Code of Conduct

Default A Sorcer's Aphrodisiac...

There's an old recipe for an aphrodisiac I've recently run across concocted by a famous sorcerer with these three key ingredients: musk, civet, & ambergris. Does such a fragrance exist out there with these three ingredients. If so, how does it smell?

Default Re: A Sorcer's Aphrodisiac...

A directory search yields Andron for Men, which also contained pheromones (I guess they had that sorcerer's formula, too) and Michael Storer's "Monk" (making that moniker a tad anticlerical, huh? )
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

There are many with musk and civet but few with all three. Amber and ambergris are completely different things. Real ambergris is extremely hard to find and rarely used. Many perfumers say they've never even smelled it in its raw state.

Bal á Versailles and Magie Noire supposedly contain all three ingedients.

Interesting...I just now also read that ambergris in it's true form is rare and unjustifiably expensive. The solution was to usemusk ambrette, civet, and galbanum, along with mineral oil. Thanks for the responses. =]

This article might hold the answer (from 1937!):

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...7825-1,00.html
    -

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    This article might hold the answer (from 1937!):

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...7825-1,00.html
    "The highly odorous oil for the anointing of George VI was prepared by the court druggists, Squire & Sons, Ltd., last week from a 17th Century formula. Ingredients: oil of orange flower, oil of roses, oil of cinnamon, musk, civet, ambergris, oil of jasmine, oil of sesame, flowers of benzoin."

Very interesting. Apart from the recipe, that whole article is a delightfully strange romp into the past
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

A report from the 1930's claimed that some Hawaiian cowboys noticed some masses of what they took to be sponge in the ocean and thought to use them to wipe down their ponies. Discovering that the material was not sponge, they took a sample to a local merchant , who identified it as ambergris. They hurried back to the spot where they had found it and managed to salvage enough to make them all financially independent for life.

Like musk, ambergris in its solid state will retain its odor for centuries. The odor isn't easy to define. To some it's earthy or musty, to others a curious mixture of seaweed and roses. Many people find it disagreeable, even offensive, but minute quantities dissolved in alcohol are said to give perfume a velvety quality that clings to woven fabrics after they've been repeatedly washed and dried, becoming ever-sweeter over time.

Man this thread has been fun! Many thanks for the Time article - like you said - a "romp"!! :bounce:
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

It is called ruthvah. King Solomon supposedly used it, as did Aleister Crowley. I have no idea how it smells, or whether it works. They claim to sell it at The Sorcerer's Apprentice (look it up online)