Code of Conduct

Talking French Lover came in today (quick review)

My tiny bottle of French Lover just arived. First Impressions are very good , I like what I smell. There's patchouly , there's incense and tree moss.
    Very warm, very comforting. Also lot's cedar wood. On first spray there's also a strong ,herbal ,sweet like smell. Never smelled anything like that. Maybe it's the Angelica, but I'm not sure.
    It's manly alright, but considering the popularity of CdG insense with the ladies, this will also find it's way to them, ..maybe.
    Somehow I consider Musk Ravageur more "French Lover" than this one. It's not bold or sweet, but more classic and down to earth.One could consider this scent "too mainstream" for a niche house like Malle. Considering the price, who can blame them. time will tell.
    To visualise this scent, typewise, scents come to mind, like: CDG Man, CDG Avignon, Gucci pour homme,etc.
    Ofcourse these were first impressions. Longevity , I'm not sure yet. I think the cedar wood will leave a pleasant,comforting feel on the skin.
    Last edited by eric; 9th May 2007 at 12:52 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: French Lover came in today (quick review)

Your review, as well as a few others on the blogosphere, are quite good...this sounds quite delectable and something I look forward to adding to my Santa's list.

That's disappointing, it doesn't sound as 'sexy' as I expected it to be. I was expecting something with a similar feel to MR.

What's left on my skin of it is not entirely what I expected, it's better.
    It's more incence than cedar, but very close to the skin. Not shouting , but whispering.
    It's a differend type of scent than Musk Ravageur, but I dunno if it's "sexy." depends on what you define as sexy.I like Musk Ravageur too, but these can't be compared really. I guess there's a FM scent for everyone.
    Some find incense type scents sexy, others find sweet smelling scents ,"sexy". Have to do a full test and let others decide if it's sexy or not.
    Last edited by eric; 9th May 2007 at 02:55 PM.

Thank you Eric. I was hoping someone would give his impressions soon, and I am grateful for every word you wrote. These seem to confirm ideas I got reading the components listed on the Malle website. It seems that FM mean business when they classify a fragrance as masculine. I look forward to sampling it myself within the next weeks.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Here is a link to an excellent review of French Lover, just scroll down a bit to get to it.

http://perfumesmellinthings.blogspot.com/

Barry

thanks for the review, sounds good, but not as adventurously sexy as i had hoped

ps: this thread title made me laugh a lot (did he sneak in the window?)

Quote Originally Posted by rentboy View Post
    ps: this thread title made me laugh a lot (did he sneak in the window?)
    , tried to stay with the"tongue'n cheek" theme, but coming from me it did sound a bit weird.
    I'm going to test the "sexiness factor" on my wife tonight. Ooh yeaaaaaaaaah..... ( Bary White music in the background..).

I'm aware that last sentence sounded bad also, ...and very seventies, although I like Barry White.

Prince Barry, thanks for the link.
    Last edited by eric; 11th May 2007 at 04:09 AM.

I ordered my bottle last week...It's going to hit US in late august, under a differernt name.
    I couldn't wait, and had to have the original name.

Wink Re: French Lover came in today (quick review)

I will test F.M. French Lover today...my nose is ready for it :-)

Off-Scenter

French Lover arrived today from France, and I'm wearing it as I type. I'll need to live with it for a while before I attempt a review, but I'll share a few first impressions:

Mercifully, this is not a "me too" scent. It's dark, it's distinctive, it's full of character, and it's quite complex in its evolution. The American Bois d'Orage ("Thunderwood") label is apt; this is a real whipcrack of a scent. Nothing sweet, nothing pretty here. If I were to look for its relations in the Frederic Malle line they would be Vetiver Extraordinaire and (especially) Noire Epices. It starts out forbidding, and even a bit austere, but warms up as it goes, revealing an kind of dangerous animal aspect without any vanilla/amber sweetness.

More to come, and a full review over the weekend...

