Code of Conduct

Default OK if i have 'Cinnabar'..............

Should i feel deprived if i don't have 'JHL'

I remember reading here about their similarities but are they perfect substitutes?

gupts

Default Re: OK if i have 'Cinnabar'..............

I have tried them side by side, and I honestly can't tell a difference other than strength. I think Cinnabar is an eau de parfum while JHL is likely an eau de toilette.

If there is any real difference in composition, it is so subtle that my untrained nose can't detect it. I have no problems using them interchangeably, but I am careful with the Cinnabar.
    Life is a banquet...and I got botulism! -- Me

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilSF View Post
    I have tried them side by side, and I honestly can't tell a difference other than strength. I think Cinnabar is an eau de parfum while JHL is likely an eau de toilette.

If there is any real difference in composition, it is so subtle that my untrained nose can't detect it. I have no problems using them interchangeably, but I am careful with the Cinnabar.
    Because of all the discussion about the similarities between these two, I have been interested in finding the answer for quite some time.

JHL is one of my favorites, but it wasn't the easiest fragrance to find. Eventually, I had to buy mine online.

I received a sample of Cinnabar today (thanks mikeperez23!). I am wearing Cinnabar on my left and JHL on my right - and, I agree completely with BlueDevilSF's opinion.

To my nose, they are identical with the only exception being that Cinnabar is stronger than JHL. If JHL is not generally available when I need to replace it, my next bottle will come from the Estee Lauder counter instead of the Men's counter!
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    Because of all the discussion about the similarities between these two, I have been interested in finding the answer for quite some time.

JHL is one of my favorites, but it wasn't the easiest fragrance to find. Eventually, I had to buy mine online.

I received a sample of Cinnabar today (thanks mikeperez23!). I am wearing Cinnabar on my left and JHL on my right - and, I agree completely with BlueDevilSF's opinion.

To my nose, they are identical with the only exception being that Cinnabar is stronger than JHL. If JHL is not generally available when I need to replace it, my next bottle will come from the Estee Lauder counter instead of the Men's counter!
    I was on the edge and was about to sell my cinnabar bottle thinking i would buy JHL anyways but i think i will hold on to it now.

gupts

Basenotes Institution

Glad you enjoyed the Cinnabar TwoRoads - there was something in it (aldehydes perhaps?) that made my nose burn slightly and turned me off to it. Whatever this was, I didn't remember encountering it in JHL. I'm glad you found a positive similarity for you.

Another point to ponder: Estee Lauder has a few body products for Cinnabar, don't they? Has anyone tried layering the Cinnabar body lotion with JHL?

happy is the bleu heart<3

I used to wear a lot of Cinnabar back in the day ... I never really liked the lotion, it didn't smell the same to me as the EDP. But oh! the scented body powder! silky and smooth and softly Cinnabar-scented. Do you guys wear much body powder?
    I've trademarked the color bleu

I agree with Mike -- Cinnabar DOES have more of a rosy/aldehyde note to it that JHL lacks -- I think that JHL has a woodsier/more masculine feel to it while Cinnabar has a slightly "rosier"/more feminine feel.

Still, the two are so remarkably similar that it's downright embarrassing at times, especially into the drydown.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 11th December 2007 at 09:21 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Decades ago when I worked in a department store, we had the same discussions about the interchangeable fragrances produced by Estee Lauder. On slow nights we’d hang out in the cosmetics section sampling away trying to determine if EL was really selling the same frag with different labels for her many different brands. After all, Clinique men’s skin care was the same as the women’s just in a different bottle so could it be a far stretch that the same was happening to the frags?
    Clinique Aromtics Elixir=Aramis 900
    Aramis=EL Azuree
    JHL=EL Cinnabar
    Etc etc etc
    A lot of life has passed between then and now so I don’t recall the instances of the tests in minute detail, but I do remember our conclusion was that these frags were all unique and weren’t rebottled versions of each other. They may share notes (even a house note?) but they were easily noticeably different. It was a shame because I wanted them to be the same! The women’s versions all had ancillary products that I would have loved to use, but alas it was not to be.
    Having said all that I wonder if the years have brought the formulations even closer together than they were? I recently acquired JHL and while nice, it is a mere shadow of its former self. By now it may indeed equal Cinnabar.

Quote Originally Posted by loungeboy View Post
    I recently acquired JHL and while nice, it is a mere shadow of its former self. By now it may indeed equal Cinnabar.
    Do you think it is at all possible that your perception of the scent has changed?

Thank you. No more questions.

IANAL

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    Do you think it is at all possible that your perception of the scent has changed?

Thank you. No more questions.

IANAL
    Nope.

They are both very close however, Cinnabar has an unmistakable fatty aldehyde on the top that sets it apart from JHL. In a blind test, it is easy to tell them apart on first spritz. However, as both dry down, they grow closer in similarity (as the aldehyde dissipates in Cinnabar).

Post Re: OK if i have 'Cinnabar'..............

My wife bought me a bottle of JHL for my birthday when it first came out. She, for a number of year's wore Cinnabar' before she got more into floral woody fragrance's. More than once over the year's I would Put JHL on one wrist, and Cinnabar on the other,and to my nose Cinnabar open's with a strong synthetic accord'or note. The heart seem's to be a little harsh, compared to JHL. On the dry down I could still detect a strange synthetic note, mind you not over powering but still a presence.Between the two, and for that matter, over more than 90 percent, of the fragrance's I have worn over the last 44 year's JHL remain's one of the finest creation's ever. IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Ron199 View Post
    My wife bought me a bottle of JHL for my birthday when it first came out............Between the two, and for that matter, over more than 90 percent, of the fragrance's I have worn over the last 44 year's JHL remain's one of the finest creation's ever. IMHO
    To your nose, have either changed? I can't imagine EL changing the formula (unless required by gov't/industry regulation) of either of these two signature scents.

I first discovered Cinnabar in 1984 or 85. I purchased a new bottle a couple years ago and it still smells exactly the same to me - heavenly. It was only then that I discovered there was a men's equivalent. They are both absolute masterpieces IMO, although they are so similar, I guess they really only count as one masterpiece.