Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default To all you bath lovers

favorite thing to put in bath mine- JM orange blossom or dermalogica bath wash suggestions?

Default Re: To all you bath lovers

JM amber and lavender..... perfect way to wind down....

I am on Aedes mailing list and they just sent out a blurb about Abahna Frankincense and Sweet Orange Bath oil - sounds good, may have to try some
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

ylang-ylang and sandalwood essential oils, baking soda, epsom salt and almond oil.
    From the moment I was six I felt sexy. And let me tell you it was hell, sheer hell, waiting to do something about it.
    Bette Davis

Sigh. Don't mess with baths much any more. Getting out of the tub is a - challenge. Sigh.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

1/2 cup of powdered milk and lavender or jasmine oil.
    "Woe to the one who's love of elixirs, grows into madness"
    :bounce:

The Chanel No 5 bath oil is great - I actually like it better than the perfume. When I'm in America, I usually stock up on Aveeno sachets for the winter. At the moment I'm enjoying Lush's Green Day bubble bath, and I like all their violet or jasmine-scented products - I also use their Tramp shower gel in the bath.

Blog Entries

EL Youth Dew is quite nice. I also like Bath Junkie Bath Salts the one with the extra mosturizers. One of my favorites is 'Liquid Valium'. You have to buy it in person though.

I don't mess with baths much either. Partly because my boiler is cranky and only lets me have luke warm water most of time - not ideal for lounging. I enjoy the Lush bath bombs though, and I had a lovely bluebell bath oil which I bought from a book shop of all places - still got some and it's heavenly.

I don't think they make it any more, but my fave used to be Lush Uluru bath bomb. The smell was stunning.
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Ren's Morrocan Rose Otto bath oil - nothing else comes close!

Kneipp oils are also brilliant.

I use bathsalt with a nice scent, for the moment it is olive. And directly after the bath I use a perfumed bodylotion.
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, L´Heure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.

Ooh I liked that one! Don't you find, though, that you can smell a Lush shop a good 20 feet away?

Ooh I liked that one! Don't you find, though, that you can smell a Lush shop a good 20 feet away?

I also like the Chanel no 5 bath oil, followed by the dry oil body spray. Or, a completely unscented bath, followed by the Neutrogena sesame body oil. Or Kingdom shower gel in the bath, followed by the body lotion.

ok sorry to hear some of you girls having trouble with the bath idea etc but wow interesting suggestion on that Chanel 5 oil never thought to try that will do--also have to try some lavander you are all suggesting it thanks yall

NOTHING

I agree with Serge Lutens, bathrooms restrooms should smell like water not like lavender or else. candles, scented cosmetic products and deodorizing gimmicks kill Perfume.
    'luxury is an esthetic wrath' Serge Lutens

[quote=pierre obsidienne;1023221]NOTHING

I agree with Serge Lutens, bathrooms restrooms should smell like water not like lavender or else. candles, scented cosmetic products and deodorizing gimmicks kill Perfume.[/quote

I don't agree with Serge Lutens on this one. I think bathrooms and people should reflect the individual and THEIR taste! Although I do love a couple of Lutens scents, I certainly wouldn't let the man dictate what I can have in my bathroom! Each to their own.

Last truly inspired bath involved a whole bottle of vintage Tuvara bath oil. This was great. Too bad most everything bath/shower is tied up with gels these days

[QUOTE=spicegirl;1023438]
    Quote Originally Posted by pierre obsidienne View Post
    NOTHING

I agree with Serge Lutens, bathrooms restrooms should smell like water not like lavender or else. candles, scented cosmetic products and deodorizing gimmicks kill Perfume.[/quote

I don't agree with Serge Lutens on this one. I think bathrooms and people should reflect the individual and THEIR taste! Although I do love a couple of Lutens scents, I certainly wouldn't let the man dictate what I can have in my bathroom! Each to their own.

Serge Lutens wrote a few articles on perfume and scented by-products. he 's denouncing the multi-billion dollar industry dictating the anti-perfume pro-deodorizing-freshning scented-by products direction and trend. in 20 years from now he 's convinced people won 't be able to make a difference between a deodorizing scented product and a "perfume". by then consumers will be brainwashed to think Perfume = high end freshner.
    It started with Edmond Roudnitska Eau Fraiche, Eau Sauvage, Diorella and Diorissimo fragrances which is a concept of parfumerie he hates that was already announcing a definite "deodorizing" confusing trend killing Perfume.
    wether it was perfumes created by arabs 2000 years ago or a classic Guerlain, perfume was always a scent of character that you 'd wear like a diamond broche, a scent transporting you to exotic places and a scent revealing the real you but not a scent selling you illusions of being sexy when you re not and a scent making you smell like you just come out of the shower.
    It 's very important, we need elites like Serge Lutens to keep us out of the darkness and state of confusion the "perfume" industry keeps us in.
    Last edited by pierre obsidienne; 9th May 2007 at 12:09 AM.

OK, by now we all see His Majesty Serge's viewpoint that you seem to adamantly support.

