Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question What's the best aquatic fragrance?

What are your picks on the best aquatic(s)?

EDIT: Mine goes to L'Eau D'Issey PH.
    Last edited by Shiver; 18th January 2007 at 06:26 PM.

Default Re: What's the best aquatic fragrance?

Bvlgari Aqva PH is a decent aqua. Not too expensive, smell's a bit like the sea from a distance. Has that driving and we're approaching salt water thing going for it. A bit on the sweet side.

Creed's Erolfa - by far
    Bvlgari's Aquva is not bad
    Kenzo Pour Homme is the most accurate depiction of the sea, but totally unwearable - a mixture of salt, seaweed, wet sand, etc. In large quantities it can be nausea inducing. Powerful synthetics gone mad.

Talking Re: What's the best aquatic fragrance?

for my money

SMW
    CKone
    iceberg twice
    *cowers in a corner* Acqua di gio

Best Strict Aquatic
    Creed Erolfa
    Creative Universe Mare - Runner Up

Best Aquatic Interpretation
    Creed Millesime Imperial
    Bvlgari Aqva - Runner Up
    Bond No. 9 New Haarlem \ Christian Dior Dior Homme \ Creed Himalaya \ Creed Millesime Imperial \ Hermes Terre d'Hermes \ L'Artisan Dzing!

L'Artisan Navegar is the most natural-smelling, Creative Universe Mare is the most ideal, and Creed Erolfa is the most wearable.

I second Kenzo Pour Homme

212 Men - Carolina Herrera (though some may disagree)

I like amouage arcus. It has interesting development and a fabulous and unexpected ambergris laced drydown. The heart accord with the aquatic note and the heavy, sultry but not sweet geranium is excellent too. On good nose days I get the exquisite frankinsence which is very subtle, but there. A much underrated frag in my opinion, it is easy to dismiss on account of the top note watermelon thing.

I find it needs a very light application (one or two sprays) or all the subtlety is lost.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Erolfa is the one.

Erolfa's great, as is Arcus. Herrera's Aqua is better than I had expected it to be; however, it's not really an aquatic (IMHO). I'd go with Erolfa and/or Arcus (but bear in mind the price tag on the Arcus and then balance it out accordingly). Forget Cool Water and all its variants -- nasty chemical messes, that lot.
    MY UPDATED SWAP LIST:
    http://community.basenotes.net/showt...ated+swap+list
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 18th January 2007 at 07:36 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

AKKA DI JIO!! :brolly:

ooops

I mean Aqua Motu layered with Erolfa
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

I really like Kenzo, didn't like Bvlgari so much

Erolfa is the top shelf choice
    Society Yachting (by Society) is a very cheap, but nice alternative

Anchors away...

Expecting Erolfa tomorrow...sampled it several times and it fills a void in my wardrobe. I do have a marine scent (conceptually it is supposed to be): it is Maestrale - Profumi di Pantelleria and it rocks. Starts similar to Bursch - Aqua di Bella must much more masculine and longevity is really good. (8 hrs).
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 18th January 2007 at 09:20 PM.

Bulgari Aqva, Salvatore Ferragamo Subtil PH, Versace Men Eau Fraiche (I sampled this today in the Baie in Montreal, where I am on vacation this week taking snow nature pictures).

Kenzo PH
    Givenchy Blue Label

I am tired of all the aquatics (including Erolfa). I may be more enthusiastic about this question come summer.

Maybe its the cold weather ...
    -

Creed Erolfa is without doubt the best aquatic fragrance I've come across in my sniffings. I see from reading this thread that many others agree.

I don't own a bottle but am tempted to get one for next summer.
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermès | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

Givenchy Blue Label
    Aqua Di Roma Uomo
    I'm a fresh scent junkie and proud of it!

I'll go with MONTALE's Sandflowers or CSP's Aqua Motu.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I'm not too crazy about aquatics, but I like Montale Fougères Marine, and I agree that Herrera Aqua is nicer than most, probably specifically because it's not really a marine fragrance...
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Quote Originally Posted by JP1
    for my money

SMW
    CKone
    iceberg twice
    *cowers in a corner* Acqua di gio
    Please make a little room for me in the corner. Let’s face it, Acqua Di Gio did not become so mainstream because it smells bad even though the scent has no effect on me anymore. I love aquatics mainly because I like the beach, either way, there is nothing wrong with liking this type of cologne. With that being said, dare I say…*gasp*…Cool Water (have smelled GIT yet for the Creed fanatics). I also would like to include one of a regular of mine which is Chrome mainly because it reminds me a little like CK1 and Cool Water while being distinctive.

Rain Aquatic: Amouage Arcus
    Ocean Aquatic: Creed Erolfa
    Wood Aquatic: Molinard Homme III
    Soapy Aquatic: Il Profumo Thundra
    TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Thumbs up Re: What's the best aquatic fragrance?

Quote Originally Posted by thenmarcher
    Rain Aquatic: Amouage Arcus
    Ocean Aquatic: Creed Erolfa
    Wood Aquatic: Molinard Homme III
    Soapy Aquatic: Il Profumo Thundra
    TNMA
    Nice breakdown!

(disclaimer: I haven't smelled Erolfa yet. It sounds nice, though)

IMO:

B#9 Wall Street
    L'Eau D'Issey (if it truly is an aquatic)
    Millisime Imperial

-ben
    Nihil Obstat Ben

[url=http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1883]My Wardrobe[/url]

Received my samples of Arcus in the mail today. I would eat this up if it didn't eat my wallet. Thenmarcher is spot on with his assessment, Arcus has a very rain-like quality to it. At first it smelled similar to the Chinese medicine my mom uses...but thankfully that passes rather quickly. You're left with a marvelous scent that's, well, read the description:

"The dramatic leading edge of a severe thunderstorm, full of jet-black clouds, thunder and lightning, one of nature's most awe-inspiring phenomena, full of overwhelming power, speed and passion. Like the over- powering forces of nature, Arcus Amouage, is a truly compelling fragrance that heralds cleansing, freshness, revitalisation and vibrant renewal of life itself."

The sad thing is that I believe every word of it. Take a look at the picture for Arcus on the Amouage site. That's the face of a man who just discovered Arcus, and then won a lifetime supply.

Quote Originally Posted by makor
    Received my samples of Arcus in the mail today. I would eat this up if it didn't eat my wallet. Thenmarcher is spot on with his assessment, Arcus has a very rain-like quality to it. At first it smelled similar to the Chinese medicine my mom uses...but thankfully that passes rather quickly. You're left with a marvelous scent that's, well, read the description:

"The dramatic leading edge of a severe thunderstorm, full of jet-black clouds, thunder and lightning, one of nature's most awe-inspiring phenomena, full of overwhelming power, speed and passion. Like the over- powering forces of nature, Arcus Amouage, is a truly compelling fragrance that heralds cleansing, freshness, revitalisation and vibrant renewal of life itself."

The sad thing is that I believe every word of it. Take a look at the picture for Arcus on the Amouage site. That's the face of a man who just discovered Arcus, and then won a lifetime supply.
    I agree; its one of the few colognes that actually match the description in its advertisement. I happened to buy this from VJ (maisonstinky) and though it doesn't last as long as I would like, its a super scent that I wear at work a lot.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Quote Originally Posted by makor
    Take a look at the picture for Arcus on the Amouage site. That's the face of a man who just discovered Arcus, and then won a lifetime supply.
    Love your description of the face of the man

Great choices everyone, I have to say I like Beth Terry's Mare a lot for an acquatic beachy kind of scent.
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

Erolfa gets my vote. If only it would last a bit longer on my skin...masterpiece nevertheless

Wow, Erolfa sounds good!

Bulgari Aqua takes the prize for me, I'll have to get a sample of Erolfa to see if that continues.
    De gustibus non est disputandum

Mine are:

Polo Blue
    Givenchy Blue Label
    Azzaro Chrome

Do not have many aquatics. L'Eau D'Issey PH would be the one I like best, but even though it is listed as an aquatic, I do not get that feeling from it. Bvlgari Aqva is good and has a scent that I can relate to aquatics. Erolfa has a lot of positive reviews here and one I will need to test.

Captain by Molyneaux
    Acua de Bvlgari.

The best in my drobe as far as acquatics go.
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

Just back from Neimans...

