Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Recommendations for a GREEN scent..

Hi everyone.
    I'm looking for a green scent to wear during the summer months.
    The ideal scent would be something that smelled of fresh moist lawn clippings...peeled plant stalks...crushed wet leaves...maybe even a few flowers thrown in for good measure and have decent longevity. Doesn't neccessarily have to be a masculine scent.
    A green scent I loved way back, but has since been discontinued, was Gap's Grass. Didn't last too long, but I just LOVED that fresh air and freshly cut grass smell. I've sampled L'Artisan's Navegar and liked it alot.. but after like 40 mins, I could barely detect it on my skin. I've also tried Bond no.9's Gramercy Park and think it is a beautiful scent....but I think I want more green.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    By description alone, I'm really interested in Diptique Philosykos and CDG series 1 LEAVES: Calamus. What are your thoughts on these? Are there any others that you guys would suggest?

Thanks in advance for the help guys.

Peace and light,
    -Teddy

Wink Re: Recommendations for a GREEN scent..

Creed´s Green Irish Tweed or Green Valley or Original Vetiver

Default Re: Recommendations for a GREEN scent..

Great recomendations from Creed there.
    Also Diptiques L'Ombre dans L'Eau comes to mind. I have a few samples of it.
    Also I've been wearing Twill Rose quit a lot lately. It's very green and fresh, but you have to like the rose note for it.

If you're looking for a green, earthy scent, ofcourse a huge possibility of vetiver fragrances come to mind?
    Last edited by eric; 14th May 2007 at 12:33 PM.

Talking Re: Recommendations for a GREEN scent..

Floris JFK
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Frederic Malle Vetiver Ex.
    Thierry Mugler Cologne

Try Miracle Aquatonic; this is one of the most green scents I know.Its underrated but really nice if you like green scents.
    Last edited by sniff; 14th May 2007 at 01:11 PM.

I agree with sniff, go for Miracle Homme L'Aquatonic. It has a lot of the grass clipping note in it, but the duration can be spotty.
    Last edited by MisterK; 14th May 2007 at 01:13 PM.
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

These are my favourite freen frags:

Diptyque Virgilio - very green and herbal, lasts for a long time

Guerlain Sous Le Vent - re-edition of a famous 1930s fragrance. Green and slightly bitter, like crushed leaves, in the drydown some spices. BN's directory labels it as a feminine fragrance, but it's definitely unisex

Gendarme Green - thymes, basil, a cucumber note and the typical clean white musk drydown

Creed Selection Verte - green with a strong citrus accord. Mandarin, lemon, bergamot, mint. One of the best Creeds around.

I don't know so much about grass clippings, but Yang is pretty good as well.
    De gustibus non est disputandum

You asked about Calamus, so I'll describe it.

First of all, it's an amazing scent. Not only does it smell like grass, it smells like the grass of youth-- meaning it's not just the grass you smell when someone else has mown the lawn-- rather it's the wet dewy grass of Saturday morning that you slide on while playing tag or rough-housing with your friends. Or maybe it's you that is mowing the wet grass for money to buy your first electric guitar. It's grass, weeds, stems, and leaves. So clean. Maybe it reminds you of cemetery grass. Actually I find it almost heartbreakingly sentimental, because I feel like I'm 12 again when I smell this.

In the basenotes of Calamus, there is something like chocolate/Count Chocula cereal. Also, this is one that has gotten many positive comments-- plus my brother borrows it often.

There are a lot of excellent green scents out there, but Calamus may be the one that makes me feel the most nostalgic. It doesn't smell a damn thing like a life that has been burdened yet by adulthood. It's a specific outdoors smell, and it doesn't compromise one bit by trying to smell like a "cologne". Still, it's completely wearable. You have to try it.
    Last edited by Indie_Guy; 14th May 2007 at 01:59 PM. Reason: punctuation

CK Truth... fits your criteria exactly

-R

Burberry WEEKEND too.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Greenergy by Givenchy also fits your criteria...low cost, great longevity, sillage a little above "average". Somewhat hard to find, 50 ml bottles are the only new on the market right now.

