Code of Conduct

Default Gift for College Graduate

I'm looking for suggestions for a graduation gift for a friend's daughter. She's graduating from Hampshire College with a major in fashion design, so I'm guessing she's appreciative of colognes. She's 22 and headed off to NYC next fall. The dresses she designs include some unusual (to me) materials such as chicken wire, roofing shingles and copper pipe. She's more likely to be found in a jazz club than a high end bar or fancy dance club. Any thoughts?

Thanks very much.

jim

Blog Entries

Default Re: Gift for College Graduate

Quote Originally Posted by redbike View Post
    I'm looking for suggestions for a graduation gift for a friend's daughter. She's graduating from Hampshire College with a major in fashion design, so I'm guessing she's appreciative of colognes. She's 22 and headed off to NYC next fall. The dresses she designs include some unusual (to me) materials such as chicken wire, roofing shingles and copper pipe. She's more likely to be found in a jazz club than a high end bar or fancy dance club. Any thoughts?

Thanks very much.

jim
    She sounds quite savvy and avante garde but what is she wearing at the moment? I think she would appreciate a Prada, L'Artisan or Comme des Garcons blend if she truly is into the anti-establishment, individualistic style / self expression. But it really does depend on her personal taste, preferences and style. Good luck in your search for the perfect gift.
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

I would think there's not a lot of time for you to make this selection. But if you are near to a fairly comprehensive department store or fragrance store, samples of suggested choices are always a good idea - together with a gift card.

Like Moondeva said - L'Artisan and Comme de Garcons feature "non-traditional" scents (for "traditional" read "floral, oriental, powdery") that are unusual and popular with the young.

Or, iff you have time, check out www.luckyscent.com - they are Left Coast and very hip. And they have samples and are quick to respond!!

Do let us know how you fare!!
    Last edited by TaoLady; 13th May 2007 at 12:33 PM.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Vodka!

I think I might go for a gift certificate to Aedes de Venustas, Luckyscent, b-glowing, Beauty Habit (trying not to leave anyone out here), Sephora, Ava-Luxe, Opulentals, in other words, niche sellers/perfumers, or a bag of samples from one of them with a gift certificate as well, so she can pick out something unusual that she likes.
    Last edited by Elf; 13th May 2007 at 05:59 AM.

Thanks for these helpful responses. To tell the truth, I'm not sure if she wears any cologne. The idea of a sampler makes a lot of sense. So off to the stores.

jim