Thanks Vibert. It sounds quite intriguing. I'm wondering, does it connect to the classic 70s/80 chypres in any way? Could it be viewed as a 21st century update of something like Balenciaga's Portos?
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matičre/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénčtrent le verre.

Off-Scenter

Actually, now that you mention it, French Lover does strike me as being somewhat in the genre of Portos, MPG's Parfum d'Habit, or perhaps even Yatagan. It's much more transparent and civilized than any of these, without the artemisia or the penetrating castoreum in Yatagan and Portos, or Parfum d'Habit's leather. No smoke here, either. Yes, there is plenty of oakmoss, but the overall effect is much more subtle than the hit-you-over-the-head 80s chypre effect.

After coupe of hours on my skin French Lover is dominated by vetiver - very raw, earthy vetiver that reminds me of MPG's Route du Vetiver, though softened by patchouli and warmed by a bit of musk. If you compare this with the dirty, leathery 1980s chypres, French Lover leaves them looking like they're walking around with their flies wide open.

Interestingly, the heart of the scent is touched with an odd, musty note not far removed from the foetid floral decay that creeps up underneath Ropion's Une Fleur de Cassie.

It's an interesting scent, this one. Much more wearable than the 30 year-old powerhouses, but also assertively male.
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 11th May 2007 at 10:44 PM.

Incense, patchouli, angelica, cedar...this is a must test for me.

A restrained and well-behaved Yatagan ? Sounds fun.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    Actually, now that you mention it, French Lover does strike me as being somewhat in the genre of Portos, MPG's Parfum d'Habit, or perhaps even Yatagan. It's much more transparent and civilized than any of these, without the artemisia or the penetrating castoreum in Yatagan and Portos, or Parfum d'Habit's leather. No smoke here, either. Yes, there is plenty of oakmoss, but the overall effect is much more subtle than the hit-you-over-the-head 80s chypre effect.

After coupe of hours on my skin French Lover is dominated by vetiver - very raw, earthy vetiver that reminds me of MPG's Route du Vetiver, though softened by patchouli and warmed by a bit of musk. If you compare this with the dirty, leathery 1980s chypres, French Lover leaves them looking like they're walking around with their flies wide open.

Interestingly, the heart of the scent is touched with an odd, musty note not far removed from the foetid floral decay that creeps up underneath Ropion's Une Fleur de Cassie.

It's an interesting scent, this one. Much more wearable than the 30 year-old powerhouses, but also assertively male.
    Sounds very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by P-Natra View Post
    I will test F.M. French Lover today...my nose is ready for it :-)
    OK, so.......?

Darn good describing of the scent,Vibert, if I may say so, thanks!
    I agreed with every word you said.

Have been wearing it a few days now, and it's indeed very dark and manly. Raw, and refined at the same time. I find it somehow strange it's released now. It's more fall/winter scent to me but maybe this wears ok on warmer weather too. After al I've neen wearing m7 in summer also.

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    Darn good describing of the scent,Vibert, if I may say so, thanks!
    I agreed with every word you said.

Have been wearing it a few days now, and it's indeed very dark and manly. Raw, and refined at the same time. I find it somehow strange it's released now. It's more fall/winter scent to me but maybe this wears ok on warmer weather too. After al I've neen wearing m7 in summer also.
    I agree that he timing on this release is pretty odd. I think it's going to get more wear from me in cool weather. The more I wear it, the more it boils down to a vetiver and incense fragrance in my mind. A this point I think I've got enough of a handle on it to write a full review - my conclusion is that anybody looking for a very dry, assertive, woody chypre but finds Yatagan too weird and uncouth and Route du Vetiver or Vetiver Extraordinaire too wild may enjoy French Lover.

On to that review...

My bottle just arrived today (remarkably quickly, too. It took about 10 days).

My initial impression is that it smells somewhat like Terre d'Hermes without all the citrus. It wears very close to the skin for a perfume. I wish it projected a little bit more. I'll wear it out with the lady friend tonight and see what she thinks.

