Code of Conduct
    Cambridge, Leeds, London and Newcastle (It's complicated!)

Default rose poivree - alternatives?

just posted on the 'starting out' board, but my question is possibly better suited to here.

having recently turned 21 i've come to the decision (based on nothing at all really) that my fragrance needs to be a little more grown up.

I currently alternate between Burberry Brit and Carolina Herrera's 212(MEN). I'm right now trying to analyse what I like in these two... Brit has a pronounced floral (violet? rose?) note, which i love, but i sometimes wonder if it's overall too baby-powdery, perhaps sliiightly too sweet.
    The 212 i fell in love with the first time i smelled it, and I still love to wear it, although the novelty is starting to wear off. I find it very distinctive, and it seems to last forever - sometimes just a couple of sprays on a jacket is still potent weeks later when i wear it again. Less floral, although there is some in there I think, and quite a sensual smell too - it often gets compliments and I love it on other men. But it's SO common, it just doesnt feel special.

Anyway, to the point - I was recently in Harrods having lunch, and I thought I'd pop into the Urban Retreat perfume department. I was guided through various fragrances, and one i absolutely fell in love with was the Different Company's Rose Poivree. I adore the combination of the floral with the reassuringly masculine, pungent pepper, and it has a wonderfully sexy musky note too. It was a little short-lived, but i'd be willing to put up with that. Much more sophisticated than the fragrances I'm currently using.
    The downside? The price is just a little bit beyond what i'd like to be spending.

So I'm wondering if anyone familiar with Rose Poivree can suggest something else that I might like, something floral but masculine, with a musky sex-appeal too - and more sophisticated than the Burberry or the 212.

Please help! Thanks

Guy

Default Re: rose poivree - alternatives?

I think you can get Rose Poivree at a reasonable price from ebay.
    "Whereof one cannot speak, one must remain silent thereof." --Wittgenstein

Basenotes Institution

First of all, a disclaimer: In my opinion, there is nothing out in the perfume market like Rose Poivree. I love it and I do not own a full bottle because I bought a small 1/3 oz decant of it online and found it pretty affordable at this size. Yes, there are other 'dirty' rose scents, but RP is a unique gem. Another that comes to mind immediately (which is JUST as expensive as RP) is Voleur de Roses by L'Artisan de Parfumeur (but its not peppery, it's just dirty!)

But, I think your question is also for AFFORDABLE alternatives to this type of scent - something complex, something floral, something for a young man...

I would recommend Midnight Violet by Ava Luxe. You cannot buy this at Harrods (or any department store for that matter) but you can buy directly from the perfumist herself (www.ava-luxe.com). Go to the Female Discussion board and look for the thread about Ava Luxe Week. In that VERY LONG THREAD there are a few reviews of MV (as well as other possible candidates for your 'new scent') that I think will support my recommendation.

MV is floral (violets like no other violet scent I've smelled before), dirty (a little dirt, flower stems, leaves) and the drydown is tactfully animalistic in its muskiness, but not in a hitting-you-over-the-head way.

Many other scents come to mind...but I don't want to overwhlem you with tons of suggestions. Stick around Basenotes for a month or so, and I'm sure you'll discover more 'afforadable' gems, besides Rose Poivree.

Good luck!

Hey hey! Another Midnight Violet fan! I really like this stuff, I find it a more WAAAAAYYYY cheaper alternative to Thundra by Profumum, and it's actually stronger. Alternatives? To tell you the truth, sometimes nothing will suffice, so here's my recommendation: Put $5 in a jar for 30 days. BINGO! $150 at your disposal. People easily spend this much a day on coffee, yada yada, so I find that saving up a little at a time for a fragrance actually works pretty well. (This helps if you're a server and you get paid in tips, so you have the $5 in cash to put in a cookie jar.)
    - Rich
    BTW - How's that Rocabar treatin' you Mike?
    Last edited by _R$_; 10th May 2007 at 12:55 AM.
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by _R$_ View Post
    Hey hey! Another Midnight Violet fan! I really like this stuff, I find it a more WAAAAAYYYY cheaper alternative to Thundra by Profumum, and it's actually stronger. Alternatives? To tell you the truth, sometimes nothing will suffice, so here's my recommendation: Put $5 in a jar for 30 days. BINGO! $150 at your disposal. People easily spend this much a day on coffee, yada yada, so I find that saving up a little at a time for a fragrance actually works pretty well. (This helps if you're a server and you get paid in tips, so you have the $5 in cash to put in a cookie jar.)
    - Rich
    BTW - How's that Rocabar treatin' you Mike?
    Rocabar's feelin' a little neglected - I've been on a sample-a-thon, with Ava Luxe Week and now the Tom Fordies'...ever so often I pull off the bottle cap and inhale Rocabar's top notes: almost like they packed an entire forest in that bottle...old school Hermes fo' sho'. Thanks again...

Glad to hear we both like MV too...have not sniffed Thundra though.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 10th May 2007 at 03:33 AM.

You've chosen a great one. Rose Poivree is fantastic. I don't know of anything
    quite like it.

If pepper is your thing, you wil also find Caron's Poivre in the extrait (pure parfum)
    strength to be fantastic. That's hardly a cheaper alternative, though.

I'd say to save up and get Rose Poivree.
    --------------------------------------
    There is something floral yet masculine about the recently discontinued
    Dunhill for Men (1934). If you find a bottle of that, it would be worth sniffing.
    http://www.basenotes.net/ID26120479.html

Regards,
    trumpet_guy
    Last edited by trumpet_guy; 10th May 2007 at 06:55 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I also adore Rose Poivrée and I too agree that there's nothing that's worthy of replacing it. But you should try (it's discontinued) to sample Paco Rabanne's Ténéré for a remotely similar (but not as stunning) dirty rose experience.

I'm a fan of Czech & Speake's No. 88 as far as a manly rose scent.
    - E.J.