Code of Conduct

Default Found cheap "GIT" at Target: Caldo 'Moss'

I was looking for crap to buy the other night when I came across a few bottles of cologne in the 'nice stuff' section of Target (near the makeup). They are from a company called Caldo, which I can't seem to find mention of anywhere outside of Target.

There were a few bottles; I can recall one being Eau de Bergamot or somesuch, and the other was called Moss. I thought, Hey- Moss- Neat. It was $15 for a little 1oz bottle, so I grabbed it. When I got home and sprayed it, I had this weird deja vu feeling with the topnotes. After a while, I realized- this stuff is supposed to smell like GIT.

The topnotes are similar to GIT; the verbena and other bright, fresh notes are there, but in a more synthetic and 'thin' way. The midnotes are the same as the drydown, and they are also similar to GIT. They are similar in that they ARE notes that are in GIT, but not ALL the notes that are in git.I don't notice and musk or ambergris or any of the smooth, mellow notes that make GIT so good. The result is a very fresh, light frag suitable for casual summer wear, IMO. The Caldo stuff just makes me appreciate GIT all the more.

If you don't feel like paying Creed prices but you like GIT, you might want to check this stuff out.

-ben
    Last edited by greyhueofdoubt; 12th May 2007 at 08:26 PM.
    Nihil Obstat Ben

[url=http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1883]My Wardrobe[/url]

Blog Entries

Default Re: Found cheap GIT at Target

Caldo products are exclusive to Target stores. I like their "tea" scent. Also, they have these HUGE bars of soap that smell amazing. They always seem to be sold out now, though .
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Perhaps you should have entitled this thread a bit differently, as it's clearly not "GIT" that you "found cheap at Target", but rather a cheap knockoff (if anything at all) instead.
    Scents are fleeting . . . memories are not. . . .

Quote Originally Posted by zeram1 View Post
    Perhaps you should have entitled this thread a bit differently, as it's clearly not "GIT" that you "found cheap at Target", but rather a cheap knockoff (if anything at all) instead.
    He does state the name of the alternative in the title: Caldo Moss.

Has anyone tried this GIT clone ? The notes are exactly the same:

http://www.frankbush.com/i84.php
    Last edited by zztopp; 12th May 2007 at 10:53 PM.
    -

Default Re: Found cheap "GIT" at Target: Caldo 'Moss'

I am familiar with this aisle at Target (the "nice" one near the cosmetics with all of the soap, bath salts, and shaving products) I vaguely remember seeing this scent, but didn't have a chance to try it.

Colognes/Perfumes aside, the scent of "Caldo" is one I'm quite familiar with - it's a very common soup dish here (Caldo de pollo, Caldo de res, etc) and it smells and tastes absolutely delicious!

Quote Originally Posted by Ab74 View Post
    I am familiar with this aisle at Target (the "nice" one near the cosmetics with all of the soap, bath salts, and shaving products) I vaguely remember seeing this scent, but didn't have a chance to try it.

Colognes/Perfumes aside, the scent of "Caldo" is one I'm quite familiar with - it's a very common soup dish here (Caldo de pollo, Caldo de res, etc) and it smells and tastes absolutely delicious!

lol- I guess in spanish, caldo means 'broth', right? From what I can tell caldo is italian for 'warmth'. I suppose the two words are related. 'Broth' might not be the best name for a perfume company...

-b
    Nihil Obstat Ben

[url=http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1883]My Wardrobe[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    He does state the name of the alternative in the title: Caldo Moss.
    Yes, it now does state the alternative, but only after the necessary clarification was pointed out.
    Last edited by zeram1; 13th May 2007 at 12:35 AM.
    Scents are fleeting . . . memories are not. . . .

Quote Originally Posted by greyhueofdoubt View Post
    There were a few bottles; I can recall one being Eau de Bergamot or somesuch, and the other was called Moss. I thought, Hey- Moss- Neat. It was $15 for a little 1oz bottle, so I grabbed it. When I got home and sprayed it, I had this weird deja vu feeling with the topnotes. After a while, I realized- this stuff is supposed to smell like GIT.
    I would agree with your assessment. When I tried it, it reminded me of Cool Water:

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=177230

The packaging is very handsome.

I recall reading somewhere that Target no longer carries this line?
    De gustibus non est disputandum