Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Hall Of Shame: Most Embarrasing Fragrance Moments

The only thing funnier than reading this thread is reading it out loud to someone else and laughing as one speaks.

No perfume mishaps ... yet, but, just prior to walking into a meeting with what was about to become my most significant client at the time, I stepped in dog s#*t -- with no way or enough time to do anything about it. Well, it did give me an opening line when I shook the guy's hand.

I love to smell florals on others, but I have actually been asked not to wear them. When I was young, I loved them. I once cleared out a small store wearing Jungle Gardenia. I was at a meeting in my 20's wearing White Shoulders and the guy next to me said I smelled like his grandmother and he never liked her. At twelve, I wore Blue Waltz and finally found out why no one would come near me. When I was young, I may have over-sprayed, but I don't now out in public and I wore L'air du Temps a good classic, right. Wrong, not on me.
    Last edited by TDDanae; 23rd May 2007 at 02:53 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by vezerne View Post
    I did that once with a bottle of Hungarian plum eau de vie (szilva palinka, or slivovitz,as it is more commonly known). My landlord was not pleased. It stinks up the joint just opening the bottle.
    This one really cracked me up. Some bottles are way more stinky than others, too. I picture a particularly smelly bottle (unfortunately not proportionately tastier than average), and can almost smell it just thinking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Now that's an idea for a new line by Comme de Garcons. They could call it 'Series 8: Insects'

Preying Mantis
    Black Widow Spider
    Locust
    Field Moth
    Ladybug
    I like this idea.

Quote Originally Posted by chayaruchama View Post
    A few months ago, I wore Bois Farine to work, and gave myself that extra spritz...
    As I hugged a dear friend, she pulled away violently and growled, "Peanuts !
    I HATE peanuts ! I'm ALLERGIC to PEANUTS !"

I had to explain,shamefacedly, that there were no peanuts...
    Needless to say, I don't wear it to work anymore...
    LOL
    I wore Bois Farine once to work. My coworker in the next cubicle kept telling me all day that "something smells like beer." Must have been the flour note in it!

Quote Originally Posted by CEH View Post
    LOL
    I wore Bois Farine once to work. My coworker in the next cubicle kept telling me all day that "something smells like beer." Must have been the flour note in it!
    So that explains why my boyfriend likes this so much!
    Seeking: woods patchouli fresh tuberose

Quote Originally Posted by CEH View Post
    "something smells like beer."
    It would have been better if he would have asked: "Is it you or me that smells like beer?" HA! I actually heard that from somebody else.

In middle school, I always took my Abercrombie and Fitch cologne (The original) to freshen up after gym. Well, I put it in my shorts pocket, then put that in my locker. When I pulled it out again, the bottle crashed into the concrete floor. I was running behind, so I was alone, but for the next week, my shoes just reeked of A&F.

That actually made me laugh about your woman's ex... Does that make me a bad person? If so, I think I'll laugh harder next time.
    - Rich
    Last edited by _R$_; 25th May 2007 at 04:43 AM.
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

Riviera dei Fiori near Sanremo and Alassio

Few years ago, in Italy, in women magazines there often were perfume samples
    Well, a morning I went my newsdealer and in the shop there is a disgusting smell.

I: "Hi, Piero, brokes you some awful samples?"

It wasn't a sample, but a woman buying paperbooks
    A, quales ego mane rosas procedere vidi!
    Nascebantur adhuc neque erat par omnibus aetas.

Quote Originally Posted by Indiscreet View Post
    Ack! I once did that with one of those huge bottles of soy sauce. The kitchen stank for months...
    The only smelly broken bottle problem I have had (outside my own home) was dropping and shattering a bottle of insulin, large quantities of insulin smell miserable...skunks smell better. I was very unpopular.
    Currently wearing: Bluebell by Penhaligon's