Thank you very much for doing the fine job of educating the confused masses kept in the dark.

**** Sorry, I am red in the face here: kept pushing that "<--" button three times before I am finally posting this. Need to go take me a bath. With water, I guess.

interesting- nice reminder with the neutrogena sesame oil-wow haven't tried that in years

Did somebody just turn off the lights? Blimey it's dark in here!
    Oops sorry, must have been caused by the pure organic jasmine oil I just put in my bath. Yikes.... I'll never do that again!
    King Lutens might be watching........
    Last edited by spicegirl; 9th May 2007 at 02:33 PM.

Pity, I think some Miel de Bois bath oil would be very nice!
    Last edited by Indiscreet; 9th May 2007 at 02:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by spicegirl View Post
    Did somebody just turn off the lights? Blimey it's dark in here!
    Oops sorry, must have been caused by the pure organic jasmine oil I just put in my bath. Yikes.... I'll never do that again!
    King Lutens might be watching........
    I love it when someone says an open window is a better choice than marketed scented candles. Serge Lutens concept rehabilitates perfume.
    I understand a lot of people are allergic to "elites" (such a bad word LOL wow!) and public intellectuals, hey what can I tell you? that s they way things are but personnally in the media I 'd rather see real public intellectuals over Dr Phil [Material deleted by moderator (Chris) because it was political commentary and thus banned under Basenotes rules:]
    2.8 You are requested to avoid 'hot topics'

The Basenotes Community is not a suitable platform for the discussion of politics, religion and other hot topics. Posts, signatures and any other material you make public to the site containing these or any other hot topics may be locked, edited or removed.
    Last edited by Moderator; 11th May 2007 at 02:36 AM. Reason: Political comment removed, rule quoted. --Chris

Blog Entries

My favorite used to be 'Rive Gauche' bath oil. It scented the whole house, not just me. I don't know what could be wrong with enjoying a scent so thoroughly as that. I wonder if the poor quality of scent in deodorant and glade-type room sprays is what Lutens objects to, as do I. But to enjoy a lavender scent as a relaxing addition to a hot bath? What is the harm in that? Youth Dew was originally developed first as a bath oil and later made available as a perfume. The layering effect is beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    I wonder if the poor quality of scent in deodorant and glade-type room sprays is what Lutens objects to, as do I. But to enjoy a lavender scent as a relaxing addition to a hot bath? What is the harm in that?

no he doesn 't refer to quality. he talks about the deodorizing trend vs perfume. these are not only different but absolutely opposite in concept, unfortunately the perfume industry is making so much money over scented products, they re everywhere now and killing the original concept of perfume.
    more than ever fragrances smell unobstrusive neutral and soon they will just be deodorizing scents on the market.

there 's no harm in enjoying a scented oil bath, I used to do it too but when you think about it he 's right, everything now is scented, we don 't know what it is to smell things for what they are, we mask and neutralize everything.
    the original perfume concept has nothing to do with the sterilization trend, on the contrary perfume opens up horizons and transports us to unchartted territories.

Look at Annick Goutal 's line and what 's it become! when she was still alive until the late 90's although she had candles her line was about her fragrances and that 's it. when she died in 2000 as soon as she was bought by Taitainger which in turn was bought by an american company they over-developped scented products releasing new stuff more than ever. She 's not my favorite perfumer but she was authentic as a creator and I respect that, now her line might as well be found at Bed Bath and Beyond! how sad!
    Last edited by pierre obsidienne; 9th May 2007 at 09:26 PM.

Well I do not like things like Impulse or Lynx body sprays, if that's what he's talking about. But I can tell the difference between Impulse and, say, Ambre Sultan.

I know lol, but again this is not what he 's talking about at all. He refused to developp body products and other scented products for his line, he only wants perfume and just perfume. in 2002 he stopped the production of his alcohol-free version fragrances because he was afraid this would be against his concept of parfumerie.
    over his dead body before you find Serge Lutens deodorants, body lotions and shower gels! LOL
    Last edited by pierre obsidienne; 9th May 2007 at 09:58 PM.

wow Rive Gauche what an oldie but goodie brings back memories

I love it when someone says an open window is a better choice than marketed scented candles. Serge Lutens concept rehabilitates perfume.
    I understand a lot of people are allergic to "elites" (such a bad word LOL wow!) and public intellectuals, hey what can I tell you? that s they way things are but personnally in the media I 'd rather see real public intellectuals over Dr Phil and in politics over "he 's one of us" type of President, specially when you see the disaster of that mentality.
    I understand that you believe in this very strongly, but please understand that you are calling us dumb & silly, that we aren't intellectual human beings because we don't agree with your belief.

I love the aroma of fresh air & open my windows daily to naturally freshen my home. But, I also use essential oils every single day in a variety of uses...bath salts & oils, body massage oils, handmade soap, shower gels, body creams & butters as well oil burners & scented candles. Do I use these products to deodorize or neutralize my home? No, I don't! I use them to help my two children who have autism cope with the anxiety that builds up from the way they perceive this world they live in. It gives them comfort & helps bring calmness & balance into their young lives. It helps stops the one to two hour long screaming sessions my daughter used to endure when everything got to much for her. A simple body massage with a special calming & anxiety blend of essential oils followed by a bath with a bath oil made with the same oil blend stops the screaming & helps reduces the anxiety.

I use scent in many different forms to keep my stress levels down, including all the products mentioned above as well as straight "perfume". I even bake cookies & cakes for the aroma of them cooking when I'm in need of extra comfort. Perfume is just one small part of a bigger picture & there's no right or wrong, it's personal choice.

Reading this thread I think other basenoters enjoy relaxing at the end of the day in a warm bath soaking in the aroma of their chosen scent while their senses are heighten in a calming environment. They are intelligent people who base their decisions on their sense of smell & not on what deodorizes or neutralizes their world.

I admire you for having strong beliefs, just remember, not to put other people down when they don't agree with you. Everyone should be free to have their own beliefs, too!

Quote Originally Posted by moonlight_flower View Post
    I understand that you believe in this very strongly, but please understand that you are calling us dumb & silly, that we aren't intellectual human beings because we don't agree with your belief.

I love the aroma of fresh air & open my windows daily to naturally freshen my home. But, I also use essential oils every single day in a variety of uses...bath salts & oils, body massage oils, handmade soap, shower gels, body creams & butters as well oil burners & scented candles. Do I use these products to deodorize or neutralize my home? No, I don't! I use them to help my two children who have autism cope with the anxiety that builds up from the way they perceive this world they live in. It gives them comfort & helps bring calmness & balance into their young lives. It helps stops the one to two hour long screaming sessions my daughter used to endure when everything got to much for her. A simple body massage with a special calming & anxiety blend of essential oils followed by a bath with a bath oil made with the same oil blend stops the screaming & helps reduces the anxiety.

I use scent in many different forms to keep my stress levels down, including all the products mentioned above as well as straight "perfume". I even bake cookies & cakes for the aroma of them cooking when I'm in need of extra comfort. Perfume is just one small part of a bigger picture & there's no right or wrong, it's personal choice.

Reading this thread I think other basenoters enjoy relaxing at the end of the day in a warm bath soaking in the aroma of their chosen scent while their senses are heighten in a calming environment. They are intelligent people who base their decisions on their sense of smell & not on what deodorizes or neutralizes their world.

I admire you for having strong beliefs, just remember, not to put other people down when they don't agree with you. Everyone should be free to have their own beliefs, too!
    I never called anyone dumb and silly!

anyways, taking a scented bath is not a big deal of course, I used to do that too. here Serge Lutens is talking about the perfume industry going a certain direction and the saturation of scented products in our environment. scented products are everywhere. He has the experience of living in Morrocco, a culture non affected by scented by-products. not only because of this saturation in our culture we 're losing certain olfactory senses but perfume becomes secondary. I ve tried it, believe me getting rid of scented cosmetics and deodorants, candles and pot-pourris, taking a bath with purified water is really great, you happen to rehabilitate and get stimulated by your natural environment again, smell and appreciate the smell of water, air, home interiors etc for what they are! and then reach for a perfume, a real perfume not a scented by-product, it 's so rewarding and feels so good!
    in his latest book, the secret of scent Luca Turin talks about that too, the smell of coffee beans is one of the most beautiful thing there is in the world but in our culture we keep masking and sterilizing odors. people are confused, perfume becomes more and more a scented deodorizing or freshning product losing its identity.
    I was reading reviews on Le Baiser du Dragon, young women under 30 don 't understand the concept of what is a perfume anymore, if it 's not the typical refreshing and super clean fragrance you wear right after coming out of the shower they don 't see it as a perfume but more like a very off the wall scrubber not even trying to understand and appreciate the beauty and complexity of a real perfume. The perfume industry is responsible for that.
    Last edited by pierre obsidienne; 10th May 2007 at 05:02 AM.

Scented vs perfumed: I think this is a good way of looking at it. I reach for unscented deodorant, dryer sheets, lotion, and so on. But I occasionally reach for a perfumed creme (which is a very different thing than a scented moisturizer).

As for the original post, what do I enjoy in the bath? Epson salts, sometimes a lovely bubble bath (the bubblier the better), oatmeal in a sock. A glass of cold water, candlelight. Baths aren't about bath products for me, but post-bath my indulgence will almost certainly continue with some combination of cream, powder, perfume.

Some creams I like are Black Cashmere, Samsara, JPG Classique. Powders include Lush Silky Underwear or Karma, Dior products. I might use a scented gel in the shower some days. A touch of lavendar (such as Guerlain AA Lavande Velours) on myself or my sheets is nice if I'm close to climbing into cool sheets afterwards.

Oooohh, a local company makes an espresso body scrub. I use it in "Creme Brulee" although I don't think the scent is very aptly named. Actual ground up espresso bean is wonderful on the skin, and leaves my skin looking and feeling amazing.

