Code of Conduct

Thread: Dirt Scent

Default Dirt Scent

Well, I finally smelled Demeter Dirt today, and it smelled exactly like - dirt!

That is, the exact kind of dirt I used to play in when I was a kid, and the same as the sort of dirt I encounter on the infrequent occasions I do some gardening.

I suppose it could be handy in certain situations, like when for some unfathomable reason, one wishes to smell like an unwashed gardener.

Does anybody here wear this scent, and if so, could you please explain why?
    Renato

Default Re: Dirt Scent

This could give a whole new meaning to the phrase "Dirty Old Man"!

I've smelled it, and indeed, it smells a lot like mineral rich, moist soil. I think it's more of a comfort/ambiance spray. Or something. I can't imagine wearing it on the body, unless part of a costume.

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    I suppose it could be handy in certain situations, like when for some unfathomable reason, one wishes to smell like an unwashed gardener.

Renato

Ok, say you have a wife that's really into gardening.

And you HATE it!

She tells you to plant some flowers and tomato plants while she goes shopping. You're like, no way. If she's going shopping, I'm going to watch football and drink beer. You go outside, move some dirt around, spread a little on yourself, spray some Demeter Dirt on your clothes, and call it day!

...not that I would do this to my wife...if I had a wife...

But it's a reason one might wear Demeter Dirt.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 2nd May 2007 at 06:57 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post

And you HATE it!

She tells you to plant some flowers and tomato plants while she goes shopping. You're like, no way. If she's going shopping, I'm going to watch football and drink beer. You go outside, move some dirt around, spread a little on yourself, spray some Demeter Dirt on your clothes, and call it day!

Hmmm - that could be construed as being a tad sneaky.
    I might buy a bottle later today.
    Renato

It is supposedly Clint Eastwood's favorite- make of that what you will.

I personally would not wear it. I have a few scents that dry down to a very similar 'dirt' smell (possibly from vetiver basenotes) and I always dread that time of day.

If they could make a spray that smelled exactly like freshly-mown lawn, I might wear it.
    edit- Actually, if they made a Dirt that was actually a 'Dust'- the kind of dust you get on a dirt road or a dust storm- I might wear it. It would have to be very dry and mineral-y.

-ben
    Last edited by greyhueofdoubt; 2nd May 2007 at 11:21 PM.
    Nihil Obstat Ben

[url=http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1883]My Wardrobe[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by greyhueofdoubt View Post
    It is supposedly Clint Eastwood's favorite- make of that what you will.

I personally would not wear it. I have a few scents that dry down to a very similar 'dirt' smell (possibly from vetiver basenotes) and I always dread that time of day.

If they could make a spray that smelled exactly like freshly-mown lawn, I might wear it.
    edit- Actually, if they made a Dirt that was actually a 'Dust'- the kind of dust you get on a dirt road or a dust storm- I might wear it. It would have to be very dry and mineral-y.

-ben
    Clint Eastwood = DIRTy Harry
    I'm a tad suspicious of that claim, which I too have seen around.

Oddly enough, the Demeter's Dirt I was looking at comes in a two pack gift set where it's coupled with Demeter's Grass. Unfortunately, the Grass tester was empty so I've no idea if it would be what you were after.
    Renato

The only demeter I'm interested is Thuderstorm...or Thudershower...I think that's what it's called. Supposedly it has that smell of rain right after it hits sand in the desert and/or after it hits clean pavement. My absolute favorite smell in the world.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

And you HATE it!

Lol. That was brilliant.

Talking Re: Dirt Scent

Next thing you know someone will come out with those brilliant fragrances: sweat and pee.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Renato
    Dirt is one of the most popular Demeter scents.

One reason, I think, is it layers with other light/floral scents great.

I love florals on me that also smell like the flower stem, the branch, the leafs and the garden itself (like Voleur de Roses by L'Artisan or Rose Poivree by The Different Company or Midnight Violet by Ava Luxe). Somehow, when I get the 'dirty' smell in a floral scent it becomes more natural and realistic to me (perhaps because I have good memories of flowers in a garden). Also, more 'dirty' floral scents smell more masculine to me.

So, if I have a floral scent that I love - I could layer it with Dirt by Demeter and enjoy both.

Also - I must imagine: There are people out there that just want to smell like dirt. Plain and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Frances View Post
    Next thing you know someone will come out with those brilliant fragrances: sweat and pee.
    Oh my. Sir, I think you must be referring to perspiration and urine, sir.