Quote Originally Posted by Riccigirl View Post
    A friend once told me about her friend's colleague, who was selling those cheap fake scents. "If you like Miss Dior Chérie, you will like our fragrance n. 14" etc. To prove that those "fragrances" are just like the originals, only in plain bottles, she was also wearing them. The other colleagues were telling her it didn't smell like the originals, in fact, it did smell pretty bad, but she thought they just envy her. One cold April morning she took a fake Kenzo Jungle Elephant, but the day changed into a very hot one and in the afternoon, she ended up in a stuffy bus full of people. It looked like there's no more room, but after some time, she was standing alone in the middle of an empty circle, the people trying to get as far from her as they could. That finally made her get rid of the fake stuff and stop promoting it
    I used to sell the plain-bottle copy-cats. I think I still have my copy of White Linen somewhere, and it's still pretty good. The company I worked for pioneered that business at the time, and their copies were really quite accurate (to my nose at the time anyway!). All the same...White Linen is a pretty potent smell at the best of times. The only thing wrong with the copies was they didn't have the same longevity. That was particularly noticeable with White Linen, because the 'real thing' lasts all day and beyond, whereas my copy had to be re-spritzed repeatedly. I guess it all goes back to the same old cliche: you get what you pay for. Or...buy cheap, buy twice!
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Cow Tipper Extraordinaire

Blog Entries

I recall that some years back, in a time when I wore no scent other than whatever was incorporated into the bar of shower soap , I happened to meet an old friend in a retail store. We shook hands and from that moment until I could get to a public sink and attempt to remove whatever the foul artificial scent he had soaked his hand in and transferred to mine, I was broadcasting what I thought was the aroma funeral parlors use to mask the odor of decomposition. Ghastly, and damn near impossible to wash off I soon found out. The manufacturer had made some sort of attempt at a berry scent I think, but definitely a perverse Warp 9 on the scale of nastiness and persistence.
    "Are you a god?"
    "No"
    "Are you a wizard?"
    "No"
    "Are you a man?"
    "No"
    "Then what are you?"
    "I am awake.."
    Currently wearing: Aramis by Aramis

When I was yonger we found the fishtank with dead fish in it, and it smelled strange to say the least.

Finally figured out that my little sister thought it didn't smell that great, so she dumped a bottle of cheapo kids 'perfume' into the tank, for the fishies, so it would smell nice for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    ....No perfume mishaps ... yet, but, just prior to walking into a meeting with what was about to become my most significant client at the time, I stepped in dog s#*t -- with no way or enough time to do anything about it. Well, it did give me an opening line when I shook the guy's hand.
    What was the opening line????
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

My best friend's younger sister filled up her potty with her mum's Chanel No.5...
    Kids and perfume don't mix do they?

Default Re: Hall Of Shame: Most Embarrassing Fragrance Moments

I'm usually extremely picky about the fragrances I select, but occasionally have been seduced by a bottle/name into thinking I like something far better than I actually do... which was how I acquired a bottle of Libertine.

I realised how wrong this fragrance was for me, when I was taking the downtown F, and, after about two stops was angrily wondering who the thoughtless beast was, who'd applied maraschino cherry juice with a crop duster. I noticed people moving to other parts of the car, leaving even, and tried to determine where I might move to myself, to escape this cloying scent.

As I shoved my hair back off my face for a better look around, I realised that I was the culprit. My skin really brings out sweetness in fragrances, and had turned this into something positively sinus swelling.

(This must smell lovely on SOMEone, so if there is anyone in the NYC area who's interested in a bottle of Libertine--minus about half a dozen squirts--let me know, and it's yours, no strings attached )

I think the only embarasssing moment I had was when I just replied Lolita Lempicka's L and then found out me and a group of people were travelling by car to a store and not walk. So in the car we go, after replying perfgume, with coats on. It got pretty warm and I really felt how heavy L was. I hope the others weren't too troubled but I don't see a way they couldn't have noticed.

Also one guy at work hates perfume, all perfume because he prefers natural scents. Good thing he works next to the guys who don't shower or change their clothes daily..so nice and natural.

My friend Lauren gave me a few bottles of cheap perfume. I sprayed a LOT on because I could not smell anything at all. I think I mixed them too (gimme a break, I was 14) Then I was sitting in economics class and we were in groups. This one obnoxious guy mentioned that it smelled like bathroom air freshener. I knew it was me he smelled! I felt so dumb for spraying so much. From then on I did use it as bathroom freshener!

ok now i have one. at my subway stop, you have to take an elevator to get down to the subway. this morning, some woman came rushing into the packed elevator and ran over my foot with a cart. after we got out of the elevator my boyfriend goes, "how'd you like getting your foot run over by a drunk woman?" and i said, "drunk woman?" and he goes, "yeah, she reeked of booze." and i was like, "oh, hmm." so we get on the subway and we're sitting there and he goes, "actually...i think that booze smell...might be your perfume...?" lol. so my perfume smells like a drunk person on the subway.

and the perfume? parfumerie generale tuberose couture.
    Seeking: woods patchouli fresh tuberose