So far I like it, but I can't believe how much I spent on it. Also, samples would have been nice with a purchase like that. Oh well. We'll see how it is in a few hours.

-b
    Nihil Obstat Ben

[url=http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1883]My Wardrobe[/url]

Thank you both, Eric and Vibert. Vetiver and Incense, sounds so good! For me the sum of this is: I better delay my idea of getting either Vetiver Extraordinaire, or A. Dominguez' legendary V for now. Otherwise I end up with one vetiver too many! Of course fragrance descriptions can hardly ever work without comparisons. Unfortunately here at the cost of Yatagan, and a group of once popular chypres. It has yet to be seen how one can be similarly impressed with French Lover and yet remain loyal to Yatagan which has been appreciated as a rather unique and special cologne for men. The eighties were a great decade for men's colognes, and not just raw, macho ones.
    Last edited by narcus; 12th May 2007 at 08:28 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Off-Scenter

Red face Re: French Lover came in today (quick review)

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    Of course fragrance descriptions can hardly ever work without comparisons. Unfortunately here at the cost of Yatagan, and a group of once popular chypres. It has yet to be seen how one can be similarly impressed with French Lover and yet remain loyal to Yatagan which has been appreciated as a rather unique and special cologne for men. The eighties were a great decade for men's colognes, and not just raw, macho ones.
    Good point narcus, though don't take my comparisons the wrong way! I have nothing against the big 80s scents - they sure beat the heck out of all the chocolate syrup and limp bathwater that've crowded the market for the last couple of decades. The world of fragrance would be much impoverished without JHL, Tuscany Forte, Azzaro, Van Cleef and Arpels, and their kin! (Not to mention the more understated 80s niche scents from Creed, Diptyque, and L'Artisan Parfumeurs.)

Kouros and Yatagan are still 4-5 star fragrances in my book, and while it's easy to charicature them as I have, I don't mean to disparage them. Both are giants among their peers. French Lover is just a bit more versatile and easier to wear than they are. It suits a different set of moods and circumstances, and its relative transparency is a bit more in line with contemporary fragrance trends. I could see wearing French Lover to a business meeeting. Kouros? No way!

I wouldn't throw away any of the 1980s masterpieces for French Lover. On the other hand I would choose very carefully between French Lover, Route du Vetiver, and Vetiver Extraordinaire. These three could be a bit redundant in a medium-to-small collection. Unless, of course, you're a vetiver completist.
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 12th May 2007 at 09:08 PM.

I think I'm going to wait on buying this. At least until I can get a sample, which won't be for a while since I'm not near NYC.

So far sounds like a 3/5. I would play it safe and go for a sample first.
    -

I tried it today, and like it a lot !

I totally agree there is a strong resemblance with Terre d'Hermčs, but without the overpowering effect of the latter. It is a little like a darker, more discreet version of it.

I think women are going to adore French Lover on men : it is deep, cool, manly, very balanced and refined.

As soon as I smelled it I thought a fragrance can hardly get any more Left Bank Paris than this one : it "embodies" a certain idea of understated chic, and a sure proof of taste.

Talking Re: French Lover came in today (quick review)

I bought this one last week...i love it...it´s worth any cent :-)
    Last edited by P-Natra; 8th August 2007 at 10:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    Good point narcus, though don't take my comparisons the wrong way! I have nothing against the big 80s scents - they sure beat the heck out of all the chocolate syrup and limp bathwater that've crowded the market for the last couple of decades. The world of fragrance would be much impoverished without JHL, Tuscany Forte, Azzaro, Van Cleef and Arpels, and their kin! (Not to mention the more understated 80s niche scents from Creed, Diptyque, and L'Artisan Parfumeurs.)....
    Thanks for the additional comment. I understand you well now, and your admired review of Yatagan (directory) ties in perfectly again. When I go and get my sample, I will try and concentrate on Vétiver xo also. Probably I shall make a decision between these two before I pursue any idea about Dominguez' V. I like the unobtrusive but firm statements in a few Edition perfumes very much.