Acua de Bvlgari
    L'Eau D'Issey

I really wanted to like Erolfa, but it underwhelmed me.

Clean Men by Dlish!

Mare by Creative Universe - the most accurate, substantial, satisfying. loaded with sea salt

Last edited by pluran; 1st May 2007 at 08:34 PM. Reason: l

Have to throw in these too...

Versace Metal Jeans
    Halston Unbound
    Eau Des Merveilles

Montale Fougeres Marine...

Quote Originally Posted by Words
    Have to throw in these too...

Versace Metal Jeans
    Halston Unbound
    Eau Des Merveilles
    The Versace smells great, but the lasting power on my skin was poor.

Unbound is great!

EdM is very nice, but I have yet to give it a full wearing.

the secret weapon....

Estee Lauder Beyond Paradise
    "You smell kinda pretty! Wanna Smell me ?"
    - Johnny Bravo

Wardrobe

I quess I'll be the odd one here. Mine is Gio Pour Homme...Aqva...Issey...they are nice but Gio works better for me. As far as Erolfa is concerned....my skin drinks this stuff.....30 minutes and it's gone....that's really costly for this scent which I will never purchase again. I spray Neroli Savauge along with Erolfa to get some lasting Power.....Neroli is very weak also....will never do these 2 again. I'm not one to disagree....but as I read all the posts I was shocked not to find Gio.....I know....it's way too main stream for most here and not respected....I may have missed one or two entries but was shocked not to find this on more lists. Oh well....that's what makes the world go around.....variety is the spice of life....As far as Aquatics.....Give me my Gio!!!!!
    Gary

Acqua di Gio for me also. I have tried many Aquatics, but none could match this. And with all these drugstore fragrances being aquatics too, I don't really see myself forking out big money for a scent of this genre anymore.

For a darker scandinavian sea or rainy day feeling it's Nautica Latitude Longitude. It lacks the calone though (which is actually good), so maybe not _that_ aquatic.

Quote Originally Posted by yonggoh
    the secret weapon....

Estee Lauder Beyond Paradise
    If by that you mean Lauder's Beyond Paradise Men, the you got my vote there! I keep forgetting this one.
    De gustibus non est disputandum

I ordered a 4 OZ tester of Erolfa from Creedirect. BTW, her communication has been very good this time. She responded quickly to my question about combined shipping and she emailed me today to let me know she has shipped my Erolfa and New Tabarome. Should have them by the end of the week.

I have a hand soap that smells like Erolfa and that spurred my interest. Very clean, fresh and I think it will be a great work scent. Can't see Erolfa as a casual weekend scent at all. Same goes for New Tabarome.

Quote Originally Posted by ifconfig
    If by that you mean Lauder's Beyond Paradise Men, the you got my vote there! I keep forgetting this one.
    yeap i recently got this one...
    I'm no proclaimed expert... but I got that feeling when I smelled this one... Outstanding fragrance...Smells like a green ocean in the winter with 50 foot waves crashing against the cliffs... On the horizon a dark cloud beckons and strong winds carries the mist of the eventual storm...none of that blonde bleach bikini surfers paradise crap...

hmmm... damn whisky talking again...
    "You smell kinda pretty! Wanna Smell me ?"
    - Johnny Bravo

Wardrobe

Wink Re: What's the best aquatic fragrance?

1. Creed Millésime Imperial
    2. Montale Sandflowers
    3. Comptoir Sud Pacifique Aqua Motu
    4. IL Profumo Aria di Mare
    5. Creed Erolfa
    6. Bvlgari Aqua
    7. Issey Miyake

I've totally missed this thread! Kind of funny, since I've been thinking about putting together a sniffathon week with aquatics simila to what is going on in the female forum (most recently The Ava Lux Experience). Not because this group of fragrances is that exciting at the moment, but because we might be overlooking some great fragrances; to finally wear them again. Can we stand it for one week straight?

I'm not sure I want to do it yet, or if there would be much interest in it. And I seriously doubt I would pull through and wear them for a whole week.

Thumbs up Re: What's the best aquatic fragrance?

