Code of Conduct

Thread: Rose

Default Rose

I am a great lover of rose scents- I love Paris as I love rose scents that are elegant, romantic but also sexy. Does anyone else have any favourite perfumes with rose notes?

Default Re: Rose

Serge Lutens Sa Majestie la Rose is one of the finest and most accurate roses I've sniffed.
    A lighter but no less lovely rose is Penhaligons Elizabethan Rose. This only comes in an EDT but it is stunning.
    For an earthier rose, I recommend Opulentals Absolue de Rose, which is made by one of our own board members, Jazztweety. This one has a really rich, organic feel to it. You can order samples from www.opulentals.com
    And well, I do like and own the Rose Angel, which is a lovely rose version of Angel (although if you don't like Angel you can forget that one).

I keep a list of these, since I have a sister in law who pretty much only wears rose perfumes:

-Rosamor by Oscar de la Renta
    -Fresh Index Bulgarian Rose
    -Kenzo Flower (Bulgarian rose is a key note)
    -Henri Bendel Rose Petals
    -Rose Angel
    -Baby Doll by YSL
    -Stella McCartney's Stella
    -Tocca's Florence
    -L'Occitane's La Vie en Rose
    -Valentino Rock 'n' Rose
    -Keiko Mecheri Damascena
    --------------------------------------
    Oh, yes!

And Bvlgari Rose Essentielle is awesome!
    Last edited by Kotori; 12th May 2007 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    And he whose soul is flat -- the sky
    Will cave in on him by and by.

—from "Renascence" by Edna St. Vincent Millay

Great list, Kotori!

I have tried about half of them, and the one I own is Stella by Stella McCartney, so that is the one I am secounding. It has a deep and beautiful rose-note on my skin.
    Last edited by Margareta; 12th May 2007 at 04:13 PM.
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, L´Heure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.

I also love rose fragrances, although I don't own many. I really like Stella a lot but I love Bulgari Rose Essentielle.

Creed's Fleur de The Rose Bulgare is totally spellbinding (albeit very expensive!) - definitely the best rose perfume ever.
    Also love Santa Maria Novella's Rose Eau de Cologne.
    Les parfums de Rosine website is where you need to browse too.

I'm seconding Sa Majeste La Rose. Tried Jo Malone's Red Roses today and that's rather decent too. Also (and this is possibly less well known) Pecksniff's do a rose fragrance that's accurate, and possibly cheaper than the others. For me, Sa Majeste is the ultimate rose fragrance.
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

And Ava Luxe has three beauties - Bohemian Rose, Roses and Tea Rose. Samples are only a couple of bucks and you owe yourself a visit to her site anyway!!
    www.ava-luxe.com.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

My favorite roses are

Fleur de the Rose Bulgare -- rich and full blown deep red rose. Powerful and long lasting.
    Elizabethan Rose -- young white/pink rose, sunny with citrus top. Lighter, but long lasting.
    Rose Essentielle --beautiful rose/violette. Short lasting....but I don't care! Must have it!
    Rosarium (Shesiedo) -- a rose bouquet. So realistic, and encompasses white, pink, red...average lasting.

These are all a delight! They are special fragrances, beyond the bulgarian rose absolute note.
    I have Shesiedo Rose Royale which is made with centiflora rose absolute from Grasse that I like for a change of pace--it's very different. Very light, very clean and fresh.
    Please, spritz responsibly.

Indiscreet, no I am not a fan of Angel, alas. I have been dying to try Sa Majestie la Rose for ages now though.

Hi Kotori- this is a great list. I love Stella- both the original and Rose Absolute. However, although I love pure rose scents, I am not a huge fan of Bvlgari Rose Essentielle- it undeniably pretty and beautifully made but I find it a little to simple to keep my nose- and skin- entertained. I like something more sensual.

Shycat- thank you for your rose-break down, too. I adore really old-fashioned deep red roses. Ones that have been growing on the fence of an old cottage for years, with blooms so ripe that are practically lolling over. However, I also adore the delicacy of white roses.
    Oh, I forgot to mention before- I love Les parfums de Rosine website. The only problem is, I cannot decide which perfume I want to try- they all seem exquisite. On my shortlist are:

Rose De Feu
    Une Folie De Rose
    Rose D'amour
    La Rose De Rosine

Does anyone have any descriptions/comments regarding any of the above?
    Last edited by Peachlove; 13th May 2007 at 06:45 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thumbs up Re: Rose

I've been getting into the 'deeper' roses other than Paris also - and some gems I've found are:

Creed - Fleur The Rose Bulgare - Beautiful and deep rose, and lasts for ages!
    Brosseau - Ombre' Rose - A real powder rose. Not to everyone's taste, but I love it!
    Montale - Black Aoud - Patchouli and rose that hits you between the eyes. I like to layer with the Creed.
    Montale - Queen Roses Aoud - Very similar to the Black - but not as 'goth' or 'earthy'.
    Bvlgari - Rose Essentielle - a very sweet, dew drenched rose with a posy of violets to back it up. Nice, but not earth shattering.
    Guerlain - Nahema - Roses, cream and peaches or passionfruit?. A delight and very sexy.

I have a number of roses that I find are quite different. Crown Marechale, a lovely rich, spicy rose, Annick Goutal's Rose Absolue for the truest rose, Agent Provocateur for a soft, cold-cream rose, L'Ombre dans l'Eau for a fruity, blackberry rose. I like all the Paris summer editions for a pretty girly rose. Serge Luten's Majeste is also a cheerful rose. Stella doesn't work on my skin, and neither does the Lancome Mille et Une Rose, which doesn't even smell like rose to me after the first 2 minutes.

Ombre Rose I love, but it isn't a rose scent to me - it is a geranium. I think the word 'rose' in it means pink, because I found an actual rose Ombre Rose in Roja Dove's, one of the "fleurs d'Ombre' range, which includes Jasmin Lilas and Violette Menthe. I have never seen it anywhere else and I have to say I didn't like it at all; a very boring and artificial rose that didn't somehow smell properly blended.

My new favourite rose is one of those oils produced in the middle East, and I have no idea what it is called or who the perfume house is, as it is all in Arabic (and in my experience El Haramain normally have their name at least in English). I got it on Ebay for pennies from someone who had been given it in Bahrain. It is a mixture of real Oud and rose, with a bit of sandalwood, and it is simply superb; the quality of the rose is excellent, as I find some of these Arabian Attars can go sour on the skin after a while, and this one does not at all. I think it is meant to be a man's fragrance, judging from the box and bottle, and it does in fact smell superb on my husband! I will try to find an Arabic speaker and see if I can find out what it is.... I would love to try some of the Montales to compare it with, because the mixture of oud and rose is divine!

Nutmeg, what a gorgeous story and perfume discovery! I love it when things happen like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumoosh View Post
    I've been getting into the 'deeper' roses other than Paris also - and some gems I've found are:

Creed - Fleur The Rose Bulgare - Beautiful and deep rose, and lasts for ages!
    Brosseau - Ombre' Rose - A real powder rose. Not to everyone's taste, but I love it!
    Montale - Black Aoud - Patchouli and rose that hits you between the eyes. I like to layer with the Creed.
    Montale - Queen Roses Aoud - Very similar to the Black - but not as 'goth' or 'earthy'.
    Bvlgari - Rose Essentielle - a very sweet, dew drenched rose with a posy of violets to back it up. Nice, but not earth shattering.
    Guerlain - Nahema - Roses, cream and peaches or passionfruit?. A delight and very sexy.
    Gumoosh, where do you find the montale? Thanks.
    Last edited by Peachlove; 14th May 2007 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Blog Entries

:crawls out of woodwork:

I do not consider myself a rose aficianado by any means but I do have quite a few rose centered scents. I tend to favour rose 'soliflores' most in summer but have many favourites that are great all year round.

Favourites from my Rose collection includes:

Crabtree & Evelyn Evelyn
    Crabtree & Evelyn Rosewater Eau Fraiche
    Crabtree & Evelyn Evelyn Rose
    Crabtree & Evelyn Damask Rose
    Crown Perfumery Marechale
    Penhaligons Elizabethan Rose
    YSL Paris
    Crown Perfumery Crown Rose
    Yves Rocher Rose Absolue - cross between YR Rose Ispahan & SL Sa Majeste de Rose
    Coty L'Aimant PdT - classic aldehydic powdery rose with a sexy troublant musk / sandalwood base. Smells like a more complex expensive version of LV Musk when worn in summer heat.
    Chopard Madness - gorgeous boozy fruity and spicy rose scent.
    Gres Cabaret
    Yves Rocher Rose Ispahan - fruity almost candied boozy rose and patchouli blend
    Paco Rabanne La Nuit - dry roses and leather scent.
    Vivienne Westwood Anglomania - effervescent fruity rose and leather blend
    Guerlain Nahema
    Lorenzo Villoresi Musk - this is a bright powdery rose with a sexy slightly animalic woody musk base.
    Serge Lutens Sa Majeste de Rose
    TBS Cassis Rose - long lasting layered with YR Rose Absolue
    Ava Luxe Rasa / Rasa Xtreme - more musk with rose than rose with musk but a very sexy rose none the less!
    Caron Parfum Sacre - rose, vanilla and myrrh
    Hermes Rouge - rose and myrrh
    Ava Luxe Incense Rose - sharp fresh spring rose with oude base. Can turn powdery. Original blend perfect in warm, summer weather.
    TBS Tea Rose - wonderful true tea rose lush laced with geranium for green fresh note. Lasts all day. Great in summer heat.
    Caron Coup de Fouet - a strongly peppered rose with carnation. Very distinctive.
    L'Artisan Voleur de Roses - this is the base of the rose bush, fresh mulch and all! Amazing patchouli, plum and rose combo. I layer with YR Rose Ispahan or Rose Absolue to play up the rose and fruit elements.
    Crabtree & Evelyn Nadira - powdery rose floral similar to Coty L'Aimant but less aldehydic with the delicious summery gardenia.
    Ralph Lauren Romance - sharp fresh rose dominated floral. Feminine, light but fleeting. Best in spring and summer heat.

Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Quote Originally Posted by Margareta View Post
    Great list, Kotori!

I have tried about half of them, and the one I own is Stella by Stella McCartney, so that is the one I am secounding. It has a deep and beautiful rose-note on my skin.
    Thanks! You can probably tell I've shopped for rose perfumes before, eh?
    And he whose soul is flat -- the sky
    Will cave in on him by and by.

—from "Renascence" by Edna St. Vincent Millay

Basenotes Institution

My favorite rose scent is honestly not 'elegant, romantic and sexy' - its Rose Poivree by The Different Company, by the master himself Jean Claude Ellena.

Therefore, I agree with the above recommendation of Sa Majeste la Rose by Serge Lutens - quite like the experience of sticking your nose in a large rose and inhaling. Breathtaking. Very elegant, romantic and sexy.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 14th May 2007 at 05:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    My favorite rose scent is honestly not 'elegant, romantic and sexy' - its Rose Poivree by The Different Company, by the master himself Jean Claude Ellena.

Therefore, I agree with the above recommendation of Sa Majeste la Rose by Serge Lutens - quite like the experience of sticking your nose in a large rose and inhaling. Breathtaking. Very elegant, romantic and sexy.
    Sounds divine. I adore the scent of fresh roses.

Caron Parfum Sacre is like rose talc with a little spice.

Caron Rose is rose with musk and really beautiful.

Caron N'Aimez Qui Moi rose and violets

Caron Or et Noir like rose turkish delight yummy.

Creed The Le Rose is like a bouquet of fresh roses.
    DONNA

Diptyque's L'Ombre Dans L'Eau is one of my favorites - there's a very green smell at the top, exactly like a wet garden in summer, and then it opens up into black currants and roses. It's not at all sweet, but it is a very real and true rose scent, and after an hour it loses all the sharpness and begins to smell a bit jammy.

I also really love Bois de Paradis - gorgeous, deep, sexy, spicy rose. I really can't think of any more sensual perfume out there - it makes me think of deep plush red velvet. My boyfriend loves it too, although he says it reminds him of "camping," probably because of all the cedar.

POTL A.Maze is a worthwhile rose, too - very deep and fresh and true. I can't think of much to say about it, because it's pretty simple, but the rose note is quite nice.

Favorite Notes:
    Rose, Apricot, Violet, Leather, Iris, Blackberry, Saffron, Musk, Incense