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    Thanks for the additional comment. I understand you well now, and your admired review of Yatagan (directory) ties in perfectly again. When I go and get my sample, I will try and concentrate on Vétiver xo also. Probably I shall make a decision between these two before I pursue any idea about Dominguez' V. I like the unobtrusive but firm statements in a few Edition perfumes very much.
    I'll be very curious to see what you think of VE versus French Lover. If the "unobtrusive but firm" aspect of, say, Noir Epices appeals to you, French Lover may be right up your alley as well. They don't actually smell very much alike to me, but I think they project a similar mood. Maybe it's because they're both assertive and masculine, with no sugar added. (BTW, I agree with your comment on another Frederic Malle thread that Noir Epices is hard to imagine on most women. Any of the ladies have a thought on this?)

i tried it last week (French Lover). my girlfriend run away...i have to wash it off...smells like old people...i stay with creed (fresher and light notes). I don´t need the longtivity...French Lover maximum 2 sprays and it last til the next day...not my kind of fragrance...and Musc Ravageur is sooo sweet...i will pass Frederic Malle scents...
    I would recommend atleast a weeks testing period (preferably two) before passing initial judgment over a fragrance. Its been my experience that sometimes a couple of wearings wont completely reveal a perfumes nuances. Ofcourse perceptions can change over a longer period of time as well but thats why its so much fun !
    -

Off-Scenter

i tried it last week (French Lover). my girlfriend run away...i have to wash it off...smells like old people...i stay with creed (fresher and light notes). I don´t need the longtivity...French Lover maximum 2 sprays and it last til the next day...not my kind of fragrance...and Musc Ravageur is sooo sweet...i will pass Frederic Malle scents...
    Frederic Malle scents sure are a far cry from the modern Creeds. I can't imagine your girlfriend's response to some of the super-sweet Serge Lutens fragrances!

In all seriousness though, you've tried what's probably the sweetest scent in the Frederic Malle line (Musc Ravageur) and one of the most agressive and severe (French Lover). I love Musc Ravageur, but it's very easy to overapply. In fact, I've switched to the oil formulation because it stays closer to the skin.

Not all of the Frederic Malle scents are as extreme in character as the two you've tried, so don't write the whole house off. You'd be cheating yourself badly if you did. Among the other Malle fragrances, Noir Epices is extremely suave and sophisticated, without a drop of sweetness to it. Lys Mediterranee is a surprisingly light and refreshing unisex floral, Cologne Bigarade is a very crisp citrus with a sneaky animal accord in the base, and Angeliques sous la Pluie is a light, subtle scent that I find very easy to wear.

ZZtopp is right, by the way: these are mercurial fragrances that deserve a pretty long test run, preferably under varied conditions. I shudder to think about some of the great scents (including Santal Noble, Ambre Sultane, and Black Aoud,) that I dismissed prematurely!

Talking Re: French Lover came in today (quick review)

Wonderful scent...best for fall
    Last edited by P-Natra; 8th August 2007 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thumbs down Re: French Lover came in today (quick review)

LAME, LAME, LAME. shy sillage, No staying power.....angelique with a different label. I sprayed, and sprayed, and sprayed. What a rip off.

I couldn't wait until Saturday to get this under my nose: what an amazing masculine beauty! I immediately recognized a note I have (unfortunately) no name for. It is rather noticeable in Gris Clair also (there described as grey rock and lavender dust, I believe). The F. Malle representative described it as 'burnt' incense to me, but maybe it's mainly the galbanum (?). Nawaf, a cologne from the Middle East, has it as top and middle notes. It took me a while to adopt that smell, but now I find it quite fascinating. This completely distracted me from looking for the Vetiver. I think I caught a trace of that on my Jacket sleeve today - two days I had my wrist sprayed! Being someones lover is often a rather private and discrete affair, I think. So I find moderate sillage very adequate. I have no doubts concerning the perfume's longevity particularly when it grows while you wear it. I think men who have enjoyed VetiverX may also find this new cologne attractive.

The name sounds like a promise. If people expected a firework of sensations and emotions from this bottle, they will be disappointed! But if the message is about the strength, energy, and nerves of a secret lover - then that's what you get! Those expecting another Musk Ravageur will have to wait for it, and sample Carnal Flower in between.
    Last edited by narcus; 21st May 2007 at 04:59 AM.

Can't wait to try French Lover and Carnal Flower - I will see them this week in Paris. The Malle fragrances are mostly all near misses to me. I am wanting to like this house. They all have something going for them, but also they all seem to miss the point somehow.

I love the concept of this house, great fragrant ideas and ingredients seem top drawer, but I have to totally agree with P-Natra in his previous post - "Nothing against Frederic Malle but . . . " The only one I've been able to appreciate over time is the Bigarade Concentree - have gone through 2 bottles of this great summer scent - its fresh, not cloying, attractively orange but also mysterious with the ending animalic musk. Had to give the Vetiver Extrordanaire away it was just too thick and lacked the mystery of great vetiver scents in my opinion. The Musc Raveager smells great - I like the idea of it, but only if you can spray once and divide it onto four areas of the body. If you don't its just too sweet and trying way too hard - in a naive kind of way for such experienced ingredients. Maybe the MR oil would work better (thanks Vibert). Noir Espices evolves way too metallic to overpower the spices and charm of the opening, and the other frags are just too feminine for men. An exception is the Angelique - it is a very fresh light summer floral fragrance that a man can wear.

Hoping the new ones break the trend of near misses.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    Can't wait to try French Lover and Carnal Flower - I will see them this week in Paris. The Malle fragrances are mostly all near misses to me. I am wanting to like this house. They all have something going for them, but also they all seem to miss the point somehow.
    I think it has to do with the lofty expectations of the house brought on by Malle's founding claims. Most of the fragrances in the line are variations of what already exists in the catalog of other houses (or something similar to it) - sure, the Malle version might be a bit better composed of better ingredients but one might not feel an urge to invest in it. For example, VE is a good vetiver fragrance, but its not substantially better or different than the well established vetiver offerings from other line. The same could be said of the many rose and citrus offerings in the line. Theres no radical hook like that of Montale with ouds for example.

Maybe we should substantially lower our lofty expectations from this house - its not going to make the other established niche and classic houses seem like yesterdays news anytime soon. I personally find the new houses of Montale and Perfume d'empire/generale more exciting than Malle. Malle is onpar with the other much talked about houses, and I would probably be more impressed by the line if it was one of the first houses I had explored.
    Last edited by zztopp; 21st May 2007 at 02:02 PM. Reason: typo: tuberose -> vetiver
    -

I was one of those who approached this cologne sceptically.Therefor the first encounter was a very pleasant surprise! Calling FL a perfume would be wrong for a change, and in a way I am relieved! This is a classical men's fragrance with a fun name. And only the name should alarm anybody! (I'll tell the story of how it came about when I have more time.) I won't speculate what scent associations people may have with that name. But a lot will depend on gender, age, experience and location. It could be almost anything. Humans are rather versatile. Perfume-wise I expected anything within the triangle of Jicky, Drakkar Noir and Fou d'Absinth. It's nothing of the kind, and it feels very modern (not in the sense of future, just our presence, right for now). It is like a fine silk tie on a fresh white shirt, worn in a city which appears too be grey on many days and too loudand crowded. This tie is not loud and in perfect harmony with the rest of a man who has his job under control and also his private affairs. Although he tries to make concessions to please others occasionally, this man is aware of the short time he has to realize his own goals. He will never wear or tolerate anything that could narrow his freedom unduly, or reduce his dreams down to barbie size adventures. There was a novel titled French Lover.a few years ago, author Taslima Nasrin, an Indian woman, which caused some attention in France (Young Indian lady, married to a middle aged Indian merchant, meets Frenchman in Paris). I didn't read the novel myself, but heard a few things about it. Wherever that story takes you - it is obviously not just romance! And neither is this cologne !

