Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1

    Question Creed and ambergris

    Hi everybody,

    recently I have been given a sample vial of Original Vetiver, and I like it very much.
    The drydown is heavenly and I wonder if this smell is ambergris.I ask this because I've read ambergris is a Creed "house note", which is present more or less in all their fragrances, but I never smelt pure ambergris and so I've no idea about its smell.

    The second question is: Where in the Creeds fragrances the ambergris note is more pronounced?

    I want to buy a bottle of Creed and I'm very undecided between OV, GIT or Fleur de Bulgarie (because I love the scent of roses) or a more recent release (Virgin Island or other).

    Please advise. I'm 45 yo male, if this can help.

    Thank you all in advance for your inputs.

    W.

  2. #2

    Talking Re: Creed and ambergris

    Imperial
    GIT

  3. #3

    Default Re: Creed and ambergris

    The ambergris is most pronouced in the base notes.

    Two Creeds with very noticeable ambergris are Ambre Cannelle and GIT.

    But the Creed with the strongest ambergris, IMO, is Acier Aluminum.
    Last edited by ajmc; 2nd May 2007 at 09:25 PM.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Creed and ambergris

    I'm with P-Natra,
    Imperial
    GIT,
    SMW
    are all great!

  5. #5

    Cool Re: Creed and ambergris

    I would test them on the skin before buying, because you don't know how it will react to you skin chemistry. I see people endorse SMW and Imperial because they are phenomenal scents, but they also have very limited longevity. Its might be important to consider if you want to pay that amount of money for something so fleeting. What I'm getting at is, you should take the time to test them out.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Creed and ambergris

    Quote Originally Posted by Waldemar View Post
    I ask this because I've read ambergris is a Creed "house note", which is present more or less in all their fragrances, but I never smelt pure ambergris and so I've no idea about its smell.
    W.
    I'm more curious about this question than the common "which Creed is best" question. That's very subjective and depends on skin chemistry.

    I'm smelled plenty of Creeds and I still can't fully pull out and identify ambergris as a singular common note in the bases. What specific ambergris qualities should I (and Waldemar) be looking for?
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 2nd May 2007 at 07:35 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

  7. #7

    Default Re: Creed and ambergris

    Acier Aluminum is all you need. Absolutely wonderful juice.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Creed and ambergris

    I find that the ambergris is most pronounced in Fleurs de Bulgari. On me the rose burns off pretty quickly and then it's just heavenly ambergris. I personally have had a bottle of Ambre Canelle and was totally grossed out by it. I couldn't smell any cinnamon at all. All I got was powdery jasmine and bay leaves mixed with a little rose. This only lasted about two hours on my skin. I tested it on my aunt and it was the same for her...short lived! I also didn't get much ambergris in Ambre Canelle because of the longevity problem.

    Fleurs de Bulgari lasts at least 8 to 10 hours on my skin. I think you should test it immediately!!!

  9. #9

    Smile Re: Creed and ambergris

    Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    I'm more curious about this question than the common "which Creed is best" question. That's very subjective and depends on skin chemistry.

    I'm smelled plenty of Creeds and I still can't fully pull out and identify ambergris as a singular common note in the bases. What specific ambergris qualities should I (and Waldemar) be looking for?
    This is just a personal opinion, but tincture of ambergris (from profumo.it) is excellent for layering with just about any scent. By itself, the ambregris is slightly fecal and animalistic, but after a short period of time seems to melt into your skin, leaving only a pleasant, slightly sweet "air." I've tried it with everything from patchouli frags to citrus compositions, almost always to good effect. Hope this helps.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Creed and ambergris

    The ones which I get strongest ambergris from would be Acier Aluminium, Angelique Encens, GIT, Vintage Tabarome, Himalaya (late in its development).
    "Donít try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. Ē - Henri Matisse.

    "Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

    reviews

  11. #11

    Default Re: Creed and ambergris

    I have to agree with MikeD about the "ambergris tout seule". IMO, it smells very much like milky vomit/fresh sweat.

    That does not mean, of course, that ambergris is a poor ingredient for a perfume. The ambergris that is detectable in most perfumes exists there as a 'seasoning' akin to using salt or MSG to enhance food. One would not remark about a fine meal that "it had a delicious salt accord" or "I could barely taste the salt in that meal" (at least not in the context we are discussing here).

    Ambergris is like salt: When present in certain degrees, it can complement a fragrance- it can even make a decent fragrance fantastic. The analog to this would be using the proper amount of salt in different meals- an alfredo would be pretty bland without it, but it has no place in, say, a White Russian or a bowl of fresh berries with cream.

    Find a few scents that purport to contain ambergris, and compare them to find the common note. It will be in the basenotes. Compare GIT with YSL Live Jazz for starters; they are different enough that the similarities are easy to spot.


    Have fun,
    -b
    Nihil Obstat Ben


    [url=http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1883]My Wardrobe[/url]

  12. #12

    Talking Re: Creed and ambergris

    Not really sure if there such thing as a pure ambregris note 'per se' in Creed fragrances.
    It's just like greyhueofdoubt pointed out,it is more like an orchestra of notes which gives the base notes,in a few cases is The combination of Musk and Ambergris,which is really nice,distinctive,rich and salty.

    Now this comes best in Himalaya,I haven't really tried all of the ones mentioned like fleurs de bulgarie which has actually the same base notes as Himalaya so it should smell nice but with a bit of rose in there maybe.
    I honestly would like you to actually get decants,this is the best way to try a new fragrance,limit it to max three or even four decants.
    I would advise you to go for:
    Himalaya-the best drydown of any creeds tried by me and I can asure you you'll get plenty of ambergris in it,it's just that it's more like, how to put it for you I get the dirtiness of Musc Ravageur +the saltiness of ambergris,I tell you it's amazing,don't miss this one.
    Fleurs de Bulgarie-assuming is on the same par with Hymalaia wiht regards to the base notes
    Irisia-this one is quite nice,not much discussed here on the boards,can;t understand why,perhaps is harder to find than other creeds.

    Now you should take your time and not only our word for it!Go out there try a few.



    Quote Originally Posted by Waldemar View Post
    Hi everybody,

    recently I have been given a sample vial of Original Vetiver, and I like it very much.
    The drydown is heavenly and I wonder if this smell is ambergris.I ask this because I've read ambergris is a Creed "house note", which is present more or less in all their fragrances, but I never smelt pure ambergris and so I've no idea about its smell.

    The second question is: Where in the Creeds fragrances the ambergris note is more pronounced?

    I want to buy a bottle of Creed and I'm very undecided between OV, GIT or Fleur de Bulgarie (because I love the scent of roses) or a more recent release (Virgin Island or other).

    Please advise. I'm 45 yo male, if this can help.

    Thank you all in advance for your inputs.

    W.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Creed and ambergris

    Quote Originally Posted by greyhueofdoubt View Post
    I have to agree with MikeD about the "ambergris tout seule". IMO, it smells very much like milky vomit/fresh sweat.

    That does not mean, of course, that ambergris is a poor ingredient for a perfume. The ambergris that is detectable in most perfumes exists there as a 'seasoning' akin to using salt or MSG to enhance food. One would not remark about a fine meal that "it had a delicious salt accord" or "I could barely taste the salt in that meal" (at least not in the context we are discussing here).

    Ambergris is like salt: When present in certain degrees, it can complement a fragrance- it can even make a decent fragrance fantastic. The analog to this would be using the proper amount of salt in different meals- an alfredo would be pretty bland without it, but it has no place in, say, a White Russian or a bowl of fresh berries with cream.

    Find a few scents that purport to contain ambergris, and compare them to find the common note. It will be in the basenotes. Compare GIT with YSL Live Jazz for starters; they are different enough that the similarities are easy to spot.


    Have fun,
    -b
    Nice post!

    I used to wear Live Jazz quite a bit (hence my name, but that isn't the only reason I chose it) and actually stopped wearing because I hated the basenotes. They literally made me slightly sick to my stomach and put me in a foul mood for some reason. GIT certainly doesn't have the same effect on me. But I do recognize Live Jazz's similiarities to many Creeds in the base.

    Which brings me to my next question: what do perfumers use to replicate the ambergris scent? I know they don't use the real stuff. Perhaps Live Jazz uses a different (cheaper) cocktail to create the illusion, while Creed uses something that doesn't react so negatively with me and compliments the overall base accord better. Or maybe it isn't the ambergris in Live Jazz that's bothering me. Or maybe I'm rambling.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 3rd May 2007 at 01:40 AM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

  14. #14

    Default Re: Creed and ambergris

    Livejazz-

    This is an area where scentimental would be of great assistance- he knows more about these things than I do.

    There are a few synthetic chemicals (Ambrox, Ambreine, mixed with Naphthofuran II) that are sometimes used. I also found a formula that recommended patchouli and cypress to recreate the ambergris smell, but I can't imagine how that would come even close to smelling like real ambergris.

    The debate about Creed and their 'natural' ingredients is left to another thread; however, whether they use real or synthetic ambergris, some of their frags' basenote's do have the right accord. Live Jazz also seems to get it right, but I'm not knowledgable enough in this area to say whether or not their ambergris accords are genuine.


    -ben
    Nihil Obstat Ben


    [url=http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1883]My Wardrobe[/url]

  15. #15

    Default Re: Creed and ambergris

    Nice thread. I have about 14 Creeds now (time to STOP!), and I'm always trying to suss out what exactly ambergris smells like. Like Paintrman said regarding Ambre Canelle that it grossed him out... well, I think this happened to me.

    The past week I got Ambre Canelle and Kingdom (no ambergris, but filthy all the same). It just got to a point today when I was looking for something to wear, and I was SICK of smelling dirty animalistic scents-- which was unfortunate because I knew my bottle of Acier Aluminium would be arriving from Scentiments.

    Acier Aluminium is NOT what I need to be smelling right now. I am amber-grissed out!

    I got my bottle, sniffed it once, almost fainted, and put it away for later. ( I do really like Acier Aluminium after living for a while with a decant-- its cold, metallic, medical supply fetish smelling rubber gloves thing is kind of a shocker. Reminds me of one particular scene from my childhood, so I had to have it. Also, speaking of... pussy... from a previous thread-- If you overapply Acier Aluminium, that's what it sometimes smells like for the first ten seconds, though it's gone after that.) I don't want to ruin my enjoyment of Acier Aluminium, so I'm gonna put it away until I'm finished with my "ambergris detox". I really do think somebody hit the nail on the head when they compared Acier Alumium with Kubrick's "Eyes Wide Shut"--dead on.

    Also, another fragrance that, to me, seems to be built on a serious platform of ambergris (whether real or not, who knows or cares) is Kouros Cologne Sport (Not regular Kouros). Kouros Cologne Sport is supposed to be based on the ocean and ambergris, and I think I can see it. It's one that outside of the realm of Creed--embodies a perfumer's apparent effort to highlight the qualities of ambergris.

    For now, I'm trying to avoid stuff with animalic notes, especially ambergris-- I've positively overdosed in the past week. I may not know exactly what it is-- but I know I've had too much of it! I'm going to be wearing things like D&G Masculine and Jil Sander Sport for men, until I get this out of my system.

    Last edited by Indie_Guy; 3rd May 2007 at 10:09 AM.

  16. #16

    Smile Re: Creed and ambergris

    Thank you very much for all your kind replies. It is time for me to test the scents you have suggested... I'll keep you updated!

    Cheers. W

Similar Threads

  1. General CREED perfumes impression
    By DreamerII in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 2nd March 2008, 06:04 AM
  2. Creed and its fancy clientele - So what ?
    By zztopp in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 1st March 2008, 06:37 AM
  3. Creed colognes containing NO ambergris ?
    By DULLAH in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 1st February 2008, 06:49 AM
  4. The Great Layering Challenge (Outline)
    By moondeva in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 20th March 2007, 10:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •