Code of Conduct

Post Thanks / Like

Default F*** Unforgivable

Yeah, that's right, I hate this stuff. Why do you ask? Well it smells almost exactly like Millesime Imperial. It's growing more and more popular, especially among young adults and teens who are snatching it up just on name alone.

I used to be able to go to parties in the warmer weather, wearing MI, and it would be great. Now I go out and I end up smelling Unforgivable on many many people and its just the same as MI in passing. And these aren't even your usual frat-boyesque parties, so I can imagine its use is even more prevalent out there and in clubs. So much for having a unique scent, instead of standing out, I blend in! I want nothing to do Sean John, not even mild association.

So help me out here, I need a replacement for MI. Something unique to wear to parties and on nights out in the summer. It's sad to do this, but MI is being delegated to occasional daytime use for now, where I barely smell scents on anyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: F*** Unforgivable

Erolfa maybe, if you want to stay in the aquatic department. Or SMW? Are you looking for a replacement that's still a Creed?

I know you'll get a lot of responses saying that you should appreciate MI purely on its merits and wear it if you like it...forget everyone else. But Unforgivable pisses me off too. I know it's illogical, and I know that there are differences between Unforgivable and MI, and I know that MI is by far the better scent overall. But COME ON! One of the many attractions of wearing a high end niche scent is to stand out from a crowd and not have everything *think* they know what you're wearing and take it for granted. Everyone having Unforgivable doesn't defeat the purpose of wearing MI, and if I had a full bottle I'm sure I'd still wear it, but it sure makes me a lot more hesitant to spend $100+ for a bottle.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Post Thanks / Like

It doesn't have to be Creed and I have an unlimited budget, so niche is definetely in.

I was testing MI today, after not trying it for a while, and after a couple hours it started to smell incredible. I kept getting these sublime whiffs of fragrance every couple minutes wafting out like a gentle cloud around me. Mmmm.

If you like MI, have you tried other Creeds? Himalaya is really nice (if it lasts on you; longevity can be fickle).

If you really don't want to smell like everyone at the party, I'd recommend ordering some samples of niche fragrances from luckyscent.com. L'artisan Parfumeur, Parfums de Nicolai, Parfums 06130, and Montale and many other perfume houses are definitely worth experiencing.
    Last edited by Maxwell; 9th May 2007 at 01:54 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I try to steer clear of the (MTV) trendy colognes. Like Sean John and Paris Hilton for men. Seriously, who would want to tell someone that they are wearing a Paris Hilton scent? Even if it smells of heaven. To me, Paris and Puffy, sorry P. Diddy, represent everything thatís wrong with contemporary American culture. Now that thatís off my chest, I also recommend Erolfa.
    "Society honors its living conformists and its dead troublemakers."
    Mignon McLaughlin

I would give Ormonde Jayne's Isfarkand a try.

Its unique. Its versatile. Its long lasting. And it has amazing sillage.

If you go to www.perfumeposse.com and click on "Fragrant Fripperies" on the left side of the screen, you can buy a sample or decant to try it out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Creed SMW and Himalaya were what first came to my mind, as well. Great suggestions! However....Puffy's new scent, Multiplatinum or whatever the hell it's called smells a great deal like.....you guessed it.....SMW.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CologneJunkie View Post
    Creed SMW and Himalaya were what first came to my mind, as well. Great suggestions! However....Puffy's new scent, Multiplatinum or whatever the hell it's called smells a great deal like.....you guessed it.....SMW.

Are you kidding me...

And I have Himalaya. I'll try Erolfa, but I could use suggestions out of Creed too.

Post Thanks / Like

F*** Unforgivable? F*** you!

jk, Loves!

Yea, I really didn't like this one either. I also didn't like MI that much so... yea, pretty much.

I too would be embarrassed to say I was wearing a "Paris Hilton scent" if someone asked me what I was wearing.

Post Thanks / Like

I totally understand what you are getting at, and this thread makes me want to steer clear from purchasing MI for a bit, especially if Unforgivable and its spawn happen to be the scent(s) of the summer. On the other hand, GIT smells very much like Cool Water (or the other way around, really), but that doesn't stop folks from wearing the former either. The fact is, the Creed scent came first in both accounts. I would wear it knowing that.

However, if you do wish to stand out from the rest, I would recommend Erolfa or Original Vetiver from the Creed line. Both are great scents, fresh and clean, whose quality is evident. Outside of Creed, I would try Zino Davidoff, which is a little heavier at first, but dries down incredibly. I have yet to smell this on anyone else but me. You also might want to get your hands on a sample of VdR by L'Artisan. I have not tested this one in hot weather, but it too is wonderful.

Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Unforgivable is more similar to Bond no. 9 Wall Street than MI (although both seem inspired by MI).

As an alternative, how about Bond no. 9 Hamptons, which smells like Silver Mountain Water + a marine note (or SMW layered with Erolfa).
    -

Here are some other good ones to check out.

Terre d'Hermes
    L'Artisan ~ Fou d'Asinthe
    Amouage ~ Reflection (Man)
    Carthusia ~ Uomo

I'm pissed off too...I still have 3/4 of bottle of MI left. I mainly wear it at home now
    I second Ormonde Jayne's Isfarkand -very sophisticated.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas V View Post
    I totally understand what you are getting at, and this thread makes me want to steer clear from purchasing MI for a bit, especially if Unforgivable and its spawn happen to be the scent(s) of the summer. On the other hand, GIT smells very much like Cool Water (or the other way around, really), but that doesn't stop folks from wearing the former either. The fact is, the Creed scent came first in both accounts. I would wear it knowing that.

I see the similarities that everyone talks about with GIT and Cool Water, but I find GIT so much more superior. GIT is such a very strong, green scent. Whereas, Cool Water reminds me of a floral aquatic.

MI and Unforgivable are almost carbon copies. Unforgivable really IS MI minus the salty note.
    I'm a fresh scent junkie and proud of it!

Spring Top 10

1) Platinum Egoiste
    2) CK Truth
    3) Light Blue (Women's)
    4) Dolce & Gabbana PH
    5) Image
    6) Gendarme Mojo
    7) Artisan Black
    8) Mat; Male
    9) Live Jazz
    10) Sentiment

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: F*** Unforgivable

Quote Originally Posted by Borky View Post
    Are you kidding me...

And I have Himalaya. I'll try Erolfa, but I could use suggestions out of Creed too.
    I don't know. Checking your wardrobe I thought you weren't crazy about Orientals but you really like Muscs Ravageur and Gucci Envy

I find Acier Aluminum and the non Creed Jaipur Boucheron higher on the macho meter than Muscs Ravageur, though similar in feel--- they are NOT Summer scents though.

There's also a similar feel to Gucci Envy in the discontinued Signature by St. Dupont. Notice I said feel, not smell.

Back to the heat wave:

Before we leave Creeds altogether you might get the previously mentioned SMW before P Daddy kills its exclusivity in 1-3 years.

Like mint? Try out Selection Verte.

So much for Creedland. Check out the reviews on:

Lowe para Hombre,
    CdG's Vettiveru
    Gai Mattiolo Uomo
    Signorricci
    Eau de Rochas Homme
    and
    Cuir d'Oranger (Miller Harris)

Good Luck, Borky!

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Post Thanks / Like

Carthusia Uomo will fit right into your wardrobe...

Take care...

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: F*** Unforgivable

Unforgivable is a very cheap version of M.I. (and Bond No. 9 Wall Street).
    I had to buy a bottle to test it (over here in Germany). I never never buy this again.
    I didnīt know this smells like M.I. or Wall Street...now, everybody can get a cheap version of M.I:

I have the same feeling about his music...commercial and fake...and believe me. I hear hip hop music since day one...

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone who is tricking themselves into mentally degrading Millesime Imperial on the behalf of Unforgivable can just send those bottles of MI right to me.

They both smell great, and I own both. They are similar, but MI is superior imo. It doesn't matter whether girls can and would tell the difference, because they seem to love both of them. However, I have had a girl tell me that I could pick up any girl that I wanted to by simply wearing MI! That's a hell of a compliment!

Also, I've smelled Unforgivable Multi-Platinum several times and it simply smells like a lighter version of Unforgivable. Less sour and sweet. Anyone who says this smells like Silver Mountain Water is mistaken and making assumptions. Yeah P.Diddy is a rip-off artist, and yeah, MI is obviously modeled after MI.

However, if you are still not convinced that MI is a keeper, regardless of current trends, and would like another Creed alternative, I'd also check out Erolfa, as well as Bois de Cedrat, GIT (if you haven't already), Original Santal, and Himalaya for substitutes to be used in a similar setting.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scentronic View Post
    Anyone who says this smells like Silver Mountain Water is mistaken and making assumptions. Yeah P.Diddy is a rip-off artist, and yeah, MI is obviously modeled after MI.
    *Shrug* I said that, & I honestly got some similarity between the two. They're not exact copies (like MI & Unforgivable) but my nose detected some similarity between Multiplatinum & SMW. Of course, my nose also detects similarity between MI & SMW...

Anyways, I don't think I'm "making assumptions" because my nose tells me something different from yours.

Post Thanks / Like

I knew I was going to get jumped on for that one! I should know better than to make generalizations here!

Anyway, from what I understand, the Multi-Platinum was created to simply be a lighter version of the regular Unforgivable. That's what the SAs say anyway. I have to agree with them. You still get that watermelon citrus marine accord, but its just less sweet and sour. I also detected a leather-like note in Unforgivable that I didn't pick up in the new one.

Silver mountain water is in the same category, imo, so I'll give you that, but it stands on it's own with its whole alien-fruit thing. I guess what I mean is that I don't think Multi-Platinum is any more like SMW than Unf.

And they're not EXACT copies... Not trying to stir things up, I just own both and know them both well enough. I could distinguish between the two blindfolded pretty easily. Unf is more tart, sour and citrusy, MI is more of a fresh, briney marine. I mentioned the thing about making assumptions moreso in regard to people who actually haven't tried it yet and would just write off Puffy as a rip-off artist. (which he is ) As if he were simply trying to copy SMW with Multi-Plat.

I totally understand why he would do such a thing (release a MI-alike)...I mean, it is a kick ass scent, the likes of which were not available for less than the Creed price tag until he did so. It makes sense: produce a less expensive version of something great and use your popularity to sell it. Can you blame him? I think Unf was just a bit too strong for some people, so they toned it down a bit and made it "safer" for mass-consumption.
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I knew I was going to get jumped on for that one! I should know better than to make generalizations here!
    I wasn't intending to "jump on" you, just stating my opinion . And for what it's worth, I didn't really give Multiplatinum a long & thought-out sniff. I just sprayed the strip, & the resulting smell reminded me of SMW.

And yeah, it is understandable that he'd release a MI-smell-alike. According to those lists of what celebs like which Creeds, apparently Puffy wears MI. I don't really understand, though, why he'd release a "watered down" version of Unforgiveable. From what I understand the original is a popular scent among the target consumers.