I had initially been afraid that French Lover would smell 'loaded' like Musk Ravageur (so wonderful but best worn at bedtime). FL isn't that at all, and rather simple on the surface. Now I am doubly pleased. I find it suitable for the happy hours and imagine it wouldn't disturb the work atmosphere either. The other good thing - It is an extension rather than a replacement of other favorites from the Edition.

A lot of mileage is between Kouros (1981) and this Lover ! We saw Live Jazz, Cool Water, Féminité du Bois and Iris Poudré on our journey, and we certainly grew older together with Bourdon. I feel I owe PB, the perfumer, a lot! Perhaps some swimmers still remember that he was an admired athlete in youthful years, and a political scientist later.You may sometimes wonder what a certain cream or shaving foam smells of - he would be the man to ask! Bourdon has been responsible for some of them. The name 'French Lover' is the only thing he is not responsible for. I know for certain that it was "Bois de ..?.." originally. So, most likely Bois d'Orage was the original name now restituted for America. I doubt if French Lover will ever be as popular as Kouros has been. Perhaps it will eventually be recognized as one of the finest colognes for men that Bourdon did. It may also be his last one - who knows?

"The choice of a perfume has as much to do with the regional culture as with one's preferences. It is even much more controlled by existing social codes than by desires believed to be one's own."
    (Pierre Bourdon/Scented Salamander/ no date visible)
    Last edited by narcus; 21st May 2007 at 01:42 PM.

The house is one of the very few which consistently inspires me. They've been aligned with their source from the start and have never disconnected. Noir Epices is as solid as they come, and though I haven't worn them all, there hasn't been a poor one in the bunch. VE is the most intriguing and accurate vetiver frag I've worn, though I prefer the substance of Route du Vetiver. Musc Ravageur a great one, but I let go of it (to my gf) for I've had all the ambery/vanilla drydowns I can handle. I haven't even sampled Une Rose. I expect it to be excellent. I prefer it on my girlfriend, but Carnal Flower is one of the best things I've ever smelled. I've been off sample mode for some time. I must get to work and sample the rest of these beauties. Bois d'Orage first, though I'll probably just buy a bottle.
    Last edited by pluran; 21st May 2007 at 01:11 PM. Reason: V20GMid

Off-Scenter

Thank you narcus for a marvelous tribute to a great parfumeur and a fresh perspective on French Lover. That French Lover has sparked such a degree of controversy so soon after its release may actually mean that it's slated for legendary status.

Whatever its eventual significance, I agree with narcus that French Lover does extend the Malle line in an unexpected direction. I also concur with pluran on the house in general: while I don't like every Malle scent, I've found its offerings to be more diverse and interesting than most others'.

Interesting take on the fragrance and on Bourdon, Narcus. I feel exactely the same about it, even after a week.
    rather like it and have been wearing it on some rainy days most of the times.
    No lasting problems on me.I own Musk Ravageur too , but it's totally differend.I want to sample Carnal Flower one day.
    I can understand the dissapointed reactions though. I think that the name and the hyping on some blogs, also have to do with it.I'm not sure myself if I will replace my 50ml bottle when I finish it. (like I will ever finish a bottle )
    Also , there are a lot fragrances out there that are the same type fragrances and are a bit friendlier priced.Comme des Garcons Man, L'Eau Blue d'Issey come to mind.
    But that also counts for some other high end brands.
    This will be my winter favorite this year.
    Last edited by eric; 21st May 2007 at 05:09 PM.

Thumbs down Re: French Lover came in today (quick review)

No sillage...boring...yawn. Was really looking fordward to this. Oh well.

Quick impression after 2 wearings: not edge-y whatsoever, perfectly 'safe' for work or anywhere else. Fresh without the power wash; green but not the vegetable bin.
    People will not get into the elevator and know you've been there. (Husbands will not get into bed and know you've been there....not going to test that one ;-)....)
    It's Discreet.
    It's a nice guy scent and a change of pace from more 'complicated' stuff I wear. I definitely like it. Good for guys not into unisex scents.

