Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Top or Not?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

52 67.53%
  • No!

25 32.47%

Default What's wrong with GUERLAIN'S VETIVER?

Looking for the ultimative Top 100 male or unisex fragrances. Also female fragrances possible if could be worn by male.
    They will all start with "What's wrong with ...." and the fragrances chosen are my personal TOP 100 of all time.

Guerlain's Vetiver.

I would like to hear arguements and opinions WHY the particular fragrance SHOULD NOT be in my Top 100, probably there's a better alternative, wrong notes or even a stinker? If anyone is perfectly fine with my opinion you can answer the question "What's wrong with ...."

with:

"Nothing"

.... but try to concentrate on the negative aspects instead of raving.
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

Default Re: What's wrong with GUERLAIN'S VETIVER?

Yes: It is an evergreen!!! A true classic!

No: It is too classic!

You'll probably get various complaints about Guerlain Vetiver, but it remains the most
    recognized vetiver scent on the market. I love it, and plan to always have some in
    my wardrobe.

One could argue about whether this one should have more or less of each of the
    central elements: citrus, vetiver, tobacco, tonka. But, the elements work well together,
    I think. Some claim it was reformulated when the bottle got modernized. They may be
    right, although I detect only a very subtle difference. There are many "right" ways to
    make a vetiver scent, but some are more right than others. GV is a benchmark
    in vetiver scents.
    Last edited by trumpet_guy; 10th May 2007 at 08:24 AM.

The tobacco note was designed for days when every pub, bar, restaurant, home was filled with smoke. It smells very ashy and is so persistent that it really interferes with the next day's frag. This survives two showers and more. The opening and heart are magical though, its such a shame. I wear it every day when I take my children camping for a week. When the bottle is gone, I doubt I will replace it.
    Last edited by hirch_duckfinder; 10th May 2007 at 12:54 PM. Reason: punctuation
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Which one? The new and old are both excellent, though the new requires more of it. I can apply the stuff all day long and never get enough. That's far from true of the original which only requires a few sprays and lasts twelve hours and on. The new has a lot more citrus, less oakmoss and no civet. It's far more effervescent and many people will like that. The old is very dense, a richer, much darker smell. The original is a well-aged single malt. The new is a young single malt with added citrus. Both possess excellent drydowns, thought the longevity of the full scent is much stronger in the vintage thanks in large part to the civet and more oakmoss. The civet also gives it an extremely natural feel as if the scent is oozing from the pores (think vintage Givenchy Gentleman). The more prominent cedar in the new version makes it a little drier and its tenacity makes up for some of the lost longevity.

Can't find any reason not own these other than that I can go through the new version fast due to less susbtance. I rarely wear it anymore though I do wear the original quite a bit in the summer. There a number of good vetiver arrangements out there now.
    Last edited by pluran; 10th May 2007 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Source Connection

It is a very nice, fresh, masculine Cologne - on par with the high quality standard Guerlain always offers. I am much happier with it ignoring how it was named. For the Vetiver route I would start with Occitane's.

5-11/ I have to add: From the various Guerlain Vetiver editions I prefer the vintage Vetiver and Ice versions.
    Last edited by narcus; 11th May 2007 at 08:11 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Talking Re: What's wrong with GUERLAIN'S VETIVER?

Vetiver (Guerlain) is good vetiver, but i think is better for older people. I gave it to my father. I prefer Creed´s Original Vetiver. It´s fresher and smells like cut grass...the vetiver is lighter.

If you can wear this in terms of skin chemistry, there is no reason not to. It should be in everybody's Top 100 as classic as it is.

Personally, I hate it. It is one of the few perfumes that physically nauseates me. I have never smelled a more repuslive tobacco note - hirch duckfinder put it quite well - it smells more like smoky pub the day after, ashes, or (used) chewing tobacco. On me, this smothers any other note there might be, so it fails as a vetiver and as a perfume per se. I love Creed's OV, 1948 (on the to buy list), Vetiver Hombre, L'Occitane's Vetyver and would not miss Guerlain's if it disappeared from the face of the earth.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Cool Re: What's wrong with GUERLAIN'S VETIVER?

Not a damn thing.

5 stars.

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

First time I let my gf smell it...her face went *Bluek* "Smell like old man..."
    Second time i wore it "Why did you deliberately wear that again to annoy me?" Winds down window of car instantly
    Third time... "No loving for you..."

I keep my bottle now for pure collection purposes
    "You smell kinda pretty! Wanna Smell me ?"
    - Johnny Bravo

Wardrobe

There's nothing wrong with it, should be in everyones wardrobe.
    Although it can be a bit boring at times ,cause admit it.., we are spoiled. It's one of those scents you're glad you can rely on, when you need something classy and easy to wear at the same time. Wasn't this a winner of the BN award a few years back?

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Classic scent IMO. Not everyone's cup of tea but hey, what hasn't it's detractors?
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

I totally agree with hirch_duckfinder!
    The fragrance is named Vetiver, but there's too much tobacco in it! A friend of mine smelt it once and after the fading of the top notes he instantly said it smelt like cigarrette smoke... The top notes are amazing, some heart too, but the tobacco really makes it annoying. It last forever, but It's definetely an "another time fragrance".
    I'm thinking about swapping it.