Post Thanks / Like

Between you and me (and the hundreds of other people reading), I think Unforgivable tends to get a bit more sour and cloying as it ages. I bought a bottle new, shortly after it came out, and it seemed to change after about 8 months. I don't know if it neccessarily "goes off" or not, but it seemed to get a bit LESS refreshing over time. A bit darker somehow. Maybe MP is supposed to remedy this...that's what I'd guess. Then again, I might be wrong.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Between you and me (and the hundreds of other people reading), I think Unforgivable tends to get a bit more sour and cloying as it ages. I bought a bottle new, shortly after it came out, and it seemed to change after about 8 months. I don't know if it neccessarily "goes off" or not, but it seemed to get a bit LESS refreshing over time. A bit darker somehow. Maybe MP is supposed to remedy this...that's what I'd guess. Then again, I might be wrong.
    Perhaps. It makes me wonder, though, why people are so rushed to produce SOMETHING that the original ends up missing the mark, & they end up "fixing" it later on down the line anyway spending a lot more than if they would've "perfected" the original juice before launch. Kind of like what happened w/ Ralph Lauren's Polo Black/Double Black.

Post Thanks / Like

And they're not EXACT copies... Not trying to stir things up, I just own both and know them both well enough. I could distinguish between the two blindfolded pretty easily. Unf is more tart, sour and citrusy, MI is more of a fresh, briney marine. I mentioned the thing about making assumptions moreso in regard to people who actually haven't tried it yet and would just write off Puffy as a rip-off artist. (which he is ) As if he were simply trying to copy SMW with Multi-Plat.

No, they aren't exact copies. The topnotes are very, very close, but you're right. Unforgivable is more sour and...I don't want to say soapy...I guess less rich to me. The topnotes of MI almost feel thick when entering my nostrils. Unforgivable is a bit more transparent.

And like you said, the drydowns really set the two apart. Unforgivable can't touch MI's heavenly salty/ambergris aquatic accord, which, to me, really blindsides you after the rich/fruity opening. Unforgivable simply dries to a less compelling version of its beginnings.

This is why I would definitely still wear MI out if I had a bottle of it...but still, knowing that for a good third of its life it's so close to another scent that the ordinary person (and even someone here on BN, if they don't have much time with it) has no chance of telling the difference deadens my enthusiasm a bit.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 9th May 2007 at 07:06 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Post Thanks / Like

I bought the 4.2oz bottle of Unforgivable when about a year and some change ago. I still have live 95% left. I made a mistake, now I wanna sell it. Polo Double Black was a much better purchase for me.

i really dont care of celebrities fragances..and i hope never wear one of them....the only reason to make a celebrity perfume is make their face so popular and increase that egos .... anyway,. i hate rap.. so either that puff daddy thing....

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe its my unrefined nose, but in passing both are identical. In the real world, where you don't have time to analyze the inner workings of a scent on someone, their differences become insignificant imo.

Post Thanks / Like

That's what the SAs say anyway.
    I haven't met an SA yet that knew more about fragrances than me. That's really not saying much. Only the SA's in high priced stores like Nordies and Hall's know anything about their product, but that's usually limited to what they sell. Sometimes it's Creed, others it's Bond No. 9.

I too find UMP to be similar to SMW. That's OK with me, I still get complimented like crazy on it. I don't like Unforgivable that much, nor do I like MI, so I guess that I'm done commenting in this thread.
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, this thread has inspired me to go to the mall and give UMP another test, maybe even snatch up a sample for evaluation. If we've got multiple people smelling SMW in there, then I've got to double check before I make any more under-educated claims!...Luckily, I live on the other side of the mall parking lot. I'll post my findings tomorrow.

I think I like the packaging of the new one better too. The clear base is kind of neat.

Post Thanks / Like

Too much praise of SJ in this thread.

I still could use some more suggestions on replacements for MI. I don't care what house.
    Last edited by Borky; 10th May 2007 at 02:54 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I Guess he's out with another cologne but I have to be honest, I tried Unforgiveable over this past winter on sample card and my wife loved it! lol...She asked what cologne it was and when I told her she couldn't believe it.

Lets just say Puffy. P.Diddy, Diddy...whomever you want to call him isn't taken seriously in our everyday world in our house...lol...and usually celebrity colognes are a bust and laughable.

