Code of Conduct

Default Question about bottles without caps?

If you have a bottle without a cap, such as Bois D'argent when you have the sprayer attached or a Miller Harris fragrance, is the absence of a cap actually going to make a difference in the life expectancy of the juice? Will any more air actually be able to get into the bottle?

Default Re: Question about bottles without caps?

I don't think so. The bottle is sealed so the juice inside is replaced by air, but the cap doesn't prevent air from getting in. I think a cap is for practicle reasons. It looks better and prevents missprays.

It must have some effect though since when you take the cap off you can smell the fragrance which suggest some is evaporating probably out of the straw,
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sa Majesté La Rose

Currently wearing: Yatagan by Caron

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR View Post
    It must have some effect though since when you take the cap off you can smell the fragrance which suggest some is evaporating probably out of the straw,
    I don't know if that's necessarily the case. I'm sure some of the juice gathers at the sprayer when you spray. This is probably what you're smelling when you take the cap off. I can smell the scent of my frags that don't come w/ caps like Bvlgari Black for awhile when I sniff at the sprayer even if it's been days after I've last worn it.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

The cap will not make a meaningful difference to longevity of the fragrance. Its utilitarian function is to protect the spray mechanism from accidental discharge and also from damage. Most fragrance caps also have a decorative aspect to them. The only time a cape will meaningfully enhance longevity is with a splash or roll-on application.
    In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane - Oscar Wilde

Ah, that does make good sense. I find that bottles without caps like Pi don't hold much smell at all at the nozzle. But I guess that'd be because the liquid that collects right there evaporates, vs anything in the straw.

Quote Originally Posted by CologneJunkie View Post
    I don't know if that's necessarily the case. I'm sure some of the juice gathers at the sprayer when you spray. This is probably what you're smelling when you take the cap off. I can smell the scent of my frags that don't come w/ caps like Bvlgari Black for awhile when I sniff at the sprayer even if it's been days after I've last worn it.
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sa Majesté La Rose

Currently wearing: Yatagan by Caron

Quote Originally Posted by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR View Post
    Ah, that does make good sense. I find that bottles without caps like Pi don't hold much smell at all at the nozzle. But I guess that'd be because the liquid that collects right there evaporates, vs anything in the straw.
    Yep.
    When I browse in a store I dont really have the time / energy to spray tester strips with anything so I just take the caps off the capped bottle and sniff them. Totally ignore bottles without a cap.