Cheers,

Mike

Interesting thread. I certainly hope to sample Calamus and Miracle Aquatonic this summer. The latter is easier to get hold of. I vaguely remember Sous le Vent from a time when I respected gender categories religiously, but that impression is too dated to serve as a reference now. I suggest to sample the following:

Sisley, Eau de Campagne - uniscent
    Balmain, Vent Vert- feminine

I notice with interest that BN reviews for E d Campagne have been written mainly by men while Vent Vert seems to be the ladies' favorite. MM Matt's reviews are particularly interesting as he obviously knows both colognes well. Nobody less than Calice Becker has worked on the new edition of Vent Vert. As I find it a little soapy, in the way Mugler's cologne does, my preference shifted to Sisley's last year. But sadly I have used up my tester, and price is the only reason not to run for the bottle!
    Last edited by narcus; 15th May 2007 at 04:20 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Marlen Harisson of "Perfume Critic.com" seems keen on Trophee by Lancome as a green scent. Also second the aforementioned Green Energy by Givenchy.
    Last edited by fraddicted; 14th May 2007 at 11:30 PM.

I love Green, Green Green by Miller et Bertaux, and Guerlain's Aqua Allegoria Herba Fresca. Both are unisex.

No one has mentioned 212! Grass, incense and flowers is what I get from it.

Quote Originally Posted by fraddicted View Post
    Marlen Harisson of "Perfume Critic.com" seems keen on Trophy by Lancome as a green scent. Also second the aforementioned Green Energy by Givenchy.
    I have a miniature of Lancome's Trophée and to my nose there isn't much green, it is all bitter lemon, musk and sugar, lots of sugar.
    Something very similar to other popular 80's fragrants: Armani, Polo and Drakkar noir, a real power scent, bitter sweet and with a heavy sillage.
    I'd rather choose Cacharel pour L'Homme for an 80's "green" fragrant.

My vote goes to Lancome's Miracle L'aquatonic as well...though I haven't, besides Mugler's Cologne, much references.
    I found out that Lancome's L'aquatonic works best for me on warm sunny days, on a light sweaty skin the sharp sugary musky top melts to somehing more creamy and soft and lasts very very long, on my skin that is.
    It is more green than Mugler's Cologne, which has more floral and citrus notes to it.
    Last edited by nout; 14th May 2007 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Added quote to message

CSP Barbier des Isles is my favorite green scent, especially in cooler weather.

^^^ 3 1/2 months later, this is so not true anymore. The heavy clove in BdI now ruins it for me.
    Last edited by PaulSC; 30th August 2007 at 03:19 PM.
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Basenotes Institution

I have smelled Philosykos and found it to be, in my opinion, more about FIG not green.

Calamus, like IndieGuy stated is wonderful - please try it (you can buy a sample from Luckyscent.com). I would add that it not only smells like grass in all its variations - but like tree sap. You know that smell when you break a thin tree limb and the mily sap gets stuck to your hand and dries. That smell. I also find it a very retro/nostalgic scent - however I got no 'Count Chocula' note in it. HIGHLY recommended.

I wore Grass by the Gap and miss it terribly. To get my grass notes I wear:

L'Eau d'Artisan by L'Artisan Parfumeur (pretty good longevity for a L'Artisan scent, I must say)

Green, green, green and green by Miller Bertaux (someone above mentioned this - honestly it smells a lot like Un Jardin de Mediteranee by Hermes...)

Vettiveru (cologne) by Comme de Garcons (very light...the smell of vetiver just shredded to pieces by a weed-eater)

You might also check out a similar thread that just popped up in the Womens Discussion Board last week here: http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=196389

I'd recommend Goodlife by Davidoff. It's full of grass clippings, and a hint of citrus. Reminds me of eating a key lime pie on a freshly-cut lawn. Good stuff, and you can probably find it for cheap!

Off-Scenter

Route du Vetiver by Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier is grass clippings, grass roots, and the soil they've been growing on, to boot.

Yerbamate by Lorenzo Villoresi is green with a remarkable complexity to it. Love it or hate it, but do try it!

Dawn Spencer Hurwitz Essence Oil Bamboo is tropical exotic grass that'll take you to another continent.

diptyque philosykos for freshness, yerbamate by lorenzo villoresi for depth

If only Paul Smith's For Men lasted more...more than a couple of minutes I mean...
    It's never too late to mend.

WARDROBE:http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1256

Guess Man.

My favorites have already been mentioned so I'll just second the recommendations:

Yerbamate by Lorenzo Villoresi
    Eau de Campagne by Sisley

Both are excellent fragrances.

Have you tried Geoffrey Beene's Bowling Green? It has a great green grassy middle note with some dry spices in the dry down. While technically discontinued, it is still widely available and is a bargain.

Gobin Daude, the most beautiful green fragrances ever created with poetic sensibility and botanic feel made of rare natural raw materials . discontinued but can be found every now and then on ebay.

Sous le Buis ( Under the Boxwood)
    Description : Tamed nature, boxwood hedges freshly clipped, softness of barks, warm sun-baked stones...
    Family : Hesperidic, green.
    Contains : galbanum, lavender, sage clary, orange flower...

Sève Exquise ( Exquisite sap)
    Description: A fresh greedy sap, a young resinous bud, sweet leaves ready to spread, promise of spring...
    Family : Green, chypre.
    Contains : orris, poplar bud, liatrix, vetiver...

I will second Miracle Aquatonic (just discovered this under appreciated gem), Givenchy Green Energy, GIT (of course!), Guerlain Vetiver (of course) and will add Hugh Parsons 99 Regent Street.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

I'll throw my favorite grassy fresh frag, Rochas Lui, into the mix.

My SOTD: Great Jones Could last a little longer though...

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Smile Re: Recommendations for a GREEN scent..

corrigenda: I made a bad error, opening the wrong sample when I wrote about Yerbamate, while sniffing at the bottle of Villoresi's other green potion, Spezie, instead. I love them both, and both are green. Spezie is the one with more hay than fresh grass, and includes herbal plants at various stages. I have now replaced several instances of Yerbamate with 'Spezie'. It should be ok now, please forgive !

Rochas, Lui
    Lorenzi Villoresi, Spezie

How could I forget it: Lui is an all time favorite. I like to wear it in the fall. Generally classified as a woody chypre it does have this note of 'Bison grass' which probably makes it so special. I relate Lui to the late summer, early fall season in the northern hemisphere. All uncut grass turns pale and dry, and you know the foilage will soon change colors also. Raw soil seems to add to the darkness of Lui, a fabulous scent!

Less heavy and deep, and not woody at all is Spezie: it creates mainly a picture of hay for me. It also smells like hay turned after the summer rain. The smell of fermenting herb leaves comes up, too. An old 'natural' pharmacy in my town which still decants essential oils smells of all the teas together that people get there against anything from indigestion to smokers cough. It's not simply a pleasant smell, like Indian tea shops might have.. Villoresi must have gone through similar smell experiences in Florence. YSpezie creates a very true picture of natural greens. In a blind test, I would probably guess Comme des Garcons had made that one ! This would be recommendable to any man who does not like to appear perfumed Spezie has something like good olive soap about it! But It can be quite strong.
    Last edited by narcus; 17th May 2007 at 05:17 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

My favourite green is Fahrenheit.

But according to what you listed....
    212 or
    Mugler Cologne or
    Guerlain Vetiver

Smile Re: Recommendations for a GREEN scent..

Thanks for all the replies guys. I really appreciate it.
    (sorry for not replying earlier... I work nights. Just got in a few mins ago.. but have been checking up on the awesome replies by everyone.)

Indie_Guy, your post really hit home for me in more ways than one. I did yard work to save up for my first keyboard when I was 14. I'm an intensely sentimental man. I'll shamefully admit I almost wept tears of reflective happiness at reading your post. Thank you for sharing. It made my day. That, coupled with Mikeperez23's strong second for Calamus, I feel almost 100% positive that this is what I'm looking for. I purchased a bottle of this from Luckyscent. I like CDG's offerings anyway..(especially Carnation) so I think this is a safe bet.

I also got Greenergy (at a great price on ebay)
    and Eau de Campagne (I think I'm going to like the green/vegetal aspect of this.)

Again, thanks for the help guys.

-Teddy
    Last edited by Quixotiq; 15th May 2007 at 06:34 AM. Reason: explanation for slow reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Quixotiq View Post
    Thanks for all the replies guys. I really appreciate it.
    (sorry for not replying earlier... I work nights. Just got in a few mins ago.. but have been checking up on the awesome replies by everyone.)

Indie_Guy, your post really hit home for me in more ways than one. I did yard work to save up for my first keyboard when I was 14. I'm an intensely sentimental man. I'll shamefully admit I almost wept tears of reflective happiness at reading your post. Thank you for sharing. It made my day. That, coupled with Mikeperez23's strong second for Calamus, I feel almost 100% positive that this is what I'm looking for. I purchased a bottle of this from Luckyscent. I like CDG's offerings anyway..(especially Carnation) so I think this is a safe bet.

I also got Greenergy (at a great price on ebay)
    and Eau de Campagne (I think I'm going to like the green/vegetal aspect of this.)

Again, thanks for the help guys.

-Teddy

Hey, I'm glad you liked my description of Calamus. Like I said, there are a lot of awesome green scents out there, but Calamus is just something else. It may resonate with you and it may not-- but I'm betting that it will. You sound like me-- you work nights (as do I), you play keyboards (as do I) and most importantly, your name is Teddy (which is my name, though usually it's just Ted). Too much coincidence!

Let us know how you like Calamus!

Ted(dy)

Talking Re: Recommendations for a GREEN scent..

I just bought Original Vetiver from Creed...this one is sooo clean and fresh...light vetiver and nice citrus...my favorite green scent...if you want something heavier than this is not for you...

How about Chanel No19?

No, wait I'm serious! I think it's a very unisex fragrance, actually far more masc than fem.

Chanel Pour Monsieur is very green too.

Quote Originally Posted by P-Natra View Post
    I just bought Original Vetiver from Creed...this one is sooo clean and fresh...light vetiver and nice citrus...my favorite green scent...if you want something heavier than this is not for you...
    I've tried OV.. didn't have the whole Goldilocks "just right" thing that I was looking for. Didn't last long on me either. (I'm sure it would smell great on someone else though) I've yet to try a Creed besides Angelique Encens that I'd really like. I think I would've liked Verveine Narcisse based on it's notes and reviews, but I don't think they make it anymore (?)
    Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    ....You sound like me-- you work nights (as do I), you play keyboards (as do I) and most importantly, your name is Teddy (which is my name, though usually it's just Ted). Too much coincidence!
    Incredible! lol (nice wardrobe btw)
    Bro, words can't express how excited I am right now. I just got a pm from someone basically echoing your sentiments on Calamus. I can't wait till it arrives. I'll definitely let you know how I like it.

Did anyone mention Gendarme Green?!

As green as you can get!

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

Nino Cerruti Pour Homme

I am still relatively new to BN but I have really enjoyed all the great advise i have received from here. With that being said I would recommend Kiton. I was not sure about this one at first but over the last couple of weeks I have grown to love it! This is one I cannot do without now. Somewhat hard to find though. Bought mine from Nordstrom's website. Good luck.

..UPDATE.. ..UPDATE.. ..UPDATE..

OK guys...
    I finally received all three of the scents I found most interesting based on everyone's recommendations and descriptions.
    Here are my thoughts.

Givenchy - GREENERGY: OK... let me just say that I honestly thought I would like this one based on its bottle design and packaging which happens to be very similar to Insense. Just to be on the safe side, I tried searching for samples or decants of this and couldn't find any anywhere. So I sprung for a 1.7oz bottle from ebay for almost nothing at all. Not a fresh cut grass smell like Basenotes' description says.. more like a decidedly green "cologne-y" type scent. I like the mossy dry down. Not too crazy about it overall but it'll do.. I guess. This lasts really well.