(hehehe)
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Exclamation Thunderstorm

The only demeter I'm interested is Thuderstorm...or Thudershower...I think that's what it's called. Supposedly it has that smell of rain right after it hits sand in the desert and/or after it hits clean pavement. My absolute favorite smell in the world.
    Yes, if I believed it might smell like that, I would order some immediately. Unfortunately most of the Demeter fragrances have deeply disappointed me. Dirt is the only one I found to smell strikingly, impressively like what it's named after.

I'm especially dubious about Thunderstorm because it is described on Demeter's Web site as "The more powerful, deeper and earthier cousin to our Rain fragrance." I was really excited to smell Rain, because I love the smell of rain. When I finally found a tester, it smelled like some indistinct blend of soft florals. Nowhere I've lived (in the western U.S.) has rain ever smelled anything like that.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Dirt is one of the most popular Demeter scents.

One reason, I think, is it layers with other light/floral scents great.

I love florals on me that also smell like the flower stem, the branch, the leafs and the garden itself (like Voleur de Roses by L'Artisan or Rose Poivree by The Different Company or Midnight Violet by Ava Luxe). Somehow, when I get the 'dirty' smell in a floral scent it becomes more natural and realistic to me (perhaps because I have good memories of flowers in a garden). Also, more 'dirty' floral scents smell more masculine to me.

So, if I have a floral scent that I love - I could layer it with Dirt by Demeter and enjoy both.

Also - I must imagine: There are people out there that just want to smell like dirt. Plain and simple.
    That's an interesting application. A scent that turns feminine floral scents into masculine scents - might be a winner after all.
    Renato

Default Re: Thunderstorm

Quote Originally Posted by d4 View Post
    Yes, if I believed it might smell like that, I would order some immediately. Unfortunately most of the Demeter fragrances have deeply disappointed me. Dirt is the only one I found to smell strikingly, impressively like what it's named after.

I'm especially dubious about Thunderstorm because it is described on Demeter's Web site as "The more powerful, deeper and earthier cousin to our Rain fragrance." I was really excited to smell Rain, because I love the smell of rain. When I finally found a tester, it smelled like some indistinct blend of soft florals. Nowhere I've lived (in the western U.S.) has rain ever smelled anything like that.

Yeah...I tend to be skeptical of Demeters too, but I someone on here RAVED about Thunderstorm on here and said it smells JUST like freshly rained on rocky soil. I'd at least like to sample it.

Anyone know where I can find testers or get samples (preferably without ordering online)?

Yeah...I tend to be skeptical of Demeters too, but I someone on here RAVED about Thunderstorm on here and said it smells JUST like freshly rained on rocky soil. I'd at least like to sample it.

Anyone know where I can find testers or get samples (preferably without ordering online)?
    I would ship you my bottle, but I already gave it away. It was soooo not like a thunderstorm, and all of the raving reviews just anger me more. People talk about it smelling like ozone where lightning had just passed through, and I'd bet an oak to an acorn that none of them had actually smelled the scent they just described. The amount of lightning it would take to actually produce that smell to a human that is five miles away would be quite... astronomical. In the end, it smells a little bit of cucumber, and tomato plants. Just a little, then it's gone. A fairly poor attempt by Demeter, and this is coming from someone who has lived in Kansas for fourteen years of his life. Shit, all we do here is wait for a storm to pop up and then sit on our driveways and watch it come in. Throw in a tornado, and you've just concocted what we call "Due cause for a party."
    - Rich
    Last edited by _R$_; 3rd May 2007 at 07:27 AM.
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

Quote Originally Posted by _R$_ View Post
    I would ship you my bottle, but I already gave it away. It was soooo not like a thunderstorm, and all of the raving reviews just anger me more. People talk about it smelling like ozone where lightning had just passed through, and I'd bet an oak to an acorn that none of them had actually smelled the scent they just described. The amount of lightning it would take to actually produce that smell to a human that is five miles away would be quite... astronomical. In the end, it smells a little bit of cucumber, and tomato plants. Just a little, then it's gone. A fairly poor attempt by Demeter, and this is coming from someone who has lived in Kansas for fourteen years of their life. Shit, all we do here is wait for a storm to pop up and then sit on our driveways and watch it come in. Throw in a tornado, and you've just concocted what we call "Due cause for a party."
    - Rich
    Couldn't disagree with you more big guy. I lived in North Texas for thirty years fishing, hunting, running my dogs in hunt tests all over Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Kansas. Been right in the middle of hundreds of massive thunderstorms. Demeter Thuderstorm isn't a high quality fragrance in terms of raw ingredients but it does a hell of a job of recreating the scent.

Somehow I knew you were going to disagree with me pluran! I guess it's just because we have a different taste in fragrances, but I really love the fact that we are nearly opposites... except for hunting and fishing. But anyways, I don't like a lot of fragrances, so as with all of my posts, I SHOULD say sample it for yourself.
    - Rich
    Oh, by the way, I still think you're hot.
    Last edited by _R$_; 3rd May 2007 at 07:47 AM.
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

Basenotes Institution

According to a few blogs I've read, Demeter should very soon be offering smaller sized bottles (yes, smaller than the 1 oz they currently sell) for all of the scents. Not sure when...I keep checking the site every few weeks, just to see myself since I have a few scents (Dirt, Fiery Curry, Ginger Ale...to name a few) I want to try.

Oh, by the way, I still think you're hot.
    RAWR! Look out!

(that part of your post just made me smile from ear to ear! so awesome)

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    Oh my. Sir, I think you must be referring to perspiration and urine, sir.

(hehehe)
    Actually, "sweat" has been out on the market for some time already.

Sweat: Kingdom by Alexander McQueen

(IMO)

But really, about Dirt: I've thought about buying it several times. I would layer it with Grass or Wet Garden. One of my favorite smells is that ozonic smell after a rain, and that combined with Dirt would make an excellent nature fragrance. The only real problem with Demeter scents is that they only last long enough for a "pick-me-up."
    And he whose soul is flat -- the sky
    Will cave in on him by and by.

—from "Renascence" by Edna St. Vincent Millay

Shit, all we do here is wait for a storm to pop up and then sit on our driveways and watch it come in. Throw in a tornado, and you've just concocted what we call "Due cause for a party."
    - Rich
    Hahaaaa that's so true. I have a lot of family in central KS, and my uncle there is quite the...ummm rustic outdoorsman.

He once told me that his plan for the evening was to "bury the turnips for the winter and watch the front roll in out on the porch". It was pretty nice, and of course it smelled wonderful. I like it there. For about a week.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 3rd May 2007 at 11:22 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Kotori View Post
    One of my favorite smells is that ozonic smell after a rain, and that combined with Dirt would make an excellent nature fragrance.
    I always thought Claiborne for Men, the old fragrance from the 80's with the smoke glass bottle with the red square top has the 'ozonic smell after a rain' that you mention Kotori. Give it a sniff - can be found cheaply online and at fragrance discounters.

I know people say that Dirt (and all Demeter) fades incredibly quickly, but I find it lasts and lasts on me. Put it on 6 hours ago and I can still smell it strongly which is not the case with any of my other fragrances except Elixir Des Merveilles (which never, ever fades- hardiest fragrance I have ever known).

Be sure to try Demeter Earthworm if you want to smell like potting soil.

I wear Dirt on occasion. The novelty of smelling like soil is whatever for me, but the dry down of that particular Demeter is really nice and soapy, while maintaining some of the edge of the opening. It's unique.

Quote Originally Posted by d4 View Post

Try Bois d'Orage by Malle. This scratches that itch well for me.
    If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart? -Alexander Solzhenitsyn, novelist, Nobel laureate

Wanting to try:

Fougère Bengale, Cafe Noir

Wanting to buy:

Yohji Homme EDT

I love Demeter Dirt and many of the others just for the experiential aspect to it. If you like Demeter Dirt, try CB i hate perfume--Black March Water. Both are wonderful for me, especially when I long for spring in the throes of winter. I'm pretty sure Christopher Brosius is the creator of both of these fragrances.
    Your nostrils, which will dilate immesurably in unspeakable contentment, in motionless ecstasy, will ask nothing better for space, for they will be full of fragrance, as if perfumes and incense; for they will be glutted with complete happiness, like angels who dwell in the peace and magnificence of pleasent heaven.
    (From Maldoror by Comte de Lautreamont)

It seems the the folks at Demeter have a wicked sense of humour. If you want heads to turn try wearing Rubber for fun. ..I mean the fragrance..
    Re: Avatar-So are they whats known as subwoofers?

fountain

it's more like a room spray, imo.