Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default To all you bath lovers

favorite thing to put in bath mine- JM orange blossom or dermalogica bath wash suggestions?

Default Re: To all you bath lovers

JM amber and lavender..... perfect way to wind down....

I am on Aedes mailing list and they just sent out a blurb about Abahna Frankincense and Sweet Orange Bath oil - sounds good, may have to try some
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

ylang-ylang and sandalwood essential oils, baking soda, epsom salt and almond oil.
    From the moment I was six I felt sexy. And let me tell you it was hell, sheer hell, waiting to do something about it.
    Bette Davis

Sigh. Don't mess with baths much any more. Getting out of the tub is a - challenge. Sigh.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

1/2 cup of powdered milk and lavender or jasmine oil.
    "Woe to the one who's love of elixirs, grows into madness"
    :bounce:

The Chanel No 5 bath oil is great - I actually like it better than the perfume. When I'm in America, I usually stock up on Aveeno sachets for the winter. At the moment I'm enjoying Lush's Green Day bubble bath, and I like all their violet or jasmine-scented products - I also use their Tramp shower gel in the bath.

Blog Entries

EL Youth Dew is quite nice. I also like Bath Junkie Bath Salts the one with the extra mosturizers. One of my favorites is 'Liquid Valium'. You have to buy it in person though.

I don't mess with baths much either. Partly because my boiler is cranky and only lets me have luke warm water most of time - not ideal for lounging. I enjoy the Lush bath bombs though, and I had a lovely bluebell bath oil which I bought from a book shop of all places - still got some and it's heavenly.

I don't think they make it any more, but my fave used to be Lush Uluru bath bomb. The smell was stunning.
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Ren's Morrocan Rose Otto bath oil - nothing else comes close!

Kneipp oils are also brilliant.

I use bathsalt with a nice scent, for the moment it is olive. And directly after the bath I use a perfumed bodylotion.
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, L´Heure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.

Ooh I liked that one! Don't you find, though, that you can smell a Lush shop a good 20 feet away?

Ooh I liked that one! Don't you find, though, that you can smell a Lush shop a good 20 feet away?

I also like the Chanel no 5 bath oil, followed by the dry oil body spray. Or, a completely unscented bath, followed by the Neutrogena sesame body oil. Or Kingdom shower gel in the bath, followed by the body lotion.

ok sorry to hear some of you girls having trouble with the bath idea etc but wow interesting suggestion on that Chanel 5 oil never thought to try that will do--also have to try some lavander you are all suggesting it thanks yall

NOTHING

I agree with Serge Lutens, bathrooms restrooms should smell like water not like lavender or else. candles, scented cosmetic products and deodorizing gimmicks kill Perfume.
    'luxury is an esthetic wrath' Serge Lutens

[quote=pierre obsidienne;1023221]NOTHING

I agree with Serge Lutens, bathrooms restrooms should smell like water not like lavender or else. candles, scented cosmetic products and deodorizing gimmicks kill Perfume.[/quote

I don't agree with Serge Lutens on this one. I think bathrooms and people should reflect the individual and THEIR taste! Although I do love a couple of Lutens scents, I certainly wouldn't let the man dictate what I can have in my bathroom! Each to their own.

Last truly inspired bath involved a whole bottle of vintage Tuvara bath oil. This was great. Too bad most everything bath/shower is tied up with gels these days
    Currently wearing: Bluebell by Penhaligon's

[QUOTE=spicegirl;1023438]
    Quote Originally Posted by pierre obsidienne View Post
    NOTHING

I agree with Serge Lutens, bathrooms restrooms should smell like water not like lavender or else. candles, scented cosmetic products and deodorizing gimmicks kill Perfume.[/quote

I don't agree with Serge Lutens on this one. I think bathrooms and people should reflect the individual and THEIR taste! Although I do love a couple of Lutens scents, I certainly wouldn't let the man dictate what I can have in my bathroom! Each to their own.

Serge Lutens wrote a few articles on perfume and scented by-products. he 's denouncing the multi-billion dollar industry dictating the anti-perfume pro-deodorizing-freshning scented-by products direction and trend. in 20 years from now he 's convinced people won 't be able to make a difference between a deodorizing scented product and a "perfume". by then consumers will be brainwashed to think Perfume = high end freshner.
    It started with Edmond Roudnitska Eau Fraiche, Eau Sauvage, Diorella and Diorissimo fragrances which is a concept of parfumerie he hates that was already announcing a definite "deodorizing" confusing trend killing Perfume.
    wether it was perfumes created by arabs 2000 years ago or a classic Guerlain, perfume was always a scent of character that you 'd wear like a diamond broche, a scent transporting you to exotic places and a scent revealing the real you but not a scent selling you illusions of being sexy when you re not and a scent making you smell like you just come out of the shower.
    It 's very important, we need elites like Serge Lutens to keep us out of the darkness and state of confusion the "perfume" industry keeps us in.
    Last edited by pierre obsidienne; 9th May 2007 at 12:09 AM.

