Code of Conduct

Thread: Creeds

Default Creeds

Hey Ladies, I just wanted to get your opinions on Creeds. Do you have a favorite you like on a man? I've tried Green Irish Tweed, Silver Mountain Water, Millesime Imperial, and Tabarome and honestly like them all. I was curious as to which one you find the best. I'm a 28 year old banker who likes a trendy but also somewhat classic style. Thanks so much for you input!
    Brandon

Default Re: Creeds

Royal English Leather. But then I like that on me.

I wouldn't call Creed trendy, and thank goodness for that. You might try the new Virgin Island Water if you want to be a bit trendy, though I think 28 is too old for trendy. Leave it to teenagers.

Apart from GiT I love Orange Spice and Cuir de Russie.

EDIT: of course Royal English Leather - how could I forget. It is utterly wonderful, and not a bit trendy. Hooray!
    Last edited by Sestra; 1st May 2007 at 04:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bsmith001 View Post
    Hey Ladies, I just wanted to get your opinions on Creeds. Do you have a favorite you like on a man? I've tried Green Irish Tweed, Silver Mountain Water, Millesime Imperial, and Tabarome and honestly like them all. I was curious as to which one you find the best. I'm a 28 year old banker who likes a trendy but also somewhat classic style. Thanks so much for you input!
    Brandon

I have tried all of those w/ exception of Tabarome and I like them in this order:

1. GIT
    2. MI (I lil bit spicy)
    3. SMW (don't like the salty scent, perhaps I'm not much of an ocean lover).

I never liked Creed, too traditional conservative cold high-end "smell-good" colognes. american men into scents seem to be more into Creed than europeans who go for edgier modern scents.

scents I love for men are Cool Water, Jules, L 'Anarchiste, Le Mâle, Un Bois Sépia, Chêne, Egoïste, M7 and Habit Rouge
    Last edited by pierre obsidienne; 1st May 2007 at 08:12 PM.
    'luxury is an esthetic wrath' Serge Lutens

Thanks alot. I too agree that Creed seems a little tradional. There are alot of more modern scents that grab my attention more...such as burberry london or desire...I think the thing I do like about Creed so much is their quality. Even though GIT doesn't smell as good as some others from the get go, I've recieved more compliments on it as the dry down and sillage is just sooo sweet and nice. It just seems to get better on my skin throughout the day and also has the tendency to stick to my shirt collars which adds even more sillage. It's just nice to catch that wonderful whiff a time or two throughout the day.

Thanks alot. I too agree that Creed seems a little tradional. There are alot of more modern scents that grab my attention more...such as burberry london or desire...I think the thing I do like about Creed so much is their quality. Even though GIT doesn't smell as good as some others from the get go, I've recieved more compliments on it as the dry down and sillage is just sooo sweet and nice. It just seems to get better on my skin throughout the day and also has the tendency to stick to my shirt collars which adds even more sillage. It's just nice to catch that wonderful whiff a time or two throughout the day.

I love Creeds. But I love Burberry, too, on a guy. Why not get both? (Aaah... yes... welcome to Basenotes, where it's never either or or, but always AND...)

Here are my favorites:

1. Tabarome Millesme
    2. Millesme Imperial
    3. Silver Mountain Water

I've personally bought both # 1 and # 3 for men in my life---- # 1 for my husband, # 3 for my sister in law's husband (a Christmas gift based on a shopping trip she and I had where she admired it).
    And he whose soul is flat -- the sky
    Will cave in on him by and by.

—from "Renascence" by Edna St. Vincent Millay

for a man: Bois du Portugal
    for us both: Himalaya
    for just me: Jasmin Impeatrice Eugenie
    on my friend: Silver Mountain Water
    Last edited by rtamara41; 2nd May 2007 at 01:26 AM.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

My gf and I have experimented with many decants from various houses including Creed.

As the others have stated, Creed is too boring, generic and bleh.

