Code of Conduct

Default Brian Eno on scents and sensibility

Brian Eno - I've always admired him as one of the pioneers of contemporary music, but I had no idea he was so into scents. A nice read from way back (even if Jicky is not the oldest perfume in existence )
    Last edited by the_good_life; 4th May 2007 at 09:31 AM.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Default Re: Brian Eno on scents and sensibility

Very interesting and thought-provoking article. Many thanks.

Thanks for the link! Eno is da bomb.

Very nice indeed. Even though his experiences with vetiver and coriander may not be the enormous puzzles he thinks they are (there are simply different vetiver grasses, and coriander is also not a single smell (think only of the differences between fresh, dried and ground coriander) , I love love love the conclusion he draws from these experiences:

Perhaps our sense of this, the sense of belonging to a world held together by networks of ephemeral confidences (such as philosophies and stock markets) rather than permanent certainties, predisposes us to embrace the pleasures of our most primitive and unlangued sense.

A very nice thought.

As a rabid U2 fan, it's nice to see this.

Funny you mention Brian Eno, I just watched 28 days Later and he composed a piece that is played in the movie, fits it perfectly.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/wma-p...499076-5975842

there's a sample of the song.

anyway, good read, thanks

Very interesting, thanks. Also very much of its time. Since then, uncertainty has become an absolute and thus eaten itself.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Wonder what he has in his wardrobe beyond Jicky and Fahrenheit? Also, if Celine Dion and Britney Spears can have a scent, why can't Brian have one?
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post
    Wonder what he has in his wardrobe beyond Jicky and Fahrenheit? Also, if Celine Dion and Britney Spears can have a scent, why can't Brian have one?
    After being a fan of Eno's ambient music for so long, I can totally imagine an 3N0 line of fragrance (possibly very similar to the CdG Synthetic series), featuring "scentscapes" like Airport Waiting Lounge, Dusty Ghost Bush, Clear Colours, Warm Jets and (of course) Neroli 1993

"[...] it [Jicky] now has a following among gay men."

Well... Brian Eno and perfume... hmm... should stick to the music.
    Last edited by DesGrieux; 4th May 2007 at 05:51 PM.

This guy knows his accords !
    -

I wanted to BUMP this thread for any newcomers to the site or anyone who might have missed this the first time the thread was created.
    A fellow blogger shared this interview with me today, and I read it with great interest.

As t_g_l removed the original link some while ago, Im posting it again here.

http://music.hyperreal.org/artists/b.../detail92.html

What a terrific article - thanks so much for posting it again. I'm a fan of Eno's work - my day job for the last 30 years has been spent working (and playing!) in recording studios and he has been an influence. These last few months have been like a revelation investigating the world of scent and gradually seeing how the shapes come about. It is a mystery, and it's fun and it's art and it's craft and science and, I'm sure, also a few happy accidents - a lot like recording. Thanks again - renewed respect for Mr. Eno's curiosity and very grateful I landed here on basenotes as I explore

Thanks for the bump Dimitri. I somehow missed this thread when going through all the old forum archives. I do like Eno's work, although not as of late. And since I'm obsessed with scents right now, I can't wait till I get a chnce to read the article.

His dabbling in perfume reminds me of Jean Des Esseintes from Huysmann's book "Au Rebours"

simply a visionary..

I had the pleasure of meeting Brian Eno back in the 70's at The Kitchen, a performance art space in New York. Artistically and politically he remains an inspiration to all.