbershop-type frags

Quote Originally Posted by rentboy View Post
    ok mike recruited me, and i'm definitely game here... but i haven't had a chance to do any investigation on Neil's site.

any suggestions for little ol' hot weather me? tend to shy away from too sweet/gourmand or too (white) flowery, tend to really be into quailty citrus, vetiver, (lately) rose, olibanum, older barbershop-type frags
    I'd say go for Aegean, Quest and/or Coral, and if you get a chance, get onto Neil's site and e-mail the man himself about whether he could recommend one or two from his "vault" for you to try. I'm willing to bet he'll find something for you in time for the NMF Day!

I do find the frags to run on the sweet side, but especially if you specify non-sweet, I bet you'll get something that fits the bill.

Will do, thanks ComDiva!

I hope no one gets mad at me, but I am feeling ready to order some Neil Morris samples. This thread is pretty old, and I'm thinking that a lot of you have likely tried some of these fragrances within the last year.

What are your favorite Neil Morris fragrances? Which ones would be "must try" for a newbie to the line?

I just got some samples, too. My two favorites so far are Gotham and Le Parfum d'Odette. I must admit, though, I have not spent nearly enough time with them.

Blog Entries

Haunani - that is tough to answer. His scents are SO wide-ranging. But I've got to tell you - I just sampled 5 new ones that aren't on his website yet, and I'm about to put the reviews out on my blog in my next post. Maybe I'll go ahead and do it tonight.

I'll tell you - I can't pick one out for you, because they're just so different. You'll see. The one I'm ordering next is called Midnight Forest. It's really nice.

The two Asha mentions are among his most popular. But I REALLY want to try the one he did for Takashimaya.

What are a couple of rough types of scents that you're into right at this moment? That might help me narrow it down.

Blog Entries

Burnt Amber, Gotham, Gandhara, Rose Kali and Cafe for me.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Thanks Asha, RP and Mudassir. I was just reading the reviews and lists of notes for the ones in the BN directory, and the following ones sound possibly interesting to me:

Spirit of Water?
    Burnt Amber?
    Dark Season?
    Dark Earth
    North Woods?
    Gotham
    Hologram?
    Hula (on principle, LOL)
    Intimate Vanilla?
    Midnight Moon?
    Midnight Sea?
    Moulin Rouge?
    October
    Quest?

I like fragrances that smell like the ocean, salt, the earth, amber, some incense, green plants, "watery" flowers, spices, and woods.

I do NOT like fragrances with certain aldehydes, really indolic florals, sweet fruits, chocolate, or that smell "old-fashioned".

Any Neil Morris recs based on those preferences?

Thank you - there are so many on the website, I'm a bit overwhelmed!

His scents are truly magnificent;
    Gandhara is gorgeous
    Afire is a treasure
    Prowl is one of my all time favorite scents, (and if you know my wardrobe, this is saying a lot for it!)
    Fetish is exotically delish
    Zephyr is not a scent for me to wear, but I am so enamored of it I just adore it. I could just smell the bottle all day.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

Thanks, Brielle. I just read RP's blog reviews, and these sound interesting, too:

Vanille Rose?
    City Rain?
    Rumi?
    Midnight Forest
    Vapor?
    Red Sky

And I just realized that I already have a sample of Prowl to try, thanks to Aiona!

I just found this thread and I don't care if anyone gets mad at me for bumping it up, lol-I have to know! My question is this, and I've asked Red as well: I am into tempestuous, heavy-breathing scents, no light and airy ones for me. Which Neil Morris scents would evoke the "vixen" to you all? I'm looking to buy a few samples (for women) from his line and don't know where to start. I read the notes and all I get is blah blah blah because I'm not good at putting fragrance notes into action in my brain. I can read it, but still not get what it actually would smell like, if you know what I mean. I need a very literal description. Someone help! I want to know which of them to order a sample of.

Blog Entries

Burnt Amber is a great one. It is total truth in advertising. Strong, strong, strong. But you must REALLY love amber to handle it. I use a dark beer analogy for many of Neil's scents, and I think that's especially true here.

North Woods is just amazing pine, but again, very, very strong. I think it's great.

Hula is actually damn good. I almost bottled on that one, but went with Flowers for Men: Rose instead. It was a tough decision. My 3-word description is pineapple sport cologne, but that's not really fair, because it's what a sport cologne SHOULD be, not what they are. It's a strange mango/papaya/something scent that lasts and lasts.

