Code of Conduct

Default Wild Blackberry Musk by Ava Luxe

I've been looking for a mention or review of this one on Basenotes, but to no avail. The reviews at MUA have been positive but I'd like to know more opinions on this one. Would you consider it to be better than Mure et Musc (Extreme) by L'Artisan? What is your ultimate blackberry scent?

Thanks.

Default Re: Wild Blackberry Musk by Ava Luxe

I don't much care for blackberry scents, but I have tried both the Ava Luxe and the Mure et Musc which I received in swaps. The Ava Luxe is much stronger and lasts longer. I think there is a Mure et Musc "extreme" which is stronger than the Mure et Musc, but I can't remember for sure. I would go with the Ava Luxe, which is odd for me to say, because in general, I really like L'Artisans. I also prefer Ava Luxe Amber to any other amber scent I have ever tried.

I think some of us tried it in the Ava Luxe Week - have you read that thread? On me I am afraid it smells like cat's wee! Can send you my sample if you like - Pm me your addy - cos I sure as hell won't be wearing it again!
    --------------------------------------
    Have a search in this thread

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=195567

for blackberry and there are 3 reviews

HTH
    Last edited by quos; 2nd May 2007 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I think it was Taolady who said it was like yummy blackberry jam. Blackberries can have a kind of urinous quality on some people though.
    I've ordered a sample myself so will let you know how it turns out on my skin. I'm betting on pee but I could be surprised.

Many thanks for the replies so far, keep 'em coming!

quos - many thanks for the helpful info. Have sent a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    ... Would you consider it to be better than Mure et Musc (Extreme) by L'Artisan? What is your ultimate blackberry scent?

Thanks.
    I prefer WBM to MeM Extreme - but I have to admit I stopped searching after I found WBM. It is (on me) more aggressively blackberry-ish. (As a child, picked them in the woods behind our house on Long Island and the smell/taste is with me forever!! And it does smell like blackberry jam (Granny-made) on me!! :bounce:

I'm open for other suggestions but for now AL WBM is for me!!

Hope you'll post your reactions!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Taolady,

I've already tried Mure et Musc Extreme and found it a bit too girlie for my tastes. Also, I found that I had to spray on loads for any decent longevity - for the price tag, I was expecting better value for money (especially with it supposedly being an EDP).

I've long been looking for a house that releases 'fun' and good quality scents but at reasonable prices (i.e. as a substitute to the Body Shop, which has long gone downhill). Ava Luxe seems to satisfy this gap quite substantially, for me.

Just two questions:

1) EDP or pure parfum? I'd probably go for EDP as I'm more used to spraying than dabbing.

2) Best time of year to wear this? I'm thinking spring/summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    Taolady,...
    I've long been looking for a house that releases 'fun' and good quality scents but at reasonable prices (i.e. as a substitute to the Body Shop, which has long gone downhill). Ava Luxe seems to satisfy this gap quite substantially, for me.

Just two questions:

1) EDP or pure parfum? I'd probably go for EDP as I'm more used to spraying than dabbing.

2) Best time of year to wear this? I'm thinking spring/summer.
    1) My sample is EDP (haven't been able to order just yet because the site is down - filling orders!!! :bounce This had excellent sillage and longevity on me and I am ...difficult! (Dry skin)

2) Difficult to answer. You live in humid London (which I adore) in the middle of the Gulf Stream where it's still warm in October. I live at the beach on the coast of South Carolina which is still warm in November. Generally starts to warm up again in March. So "Spring" is a movable feast! Plus I tend to ignore categorizations when it comes to wearing frags - will douse something light in the middle of December and bathe in (gasp) Tabu in July.

AL's samples are so reasonable (and she always throws in an extra or so if you order five or more) that I would think it's worth your while to give it a try. When the site is up again!!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Hi Taolady,

The site was up and running, last night, although I don't know about now. I totally agree with you though - the prices are very reasonable.

I really can't see myself becoming a big fan of this house (or at least just yet) but I can see myself buying a couple of AL fragrances for when I want to wear something 'fun' or 'playful' (which I think is a rare thing to do, for a man - please correct me if I'm wrong). WBM is currently at the top of the list but I'm waiting for my sample to arrive (many thanks, quos!).

Agreed, Trebor - with the pound being so strong it's cheap as chips currently so I'm taking advantage! Four out of the nine fragrances I sampled turned out to be full bottle worthy, so don't doubt the quality! They last really well, too, which is a consideration for me since my skin chemistry devours most scents in a few hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Indiscreet View Post
    Agreed, Trebor - with the pound being so strong it's cheap as chips currently so I'm taking advantage! Four out of the nine fragrances I sampled turned out to be full bottle worthy, so don't doubt the quality! They last really well, too, which is a consideration for me since my skin chemistry devours most scents in a few hours.
    And was WBM among the ones you liked?
    --------------------------------------
    Well, I received my sample yesterday and decided to test it on my skin before going to bed.

On first impressions, it definitely smelt more unisex than Mure et Musc Extreme (thank God!). It started off with this nice (and slightly sharp) critrus blast, with the blackberry in the background. After a short period of time, the blackberry became stronger on my skin but the citrus notes still remained present, albeit less intensely. Personally, I found the citrus notes (which smelt more mandarin-like than lemony) a nice touch and felt that this gave the overall composition a bit more edge. At times, all I could smell was a faint blackberry-scented musk but, occasionally, the blackberry note seemed to re-emerge with a vengence. When I woke up this morning, I could still detect a trace of it on my skin (although the citrus notes had long disappeared by this stage).

Unfortunately, I only had roughly half a vial to play with and, as a result, had a very small amount left to wear to work today. However, even though I still wish I had more to apply, I've definitely been impressed by its strength and projection. After nearly 4 hours, it's still quite noticeable on my skin (however, the sillage has died down considerably). It certainly hasn't turned on my skin (nor does it smell like urine, to my nose) and there's no uncomfortable sensation of wearing something overtly girlie (I may an open-minded guy, but there is a limit!). So, I think my search for a decent berry scent is officially over! :bounce:

However, I intend to refrain from ordering a 30ml bottle until I receive a further bunch of AL samples I ordered last night (one of them being Forbidden Fruits). I can see myself purchasing a couple of bottles.

Many thanks for the samples, quos! And, yes, White Chocolate was a horrid piece of shite!
    Last edited by Trebor; 4th May 2007 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost