Code of Conduct

Thread: Beeswax

Default Beeswax

I have a slight and shameful crush on Miel du Bois. I try it on whenever I visit Aedes. Both of the owners have told me how much they don't like it, the fragrance blogs and boards seem to confirm the fact that no-one likes it, and many people have sniffed it straight off my skin and told me that they don't like it. I can't help myself: the beeswax note pulls me back in.

Can anyone think of any other fragrances with a prominent beeswax note? I've noticed that a few Lutens have them, though the only one I'm familiar with is Fumerie Turque (and I don't smell any bees in there - just honey and smoke). Are there any beeswax fragrances that you particularly recommend?

Favorite Notes:
    Rose, Apricot, Violet, Leather, Iris, Blackberry, Saffron, Musk, Incense

Default Re: Beeswax

Chanel Antaeus

D'Orsay Tilleul

Hmm... I think Miel de Bois really does have its fans, but I'm another one who doesn't like it.

Here is a good thread on fragrances with beeswax notes.
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=187782

Just admit you love it and don't try to find a substitute. I am a gigantic fan of Miel de Bois. I love it from start finish at the end of the day. It is truely an intense deep scent and go ahead and love it. You won't be the only one, and in my experience any other gentler and more civilized beeswax will smell like kindergarten in comparison.

Count me in. I love Miel de Bois. Its totally unique.

Shocking has a strong honey note, not sure that it's beeswax though

Shameful crush? Just caught that. Why shameful, Miel de Bois is lovely on the right person and if there were no "right people" it wouldn't still be sold, would it?
    If you love it, wear it!
    Last edited by Zibeline; 14th May 2007 at 04:32 AM.

Since you said slight crush and not mad passion, you might try Chene, Chergui or Bois de Vanille to see if you like them even better. Miel de Bois utterly fails to work on me, but you should ignore my opinion and the infinitely more refined opinions of the Aedes owners if it really brings you joy.

Apparently Feminite du Bois has a beeswax note, and it is the scent that preceeded Lutens' Bois series. It is also cheaper than the SL scents, and easier to get than a bell jar. Worth checking out for sure - it doesn't have the strong beeswax that Miel de Bois does though.

I find I have a similar obsession with Miel de Bois. When it first goes on, I don't like it, but I've learned to be patient and wait for the dry down. Because after that, it lasts and lasts and just smells of pure honey to me. I find that divine, as honey is one of my favourite things to eat anyway, and I could just sit with my nose in a honey jar all day and be perfectly happy (just call me Winnie!). I'm with the others...if you love it, then love it and be done with fighting it. Life is too short to deal with other people's likes and dislikes. Commit to it, and have your love affair. It is, after all, an amazing fragrance.
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

I love Miel de Bois too, but then I seem to have a skin chemistry that de-sweetens a lot of things. Feminite de Bois smells quite sharp on me.
    Arabie definitely has honey but it's also very spicy and although I quite like it, it's not FBW for me.
    What I like about Miel de Bois is that the sweetness is tempered by the woods. It is very woody on my skin. I love it.
    Ava Luxe does a Honey scent also but I haven't tried it. To be honest, I don't feel the need to get another honey scent.

I love both honey and beeswax notes (to my nose, the latter is more similar to the smell of a honey candle) in my perfumes and own quite a few of them, among which Chergui, Botrytis, Arabie, just to mention a few. I tried Miel de Bois once, but had to wash it off and it didn't make it to the drydown - plan to give it another chance though.
    Also Avicenna and Madagascar from the Opulentals line feature a wonderful beeswax note.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

As a beeswax fanatic I come up with a lesser known perfume here:
    It has been composed by Christopher Sheldrake (Lutens' nose) for the company Le Monde En Parfum / Isabel Derroisne and you really smell that!
    It's name is "Le Temps Des Reines" which is meant to evoke an antique Egyptian image. It doesn't list beeswax in the notes, but it's there galore!
    It is strongly related to Feminite Du Bois ans Miel de Bois.

