Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Alternative to Rasa? Favourite musks here!

OK, so this musk-shy maiden has finally come around to liking the stuff...at least, some of it...and would like your recommendations.

Ava Luxe Rasa was a real break through musk for me, and I would definitely be investing in a bottle were it not for the fact that something in it (probably the tolu balsam) brings me out in a rash. So I'm looking for something equally animalic to satisfy my skank craving.

Any favourite musks for me to try? I have Musc Ravageur already and have also tried and liked L'Air de Rien, although not sure I love it enough to invest in a full bottle, given I already have a very nice amber (Ambre Sultan) in my collection (thinking about it though).

Tabac Blond I like, but I don't find very skanky. It's more a leather/tobacco scent to me. And Kingdom just smelled like faintly musty lemons.

Also, I don't go a bundle on fecal notes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Alternative to Rasa? Favourite musks here!

Quote Originally Posted by Indiscreet View Post
    OK, so this musk-shy maiden has finally come around to liking the stuff...at least, some of it...and would like your recommendations.

Ava Luxe Rasa was a real break through musk for me, and I would definitely be investing in a bottle were it not for the fact that something in it (probably the tolu balsam) brings me out in a rash. So I'm looking for something equally animalic to satisfy my skank craving.

Any favourite musks for me to try? I have Musc Ravageur already and have also tried and liked L'Air de Rien, although not sure I love it enough to invest in a full bottle, given I already have a very nice amber (Ambre Sultan) in my collection (thinking about it though).

Tabac Blond I like, but I don't find very skanky. It's more a leather/tobacco scent to me. And Kingdom just smelled like faintly musty lemons.

Also, I don't go a bundle on fecal notes.
    LOL! Indiscreet you a crazee lady! :bounce:

You are asking for skanky musks but say that you don't go a bundle on fecal notes... well make your mind up lady - which is it gonna be? Trust me the best skanky musks feature a significant dirrty, usually animalic, note.

Even your newly beloved Rasa features a significant civet note (read fecal)!!!

OK, I'll stop messing now.

I do understand what you mean... you want warm, sexy and only slightly dirrty musk rather than anything that smells like it needs a wash.

May I recommend you try:

Ava Luxe Kama - hopefully it is just the Rasa blend and not all Ava Luxe perfumes that you are sensitive to...
    Kiehls Original Musk #1
    Nemat Musk Superior
    TBS Mostly Musk
    TBS Japanese Musk
    Lentheric Just Musk Cologne (vintage)
    Revlon Intimate Musk
    Lorenzo Villoresi Musk
    Vivienne Westwood Boudoir
    Coty L'Aimant PdT
    Coty Wild Musk
    Serge Lutens Clair du Musc - quite innocent, simple elegant musk usually but, especially in warmer weather or on warm skin, a shadow of the of the sexy animalic musk that is the main player in the infamous MKK.
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, putting it bluntly, armpits are fine, but not bottoms.

I dabbed on some Kama Xtreme today - there is a definite poop note there which is not that appealing (think I might be better off with Kama maybe) but the dry down is nice. I still prefer Rasa though, and just annoyed about the rash (there's no tolu balsam in Kama so I don't think there will be a problem). Will try the Kama Xtreme properly again later in the week when I'm not covered in Rousse.

What I'm trying to avoid is there are certain types of perfume which remind me of when you clear up cat (or other) poopy and get some on your hands, then scrub and scrub with floral soap and your hands now smell of flowers, but the poopy smell is still lurking there in the background. Agent Provocateur is like this for me. And actually, I get a real poop note from Cuir de Russie (Chanel) of all things.
    I have other things with civet in that are fine, though, like Bandit.

What I'm trying to avoid is there are certain types of perfume which remind me of when you clear up cat (or other) poopy and get some on your hands, then scrub and scrub with floral soap and your hands now smell of flowers, but the poopy smell is still lurking there in the background
    You really have a poetic talent
    My favourite musk is Kiehl's Musk in EdT, but that's, em, quite human.
    A nice soapy and clean must is "Eau de Musc Blanc" by RancÚ, it's very similar to Clair de Musc.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been craving musks lately and I've hauled out my wardrobe of oils and placed some orders with DSH, Ava-luxe, Nemat, and Escentials. I'm looking forward to the treasures arriving.
    In the meantime I'm enjoying "skanky" Kiehl's Musk Oil layered over Auric Blends Amber.
    I'm also loving Madini's Musk Gazelle and Attar Bazaar's Medina Musk.
    I tried Madini's Black Musk, but all I got from it was camphor.
    I'm also a fan of the "lighter" musks and currently love Attar Bazaar's Egyptian Musk (my SOTD), Tunisian White Musk, and Sweet Musk (fabulous at bed time).
    I think my DSH order will be arriving today and I can't wait to start my sniffathon!

Axa Luxe has heaps of musks you could sample, then try layering a rose fragrance with the musk you like, hopefully you'll get a nice musky rose scent that's similar to Rasa.

Kiehl's is a good stinky human musk. TBS White Musk is also a pretty, sweet, light musk. I use both for layering purposes. (TBS is good with SL Fleurs d'Oranger, Kiehl's is lovely with Passage d'Enfer.) L'Artisan can do a good musk when they want to. I like the (light, sweet, skin-scented) musk in Mure et Musc, but I usually wear the slightly sweatier, spicier Extreme version.

Favorite Notes:
    Rose, Apricot, Violet, Leather, Iris, Blackberry, Saffron, Musk, Incense

Post Thanks / Like

I tried some Love's True Bluish Light yesterday evening...I could still smell it this morning. In fact it lasted a three mile run and a bath!