I never called anyone dumb and silly!

anyways, taking a scented bath is not a big deal of course, I used to do that too. here Serge Lutens is talking about the perfume industry going a certain direction and the saturation of scented products in our environment. scented products are everywhere. He has the experience of living in Morrocco, a culture non affected by scented by-products. not only because of this saturation in our culture we 're losing certain olfactory senses but perfume becomes secondary. I ve tried it, believe me getting rid of scented cosmetics and deodorants, candles and pot-pourris, taking a bath with purified water is really great, you happen to rehabilitate and get stimulated by your natural environment again, smell and appreciate the smell of water, air, home interiors etc for what they are! and then reach for a perfume, a real perfume not a scented by-product, it 's so rewarding and feels so good!
    in his latest book, the secret of scent Luca Turin talks about that too, the smell of coffee beans is one of the most beautiful thing there is in the world but in our culture we keep masking and sterilizing odors. people are confused, perfume becomes more and more a scented deodorizing or freshning product losing its identity.
    I apologise if I misinterpreted your post, that's what I felt when I read your post. I'm a bit touchy when it comes to using E.O. based products because they benefit my family so much!

I agree that scented products are everywhere, I actually spent 12 months using only totally natural products - fragrance free, synthetic chemical free, colour free, back to basics homemade products. This included household cleaning products, cosmetics, skin care, body products...basically everything, because my body went into chemical overload & I got really ill. After 12 months everything righted, I still use mainly natural & organic products but I also use a small amount of products with synthetics, etc. in them. I actually became over-sensitized to many products because I'd cut them all so my olfactory senses were too sharp & touchy. I'd come home from shopping with migraines so I Iearnt balance is good. I have 100% natural perfumes & natural / synthetic combined perfumes in my collection, I haven't gone totally anti-synthetic just because I had a really bad experience, I just steer clear of the ones that cause me problems. So for me personally, I don't agree with cutting them out totally, I'm too allergy sensitive for that!

Bottom line is Basenoters are a very clever group of people & they know what's right for them.

And, if you are having trouble discerning different notes you can always do an olfactory detox every couple of months (have a totally free fragrance week) to sharpen your olfactory senses & still enjoy using scented products when the mood strikes. I've never had any problems with essential oils decreasing olfactory sensory functions though.

Just my opinion & two cents worth...

Anyway, to answer the original question! Sometimes I use bath salts, a combination of espom, fine, dead sea & rock sea salt with a small amount of powder milk & essential oils. Some nice combos are Lavender & Sandalwood, Lavender & Ylang Ylang, Rose & Jasmine or Lavender, Rose, Sandalwood, Jasmine, Ylang Ylang & Bergamot or Orange. At other times I make a bath oil with jojoba oil or cocoa butter bath melts.

Has any lady in this forum has ever tried any bubble bath products from Bath & Body Works signature collection, or perhaps any from Victoria Secret?

I am trying to purchase a bubble bath product for my GF. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

I like the BBW White Tea and Ginger, White Cherry Blossom and Wild Honeysuckle.

The only one I wear as a spray is White Tea and Ginger, but the others make fine bath products.

Nice thing about BBW is they have so many great sales, you can get a lot. Fun stuff!

One additional comment:

Which bubble bath product would blend nicely with red rose petals?

I bet the Night Blooming jasmine would work nicely...jasmine and roses is always a great combination!

Quote Originally Posted by Zibeline View Post
    I bet the Night Blooming jasmine would work nicely...jasmine and roses is always a great combination!
    Isn't this more of a shower gel, rather than a bubble bath product? Anyway, if shower gel products make bubbles, I'm willing to try it if you say it blends well with red rose petals.

Talking Re: To all you bath lovers

Well try the amber one if you want straight bubble bath...I use shower gels as bubble bath, but something specifically designated at one would probably do better.

Here's another idea: a Lush Amandopondo bubble bar...starts out as a rose scent and has a rosebud in it!

If there's one near you, you might try it...they are very bubbly

The discussion regarding scented by-products is quite fascinating and I have to say I'm not familiar with Serge Lutens' theories on the matter so I have a couple of questions and comments.

First, is the decline of olfactory acumen due to "over saturation" by scented by-products or more the shift from natural scents to synthetic scents? It seems to me that objecting to the use of essential oils in any scented products (bath oils, salts, lotions, candles) would be ludicrous since these are pure plant essences - the closest scents one can smell without actually walking outside and smelling the flowers and herbs. It seems that the objection is not being able to smell "real" things, which I would take to mean natural things. It doesn't make sense to say that what is desired is to stop and smell the surrouding environment (the air, the water) when the air may carry the highly objectionable scent of car exhaust, dirt, rotten garbage, the sickly sweet fumes of the local chain bakery (think Cinnabon). It's not the air itself that Lutens wants us to smell I would assume - I'm guessing the idea is to open a window somewhere out the countryside where the natural scents of surrounding plant life can waft through the house. Same goes for water - water itself doesn't have much of a scent. It's what's in the water: in many cities, the slightly acrid tinge of chemical used to treat the water or in the country, the slight wet dirt smell of well water. Perhaps I'm wrong though - maybe it is merely about being present to the existing smells in every environment regardless of the objectionable nature of the smell. But then why wear perfume?