I have to stand my ground on this one. I think the cologne is good! lol. I mean I am looking for a nighttime scent, dark, and sensual, but when you read up on when to wear it it states its an all the time fragrance? Granted yes, everybody will be wearing Sean Jean and it must suck if your a MI wearer.

I went and tried all the Creeds last weekend and it's gourmet oily effect on the skin was indeed awesome and proved not to be cheap, but I wasn't moved by any of them at all. Weird, I figured I would like one out of all of them, perhaps I need to go back and try them again.

Creeds IM when I tried it was unique but I dont really think that Unf. was identical? I like Unforgiveable...lol...I never thought I would admit that I actually am considering a purchase of Unforgiveable!!! I may get it. It isn't the pure quality of CREED but I just like the way it smells, now to me Unforgiveable can be worn by both sexes IMHO just like IM, whatever notes are in them, they are nice.

Before I purchase the Diddy experiment..lol...I have these "Nighttime Sensual" samples to try coming in the mail: Michael Kors, Lucky No.6, Ungaro III, Xeryus Rouge, Romeo Gigli, Rive Gauche, Obsession Night, Gucci Pour Homme, Guess, and ofcourse....sorry...Unforgiveable.

There was a mention of Eau Noir by Dior and I cant find it in sample form, but the word is this is the Mamma Jamma of nighttime scents?
    The search for the perfect cologne is like a composer searching for the ultimate note.

P.S. F' Imus...Stern is King!

Post Thanks / Like

Here's my update:

Went to Lord and Taylor today specifically to compare the Unforgivable and Multi-Platinum. Sprayed both cards at the same time and smelled, then kept the cards to evaluate later (now).

The original Unforgivable was notably spicier initially, while the Multi-Plat was a bit brighter and cleaner. Other than that, they were indistinguishable. Multi-Plat bears absolutely no resemblence to SMW for me.

Now that the cards have dried down, the Multi-Plat has much better longevity, it seems. While the original Unf is almost gone, the Multi shines through, basically unevolved from the inital spray.

And one more thing - Millesime Imperial and Unforgivable are quite different. So are Cool Water and GIT. Enough so that to claim that they are interchangable is an insult to the scents and their wearers. Cool water is GARBAGE compared to GIT. If you can't tell the difference, I'm sorry, but you're in the wrong hobby. I know that's a confrontational statement, but I'm really serious. The only comparison that could be made would be a very stale, dulled and evaporated bottle of GIT is in the same ballpark of Cool Water. I suspect that many people who find the two similar are comparing stale GIT to CW. Fresh GIT blossoms into an incredibly resolute, complex, fresh pallette while CW reminds me of a scratch-and-sniff sticker. I'm smelling them side by side as I type this and can't believe that some find them identical. Sorry, I don't mean to hate on CW wearers, but I've heard so many people try and degrade some of our favorite fragrances for some of the most stupid, unstudied reasons...Making ridiculous generalizations. The exact same thing can be said for the whole XS/Himalaya comparison, MI/UNF, Joop!/OS, and Mugler Cologne/OV. I've got to stick up for my scents.

Unforgivable smells similar to MI only in the topnotes - its the smell of pure bergamot. When they drydown, you can easily tell them apart. Unforgivable turns into a mess like a lot of inferior designer scents. It becomes blurry with distorted notes. MI on the skin has a distinct Creed smell that cannot be imitated.

I don't know why people would avoid MI because of Unforgivable. They are not the same! Have any of you actually spray them on both wrists and compare them?

If Unforgivable was a Paris Hilton perfume, that would've been embarrassing. Rumour has it that she has a new fragrance named "Jailhouse Rock".

Post Thanks / Like

Paris can die a thousand painful deaths and rot in hell as far as I'm concerned.

I saw these three absolutely snobbish bimbos walking through the mall yesterday. They were probably wearing fifty thousand dollars worth of clothing and jewelry each. The were the biggest walking cliches I've ever seen. As they walked by, I overheard one of them say "You mean WALK there?! Let's just take the limo!". They were so detatched from normal society that I looked at them as if they were freaks. I decided to follow them out of the store, from a distance behind, just to see if I could hear any more funny phrases. I'll tell you what - these women were the cattiest, most materialistic, ignorant, self-absorbed, undeserving, bitches I'd ever seen.

But Paris Hilton still makes them look like normal people in relative comparison! Watching that Simple Life show made me want to vomit. I mean physically ill. I hope she gets curb-stomped and run over by a bus full of poor people. I want to spray her cologne in her eyes and light her head on fire, laughing like a super-villian.

Post Thanks / Like

I saw these three absolutely snobbish bimbos...
    If you complain of snobbery, you shouldn't say that Cool Water is garbage. To tell you the truth, my CW gets more compliments than my GIT, it just doesn't last as long. And, to tell you the truth, I would like it more than GIT if it did have more staying power. Just my two cents in the end though. Always my opinion,
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

Sean jean

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by _R$_ View Post
    I haven't met an SA yet that knew more about fragrances than me. That's really not saying much. Only the SA's in high priced stores like Nordies and Hall's know anything about their product, but that's usually limited to what they sell. Sometimes it's Creed, others it's Bond No. 9.

I too find UMP to be similar to SMW. That's OK with me, I still get complimented like crazy on it. I don't like Unforgivable that much, nor do I like MI, so I guess that I'm done commenting in this thread.
    - Rich
    Same here ! I asked a SA at Macys if they had a tester of Egoiste over at the Chanel botiuqe that I could sample, the lady brought back Platinum Egoiste. and I was like "oh, no, i'm sorry I meant the origional Egoiste" and her exact words were "there is an Egoiste by Chanel before Platinum came out ?" I was like "umm, yes... nevermind" and I walked away lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Borky View Post
    Too much praise of SJ in this thread.

I still could use some more suggestions on replacements for MI. I don't care what house.
    Bond No. 9 Wall St. Personally, I think Unforgivable has more in common with Wall St. than with MI. Very similar in marine notes.

Mr Hulot's Holiday from CB I Hate Perfume.

En Passant from Malle.

Fougeres Marines by Montale.

Also, check out the amazing recommends in the first few posts of the neroli thread:
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=196704

Hopefully, some others will chime in to answer you original inquiry, "Something unique to wear to parties and on nights out in the summer. ", and provide recommendations as well.
    Last edited by Sloan; 22nd May 2007 at 03:43 AM.

I will never give P whatever his name is now a penny of my hard earned money.....and the fragrance does not last.....I sampled this to see what the buzz was all about.....I got about 25 minutes out of this scent......$75.00 for a 4.2.......$55 for a 2.5......Not in this life or the next life......Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Borky:

I always preferred Erolfa to MI. It doesn't last half as long though.
    And not to dwell on Creeds so much, but Bois de Cedrat and Neroli Sauvage are good.

I actually thought Unforgivable smelled the most like Bond No. 9's Little Italy (the one time I smelled UnF-able). So, try Little Italy...it's an EDP & lasts longer naturally.

I also like Roma Uomo by Laura B. If you wanna save a buck. It's a much drier orange, though.

Post Thanks / Like

I finally got to sample some Creeds yesterday, albeit under the pressure of annoying Neiman's associate. I tried SMW, Erolfa, and the new VIW.

SMW I rejected almost immediately as it seems like just another incarnation of Himalaya. That typical Creed house note which I'm quite accoustomed to now. VIW was good, but maybe not for me in my climate. I feel like I should be wearing pastels and shorts, and sipping a Pina Colada with that. Erolfa, though was excellent and I plan on purchasing it soon.

I think, you are right. I remember smelling it at Sephora couple of months ago and it smelled like it had gone bad.There must be something wrong with the juice. That's probably why it started showing up at drug stores in spite of being #1 seller. And I liked it initially.