Code of Conduct

Default SotD Wednesday 16 May

A very early goodmorning, my dears. I am back again where I belong.

But I noticed to my horror that yesterday I failed to read the SotD and so missed the birthday of Musse and a priceless TwolfTeaser
    I don't know if you will read this but: belated happy birthday wishes to you, dear Musse

Fainting.....I am wearing Jicky

The life of an allergic fragrance nun is sheer hell, so, although still not everything is completely healed I am back in the saddle again since yesterday evening.
    And because life is so boring when you are too cautious, I sprayed my arm with a liberal dose of beloved Jicky.
    This morning.....no irritation and God, do I smell delicious.
    Hugs Jicky in delight. Second and even more generous dose. Ooohh, I love my arm. Welcome home, my fragrant baby

Life is sweet. Parcels filled with samples are impatiently screaming for attention. Where shall we start........

Wonderful and scented Wednesday to you all. How I have missed you!
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: SotD Wednesday 16 May

Welcome back Riannon , and I am so pleased to hear that you are not getting a reaction with Jicky.

I am wearing the idiosyncratically stylish Comme Des Garçons 3! It is obscure, but once you get over the weird citrusy top notes, there comes the smell of woods and pepper. It strongly reminds me of Issey Miyake's Le Feu D'issey which is a bit softer and have a creamier touch.

Post Thanks / Like

So far my sotd will be Attraction.Not sure what to wear after work,though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

L'Occitane en Provence Eau de Vétyver

Went to swim this morning first time this spring and it was great!
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Awesome to have you back, R!! :wave: And starting off with such a classy scent, too.

Annick Goutal Mandragore
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

Yippieee, Riannon!
    Great news.

My SotD: very successfully testing new experimental batches of Avicenna and Madagascar made with vanilla co2 extract

Post Thanks / Like

Good news, Riannon and Annette!

I'm exploring my filthy animal side by testing Ava Luxe Madame X. Leathery!

Good news Riannon. As a recent fellow sufferer I know how you feel without fragrance for days on end when you know there are beauties waiting to be tried. Annette's new Avicenna sounds one such -I must send for it soon.

I've slightly over-applied Invasion Barbare today. I'm surprised to find myself loving the lavender, but I'm not quite used to it yet. It feels too close to my nose this morning. A small dab of this at the neck is enough; the three I applied is too much.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome back Rhiannon! I am feeling quite poorly today, so any scent is
    out of the question. Even trying to clean my teeth made me sick. Maybe
    I'll try some lavender essntial oil on my pillow.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to see you back and scented, Riannon.

I'm wearing the Kenzo Jungle l'Elephant I was testing last night. I like it, starts out interesting, and while the drydown is a bit vanillic, it isn't that *yawn* straight vanilla that too many scents trail off as.

Good Morning !
    Rhiannon, I hope you continue to feel better; Kewart, may you soon feel relief !
    Annette-
    So nice to see you ! [ You must smell heavenly !]
    Indiscreet- Madame X is a beloved scent...it never disappoints, and haunts, as well.

I have a happy, leathery, tobacco / barn smell today.
    Acqua Di Cuba... I LOVE it.
    First time that the DH didn't howl for mercy while I wore it, lol.
    I must be wearing him down...at last.

Have a great day, all !

I nearly wavered today due to the admonishing words of Frederick Malle on layering, but then I came to my senses!

Chanel no 19 with Tabac Blond very sparingly at pulse points....satisfies the serious leather craving I woke up with today
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome back, Riannon! :bounce:

So nice to have you back... And in your honor, strengthening that sibling bond: scent sisters today in Jicky, although I only have the EDT...

Big hellos :wave: and compliments to everyone else, you all smell marvelous!
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Home Dutch Dragon. Feel I can breathe free again now you're back!! Hope Kewart (and how ya doin' Indiscreet?) will join you soon.

Thought I'd finally try the decant of M7 I got weeks ago - 'cause all the guys (and a few gals( were raving about it. Here's the Base Notes:

* Top Notes
    * Bergamot, Mandarin, Rosemary ,

Middle Notes
    * Vetiver, Agarwood ,

Base Notes
    * Amber, Musk, Mandrake root

So far (only a half hour in) fresh and pleasant - lots of herbs and bergamot (a fave) - am waiting for it to deepen. (And to "get with child a mandrake root"!! Anybody know what mandrake root smells like?)
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Post Thanks / Like

I'm doing good thanks! I think I have the allergy problem nailed down to Peru Balsam, which seems to be the culprit in most fragrance reactions - Jazztweety is kindly sending me a small amount so I can test it in isolation.