Moreover, I love perfume (obviously) but what sacred quality should make me choose to smell only perfume above all other products? Wouldn't it be equally valid to eliminate all other scents to the exclusion of burning a very beautiful scented candle?

Frankly I'm also a bit lost about the whole deodarizing/sterilization idea - I don't consider any of my products other than actual deodorant or cleaning products to be deodorizing. Why is a "fresh" smell (such as lemons) necessarily deodorizing?

I also don't quite understand why M. Lutens would object to complementary perfumed by-products such as a matching body lotion or oil for a perfume? Although M. Lutens' scents certainly have better lasting power than others, making a complementary lotion less necessary, many perfumes simply have poor lasting power that needs to be boosted.

By the way, I'd just like to point out that I'm 25 and I hate with a passion all so-called "clean" scents that are marketed as smelling like laundry or soap or whatever. They simply don't suit me at all. And I happen to really like Le Baiser du Dragon

As to the original question, I love to put a few drops of lavender essential oil in the bath or Japanese hinoki salts or Lush bath bombs. I also have a divine bottle of jasmine scented bath salts made by a French company that no longer is sold in the U.S. When I use the jasmine salts, it perfectly compliments A la Nuit (sorry M. Lutens).
    Currently Wearing for Spring:
    La Chasse aux Papillons, Do Son, Eau de Lierre, Premier Figuer, No. 5 Sensual Elixir, No. 19, En Passant, Hiris, With Love, Vent Vert, and Citta di Kyoto

Think I am the odd one here but I drop a few vitamin C tablets into the water and pour in a good dose of glycerin when I take a long soak. I ususally have more vit c than I could ever take so dropping 5 grams of that into a bath doesn't hurt, and the glycerin helps moisturize my skin really well.

From this point on I start deciding what to scent the bath with, maybe an EO or maybe a commercial shower gel. I sometimes slice up a citrus and use them in a bath, juice and all, and I am thinking about trying that papaya lying in my fridge.

Quote Originally Posted by luyuan View Post
    The discussion regarding scented by-products is quite fascinating and I have to say I'm not familiar with Serge Lutens' theories on the matter so I have a couple of questions and comments.

First, is the decline of olfactory acumen due to "over saturation" by scented by-products or more the shift from natural scents to synthetic scents? It seems to me that objecting to the use of essential oils in any scented products (bath oils, salts, lotions, candles) would be ludicrous since these are pure plant essences - the closest scents one can smell without actually walking outside and smelling the flowers and herbs. It seems that the objection is not being able to smell "real" things, which I would take to mean natural things. It doesn't make sense to say that what is desired is to stop and smell the surrouding environment (the air, the water) when the air may carry the highly objectionable scent of car exhaust, dirt, rotten garbage, the sickly sweet fumes of the local chain bakery (think Cinnabon). It's not the air itself that Lutens wants us to smell I would assume - I'm guessing the idea is to open a window somewhere out the countryside where the natural scents of surrounding plant life can waft through the house. Same goes for water - water itself doesn't have much of a scent. It's what's in the water: in many cities, the slightly acrid tinge of chemical used to treat the water or in the country, the slight wet dirt smell of well water. Perhaps I'm wrong though - maybe it is merely about being present to the existing smells in every environment regardless of the objectionable nature of the smell. But then why wear perfume?

Moreover, I love perfume (obviously) but what sacred quality should make me choose to smell only perfume above all other products? Wouldn't it be equally valid to eliminate all other scents to the exclusion of burning a very beautiful scented candle?

Frankly I'm also a bit lost about the whole deodarizing/sterilization idea - I don't consider any of my products other than actual deodorant or cleaning products to be deodorizing. Why is a "fresh" smell (such as lemons) necessarily deodorizing?

I also don't quite understand why M. Lutens would object to complementary perfumed by-products such as a matching body lotion or oil for a perfume? Although M. Lutens' scents certainly have better lasting power than others, making a complementary lotion less necessary, many perfumes simply have poor lasting power that needs to be boosted.

By the way, I'd just like to point out that I'm 25 and I hate with a passion all so-called "clean" scents that are marketed as smelling like laundry or soap or whatever. They simply don't suit me at all. And I happen to really like Le Baiser du Dragon

As to the original question, I love to put a few drops of lavender essential oil in the bath or Japanese hinoki salts or Lush bath bombs. I also have a divine bottle of jasmine scented bath salts made by a French company that no longer is sold in the U.S. When I use the jasmine salts, it perfectly compliments A la Nuit (sorry M. Lutens).
    great discussion!

saturation of scented by-products is really what irks Lutens the most. he talks about the need of perfume rehabilitation and he 's right, just look at this thread, it shouldn 't be in this section of the board in the first place but we ve come to such a level of confusion between what we call "perfume" and scented gimmicks of all kinds.