But really, is it understated or just not much of a statement?
    Right now I'm thinking for the money, there's not enough there to warrant the extra cash. But I'll keep wearing it and when the decant is gone we'll have the real test.

Quote Originally Posted by grizzlesnort View Post
    It's Discreet.
    It's a nice guy scent and a change of pace from more 'complicated' stuff I wear. I definitely like it. Good for guys not into unisex scents.
    I should really smell French Lover. Too many of my perfumes are 'complicated'. I want something for every day
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

After my first full day of wearing French Lover, add me to the list of its admirers. It's an incredibly well-balanced composition in which each note blends very well with the other notes . Anjelica was a brilliant selection for an opening because of the way it compliments the pimento and galbanum in the middle, and it smells wonderful. Playing its own role to a tee, pimento provides a subtle peppery bite to the incense, musks, and hint of patchouli dwelling in the base. The galbanum note is intriguing in that it creates a fresh, green accord as it blends with the base.

Overall, a sparking intro from anjelica evolves into an a fresh peppery, pimento, woody,incense, musk. I like it and would probably buy it again. FL will likely draw a few comparisons to other fragrances (CdG 2 Man, Gucci PH, Heeley Eau de Cedre, Tam Dao, to name a few) but it's still distinct enough to stand on its own. A worthy addition to a consistently outstanding line of fragrances.

Moderate sillage and great longevity. I can still detect traces of it after eight hours. Day/night casual/formal doesn't matter. I would wear it any occasion any season. I like the name too, fun, playful and makes me smile.

Basenotes Institution

I gave it a full wearing yesterday (thanks Andrew!) and I like.

That angelica top note...it reminds me of something, but I can't figure it out. I wracked my brain trying to figure it out.

I find it very different from other woodsy/musky mens scents - the way it kept fading and then pulsing on me all day was neat. I kept getting subtle flashes of it all day and my first thought was 'what smells so good'.

I was disappointed with the longevity (for such a pricey frag), and I did not underapply (sprayed 7 - 8 times).

Probably my 2nd favorite Malle scent I've tried (under Bigarade Concentree).

I'm saving the rest of my decant for the fall/winter - IMO this scent just screams to be worn in the cool weather.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 8th June 2007 at 11:26 PM.

it is a bit like Terre d´Hermés without the fresh notes
    Last edited by P-Natra; 8th August 2007 at 09:15 AM.

Sounds just like Gendarme Sky without the cognac to me...

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

That´s true what zztop wrote...now i bought French Lover, i love this scent...you have to test it for weeks or more...sorry for my bad review...best fall scent right now...

it is a bit like Terre d´Hermés without the fresh notes
    And its true what P-Natra wrote !
    -

Some basenoters says that French Lover don´t last long...hhahahaa...I have to say, if you want to smell nice with French Lover...maximum 2 sprays on the neck...in the evening even 3 sprays...maybe it is 7% alc (don´t think that´s weak) and like zztop wrote, you have to test this few more weeks and than you will regonize what good scent this is.

Thumbs up Re: French Lover came in today (quick review)

I like the 'French Lover' at first sniff but . . . I usually prefer vetiver, angelica and frankincense in fragrances and that is what this one is all about. FL is kind of severe in its naturalness - has a serious and dark outdoor attitude. Reminds me of the smells of camping out in the woods. Or, like a chunk of vetiver pulled right up out of the ground, with damp roots, wet earth and green moss all over it. There is a watery translucency to the scent that is very appealing. The angelica adds a green lift to the opening of very earthy vetiver root that finishes with frankincense. Although I like the fragrance greatly I am not drawn to wear it much. Why is that? I guess it doesn't really inspire me. Lacks humor - except for the name. Why is a french fragrance company naming a fragrance "French Lover" in English - I don't get it.