I think you might like Red Sky or City Rain, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    Thanks Asha, RP and Mudassir. I was just reading the reviews and lists of notes for the ones in the BN directory, and the following ones sound possibly interesting to me:

Spirit of Water?
    Burnt Amber?
    Dark Season?
    Dark Earth
    North Woods?
    Gotham
    Hologram?
    Hula (on principle, LOL)
    Intimate Vanilla?
    Midnight Moon?
    Midnight Sea?
    Moulin Rouge?
    October
    Quest?

I like fragrances that smell like the ocean, salt, the earth, amber, some incense, green plants, "watery" flowers, spices, and woods.

I do NOT like fragrances with certain aldehydes, really indolic florals, sweet fruits, chocolate, or that smell "old-fashioned".

Any Neil Morris recs based on those preferences?

Thank you - there are so many on the website, I'm a bit overwhelmed!

Thanks, RP. This will help me narrow down my sample order!

Interesting about HULA. Is it really pineapple-y, or more mango and papaya? I ask because I spent three of my teen-aged summers working in a pineapple cannery. Not one of my favorite smells!

P.S. I do like dark beer, so that's encouraging. And amber is good. Wearing Blue Amber to bed tonight. Delish!!!
    Last edited by Haunani; 1st March 2009 at 07:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TaraYvonne View Post
    I just found this thread and I don't care if anyone gets mad at me for bumping it up, lol-I have to know! My question is this, and I've asked Red as well: I am into tempestuous, heavy-breathing scents, no light and airy ones for me. Which Neil Morris scents would evoke the "vixen" to you all? I'm looking to buy a few samples (for women) from his line and don't know where to start. I read the notes and all I get is blah blah blah because I'm not good at putting fragrance notes into action in my brain. I can read it, but still not get what it actually would smell like, if you know what I mean. I need a very literal description. Someone help! I want to know which of them to order a sample of.
    My darling, you naughty vixen you. I like your style, it is the same for me. I would suggest either; Fetish or Gandhara as a great starting point. Prowl is also a great one I just tried.

Gandhara is a lovely exotic scent. When I wear this I feel like I am an Indian princess, veiled and discreetly weaving my way through the markets, and the bazaars. I am surrounded with exotic spices, incenses, exotic fruits, and those earthy smells that are in the faraway places of the world. At the same time, someone has just given me a small bunch of exotic flowers that smell ever so luscious, but the spicy earthiness keeps the flowers from lifting me too far away from my adventure; they lighten my spirit yet I am firmly ensconced in my exotic surroundings.

Fetish is a fabulous scent which makes me think of being in a harem, whether in Arabia or somewhere else there is a sense of forbidden pleasure I associate with it. It makes me think of a time and a place far away in time where a fragrance was meant to evoke the aroma of passion and excitement. It is as if someone gave you free reign with some of the most aromatic exotic ingredients and you could use them with abandon. It makes me think of Marguerite de Navarre, Mata Hari, women who had the power to seduce, and made no qualms about it. If I wear this I feel lusty.

Prowl is another scent I just adore, I find it is done in the grand tradition, with a lot of body, a lot of personality and a lot of excitement. It makes me feel like I am in a different time, when women would put on a beautifully fitted dress, gloves, and a fabulous jacket; hair would of course be perfectly coiffed and fetching. Men at a party could not help but to want you, and envy your husband; who would expect less. It is a femme fatale fragrance.
    Hope this helped, good luck.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TaraYvonne View Post
    I think you're in good hands with Brielle.

Neil has lots of power scents - you've come to the right place. Not every person can or will wear Black Orchid, and not every person can or will wear Neil Morris. I like Tom Ford Extreme and Yatagan - you can see why I'm here. But even then, I'm not made of the stuff to wear his stronger scents.

If you ever channel Morticia of the Addams Family, or wear all black, or all purple, or like to be mysterious, then Spectral Violet is worth checking out. It's like violets and limestone. Not lime - limestone. It's very, very strong. My wife was horrified by it, but I thought it was extremely interesting. My two favorite violet scents at the moment are probably Les Météorites and Spectral Violet.

Good luck in your hunt!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    Thanks, RP. This will help me narrow down my sample order!

Interesting about HULA. Is it really pineapple-y, or more mango and papaya? I ask because I spent three of my teen-aged summers working in a pineapple cannery. Not one of my favorite smells!

P.S. I do like dark beer, so that's encouraging. And amber is good. Wearing Blue Amber to bed tonight. Delish!!!
    Great question about Hula. Personally, I think it's more like pineapples. But nobody else seems to think that. Everybody says something else. So I would say choose this one at your own risk, if you don't love pineapple. I would say in your case, that sampling is a must.