Perfume is not just a scented fragrance. in the arab world and Islam perfume has a higher purpose, it elevates the mind and spirit, men wear perfume for themselves and never for seduction. for them perfume is not a "smell-good" thing at all.

as much as I enjoy Un Jardin sur le Nil created by JC Ellena, this is the vision of a frenchman and his impressions of his own Egypt but if you go there and visit all those amazing artisanal perfume boutiques in Cairo, you 'll never find such a citrucy refreshing fragrance anywhere! what you will find is myhrr, musk, amber etc.
    Serge Lutens stays true to the original spirit of Perfume in the arabic tradition. His purist concept probably sounds extreme for europeans and americans but it gives us a chance to understand our cultural perceptions and see what is good and what is wrong with it.

I do know people who have scented candles and room sprays everywhere in the house, kitchens smell like artificial apple, bathrooms neauseating ocean breeze, bedrooms synthetic vanilla etc. this is truly ludicrous!
    on the other hand I do respect some body lotions and bath products, I used to use some of them but you really have to believe me that since I ve been using unscented "everything" lol yes I do enjoy an open window much more, I do enjoy the smell of spices in the kitchen when I cook italian, I do enjoy unscented body lotions and deodorants so much knowing they won 't alter my precious perfume on the skin later on.
    Last edited by pierre obsidienne; 10th May 2007 at 09:07 PM.

on the other hand I do respect some body lotions and bath products, I used to use some of them but you really have to believe me that since I ve been using unscented "everything" lol yes I do enjoy an open window much more, I do enjoy the smell of spices in the kitchen when I cook italian, I do enjoy unscented body lotions and deodorants so much knowing they won 't alter my precious perfume on the skin later on.
    Two things...

First, when you say "I do respect some body lotions and bath products, I used to use some of them but," you are implying a lack of respect for what some people, even here, choose to enjoy, such as scented candles which you mentioned just before.

You may notice in some conversations here that not all of us can always enjoy perfume applied on the skin directly. But if I can't apply to my skin, scenting my linens or a scarf or my environment are wonderful alternatives, which allow me to enjoy, for example, some of Lutens' lovely perfumes.

While you are clearly passionate about what you understand Lutens' vision to be, I think you alienate people by being very single minded about it, to the point of conveying a lack of respect for our abilities to make our own decisions. You also limit yourself by making assumptions about what kind of scents and in what contexts we are discussing.

As far as deodorizing products go, I think baking soda is amazing for keeping stray smells from accumulating in my fridge or freezer. Deodorizing refers to neutralizing (extraneous) smells, and should therefore go very well with your Lutens-centric aesthetic. And the chemists who work on fragrances for Shiseido make use of many synthetic ingredients, to be clear.

And my second point:
    "I do enjoy unscented body lotions and deodorants so much knowing they won 't alter my precious perfume on the skin later on" you say.

Lutens himself is a proponent of layering his fragrances, 2 or 3 at a time, and there is a thread where someone collected some specific layering suggestions he has named at various times.

And you have no idea how amazing Santal Blanc becomes if I apply my Samsara Creme Rituelle after bathing, and then spritz on my precious perfume once it is absorbed, looking forward all along to how my creme will alter the scent of my precious perfume.

Quote Originally Posted by kasae View Post
    Two things...

First, when you say "I do respect some body lotions and bath products, I used to use some of them but," you are implying a lack of respect for what some people, even here, choose to enjoy, such as scented candles which you mentioned just before.

I do respect = a lack of respect? uh! WOW LOL

you assume a lot of things, I never do that and would never dare tell and quote anyone like you just did how I personnally interpret and feel about their opinions I don 't share. I have more class than that.
    I thought we were having a discussion and a debate here which means divergeance of opinions and argumentation which I love to do, sorry you take things at the personal level.
    I wonder if people understand the concept of debate sometimes, I m not here for consensual ideas and political correctness.
    --------------------------------------
    Two things...

Lutens himself is a proponent of layering his fragrances, 2 or 3 at a time, and there is a thread where someone collected some specific layering suggestions he has named at various times.
    NOT TRUE! absolutely untrue!
    this was reported by a person who went to a Barneys outlet in Dallas Texas and was introduced to the Lutens line for the time ever!
    I ve been a client of les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido in Paris since 1996 (long before what am I saying years before anyone here ever heard of it), I ve been buying my export Lutens at Barneys New York and Aedes since 2000, I ve spent thousands and thousands of dollars in Lutens perfumes and NEVER been told such a thing, not once and I seriously doubt I ever will!
    I own and read over 60 articles of Serge Lutens mostly in french, I never ever read anything like he suggested the layering fragrances. I think I do know more than the average person that Lutens would never support the layering thing.
    BY the way it reminds me of this person who posted something about the Rousse ad that he thought was a fake, I called les Salons in Paris and they confirmed it was authentic, I never heard from him again LOL
    I ll be in Paris this summer, I ll make sure I ask them about that, I already know I ll probably see the SAs roll up their eyes before I finish my sentence LOL

I will post his famous article called 'deodorizing and odorizing' (which are opposite concepts of course), you ll see this goes very much against his philosophy. I ll post in french, hope someone will translate it for us, I m bad at translating.
    Two things...

And you have no idea how amazing Santal Blanc becomes if I apply my Samsara Creme Rituelle after bathing, and then spritz on my precious perfume once it is absorbed, looking forward all along to how my creme will alter the scent of my precious perfume.
    hey if that 's your thing and makes you happy, go for it!
    personaly I d rather enjoy the authenticity of a creation, I don 't need an expensive scented body cream to make it mine, any Lutens perfume on the skin becomes unique.
    Last edited by pierre obsidienne; 10th May 2007 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I hope this will answer some of your questions Luyuan.

Basically, anything that goes onto your skin or body before applying your "perfume" can (to varying degrees) decrease your sensory reponse to that perfume. Scented Hair products, scented deo, shower gel or soap, body lotions, scented laundry powder & fabric softener where the smell is still retained in your clothes, etc. that are in a different scent to your "perfume". By using unscented products you can increase your olfactory senses so you become more fine tuned to aromas.

Your body also absorbs a certain degree of everthing you breathe in or apply to your body including polluted air it's not just scented by products, it takes 5 days minimum for your body to expel toxins from your body, this includes anything you have had an allergic reaction to also. If your body has been damaged due to continual allergens entering it, it will take extra time of your body to self heal.

As to major over saturation of the olfactory system, really strong smells could do more damage then the diluted strengths of by products. One of my relatives works as I plasterer & after two years of work with raw materials he lost a lot of his sense of smell, can't detect fragrance at all. Extreme use of really strong perfume could effect your olfactory system far more than the lighter varieties of perfume related products, but if this is a problem, go a week or two totally scent free this will help detox & restore your olfactory senses & nerves & increase your awareness of scents & aromas. I do a fragrance free week every two to three months because I don't want to get severe allergies again & want to continue being able to enjoy fragrance. Most Basenoters will probably never have to do this, I'm just ultra sensitive.

Bottom line unscented products will help you to experience the true scent of your perfume & it would take quite a lot of extreme excessive use of scented products to cause over saturation in a person who doesn't suffer from a lot of allergies. This is just my opinion!

Pierre, healthy debate doesn't include knocking people down for their views, it's stating your side of the arguement while still repecting your opponent in the debate. Saying this thread never should of been posted here isn't nice or repectful of other people. My opinion, this is a Female Discussion, scented baths are a form of scenting "perfuming" your body, this isn't a "Home" related discussion.

Isn't it against the rules to post in french, I thought we had to post in english?

As to major over saturation of the olfactory system, really strong smells could do more damage then the diluted strengths of by products. One of my relatives works as I plasterer & after two years of work with raw materials he lost a lot of his sense of smell, can't detect fragrance at all. Extreme use of really strong perfume could effect your olfactory system far more than the lighter varieties of perfume related products, but if this is a problem, go a week or two totally scent free this will help detox & restore your olfactory senses & nerves & increase your awareness of scents & aromas. I do a fragrance free week every two to three months because I don't want to get severe allergies again & want to continue being able to enjoy fragrance. Most Basenoters will probably never have to do this, I'm just ultra sensitive.
    since I m the one who brought up the saturation issue in the first place, I had no idea saturation this could lead to this extreme but I m not surprised. as far as I m concerned I was more talking about intellectual saturation you know when you don 't even know anymore what is what, what candle is burning what room spray for wich room what scented body lotion for which perfume after that, just talking about that makes me dizzy lol

I don 't have fragrance-free weeks but again since I ve been inspired by the Lutens concept of traditional arabic culture that gave me new perspectives. now I consider the act of wearing perfume a serious thing, I don 't want this act to be the simple iddle routine anymore, the after shower thing. I realise I used to wear perfume just like I was using a deodorant, it wasnt a special act at all. I changed that and just being aware of this is so rewarding intellectually. I don 't always wear perfume just because I m going to work or because I m going somewhere, I only wear perfume for myself and only when I have the urge and craving for it. sometimes I wear perfume just at night an hour before going to bed when I had nothing on all day. this purist approach is so rewarding and I m so glad I can appreciate perfume like oenologists appreciate great wines or poeple into cigars taking the time and isolating themselves to smoke a Cohiba!
    I hope this will answer some of your questions Luyuan.