Sisley - EAU de CAMPAGNE: One of the best blind buys to date. Far exceeded my expectation. I REALLY like this. Lime is not listed in its notes... but the opening smells like walking through a lime grove to an open breezy meadow teeming with grass and cruciferous vegetation still wet from the morning's dew. (I'm not crazy about citrus frags in general... but it works here.) From start to amazing dry-down, this is one beautiful scent! To my surprise, the ebay seller I bought this from threw in an 8oz shower gel for free! The shower gel smells fantastic!! For a green scent, this lasts a great while on me with above average projection and sillage. This really puts me in a happy and energetic mood. I know of no other scent that does that for me. I'm glad I purchased the 4.1oz bottle. I think I'm going to be wearing this a lot this summer.

CDG Series 1: Leaves - CALAMUS: Ted, your description was spot on! I got the whole grassyplantstalkyouth thing..... for a little over 20 seconds..and thats it! After that, I got something akin to corrugated cardboard and shredded newspaper... and if I think about it, I get the Count Chocula cereal thing as well. (So THATS what a dried calamus leaf smells like. Who knew! lol.) The funny thing is that its not nearly as bad as it sounds.. and perfectly wearable, but doesn't hang around long enough for you to form an opinion as to whether you really like it or not. I really thought this was going to be my "holy grail" green scent. I guess I can detect the whole "milky leaf" idea this was going for... more like a low res or pixeled facsimile thereof... but imminently interesting nonetheless. Sorta reminds me of a music video by Royksopp called "Eple" where the "viewer" is looking at what is supposed to be real-life surroundings only to find that they are actually looking at a photograph within a photograph within a photograph...
    I had really high hopes for this one. Almost feels like the feeling you get when you get ready to eat your favorite bowl of cereal in the morning only to find out that there's an empty carton of milk in the fridge. (if you've ever lived with roommates at school.. then you know what I'm talking about.) This dries down to almost nothing in a little under an hour on me. After that, I smell nothing at all on my skin. I guess it's my fault. I should've purchased the $3.00 sample from luckyscent and called it a day. I know what you're saying guys.. "try before you buy..try before you buy.. try before you buy!" Lesson learned!

With the exception of Eau de Campagne, I'm still left wanting.

Still open to suggestions,
    -Teddy

Hi everyone.
    By description alone, I'm really interested in Diptique Philosykos and CDG series 1 LEAVES: Calamus. What are your thoughts on these? Are there any others that you guys would suggest?
    Peace and light,
    -Teddy
    yes, I find Calamus very interesting. From the whole Green series I liked this one the best.
    Not sure about longivity. I am testing it from a sample. I think it shouldn't last long
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    Hey, I'm glad you liked my description of Calamus. Like I said, there are a lot of awesome green scents out there, but Calamus is just something else.
    I liked this description either
    Last edited by DreamerII; 23rd May 2007 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post

I notice with interest that BN reviews for E d Campagne have been written mainly by men

Woman here ... eau de Campagne is my 'jogging scent' - dabbing it on gets me out the door even when I'm dragging.

Quote Originally Posted by MVH View Post
    Woman here ... eau de Campagne is my 'jogging scent' - dabbing it on gets me out the door even when I'm dragging.
    Congrats! I think it's very nice for women too!. And I hadn't even thought about jogging because that somehow never fits into my daily routine. It's about time to change that!
    ..UPDATE..
    With the exception of Eau de Campagne, I'm still left wanting.
    -Teddy
    So happy you like Eau de Campgne, Teddy!
    Last edited by narcus; 24th May 2007 at 08:16 PM.

I know this is going to incur the wrath of many Basenotes members, but YSL L'Homme is a very good fresh "green" scent. It is not extraordinarily unique in comparison to others, but it is very recognisable and in my opinion the nicest of the modern fresh/aquatic type of fragrances.

I have Miracle Aquatonic for sale if you would like to try that. PM me if interested.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Guerlain Vetiver

MPG Racine

Creed Feuille Verte, which will be very tough to find unless you are willing to pay big cash.
    It was a limited edition scent.

Cool Re: Recommendations for a GREEN scent..