Make sure you stay away from the following:

Bois Du Portugal
    Vetiver '48
    Santal Imperial
    Cypres Musc
    Aubepine Acacia
    Vintage Tabarome
    Cuir De Russie

All of the above are bound to make you reek of turkish sweets and arabian spices.

Last edited by zztopp; 2nd May 2007 at 01:42 AM.
    -

Smile Re: Creeds

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    My gf and I have experimented with many decants from various houses including Creed.

As the others have stated, Creed is too boring, generic and bleh.

Make sure you stay away from the following:

Bois Du Portugal
    Vetiver '48
    Santal Imperial
    Cypres Musc
    Aubepine Acacia
    Vintage Tabarome
    Cuir De Russie

All of the above are bound to make you reek of turkish sweets and arabian spices.

hmmm Creed is not boring and generic, noone said that ZZ - Creed is a very high end but more classic niche house compared to more daring perfumer like Frederic Malle and intellectually conceptual perfumer like Serge Lutens that 's all.

I don 't know Bois de Portugal and Santal Imperial but if these are unique spicy compositions I will give them a chance. perfume should not be a smell good cologne or freshner, anyone can buy good scented deodorants for that when getting out of the shower - perfume should make a statement and be a point of view and an expression so maybe Creed has something for me after all.
    'luxury is an esthetic wrath' Serge Lutens

I sniffed a few of the Creeds over the past weekend and I third the Royal English Leather.

I also like the Tabarome Millesme.

I'm currently a leather fan, and I think REL is way better than Cuir de Russie (smells great on initial spray but does not stick).
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

Thanks so much for your input on this. You are certainly right about not choosing either/or but "and." That's so funny because I was trying to decide on one or maybe two today but ended up doing three. I already had Tabarome and Green Irish Tweed, and although I love Millesime Imperial so much, I had to go with bottle of Silver Mountain Water. I really don't want anymore than three and my wife doesn't wear fragrances much as she's a little alergic herself, so I think the 3 Creeds will look good on our dresser. I've heard that frags go somewhat bad after 3-5 years so if I don't use these up by then, what the heck, if they do smell a little off, after that amount of time I could easily replace all three. Hopefully that won't be necessary, though.

have tried but just do not love the Creeds

Creed has more of an avid female customer base than indicated on boards like this, and they're not all the type who seek out a big, "grand dame" fragrance like Angelique Encens. There are quite a few women who buy GIT - for themselves, as well as for the men in their lives.

This is just my opinion, but when I encounter people wearing scents that are very bold, exotic and chosen to "capture a place," "make a statement" or scream at me, "This is ART, dammit,!" I feel that people are trying too hard to be something they're not. Art in perfumery is great, but as for whether or not art is "wearable," that's entirely subjective. Creed, by contrast, to me is more indicative of individuals who are very comfortable with who they are, and I find that quality especially attractive. I'd say that even if I wasn't a Creed owner. The scents themselves DO add special touches of confidence and sophistication, without concealing or overwhelming the character of their wearers. Like many others, I thought they seemed very simplistic at first testing, but they're the only fragrances I've owned in which I've grown more impressed with the quality and conception that went into them, the longer I've owned and worn them. And, for me, Olivier Creed certainly displayed both art and lifelong mastery of perfume-making with 2006's Feuille Verte (don't know why he chose this one for a limited edition). Anyway, just thought I'd offer a contrasting opinion here.

SMW was a great choice, bsmith001. I bought this a year ago for my summer fragrance rotation. But once spring rolled around again, I pulled this out, finally coming to understand and appreciate those qualities that make it a modern classic. I'll be wearing SMW all year round now, which is proof that Creed CAN be more surprising than people assume the brand to be.

...I really don't want anymore than three and my wife doesn't wear fragrances much as she's a little allergic herself, so I think the 3 Creeds will look good on our dresser.....if they do smell a little off, after that amount of time I could easily replace all three.
    At which time give Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet a try!! And also de Nicolai's New York!! :bounce:
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Basenotes Institution

The BEST Creed in my opinion = Virgin Island Water
    Second best = Silver Mountain Water