Madame X is working well for me, although I was almost put off by the initial stank. But it's dried down very nicely.
    Many more Avas to test though...Why does she make so many FBW ones? *knits brow*

White Linen for me today.
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Indiscreet View Post
    I...Many more Avas to test though...Why does she make so many FBW ones? *knits brow*
    Rully! But thank Goddess you can get the smaller bottles and still have lots and lots without your credit cards leaving town!!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Post Thanks / Like

We had our first 90 degree day yesterday, so it does feel like summer here. Wearing Bill Blass Nude, refreshing and descreet.

Post Thanks / Like

It's commencement day at work. Which is unrelated to my frag, 28 la pausa. I gathered up all my new chanels, and decided i would wear one each day until i've worn them all. or maybe ALL the chanels i own, not just the new ones. hmmm. chanel week?
    Seeking: woods patchouli fresh tuberose

BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My darlings, how I've missed you. I've been lost in a dental labyrinth of appointments, pain and sleep-engulfing recovery. Worst of all, this crown ($700) has turned into a root canal, which adds $995 to the expense for one molar. Oh, what I could have done with that $1,700.

Anyway, delighted Rhiannon is back to spraying. What with the withdrawal of Musse and Purplebird (and what about Goddess Dreams?), life feels off-kilter.

Now for the good news:
    Michael Storer's Stephanie!

MS sent me one of his formula cast-offs, Lady of the Lake, and I'll discuss that another time. He also included samples of his three new women's fragrances: Genieve, Yvette, and Stephanie. And Steph is the bomb.

This is the official discription: Stephanie is a highly realistic recreation of the headspace of the gardenia flower and is not for the faint hearted. It lasts forever and has great sillage. Here are just a very few of the notes it contains: Pink pepper, black pepper, galbanum, angelica root, sambac jasmine absolute, tuberose, and a touch of chrysanthemum for a crip green opening.

The pepper opening is mild and, like every phase of this floral, classy. I'll have to go sniffing some real flowers to compare, but the general impression I had was of jasmine over lilac. I am so happy the opening isn't as green and crisp as the galbanum might imply. I'd replace those two adjectives with "fresh."

To me, Steph surpasses other florals in its class, which I think of as Montale Jasmine Full, Amouage, Un Lys, Highland Lilac, or any of the gardenia scents. The sillage is splendid, and the scent enduring. Yes, you must try this one.

Now one more day of intense work, and I'll be caught up on time lost in the dentist chair. Then I can spend more time at Basenotes and in the garden!
    Monarch butterflies require milkweed to prevent extinction

mitsouko - guerlain
    Wishlist is pointless.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm testing Hermes Un Jardin Sur Le Nil today. (thank you Scentsibility for the sample!)
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post

Now for the good news:
    Michael Storer's Stephanie!

MS sent me one of his formula cast-offs, Lady of the Lake, and I'll discuss that another time. He also included samples of his three new women's fragrances: Genieve, Yvette, and Stephanie. And Steph is the bomb.

This is the official discription: Stephanie is a highly realistic recreation of the headspace of the gardenia flower and is not for the faint hearted. It lasts forever and has great sillage. Here are just a very few of the notes it contains: Pink pepper, black pepper, galbanum, angelica root, sambac jasmine absolute, tuberose, and a touch of chrysanthemum for a crip green opening.

The pepper opening is mild and, like every phase of this floral, classy. I'll have to go sniffing some real flowers to compare, but the general impression I had was of jasmine over lilac. I am so happy the opening isn't as green and crisp as the galbanum might imply. I'd replace those two adjectives with "fresh."

To me, Steph surpasses other florals in its class, which I think of as Montale Jasmine Full, Amouage, Un Lys, Highland Lilac, or any of the gardenia scents. The sillage is splendid, and the scent enduring. Yes, you must try this one.

Now one more day of intense work, and I'll be caught up on time lost in the dentist chair. Then I can spend more time at Basenotes and in the garden!
    I am so jealous! I must have missed giveaway..starting to feel left out!

Something about those "cast-offs" sounds so exclusive..practically like a bespoke scent. And I find the "lady of the Lake" notion appealing. so I can't wait to hear!
    Last edited by Zibeline; 16th May 2007 at 03:01 PM.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Black Violet by Tom Ford (sample 7 of 12) - not nearly as nice as Ava Luxe's Midnight Violet

We missed you Riannon! Welcome back to the land of the scented.

Last night we had major thundershowers and it will continue on today. So to celebrate these spring showers I'm wearing my two fave wet weather scents:

Voleur des Roses on the left
    Apres L'Ondee on the right

Have a good day!
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

Right now I am testing Maroussia..utterly animalic floral! I would not wear this one to work it seems incense laden despite the absence of an incense note! this may be one of the heaviest darkest florals I ever smelled. Part of me is repelled and most of me is very attracted to it. Anybody else have comments/ experiences with this dusky dirty jewel?