Hi everyone.
    I'm looking for a green scent to wear during the summer months.
    The ideal scent would be something that smelled of fresh moist lawn clippings...peeled plant stalks...crushed wet leaves...maybe even a few flowers thrown in for good measure and have decent longevity. Doesn't neccessarily have to be a masculine scent.
    A green scent I loved way back, but has since been discontinued, was Gap's Grass. Didn't last too long, but I just LOVED that fresh air and freshly cut grass smell. I've sampled L'Artisan's Navegar and liked it alot.. but after like 40 mins, I could barely detect it on my skin. I've also tried Bond no.9's Gramercy Park and think it is a beautiful scent....but I think I want more green.
    -----------------------------------------------------

Thanks in advance for the help guys.

Peace and light,
    -Teddy
    Teddy:
    I'm a big fan of Creed's ''Forest Greens": Selection Verte, Cypres-Musc and Epicea, in that order.( I haven't tried Fuielle Verte)
    Their mineralic green '48 Vetiver is also splendid for summers.

Other Great frags are CdG's Vettiveru (though somewhat fleeting) Signoricci, Lowe Para Hombre and, of course, Guerlian's Vetiver.

But what you ae really describing is Versace l'Homme !

Check it out

Cheers

Mario
    Last edited by Mario Justiniani; 25th May 2007 at 08:34 AM.
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    So happy you like Eau de Campgne, Teddy!
    Thank you for the recommendation! I also like your description of Villoresi's Spezie. Sounds interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Justiniani View Post
    Teddy:
    I'm a big fan of Creed's ''Forest Greens": Selection Verte, Cypres-Musc and Epicea, in that order.( I haven't tried Fuielle Verte)
    Their mineralic green '48 Vetiver is also splendid for summers.

Other Great frags are CdG's Vettiveru (though somewhat fleeting) Signoricci, Lowe Para Hombre and, of course, Guerlian's Vetiver.

But what you ae really describing is Versace l'Homme !
    Haven't had much luck with Creeds... too "safe" and somewhat dated for my taste I think, but I shall try these when I get a chance. I think I need to find at least one Creed to add to my wardrobe. Vettiveru I might like. You mention it may be fleeting though. The other ones you list sound citrusy. I'm not a big fan of citrusy or aquatic scents.

What I'm really looking for is this: Imagine you've mowed your lawn in the afternoon. That same evening, it rained. The next morning, you pull a handful of wet grass and crumble it in your hand..opening your hand letting the blades of grass fall. Now smell your hand.
    Perhaps a light floral added. I'm thinking tulip.. or hyacinth. Maybe some dirt. (lol I know I'm pushing it here) The emphasis being a predominantly true to life grassy scent. Is there anything close to that description?

Thanks for humoring me guys.

Basenotes Institution

Two things:

Villoresi's Spezie is a remarkable fragrance - it blew me away the first time I smelled it (and it was a gift from a BN with a swap...I think I liked the free sample of Spezie better than what I originally swapped for!). However - I do NOT think of Spezie as a 'green' scent. To me its about cinnamon/carnations and light vetiver/plant stalks. I see No. 88 in your wardrobe - to me they share that same 'fine gentleman' fragrance with cutting edge complexities. I love that combo. Please try this.

I had no idea that Jean Claude Ellena was the nose behind Eau de Campagne - the Sisley you bought blind and like. Interesting....now I really want to smell it.

..UPDATE.. ..UPDATE.. ..UPDATE..

OK guys...
    I finally received all three of the scents I found most interesting based on everyone's recommendations and descriptions.
    Here are my thoughts.

Givenchy - GREENERGY: OK... let me just say that I honestly thought I would like this one based on its bottle design and packaging which happens to be very similar to Insense...
    So you have tried Insensé and this doesn't do it for you? If so, how would you like Insensé to be different?

It sounds like you've uncovered a winner in the Sisley scent, which is now on my own radar.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Versace's Green Jeans. Despite the almost cartoonish marketing of the Jeans' line of scents, several of them are really well done, including Green Jeans. This is described in a Directory review as "...a forest full of pines with an isolated herb garden and the odd citrus tree growing in the middle of it..." [randumbsmellyguy] and this characterizes the top- and mid-notes well. Green Jeans also has a solid, pleasing, and long-lasting drydown, however, featuring sandalwood, red pine, and oakmoss. I think that Green Jeans is a real sleeper.

Quote Originally Posted by wicozani View Post
    So you have tried Insensé and this doesn't do it for you? If so, how would you like Insensé to be different?
    I think Insensé is fantastic! I wouldn't want it any other way. Vibrant, sharp, and unique,(and getting really hard to find these days) it is a favorite springtime floral I can't seem to live without.
    Theres something in Greenergy that smells slightly aquatic to me thats throwing me off a bit. (I have a strong dislike for aquatics) Smells like an average sport scent...blah blah blah.... and straight to my swaplist.

Eau de Campagne satisfies me completely! Please try it.

I agree with you on the Versace Jeans scents... although I can't remember trying Green Jeans. I remember not being impressed with any of those except Black Jeans, which I owned at one time. I will have to try/revisit Green Jeans.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Villoresi's Spezie is a remarkable fragrance - it blew me away the first time I smelled it (and it was a gift from a BN with a swap...I think I liked the free sample of Spezie better than what I originally swapped for!). However - I do NOT think of Spezie as a 'green' scent. To me its about cinnamon/carnations and light vetiver/plant stalks. I see No. 88 in your wardrobe - to me they share that same 'fine gentleman' fragrance with cutting edge complexities. I love that combo. Please try this.
    Will do! The only other Villoresi creation I've tried being Piper Nigrum, (which I like) I can't wait to try it.

Basenotes Institution

Wore Calamus today (for the 2nd time) and it is quite distinctive and unique.

The 'sap' note of Calamus I've never encountered - like you said Teddy 'milky' and 'vegetal' without smelling dirty at all. A very clean sap note. I got no 'Count-Chocula' or cardboard/newspaper notes. It lasted about 4-5 hours on me (I applied about 10 sprays) which is about the time most L'Artisan scents last on me. Which works for me.

I'm glad I was able to smell it again. I like.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 12th June 2007 at 08:49 PM.

I'd recommend "bobby jones" and one of the MEXX perfumes which I don't remember it's name exactly.

I would like to recommend you Private Collection (Estée Lauder) in the woman's section...
    Very GREEN!

I'll also suggest CDG Vettiveru. It's a very earthy vetiver. Has that dirt aspect you want.

But I REALLY wanted to suggest Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne. Hit up the website and ask for a free sample. They'll send one out. This is the most amazing green scent I've ever wore in my opinion. It's a great scent and I feel great when I put it on.

I'm gonna have to try Eau de Campgne though...

Quote Originally Posted by Valnum View Post
    I would like to recommend you Private Collection (Estée Lauder) in the woman's section...
    Very GREEN!
    ...sounds REALLY interesting, but I don't know..(scratches head and looks at notes) hyacinth, rose, narcissus and jasmine? Not sure that I can pull this off...I'm thinking it might be too "pretty", but I'd love to smell it.

I've had to do a complete about face with Givenchy - Greenergy. I have to admit that I totally wrote this off as soon as pressed the spray button, due largely in part to smelling Eau de Campagne just minutes earlier. The best way I can put it is like this: EDC is like imagining the most beautiful verdant countryside totally undisturbed and uninterrupted by man and modern technology. Greenergy is the same countryside that has now been turned into a commercial property.. with telephone poles..cellular and water towers..
    (You feel me?)
    Greenergy has its own merits too though. I think it is aptly named. I can almost sense an electric undercurrent to this fragrance when I wear it. I think of electronic music... mainly minimal techno (which I like). You sorta feel this groovy 4/4 bed-track that becomes locked onto your skin at about 120-128 bpm.. then gradually, it builds up adding percussive elements and off-beat accents which sound real, but are actually digital recordings which have been sampled, filtered, pitched and pressed to vinyl to be layered with any track in the same format. There's something about it that seems new... and something about it that seems strangely familiar.. and whether you like techno or not, you just can't help nodding your head or patting your feet to the beat. This to me, is Greenergy.

I now have Philosykos and Un Jardin Sur le Nil added to my summer line-up. Both of which I bought blind.
    I LOVE Philosykos. It reminds me of the opening to L'Artisan's Premier Figuier Extreme.. but sustained. PF looses its freshness and becomes too sweet and powdery for me. Philosykos maintains it's freshness almost on to the drydown.
    Un Jardin Sur le Nil is OWNING me! I can't get enough of this. Four days in a row now and.. counting. I've read wear others are having longevity issues, but this lasts on me for hours and hours. This fragrance is PERFECT for summer.

I have samples of Spezie and Miller et Bertaux - GGG&G on the way....

-Teddy
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiritussancti View Post
    I'll also suggest CDG Vettiveru. It's a very earthy vetiver. Has that dirt aspect you want.

But I REALLY wanted to suggest Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne. Hit up the website and ask for a free sample. They'll send one out. This is the most amazing green scent I've ever wore in my opinion. It's a great scent and I feel great when I put it on.

I'm gonna have to try Eau de Campgne though...
    Almost forgot...a decant of Vettiveru is on its way too. (thanks Mikeperez23!) Can't wait to try it.

I've been quite interested in Ormonde Jayne frags lately... I'll do as you suggest. Thank you.

Wow... you guys are REALLY great. From the bottom of my heart, thanks SO MUCH for all your friendly and helpful input. <3 <3 <3
    Last edited by Quixotiq; 19th June 2007 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Basenotes Institution

...sounds REALLY interesting, but I don't know..(scratches head and looks at notes) hyacinth, rose, narcissus and jasmine? Not sure that I can pull this off...I'm thinking it might be too "pretty", but I'd love to smell it.
    I own Private Collection (the parfum) - I love it. But, I don't think of it as a green scent (although Valnum is not the first person that I have heard describe it as a green scent).

It is VERY feminine. I have never worn it out of my house...I wear it only at home. It's really pretty and most of the time its on me, I end up sniffing myself - it smells so good. But I love it for its freshness and strong florals - not for its 'green' properties.

A recent discovery for me is Dawn Spencer Hurwitz's Menthe Moderne, which is possibly the most beautiful "green" scent I've ever experienced. I want to recommend it to mikeperez23 in particular, since I know he's a fan of Ava Luxe Absinthe. That's the closest comparison scent I can think of.

I had a sample of the Ava Luxe fragrance, and I liked it but found it possibly a bit too dry and minimalist. (In fact, I only sampled it as a way of "checking out the competition" before purchasing L'Artisan's Fou d'Absinthe, which is more gourmand than green to my nose, so I was measuring it against very particular criteria.) Anyway, the DSH fragrance resembles the Ava Luxe: both are centered on an intense, unsweetened mint note. Supporting notes in the DSH (mostly citrus and cedar, according to the official list of notes) add both sharpness and roundness, giving it a complexity I feel the Ava Luxe scent lacks. Longevity is very good if you apply generously. (I bought the 1 oz. EDP; DSH sells 1/4 oz. EPD purse sprays for $23, which I think of as intermediate between a sample and a full-fledged blind buy...)
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSC View Post
    A recent discovery for me is Dawn Spencer Hurwitz's Menthe Moderne, which is possibly the most beautiful "green" scent I've ever experienced. I want to recommend it to mikeperez23 in particular, since I know he's a fan of Ava Luxe Absinthe. That's the closest comparison scent I can think of.

I had a sample of the Ava Luxe fragrance, and I liked it but found it possibly a bit too dry and minimalist. (In fact, I only sampled it as a way of "checking out the competition" before purchasing L'Artisan's Fou d'Absinthe, which is more gourmand than green to my nose, so I was measuring it against very particular criteria.) Anyway, the DSH fragrance resembles the Ava Luxe: both are centered on an intense, unsweetened mint note. Supporting notes in the DSH (mostly citrus and cedar, according to the official list of notes) add both sharpness and roundness, giving it a complexity I feel the Ava Luxe scent lacks. Longevity is very good if you apply generously. (I bought the 1 oz. EDP; DSH sells 1/4 oz. EPD purse sprays for $23, which I think of as intermediate between a sample and a full-fledged blind buy...)
    Thanks Paulsc - I've heard about the DSH line but never sniffed any. It sounds much more complex than Absinthe by Ava Luxe a.k.a. the Nostril Clearer. Will keep my nose to the ground on the Menthe Moderne. I love the name. Sounds like a Yves St. Laurent lipstick shade.