Halston Unbound
    Bvlgari Aqva
    Millesime Imperial
    Echo Davidoff
    Escape for Men
    Acqua di Gio
    Polo Blue
    L'eau d'Issey
    Last edited by dav-here; 30th April 2007 at 05:30 PM.
    David and Becca forever!!

Quote Originally Posted by fakepurseninja View Post
    For a darker scandinavian sea or rainy day feeling it's Nautica Latitude Longitude. It lacks the calone though (which is actually good), so maybe not _that_ aquatic.
    Yeah, I don't find Latitude Longitude particularly aquatic, it is pretty woody on me. The stick deodorant has more of an aquatic note though.

My vote goes to Erolfa. Veddy maritime.

I have to break out the Bulgari Aqva to remember how it smells. I recall the wife liked it and it was a bit brinier than the usual aquatic.

Also chalk me up for another one who likes Acqua di Gio ... although I'll wear the cheaper but similar (and longer lasting) Unbound instead.
    Last edited by MisterK; 30th April 2007 at 05:40 PM.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]

Btw. I find Kenzo Homme Fresh one of the very best aquatics of all time. To me it smells more or less like a light version of Creative Universe's Mare, but with some main Kenzo Homme notes. Very wearable and much better than the normal Kenzo Homme.

L'Eau par Kenzo pour Homme is not bad as well IMHO ....
    Last edited by dr.creed; 30th April 2007 at 05:47 PM.
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

Creed Erolfa all the way! I like it even better than Bulgari Aqua!

Cool Re: What's the best aquatic fragrance?

On the beach: Creed Erolfa, hands down---Ok, I know I'm crazy but I still maintain this needs a sea breeze to really have the scent come forth, otherwise . . .

To me Mare is Erolfa with an iodine band aid around it, makes me somewhat naseous; a feeling which others experience with the hedoine note in Gai Mattiolo Uomo --yet, with its balance of light fruit notes and water fucus, GM is a '' Super-Kenzo " in my book, so there !

Getting weirder still, CdG's Vettiveru emits a strong acqua note as well---pity the wole show lasts about 30 min tops. Yes, I have the ' mineralic' 1948 Creed Vetiver and I don't get ' acqua' from it as I do from Vettiveru.

Allright, send for the men in the white coats and the long ovedue straitjacket,

Cheers,

Mario.
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Its been said many times already in this thread but right now the best I've come across is Creed's Erofla (I'm still new here though). It was the first Creed I tried and I'm impressed with the longevity and sillage. I've got a sample of Kenzo PH on the way so we will see if it holds up.
    "Society honors its living conformists and its dead troublemakers."
    Mignon McLaughlin

Blog Entries

I can't believe I missed this thread, too!

I'd go with L'eau D'Issey (citrussy aquatic), Reaction, Silver Mountain Water, & Halston Unbound (can't beat the price!), & CK one (musky aquatic).
    Last edited by CologneJunkie; 1st May 2007 at 12:31 AM.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

I just found out that CK Escape is very strong!

Bulgari Aqua
    AdG
    Issey

Basenotes Plus

L'Eau D'Issey PH, Aqua de Bulgari PH and Silver Mountain Water are my aquatic favourites.

Mare

A couple of thoughts here... I just dont really see SMW as an aquatic. I love it and all, but to me it's a pure and simple berry and tea scent with little to no aquatic feel to it.

Bulgari Aqua is a nice choice for people that dont really like aquatics, but I guess it's considered one. Not one of my favorites... I'll take Givenchy Blue Label over it any day.

Surprised that L'eau Par Kenzo didnt get mentioned more. Classy.

Versace Metal Jeans is really great! Cant express how unhappy I was when it was discontinued.

Acqua Di Roma Uomo is the biggest sleeper in aquatics to date, IMO. I was the only person that mentioned it and that tells me that not many people know about it. It's a very good grapefruit interpretation of an aquatic... Alot of grapefruit!

And finally, there is one aquatic that stands above all the rest and it wasnt even mentioned once... Aramis Surface!
    Last edited by Words; 1st May 2007 at 08:56 AM.

Gio Pour Homme is the best on my skin......Bvlgari and issey are nice but they turn to a heavy floral on me......Aqua Motu is another fave along with Acqua di Parma....I Love this line......Gary