Pierre, healthy debate doesn't include knocking people down for their views, it's stating your side of the arguement while still repecting your opponent in the debate. Saying this thread never should of been posted here isn't nice or repectful of other people. My opinion, this is a Female Discussion, scented baths are a form of scenting "perfuming" your body, this isn't a "Home" related discussion.
    healthy debate? there 's no such a thing as "healthy" when it comes to debate unless you consider politically correctness and consensus the rule and that the act of challenging ideas and opinions is rude.
    Is this a place for discussions and arguments or not? If so I have the right to disagree and express my opinion just like you do.
    eventually I am sorry but a bath lovers thread is more appropriate to home fragrances section than perfume section. Here 's the title of the Home Fragrance section: A new board to discuss candles, room sprays, pot pourri and all aspects of home fragrances - that 's right ALL ASPECTS of home fragrances! I posted over 10 long comprehensive posts here to explain that bath oils gels and salts are not perfume!!
    I ll end by quoting you: "Saying this isn't nice or repectful of other people"
    Isn't it against the rules to post in french, I thought we had to post in english?
    if french language is really against the rule (what a strange and odd thing since in parfumerie (opps french! LOL) we use french words and every single expressions and terms are in french like extrait de parfum or eau de toilette LOL) - and what about names? should we say The Kiss of the Dragon from now on? UH! LOL!
    anyways if that 's so much against the rule and that french language gives you allergies well then I won 't post this article that I own from a private leaflet offered back in 2000 for the export line in Paris at le Bon Marche, an article by Serge Lutens of major and extreme importance that I m sure a lot of people would love to read. I had no idea this too would be controversial LOL don 't you want to open up your horizons after all??
    Last edited by pierre obsidienne; 11th May 2007 at 01:32 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Mr. Lutens doesnt care about scented by-products because he has his own line of $100 lipsticks, eye liners, etc {cosmetics}, which does more business than his magic carpet potions.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Mr. Lutens doesnt care about scented by-products because he has his own line of $100 lipsticks, eye liners, etc {cosmetics}, which does more business than his magic carpet potions.
    typical ZZ answer of course

Serge Lutens is an elite perfumer and makeup artist, a visionnaire, an artistic director and a public intellectual before being just a businessman and you know that.
    did you know that students in arts from all over the world would kill to do an internship program with Serge Lutens at Shiseido? this was told us by a student in the non official Lutens site autourdesergelutens.net and I really believe it.
    Last edited by pierre obsidienne; 11th May 2007 at 01:36 AM.

I'd be happiest if:

This thread could stay on topic. To that end: I like Acqua di Parma bath salts in my fantasy baths, and a mud mask on my face too. A friend of mine says a hot bath, a face mask, and a cigar are paradise together, but I haven't gotten to the cigar in the bath part yet.

Now that we've seen one perfumer's views represented on this thread, we can all go back and re-read those posts for clarification and evaluate the perfumer's visions and how or if we want to incorporate them into our practice. We've got the perfumer's visions on this thread. Very nice and complete.

Basenotes is a discussion, and a conversation between members. There can be healty debate in conversation and discussion, but debate itself and for itself isn't what Basenotes is for. Personal disputes and discussions of them are for PMs between members. Basenotes discussion does depend on mutual regard for fellow members's opinions.

Staying on topic is also fun because it means one chooses to ignore things, and one can have the topical discussion despite errant tangents. That's fun!
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

wow this thread created a lot of emotion i agree Aqua de Parma salts are divine a wonderful feeling and scent enough said

IMO, I don't see this thread as an off topic to this part of the forum. For instance, today I bought Le Male's shower gel so I could enjoy it during my bath.

I also bought Yohji Homme and Green Irish Tweed shower gels to make my bath and my body a lot more aromatic.

I bought a few vintage bath oils lately: Tuvara, Robe du Soir, and YD.

I'm wondering what exists in a pretty bath oil today. These were wonderful ways to enjoy fragrance in the water without drying my skin. Any suggestions?

Also one terrifically bad experience was Aqualina's Chocolovers bubble bath. This was really strong detergent!

Quote Originally Posted by Zibeline View Post
    Yesterday I went to BBW and I ended up getting Japanese Cherry Blossom instead. I did get a chance to smell Night Blooming Jasmine, but I didn't like the aroma very much. Thank you any way for your suggestion.

i love enjoying scent in my bath or shower experience it is all for me and it frees the fragrance i truly enjoy scent in the bathing ritual

EO's Lavender Bubble Bath w/o any Sodium Laurel/Laureth sulfates + maybe some Australian Eucalyptus oil or Peppermint oil. (Not too much-- they can burn. My recommendation is to chase them with Apricot Kernel oil first.)
    And he whose soul is flat -- the sky
    Will cave in on him by and by.

—from "Renascence" by Edna St. Vincent Millay

Blog Entries

http://www.bathjunkie.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?action=home
    You really should try this place if there is one near you.The detox/moisturizing crystals are great and the scents I've tried are quite good. It's hard to make up your mind which to try.

I love baths although I'm not in them for longer then 40 minutes really, it just get's too warm for me and I get bored when the water reaches so high I can't read.

For the purist here, in Iceland the water smells like rotting eggs. So bring on the nice scents for me. There is a Lush shop close by and I'm wondering if the price is worth it. Any nice products you could recommend perferably something that lasts long? My skin is very dry and sensitive and my hair could use shampoo that gives it strenght and volumne.

sake bath by fresh. do it before bed, and don't plan on doing anything other than sleeping.

fun topic
    I think now that SL exprimed his inconvenience with L'eau