Code of Conduct

Default New Dior Cologne Homme has arrived..and it's not welcome

Hi gents,
    Just got back from Italy and got a phone call from the SA at The Bay (Ottawa,Canada) telling me that the new version of Dior Homme had arrived.

Well, let's just say that this is a big, unexpected mistake. The bottle is taller and is sized at 4.2 oz. The fragrance is, well, rather vapid. I sprayed my wrists several times to determine what the difference is between it and the orginal, Dior Homme.

The scent is not stronger, though I think through various posts we had heard this to be the case aside from the fact it was going to have 'orang blossom' in its notes. I did spray the orginal version. The new Dior Cologne Homme lacks longevity or any noticeable resemblance to its sire.

I am at a loss as to why this version was carried through to market.

Default Re: New Dior Cologne Homme has arrived..and it's not welcome

Looks like the third-rate accounts won out. I really hope it's not as bad as you make it out to be graffham, but I kind of expected it, to tell you the truth; that's why I stocked up on Dior Homme big time. I never thought everyone was ready just yet for such a unique cutting edge fragrance with iris so upfront. I think it also pushed the gender barrier for some, which in my mind is a good thing. It really sounds like they've done a hatchet job on the poor "sire".

I hope they don't discontinue the original. Nah, that wouldn't happen. Original, beautiful, well-designed fragrances of quality and distinction discontinued for no reason. That never happens, right? RIGHT?
    Last edited by scentemental; 9th May 2007 at 11:22 PM.

the new Dior Homme: is it an eau de cologne or toilette?

i tend to view the original as an evening fragrance
    so i hope the "lightness" will make the new Dior Homme wearable as a daytime, easy, scent

still, any news on US arrival...?

*cross fingers*
    wishlist:
    Chanel - Cuire de Ruissie and Eau de Cologne
    Penhaligons - Quercus, Castille, and Raquets
    Dior -Eau Noire, Dior Homme Cologne, Dior Homme Intense, and Dior Sweet Sun
    Frédéric Malle - Angelique sous la pluie and Eau d'Hiver
    L'Artisan - l'eau de l'artisan and bois farine
    Hermès - Elixir des Merveilles, Jardin sur Nil, and Hermessence Confret.

from the sound of it, its pretty clear to me why this was brought to market: crass profit-chasing. The original Dior homme was a commercial flop in the states, because your average shopper was too put off by the avant-garde powder iris topnotes to ever ride it through to the drydown, so the bean-counters at Dior (maybe cashing in the strength they now hold over lame-duck helmsman hedi slimane, who as a pretty sharp nose IMO) figured " Mall dwellers love citirc topnotes, so if we switch out the Makeup note with something like Orange Blossom, maybe we can make some moolah"

I share scentemental's affection for the original, and am ready to take up arms in a Resistance Militia if they try to discontinue it.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo View Post
    " Mall dwellers love citirc topnotes, so if we switch out the Makeup note with something like Orange Blossom, maybe we can make some moolah"
    i agree
    but i haven't tried the new version so.....can't write my opinions in ink yet
    wishlist:
    Chanel - Cuire de Ruissie and Eau de Cologne
    Penhaligons - Quercus, Castille, and Raquets
    Dior -Eau Noire, Dior Homme Cologne, Dior Homme Intense, and Dior Sweet Sun
    Frédéric Malle - Angelique sous la pluie and Eau d'Hiver
    L'Artisan - l'eau de l'artisan and bois farine
    Hermès - Elixir des Merveilles, Jardin sur Nil, and Hermessence Confret.

Whats with the spike in recent mens fragrance releases all using Orange Blossom? First Le Fleur de Male, then Fahrenheit 32 and the new Dior Homme?
    I love orange blossom (the true scent from the flower that is), but are there no other flowers in bloom in the French countryside to choose from? Puh-leeze people!

As scentemental and Joel Cairo mentioned, this was pretty much to be expected. I find it sad, however, that they're trying to back off from the original for the sole reason of what seems to be making more cash. So much for LVMH
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

Quote Originally Posted by graffham View Post

I am at a loss as to why this version was carried through to market.
    I guess it's marketed to people like myself, who didn't really like the original Dior Homme, and i was expecting a tweaked lighter version of it with possibly other flowers and not too much iris but that would work with my skin.

I don't like it when people think that whenever there's a lighter version of something it's almost automatically tossed as something not worth having. I have made that comment myself too, but now i think differently.
    True, the lighter the scent, the less longevity, but sometimes there are people whom prefer that over the neverending quality of some scents.
    There's the case of Shalimar and Shalimar Light, and of Samsara and Un air de Samsara, both the lighter versions are wonderful in their own right.

I also hope they won't discontinue the original, because there must be something for everyone on the market.

So hopefully, i will like it, but i'll have to test it on my skin first.
    Last edited by castorpollux; 10th May 2007 at 05:00 PM.

Dior Homme is a resplendent perfume. I expected this variant to be slightly less good, but not this bad.
    De gustibus non est disputandum

Quote Originally Posted by castorpollux View Post
    I don't like it when people think that whenever there's a lighter version of something it's almost automatically tossed as something not worth having. I have made that comment myself too, but now i think differently.
    True, the lighter the scent, the less longevity, but sometimes there are people whom prefer that over the neverending quality of some scents.
    There's the case of Shalimar and Shalimar Light, and of Samsara and Un air de Samsara, both the lighter versions are wonderful in their own right.
    This is a tendency, for sure, but by no means a rule. I, for one, much prefer m7 fresh to m7, I also often reach for Kouros Fraicheur before Kouros and there are some who argue Allure Sport is better than Allure Homme.

but yeah, there is usually a kind of "they watered it down for the masses" attitude toward lighter flankers.