http://www.isabel-derroisne.com/ID/c...oduct_id=56722

Quote Originally Posted by djuna View Post
    Can anyone think of any other fragrances with a prominent beeswax note? I've noticed that a few Lutens have them, though the only one I'm familiar with is Fumerie Turque (and I don't smell any bees in there - just honey and smoke). Are there any beeswax fragrances that you particularly recommend?
    I can't be of much help compared to all the preceding great suggestions, but just in passing the Fumerie Turque beeswax note is prominent, but only after a few hours once the smoke and leather and candy fade. It' sone of my favourites, and when I fonally got a bottle of it, I was surprised by the beeswax taking over, because I didn't even know it was part of the mix at all. Then lo and behold when I looked at reviews, it was indeed what I thought it was. It's one of the few notes that's doesn't make much noise at the party, and doesn't get noticed until after hours, when it's the only one left hanging after everyone else went home!
    Last edited by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR; 14th May 2007 at 07:56 PM.
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    CREED: Chevrefeuille, SMW, BdP, Aventus
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale
    YSL: Vintage M7

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sale Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Loukoumi View Post
    Just admit you love it and don't try to find a substitute.
    Ditto. Another big fan of Miel de Bois here! :wave:
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

I'm another one who adores Miel de Bois... Another one with a great beeswax note is Shiseido - Feminité du Bois.

Definitely have to try this; I like the scent of beeswax so much, I not so long ago spent an insane amount for 2ml bottle of the absolute. It's extremely thick, though, and--not surprisingly--very linear. Miel de Bois sounds like it may be perfect.
    Last edited by mysteriousmongoose; 15th May 2007 at 06:22 PM.

Wow Jazztweety, I'd buy that for the bottle!

Durance has a lovely beeswax/wood room spray which I wear as a perfume. It's called Bois Ciree, and it's available online at http://www.durance.fr/catalog/homeperfumes-p-100.html (it's called Waxed Wood in English). We usually spend at least a weekend in Provence every year, and I stock up on Durance at their little museum/shop in St Remy de Provence when we're there. Their pillow sprays are wonderful as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_in_Black View Post
    I love both honey and beeswax notes (to my nose, the latter is more similar to the smell of a honey candle) in my perfumes and own quite a few of them, among which Chergui, Botrytis, Arabie, just to mention a few. I tried Miel de Bois once, but had to wash it off and it didn't make it to the drydown - plan to give it another chance though.
    Also Avicenna and Madagascar from the Opulentals line feature a wonderful beeswax note.
    The first time I tried Miel de Bois, I had that reaction, but it's definitely worth the wait.
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental View Post

Chanel Antaeus

D'Orsay Tilleul
    Chanel Antaeus. it's drydown - the smell of a burning candle
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Antaeus is my all time favorite and I'd like to think I know the smell of beeswax when it hits me, but yesterday I had the pleasure of testing DSH Parfum de Grasse which is said to feature "a prominent french beeswax note".
    I couldn't say if I smelled it or not because all I could do was be amazed at how the aroma was making me salivate like crazy! It is so strange. It isn't "foody" by any stretch but yet that was my reaction, drool. I'm chalking it up to the beeswax and leaving it at that.

It's good to see so many other Miel du Bois lovers in this thread - and definitely good to see the other options out there. Oddly enough, I don't smell much honey in MdB, even though I do love and wear honey-scented perfumes. I also don't get the cat pee note that so many people have noticed. There's just a very strong, pure smell of beeswax (which is intensely nostalgic for reasons that I can't quite put my finger on) and an oaky base which makes me think of sticking my head inside of a hope chest. Whenever I wear the MdB, I can't stop thinking that there might be a strong caustic or urine smell that I am for some reason not getting.

This is also why I rarely wear Jicky - I never got the "fecal" aspect of it, until I was in a dirty public bathroom and found myself thinking "oh, it smells sort of like Jicky in here!" Also, at one point, I wore it on a hot subway and caught myself thinking mid-ride that a hobo must have entered the car, because there was an unpleasant poopy smell wafting through the air. Then I sniffed myself and - no, again, it's not poo, it's just my Jicky. Shameful. I still wear it in light doses and cold weather because I LOOOVE its top notes and its base.

Anyway. Maybe I'll just wear my MdB in secrecy.
    Last edited by djuna; 16th May 2007 at 12:05 AM.

Favorite Notes:
    Rose, Apricot, Violet, Leather, Iris, Blackberry, Saffron, Musk, Incense

Quote Originally Posted by djuna View Post
    It's good to see so many other Miel du Bois lovers in this thread - and definitely good to see the other options out there. Oddly enough, I don't smell much honey in MdB, even though I do love and wear honey-scented perfumes. I also don't get the cat pee note that so many people have noticed. There's just a very strong, pure smell of beeswax (which is intensely nostalgic for reasons that I can't quite put my finger on) and an oaky base which makes me think of sticking my head inside of a hope chest. Whenever I wear the MdB, I can't stop thinking that there might be a strong caustic or urine smell that I am for some reason not getting.

This is also why I rarely wear Jicky - I never got the "fecal" aspect of it, until I was in a dirty public bathroom and found myself thinking "oh, it smells sort of like Jicky in here!" Also, at one point, I wore it on a hot subway and caught myself thinking mid-ride that a hobo must have entered the car, because there was an unpleasant poopy smell wafting through the air. Then I sniffed myself and - no, again, it's not poo, it's just my Jicky. Shameful. I still wear it in light doses and cold weather because I LOOOVE its top notes and its base.

Anyway. Maybe I'll just wear my MdB in secrecy.
    I'm laughing ruefully, here, because I smell your pain.

I wound up giving away MdB to a lovely young Marocaine, because I had to spend four hours under a rock, befote I could safely surface, when I wore it.

After 4 hours, it smelled amazing-
    But, like most folks, who has 4 hours to kill?

Fortunately I don't get any pee or anything of that ilk, though I do worry that, if I were to wear it on a hot day, I would attract a lot of bees and wasps... More of a winter scent for me I think. Rousse is my summer Lutens.

Having said that, my nose seems particularly attuned to any hint of fecal accord, so I have to be careful with that. Chanel Cuir de Russie smells like someone went into the bathroom to unload, then used air freshener to try and cover up the smell. Unsuccessfully. And Agent Provocatuer, which smells like a slutty woman's sheets to some people, smells like a slutty woman who is into scat.
    I tried Madame X today and there's a definite poop note in that too, but it's very well blended and fades quite quickly into a nice big ambery melange. I like it but it's one of those I'd have to put on and hide for a while before going out.

I am reviving this thread to see if there are any more ideas for good beeswax fragrances. How is the discontinued Tom Ford Moss Breches? Any other recs.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Honey is one of my top fave notes right now. Some I have liked with honey are: Lady Million(lots of honey in that one), Chanel Beige, SL A La Nuit, John Varvatos, Lancome's Hypnose Senses. Ones I want(NEED) to try with honey are: Miel De Bois, Sh. Feminite Du Bois, Fendi Asja, Chergui, L'Artisan's Tea for Two, SL EL Attarine, maybe SL Fumerie Turque, though I am not too keen on tobacco. I just bought a couple samples of Jo Malone's Nectarine Blossom and Honey..see how they go. Forgot to add I also like Armani Code and Elie Saab(similar scents btw).

Top recommendations would be the Lady Million and a great spring/summer scent, Chanel Beige.
    Last edited by kalli; 24th May 2012 at 11:16 AM.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Prairie Nymph by smell bent. Citrus, honey, beeswax, carnations, and allegedly musk, though I can't smell that. It is like honeyed oranges, persistant, it changes but the citrus lasts throughout, I really like it, though have only had to buy the teeny travel sprays because it's very loud. Sprayed this on the youngest daughter once - 2 sprays and it lasted three days, through a shower and everything. It doesn't do that on me, but it is long wearing. The honey is kind of polarizing, one daughter really doesn't like this, but I do.

Basenotes Institution

Francis Kurkdjian's Absolu Pour Le Soir and on the 'natural side ' you could try Roxana Villa's To Bee .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I second Feminite du bois and Tea for two. I would like to add Narciso Rodriguez For her ( it is mainly musk,but with a prominent honeynote in there too) and L'instant de guerlain.

Another tick for the original Feminite du bois. Also, would like to add Chypre Rouge by SL, as it has very prominent beeswax/honey notes on my skin.