Code of Conduct
Just Starting Out Sponsor

Default Bois du Portugal

I know, I know, its getting warmer but I wore Bois du Portugal today. What a glorious scent IMHO. I haven't smelled Old Spice in probably 10 years at least but I can't imagine the two are anything alike. Does Bois du Portugal really smell like Old Spice?
    I have read in Plato and Cicero sayings that are wise and very beautiful; but I have never read in either of them: Come unto me all ye that labor and are heavy laden.'' --Saint Augustine

“Hastiness and superficiality are the psychic diseases of the twentieth century, and more than anywhere else this disease is reflected in the press.”--Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Default Re: Bois du Portugal

I used to steal my dads Old Spice when I was a kid, and I don't think BdP smells like old spice at all. I got a sample and ordered a bottle last week, great stuff. I haven't tried a Creed I disliked yet.
    "Society honors its living conformists and its dead troublemakers."
    Mignon McLaughlin

I used to use my big brother's Old Spice.

And I love Bois du Portugal. Not they are not the same, Bois is much drier and spicey.
    DONNA
    Currently wearing: Y by Yves Saint Laurent

So who actually claimed they were similar (which, as has been pointed out, they are not) ?
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    So who actually claimed they were similar (which, as has been pointed out, they are not) ?
    In the reviews for it, there are a few people who said they thought it smelled like old spice.
    "Society honors its living conformists and its dead troublemakers."
    Mignon McLaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by The_Monkey View Post
    In the reviews for it, there are a few people who said they thought it smelled like old spice.
    It's a bizarre claim all right! No they smell nothing alike, nothing at all. The only thing that smells like BdP is Patou pour Homme, and that is discontnued.
    There are people to whom the truth of language does not matter — they are known as liars.

You know, I actually am finding that BdP works great in warm weather. (maybe even better!) The fragrance opens up more and as long as you don't overdo it (which is very easy to do), you'll be ok. It is great at night, outside, in slighly humid weather.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Quote Originally Posted by Eluard View Post
    It's a bizarre claim all right! No they smell nothing alike, nothing at all. The only thing that smells like BdP is Patou pour Homme, and that is discontnued.
    Eluard, Patou Pour Homme is not the only thing. Try Les Néréides' Oriental Lumpur if you get a chance. There's a remarkable congruence.

For what it's worth, I think Bois du Portugal smells nothing like Old Spice.

scentemental
    Last edited by scentemental; 15th May 2007 at 03:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eluard View Post
    I recently tried Patou pour homme and dont see any major similarities between it and BdP. The bitter herbal - patchouli infused with smooth woods character sufficiently distinguishes itself from BdPs' predominantly powerful notes of lavender, cedar and vetiver.

To my nose, PdN New York smells the most similar to BdP although it also is pretty much its own fragrance. Some may also find it easier to wear than BdP.

I havent tired Oriental Lumpur but it seems like its mainly composed of spices.

Wow@ the mention of so many fantastic fragrance - I guess I am going to go and spray them all on myself now
    -

I love BdP,wore it in warm weather & it was fine.Can`t help with the Old Spice similarity because i haven`t smelt it in years.Bdp is one of my favourite Creed along with GIT.
    Currently wearing: The Dreamer by Versace

Hey, you, you BdP lover... I'm trying to expand this cult: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bois-d...18488371505126
    Sell your Picasso and use the money to walk through all the world's museums

It's a pretty unique scent IMO. I can't think of anything that pops in my mind that comes close.

I generally find Creed's really show their heart in warmer weather. The heat seems to open them up for me.
    Tom Ford Splits!!!! - Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir - PATCHOULI ABSOLU
    Plum Japonais, Italian Cypress, Neroli Portofino, Costa Azzura, Azure Lime, Champacca Absolute

HARD TO FIND - Lavender Palm, Arabian Wood, and AMBER ABSOLUTE, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

A rich, resourceful, formal classic, powerhouse evening scent, I could not stop my self praising this fragrant artwork
    Currently wearing: Eau des Baux by L'Occitane