Code of Conduct

Default Need More Davana in My Life

Just yesterday I retried Ormonde Jayne Orris Noir, and although I liked it back last fall, I feel I am in love now. I also read the reviews on the blogs, and I agree that it has neither much orris, nor it is very very black. My next step was examining the notes, and Eureka! here I got it -- it is davana that I like so much about it, sweet, fruity and with an earthy undertone.

My Google search provided all the necesary info that davana (Artemisia pallens) grows in South India near Mysore, and has small pale yellow flowers that (together with the whole plant) are steam-distilled to get the precious oil which is not very popular in India because of its high price. During the months of April-May and then October-November, davana flowers in garlands or bouquets are offered to Shiva and decorate his altar through the day, and they are removed by the end of the day. Davana oil is believed to be soothing anxiety and anger, bringing more balance in our lives and connecting one with their creative energy and intuition.

Basenotes Directory lists 3 Feminine and 2 Shared scents with this note, so I have a starting point here. I also agree that it is dry fruity, apricot-like, rounded and slightly boozy note also found in Gucci Accenti, Kors Kors, Balenciaga Talisman, Ventilo 1-ere Journey and even YR Ode a la Amour, although I cannot detect it in OJ Osmanthus, try as I might.

There is DSH fragrance called Davana, but I do not know anything about it. Are there any other fans of this particular note and how do you guys satifsy your need for more davana?

Default Re: Need More Davana in My Life

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    . . . Are there any other fans of this particular note and how do you guys satifsy your need for more davana?
    Yes indeed Twolf. Givenchy Pour Homme. Forget the database's recommendation for Givenchy Pour Homme Blue Label; the davana note is more prominent in the original Givenchy Pour Homme.

scentemental
    Last edited by scentemental; 3rd June 2007 at 02:14 AM.

Thanks bunches, scentemental, will try this! By the way, you are somewhere around Dallas TX too, right?

I smelled it not long ago. Extremely compelling. Like the way it makes me feel.

Smelling the pure EO satiates me pretty good. Powerful stuff.
    Last edited by pluran; 3rd June 2007 at 02:35 AM.

I second getting a bottle of the EO- Liberty Natural and Eden Botanicals both carry it, I think. Davana is a wonderful odor, floral, citrusy, and earthy all at once.
    Kenzo Jungle Le Tigre (not the Elephant) has TONS of davana, but is discontinued and very hard to find. If you ever do run across a bottle, grab it!
    Last edited by Elf; 3rd June 2007 at 07:08 AM.

Reading Pluran's remark I was thinking about something else, but Elf's response actually convinced me -- essential oil, here I come! Thanks for your suggestions, folks!