If you have a problem with the tobacco note in the original, the problem has been solved with Guerlain Vetiver Extreme. NO TOBACCO. This one is very nice. Extremely woodsy, and slightly oriental feel in the drydown. I prefer this to FM - Vetiver Extraordinaire, L'occitane - Vetyver...

My favorite vetiver is still Creed - OV, but this one is right behind it. Seriously, give this one a try before you discount it because it is a sibling to the original. It is significantly different! I believe that Guerlain Vetiver Extreme is an exclusive at Sephora.
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 10th May 2007 at 01:18 PM. Reason: spelling

I got my blind bottle of GV right after I bought my blind bottle of Creed's OV. What a disappointment! OV is so much better. GV came out 'nasty' on my skin. I traded it away.

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

It is very tempermental on my skin. On some days it lasts all day; others it is gone in a flash. Sometimes the citrus comes out, sometimes the base, sometimes no vetiver at all.

I have to say the older juice was not as tempermental or citrusy, but unfortunately for me, that bottle jammed up on me. I'll have to dissect that bottle apart. Damn them.
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

The tobacco note might be heavy for some (and that too if applied heavily). I dont find any faults in this classic. The vetiver note is very well balanced and the diverse citrus top notes and the tobacco/spicy base give it lots of character. You cant beat the price too ($20 at many discount retailers!). Alongwith Creeds OV/Vetiver'48, and Malle's Vetiver, this is a regular in my vetiver rotaton.
    -

It is painful for me to imagine how the original formulation must have smelt. Well, the pain is taken away a bit when some basenoters claim that the differences are not that significant. I suppose the present one lacks a bit of "bite" quality, "nose catching", as I use to say. It is too indifferent. And that's the problem of this one: While Creed's Original Vetiver - subtle in its own rights - overpowers by sheer beauty, the Guerlain one has not this specific feature. It could be depth and a certain "nastiness" (the kind I picture when considering Michael Caine to be a wearer of Vetiver, according to our most beloved perfumeshrine).

So she's like... like, it's SO Totally Old-Man-ish?? ewww???

And I'm like, Shut Up??!!! Whatever???!!!

And she goes... I'm SO TOTALLY not talking to you today???

Quote Originally Posted by yonggoh View Post
    First time I let my gf smell it...her face went *Bluek* "Smell like old man..."
    Second time i wore it "Why did you deliberately wear that again to annoy me?" Winds down window of car instantly
    Third time... "No loving for you..."

I keep my bottle now for pure collection purposes

Wow; I'm on the other side of the planet, and yet my wife gives me the EXACT same response!

I reserve wearing this stuff for when I know I'll be outdoors or when I know I'm the only one around. It's a comfortable frag for me, but I don't think most people I hang out with would appreciate it's "Classicness." I preferred the older juice (pre-2000), but they're not so different that I totally gave up on Guerlain's version. I still think Frederic malle's Vetiver Extraordinaire beats it handily.

My only, and I mean only, complaint is lack of longevity on my skin. I am amazed that someone can detect notes from this fragrance after one shower, much less two.

I have not tried the Extreme version, but it sounds intriguing.

Off-Scenter

Red face Re: What's wrong with GUERLAIN'S VETIVER?

There's nothing whatsoever wrong with Guerlain Vetiver. It's just that Vetiver Extraordinaire, Route du Vetiver, and Villoresi's Vetiver are all more daring and distinctive.

I'm really making friends on these threads, aren't I?

It smells like bathroom disinfectant. Yes, the stuff used to clean dirty Kohler bowls.
    Top 5 for Late Summer:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Aventus - Creed
    3) Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    4) L'Humaniste - Frapin
    5) Millesime Imperial - Creed

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

I really like this one, but the only problems I have with it are its extreme longevity and the pronounced tobacco note that plays center stage for the remaining 36 hours. It just lasts too long. I remember waking up one morning after having sprayed it on for work the day before. It was still alive and kicking in a major way. Smoke city. I seriously wanted to barf.

I like it but don't wear it. Original Vetiver is the one for me.
    You are not your perfume.

are there going to be 97 more of these? it would be better to put up a web site, list one hundred fragrances and let people vote up or down.

regarding Guerlain's vetiver ''' I think it smells womderful citrusy smoky and a bit tropical. I've since learned that Hindus have used vetiver in different forms as a relaxant. I love good vetiver incense for instance. My best friend may insist I open the window. Since it's to hot to open the window, I extinguish the incense and turn the AC up higher briefly.

Quote Originally Posted by fredricktoo View Post
    are there going to be 97 more of these?
    Ha!

I would say Whats wrong with that?
    -

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Ha!

Hey - let's vote!

Title: What's wrong with dr.creed?
    Question: Carry on or not?
    2 votes possible: Yes! or No!

decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Ha!

nothing, just asking. Zeez you're coming in on Saturday to let us look at all those teeth right? Yes she's still with us.

good night gracie

Quote Originally Posted by fredricktoo View Post
    nothing, just asking. Zeez you're coming in on Saturday to let us look at all those teeth right? Yes she's still with us.

good night gracie
    Yea my killer shark got hungry after having a look at the pics of lil french poodles here - it might need a ginormous toothpick after its done. Or maybe its gasping for air after waddling about in the Jersey sea shore !

Dr. Creed, maybe a thread (or two) per week focusing on the top 100 would be good.
    Last edited by zztopp; 10th May 2007 at 06:04 PM.
    -

give that shark a cigar!

Last edited by fredricktoo; 10th May 2007 at 06:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa1905 View Post
    My only, and I mean only, complaint is lack of longevity on my skin. I am amazed that someone can detect notes from this fragrance after one shower, much less two.

I have not tried the Extreme version, but it sounds intriguing.
    i have vetiver since 1 week and used it now 3 days. Couldn´t believe it first, but it´s the same on me. Need 2 showers & it is not 100 % away. That´s really great but normally i use every day another so it´s now a problem. Now i am using maximum 2 sprays at my neck and it could be at next that i will use only 1 x when it will be there after shower the next day.
    Last edited by sanatik; 10th May 2007 at 10:57 PM.

A thumbs up from me. I was given a sample and at first I thought it was repulsive, but I could not stop sniffing it. Within a week I was hooked on it. There may be better vetivers, better tobacco noted scents, but this combines it's notes in a way that lands it in my top 100.

Nothing wrong at all!!!!

Basenotes Member

Guerlain's Vetiver is by far the best vetiver in my book. I read above about too much tobacco, but my nose does not detect any such thing on my skin. The longevity is good, though it doesn't last all day for me. It is dry (and I don't like the sweetness of some vetiver's such as the Roger and Gallet brand), grassy, not too much citrus at all. I find the new version sweeter, and not quite right. Thank goodness I had the foresight to stock up on the old while I still could. I have a lifetime supply (perhaps 2 or 3 lifetimes.....and I did the same thing with the original Derby in that old square Habit Rouge bottle...I think 6 or so bottles should last!). It is class, it is the best, and definitely is in my top 20!!!

Its a diet vetiver. So I say no for myself but yes if you like softer vetiver.

for swap/sale:

Yes: stylishness, versatility, subtlety, good value, quality

No: vapidness- even if it lasts, it lasts too close to the skin, formality and a certain overly "mature" style

Yes - It is an excellent scent
    No- You will smell like an old man, people will look at you funny, panties will stay firmly in their place.

Thread necro?

I think it is an awful fragrance. I respect it's history and position in the fragrance field and realize that my opinion is in the minority, however, in many attempts to like this fragrance, I have been wholly unsuccessful.

wrong? it costs money

a true 5 star!!
    Last edited by blackened; 7th October 2011 at 02:23 PM.
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

Basenotes Plus

What is wrong with it? Every woman in my life that has ever smelled it wrinkles their nose in disgust. It is a well-crafted scent, and I respect its place in history, but - on my skin - it smells like insect repellent. Absolutely dreadful stuff.

A true classic scent. Could have longer staying power IMO.

You don't have to love it, but it is a fantastic classic vetiver scent.

It took me a couple weekend wearings to warm up to it. I loved the top notes out of the atomizer, but found the scent on my skin a little different than I expected due to those great topnotes. Now, I really like it especially on warmer days. I even get complements in the office. I'm sure there are other wonderful vetiver scents out there and I plan on making the rounds through them. But I can see me always maintaining a bottle of GV in my wardrobe.

Thumbs up Re: What's wrong with GUERLAIN'S VETIVER?

Nothing wrong.
    This last edition ( IMHO and on my skin ) is much more closer from the original edition.
    I have bought today a 200 ml bottle
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Quote Originally Posted by ROBERTO View Post
    Nothing wrong.
    This last edition ( IMHO and on my skin ) is much more closer from the original edition.
    I have bought today a 200 ml bottle
    Hi Roberto, are you suggesting that the latest reformulation is actually closer to vintage than the one right before?!? Interesting, I've never heard of that...

Thumbs up Re: What's wrong with GUERLAIN'S VETIVER?

Quote Originally Posted by gtsb View Post
    Hi Roberto, are you suggesting that the latest reformulation is actually closer to vintage than the one right before?!? Interesting, I've never heard of that...
    Absolutely gtbs
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

I love vetivers and have several of them. There are none that I enjoy wearing more than Guerlain.
    '...And you'll carry me down on your dancing
    To the pools that you lift on your wrist...'

Nothing is your answer.

It's perfect for what it is !!!
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    GR8 Hitz: Kouros, Egoiste & Fahrenheit

Quote Originally Posted by CHSeifert View Post
    Nothing is your answer.

It's perfect for what it is !!!
    +1!

It wasn't what I expected before I first tried it, but it's a great scent.

Theres nothing wrong with it , its just boring