Code of Conduct

Default fake Acqua Di Gio?

Are there fakes of this cologne?

After all these years, I bought a bottle of of Gio through the auction site. I just got it today and it doesnt smell right. The bottle seems aged, rusty, and it has a weird sour odor smell. The juice even leaks out a bit through the spray button. Either its a fake, or the bottle is badly ruined.
    What do you guys think?

BTW: is there anyway to check the production date of Gio?

Default Re: fake Acqua Di Gio?

go to a local store and test their bottle with yours. if they smell the same, there you go. if not, i would be mad.

I received a bottle of Kouros through a swap and the bottle and sprayer are just like you described. It looks like it was either thrown out of a moving car, or it just had a really hard time in the mail. However, the juice is legit.

I would follow the above advice and sample a few sprays at a local store. That is a pretty sure way of knowing if it is the real deal.
    You are not your perfume.

Quote Originally Posted by dple View Post
    Are there fakes of this cologne?

After all these years, I bought a bottle of of Gio through the auction site. I just got it today and it doesnt smell right. The bottle seems aged, rusty, and it has a weird sour odor smell. The juice even leaks out a bit through the spray button. Either its a fake, or the bottle is badly ruined.
    What do you guys think?

BTW: is there anyway to check the production date of Gio?
    there are fakes of many perfumes.... i `ve seen a lot,.. almost the same bottle,.. the same box,.. but obviously who know the real fragance wont buy those fakes....

and i wonder, where did u buy it ??? ? ?
    Last edited by omniray; 15th May 2007 at 05:07 AM.

I'm sure there are fakes of it out there. It is one of the best selling colognes, and there is a lot of counterfitting going on in Asia right now. Ebay is the biggest seller of counterfit goods on the planet, and I'm guessing you got it from there.

I just bought a fake SMW from ebay, the seller told me to prove it was fake. So I emailed a photo of the bottle to Creed's US store but never heard back. When I contacted ebay about it they said it was between me and the seller. Ebay doesn't care if you get ripped off, because they still get their cut if it real or fake
    "Society honors its living conformists and its dead troublemakers."
    Mignon McLaughlin

There are for sure a lot of fake fragrances on the market. They even use the same scent in it. Probably it is not natural but synthetic or they use very small amount of it that it doesn't last that long. They also have cheap fakes that smells like something different. Once I bought a few fake fragrancs to test: Fahrenheit, Issey Miake and some other that I can't remember. Fahreneit was good. Almost the same smel but 30 minutes later there was nothing to smell. It was more like a water with a little alcohol and scent in it. Issey Miyake was very terrible. Most of the time you can see that the text and letters on the box or on the bottle are not very crisp. When you crab on the text the paint chips off. The bottle doesn't give you the feeling that it was very solide and strong. The cap looks and feels cheap. The spray head and the ring below looks cheap and not classy. But nowadays they fake even the box and bottle so well that I have difficulties to find out if it is fake or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Bytebuster View Post
    There are for sure a lot of fake fragrances on the market. They even use the same scent in it. Probably it is not natural but synthetic or they use very small amount of it that it doesn't last that long. They also have cheap fakes that smells like something different. Once I bought a few fake fragrancs to test: Fahrenheit, Issey Miake and some other that I can't remember. Fahreneit was good. Almost the same smel but 30 minutes later there was nothing to smell. It was more like a water with a little alcohol and scent in it. Issey Miyake was very terrible. Most of the time you can see that the text and letters on the box or on the bottle are not very crisp. When you crab on the text the paint chips off. The bottle doesn't give you the feeling that it was very solide and strong. The cap looks and feels cheap. The spray head and the ring below looks cheap and not classy. But nowadays they fake even the box and bottle so well that I have difficulties to find out if it is fake or not.
    Agreed. I have seen Grade A copies and their boxes look like genuine products. Most sellers said they are made in Hong Kong, while Grade B in Singapore (this I can tell that it's fake right away). And Grade B costs you just USD2.8 for a 100-ml bottle. I wonder why they bother to fake it for so cheap a price! I wonder how much is the real cost of the juice, packaging and the bottle. It's too cheap!
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Someone in the grey market told me that professional forgery is a big business in Eastern Europe. They simply do a spectral analysis of a perfume, recreate it as cheaply as possible (it usually smells very genuine in the top, then it sort of fades out). They do pretty good jobs on Fahrenheit bottles andf packaging and I even saw a fake dior homme - they managed to reproduce that metal funnel inside the bottle, albeit somewhat crookedly. That guy was certain that 90% of Fahrenheit, Gio, Chanel and other big sellers on ebay Germany are fakes - especially when offered out of Poland, Hungary, Romania etc. (he was Eastern European himself, so no ethnic prejudice there). And we all know about Green Frch Tweed. It's actually much safer to buy obscure niches on ebay, since large scale forgery is economically pointless here.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

oh well, the seller is being responsible about it. He told me to send the "faulty unit" back to get refund, as I did yesterday. I'm gonna stick with Macys and Nordstrom from now on, or get them from basenotes guys. I've always liked Gio despite its popularity, but this experience has made me feel horrible about Gio. I guess I still cant get over the horrible odor smell of the fake bottle.