Basenotes Institution

OK, by now we all see His Majesty Serge's viewpoint that you seem to adamantly support.

Thank you very much for doing the fine job of educating the confused masses kept in the dark.

**** Sorry, I am red in the face here: kept pushing that "<--" button three times before I am finally posting this. Need to go take me a bath. With water, I guess.

interesting- nice reminder with the neutrogena sesame oil-wow haven't tried that in years

Did somebody just turn off the lights? Blimey it's dark in here!
    Oops sorry, must have been caused by the pure organic jasmine oil I just put in my bath. Yikes.... I'll never do that again!
    King Lutens might be watching........
    Last edited by spicegirl; 9th May 2007 at 02:33 PM.

Pity, I think some Miel de Bois bath oil would be very nice!
    Last edited by Indiscreet; 9th May 2007 at 02:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by spicegirl View Post
    Did somebody just turn off the lights? Blimey it's dark in here!
    Oops sorry, must have been caused by the pure organic jasmine oil I just put in my bath. Yikes.... I'll never do that again!
    King Lutens might be watching........
    I love it when someone says an open window is a better choice than marketed scented candles. Serge Lutens concept rehabilitates perfume.
    I understand a lot of people are allergic to "elites" (such a bad word LOL wow!) and public intellectuals, hey what can I tell you? that s they way things are but personnally in the media I 'd rather see real public intellectuals over Dr Phil [Material deleted by moderator (Chris) because it was political commentary and thus banned under Basenotes rules:]
    2.8 You are requested to avoid 'hot topics'

The Basenotes Community is not a suitable platform for the discussion of politics, religion and other hot topics. Posts, signatures and any other material you make public to the site containing these or any other hot topics may be locked, edited or removed.
    Last edited by Moderator; 11th May 2007 at 02:36 AM. Reason: Political comment removed, rule quoted. --Chris

Blog Entries

My favorite used to be 'Rive Gauche' bath oil. It scented the whole house, not just me. I don't know what could be wrong with enjoying a scent so thoroughly as that. I wonder if the poor quality of scent in deodorant and glade-type room sprays is what Lutens objects to, as do I. But to enjoy a lavender scent as a relaxing addition to a hot bath? What is the harm in that? Youth Dew was originally developed first as a bath oil and later made available as a perfume. The layering effect is beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    I wonder if the poor quality of scent in deodorant and glade-type room sprays is what Lutens objects to, as do I. But to enjoy a lavender scent as a relaxing addition to a hot bath? What is the harm in that?

no he doesn 't refer to quality. he talks about the deodorizing trend vs perfume. these are not only different but absolutely opposite in concept, unfortunately the perfume industry is making so much money over scented products, they re everywhere now and killing the original concept of perfume.
    more than ever fragrances smell unobstrusive neutral and soon they will just be deodorizing scents on the market.

there 's no harm in enjoying a scented oil bath, I used to do it too but when you think about it he 's right, everything now is scented, we don 't know what it is to smell things for what they are, we mask and neutralize everything.
    the original perfume concept has nothing to do with the sterilization trend, on the contrary perfume opens up horizons and transports us to unchartted territories.

Look at Annick Goutal 's line and what 's it become! when she was still alive until the late 90's although she had candles her line was about her fragrances and that 's it. when she died in 2000 as soon as she was bought by Taitainger which in turn was bought by an american company they over-developped scented products releasing new stuff more than ever. She 's not my favorite perfumer but she was authentic as a creator and I respect that, now her line might as well be found at Bed Bath and Beyond! how sad!
    Last edited by pierre obsidienne; 9th May 2007 at 09:26 PM.

Well I do not like things like Impulse or Lynx body sprays, if that's what he's talking about. But I can tell the difference between Impulse and, say, Ambre Sultan.

I know lol, but again this is not what he 's talking about at all. He refused to developp body products and other scented products for his line, he only wants perfume and just perfume. in 2002 he stopped the production of his alcohol-free version fragrances because he was afraid this would be against his concept of parfumerie.
    over his dead body before you find Serge Lutens deodorants, body lotions and shower gels! LOL
    Last edited by pierre obsidienne; 9th May 2007 at 09:58 PM.

wow Rive Gauche what an oldie but goodie brings back memories