Code of Conduct

Post Thanks / Like

Cool I love you but I'm not in love with you, or great frags that just fall flat

These are objectively 5 star frags that I have to rate 4--or much less. I can appreciate them but can't give them my love. Have you any like that in your collection?
    Do you feel like a bit of an unsophisticated boor for not worshipping them?

OK, I'll confess. These are mine:

1. PDN's New York: Feels like a cabaret act, a comedian doing great impersonations of famous people, but what the hell is it, after all's said and done?

2. Creed's Original Vetiver: No question, it's an 'old money' scent, but it feels like a rather boring business meeting is going on.

3. Musc Ravageur: Way too sweet and feminine. Unwearable.

4. Aramis 900. A masterpiece that leaves me cold. Medicinal-herbal. A rose blooming in The Sahara--over someone's grave.

Allright , these are mine, which are yours?

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Default Re: I love you but I'm not in love with you, or great frags that just fall flat

Marc Jacobs.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I love you but I'm not in love with you, or great frags that just fall flat

Hey Mario,
    Interesting concept!

I'm one of the minority that can't seem to get Creed. Not for lack of trying! I've tried about half-a-dozen. With each of them, I think, wow, that's Really High Quality juice. And then I wear it, but eventually stop. It doesn't seem to be quite right for me. Fortunately, I haven't sprung on a whole bottle of any of them.

Hirch would find my attitude utterly unacceptable!

I think part of it is that I've found that I don't usually warm to green scents, and several of them were like that. No doubt with the huge Creed line, there's something there that I would like. But I haven't found a favorite yet, Creed is not available in my hometown, it's too expensive to blind buy, and no more decants.

I think I'm just too low-class for Creed. But I'll still keep dousing myself now and then with my Creed decants until they're gone, and see if others will be impressed more than I!

PS: I'm hoping to find disappointment with Musc Ravageur myself, but haven't been able to try it yet!

Cheers, Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Chergui & A Men are un-sniffable for me...

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Bois du Portugal

Musc Ravageur

Carnal Flower

I respect them but as Anna Karenina says: "Respect was invented to cover the empty place where love should be."

Off-Scenter

Bois du Portugal - impressive, well-made fragrance, but it leaves me feeling like an old codger.

Green Irish Tweed - smells nice, everybody loves it, but I find it somehow commonplace. Too safe, I think.

I guess it's incidental that they're both by Creed...

Post Thanks / Like

Great thread.

Millésime Impérial and Erolfa. Two excellent aquatics, but I'd rather drown than wear them.
    Havana. I like it, but not in a 5star way. It's simply too much of a good thing. 38 good things, really
    Costume National Scent Intense. Initial infatuation turned into ho-humness. Haven't worn it in 6 months.
    Last edited by the_good_life; 16th May 2007 at 09:37 AM.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Post Thanks / Like

Good thread. Quite a few for me. And I've been completely unable to wear any Chanel.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

In my collection:

Cumming by Alan Cumming - quite the nose wrinkler...but I keep hoping one day I'll be participating in some activity that'll require this scent (digging graves? attending the International Mr. Leather convention?)

Rocabar by Hermes - old school Hermes, I feel like a Frenchman in the 1960's wearing this...however I am a latin man in the year 2007 and this 'bottle in a forest' is usually a little too 'old' for me.

Post Thanks / Like

OK - Chanel and I, we are talking about separation:

This house still makes the classical kind of masculine cologne, usually not too loud, and if loud (Antaeus) it's controlled and noble. And they hang on to their classifications. Only in the case of Cuir de Russie something went terribly wrong. I am convinced this was sold as a masculine cologne during the sixties and seventies. Like Guerlain, Chanel also has a house signature, something that appears in the opening but mainly towards the end of most masculine colognes from Chanel. That makes them a little too similar.

Except for Bois Noir and Allure I have worn them all, one after the other. The vintage Cuir de Russie was my absolute favorite. I would probably still have it, but they changed something that I considered vital. It is too pleasant and easy now, better suited on and under a ladies mink coat perhaps.

Today I only have, and hardly reach for, Pour Monsieur (original), Antaeus, and Egoiste. I am still sentimentally attached to these. But unfortunately I am not really made to wear Antaeus well. I love it, but....

Pour Monsieur
    is so beautiful, but times have changed. The the kick is one from yesterday. I enjoy wearing it, but sometimes it's just nostalgic thoughts that make me reach for it. Egoiste was probably my last acquisition. It partly bores me, and partly I also get annoyed by that particular rose note. We are encouraged to enjoy natural rosesin our colognes, and the gardener in me is all for it! So I 've moved on to Malle and Lutens for those. Egoiste may have to go.I feel almost guilty talking about my previous loves in that way.We will remain friends, I promise...

Rocabar
    : there are plenty of thumbs up for that one, but I wonder if anybody has really been in love with Rocabar? They say it lasts - I never waited that long. Maybe I should try it as a closet spray?
    Last edited by narcus; 16th May 2007 at 04:57 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.