And on the other arm, I have layered a spritz of AL Midnight Violet over Vent Vert. This converts MV into a brighter greener daytime scent and makes it sill like crazy. It ended up more MV than VV, which is great in my book. I like it.

Feel better Kewart!!
    FYI, emailed Goddess_Dreams 2 times but never got a reply
    Vinterdroppe is fine, she just ran in a marathon! Go Vinterdroppe !!!

It is very hot & humid today, so what does this nincompoop spritz on??!!
    Youth Dew edp..mmmhmmm yes, my eyes are burning now!
    I need to scrub and then go get an ice-coffee at Donkin Donuts...Anyone want something while I'm there? Iced latte? Muffin? No? ok, figured I'd ask.

riannon - so glad your back with the scented!
    kewert - get well soon

I'm testing AMBRE SULTAN (thanks again dimples) and finding it very warm, spicy and delicious. Lovely!

Oh and tinks, an iced latte would be awsome right now.... thanks! :wave:
    "Woe to the one who's love of elixirs, grows into madness"
    :bounce:

Group Hug!!
    It is great to see (most of) you back again. And an extra gentle hug to all those feeling under the weather.

Quarry, the word 'root canal' alone made me cringe. I fear no man, except the dentist.
    Make sure you have one hand dangling beside him. It makes dentists aware that their patients can pinch when it hurts too much
    Last edited by Riannon; 16th May 2007 at 04:06 PM. Reason: typo
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

ooooohhhh, you veteran obsesseurs have made me scent-venturous! I spritzed (lightly) from my thousand yr. old bottle of Joy 1000 just now---hmmmm, still smells like dying narcissus flowers on me; but then, how old is too old for parfum--is it 2x dog years??? and should I just toss my (ten) yr. old 1000?

I am wearing Desert Marocain today as I try to figure out the last of the things I need to do before the wedding. Yikes! and Yay! and egads!

Post Thanks / Like

I was wearing Vent Vert after work, but it doesn't have much staying power.

I switched to Fragonard's Après Tout for bedtime. This is a light powdery pink rose scent if anyone wonders what it is.

Post Thanks / Like

Just chiming in, alive and well but it's been an absurdly busy few weeks. Since it has been warm and since a sultry sillage buster would be out of place at the dentist, (just a cleaning and the staff is very dear there- my sympathies on dental woes though- I've had too many in the past) Pamplelune today, at least till noon. Also giddy to report, a long weekend coming in San Francisco. The Guerlain counter at NM should be warned!

Hope to return to peacefully commune with my new stock of empty bottles and vials.

SotD for the fifth day: Infiniment Chopard EdP and bodylotion.
    Last edited by Margareta; 16th May 2007 at 05:47 PM.
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, L´Heure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.

Post Thanks / Like

Spring is defenitely here now Was craving EL Pleasures after work.That is a sure sign of spring! Hope that those who feel ill get better soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Savannah Gardens and Lavender bath products today... Still sick, alas.
    And he whose soul is flat -- the sky
    Will cave in on him by and by.

—from "Renascence" by Edna St. Vincent Millay

Riannon, Dragon dear, I am happy you're able to enjoy your beauties again
    Kewart, sending good vibes your way and Quarry, ditto what Riannon said: I need a calming yoga session every time I have a dentist appointment
    And Chaya, how nice to see you posting here!:wave:

I wore my Scandal parfum to work today and am utterly bewitched. What a great scent and a crime it was discontinued. That baby might be anything between 36 and 74 years old but its charms have not been touched by time. It does wonderful things on my skin and is extremely long lasting. I believe it is quite old according to the bottle, which is square with a square black grounded glass stopper.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Citrus Dream, which is a great warm weather scent.

Post Thanks / Like

Coco Mademoiselle for morning, then changed to Zoe for an afternoon of 'me time'.

Post Thanks / Like

Armani Sensi this afternoon.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Abigail View Post
    I am wearing Desert Marocain today as I try to figure out the last of the things I need to do before the wedding. Yikes! and Yay! and egads!
    Oh triple yay!! Much happiness!! When's the day?? I remember you threatened to wear Desert Marocain when you first got it - that still the plan?? Loving friends want to know!!

Quote Originally Posted by Taolady View Post
    Oh triple yay!! Much happiness!! When's the day?? I remember you threatened to wear Desert Marocain when you first got it - that still the plan?? Loving friends want to know!!

Oh I just saw this! Thank you

We're tying the knot on the 27th, and I can't tell if I'm panicked or if it's about time. I am going to wear it (in moderation). It's not exactly a wedding white type fragrance, but my fiance loves it (and so do I) so that's what matters.

Now back to gnawing my fingernails!

Samsara on belly and forearms
    Daim Blond on throat, shoulders and back of knees
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache