Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Black Orchid and Black Violet similarities

I am wearing a sample of Black Violet (Tom Ford) today for the 1st time. Its a high quality violet scent that has average sillage/longevity. Not a stunner, but it impresses. Definitely not worth a full bottle because of the high price tag (considering I have other violet scents that I've grown fond of)...but I digress...

I find the top and middle notes of Black Violet very similar to notes in Black Orchid - Mr. Ford's other scent he released before the 12 new Private Blends.

Besides the fact that both start with the word, "Black"...they have a very wet, drippy fruit note (plum? maybe grape?) that has a very dark character. Almost caramelized or similar to the smell of canned fruit that you can buy in glass mason jars at a roadside farmers market.

However, unlike Black Orchid - which continues on this fruit note into dangerous musty territory (I have called BO, candied decomposition) Black Violet just stays fruity. No strange funk.

If BO is just too 'icky' for you, but you like it's dark fruitiness, I think you should try Black Violet. God knows if you're shopping for BO at it's price point, affording BV is not a problem either.

Default Re: Black Orchid and Black Violet similarities

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post

If BO is just too 'icky' for you, but you like it's dark fruitiness, I think you should try Black Violet. God knows if you're shopping for BO at it's price point, affording BV is not a problem either.

I love it! Not the fragrances, since I haven't tried either one of them, but the heartfelt, aghast befuddlement of trying a perfume that leaves me wondering "Good God, whose buying this stuff?"
    Please, spritz responsibly.

I am wearing a sample of Black Violet (Tom Ford) today for the 1st time. Its a high quality violet scent that has average sillage/longevity. Not a stunner, but it impresses.
    How would you compare it to the AL Midnight Violet that knocked your sox off??
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Personally, I deal with BO by using a nice deodorent!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Taolady View Post
    How would you compare it to the AL Midnight Violet that knocked your sox off??
    Midnight Violet by Ava Luxe is much better than Black Violet. Plus its about 1/4 of the price.

In addition, I would call Midnight Violet a 'dirty violet' scent, whereas Black Violet is just a 'dark' violet scent. Most of Tom Ford's scents (including Black Violet) are much more suited to formal occassions or getting dressed up. I always feel uncomfortably underdressed when I sample his scents (I dress business casual at my office - not tie or jacket required). Same goes for most YSL scents (Gucci PH, M7, Rive Gauche Pour Homme...) But the Midnight Violet could be worn in many different occassions: day, night, office, fun...
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 17th May 2007 at 04:03 PM.

Midnight Violet by Ava Luxe is much better than Black Violet. Plus its about 1/4 of the price.
    Thanks Mike - I really respect your opinions. And you guys have convinced me to give MV another try. I kinda dismissed it first go around. So it will be in the next batch (the fourth) of samples!!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

I was following my nose today at Bloomingdale;s and tried Black Orchid for the first time. First I tried the body lotion and then the edt. Frankly, the dirty quality appeals to me. I preferred the lotion to the frag. I like the earthy, bass sort of quality of this scent.
    Haven't seen Black Violet, but Midnight Violet is a gorgeous wet earth sort of violet and is my favorite of the two. I agree that Midnight Violet is versatile in that you could wear it in a variety of settings, dressing up or down, and that both men and women can wear this, though I think it has a touch more yang than yin.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by rtamara41 View Post
    I was following my nose today at Bloomingdale;s and tried Black Orchid for the first time. First I tried the body lotion and then the edt. Frankly, the dirty quality appeals to me. I preferred the lotion to the frag. I like the earthy, bass sort of quality of this scent.
    Haven't seen Black Violet, but Midnight Violet is a gorgeous wet earth sort of violet and is my favorite of the two. I agree that Midnight Violet is versatile in that you could wear it in a variety of settings, dressing up or down, and that both men and women can wear this, though I think it has a touch more yang than yin.
    I have not sniffed the body lotion - sounds lovely. I did (at Bloomingdales too...what a coincidence) see the 'Hair Spray' of Black Orchid. I laughed out loud. In my opinion, Black Orchid is not the kind of scent that needs another layering to smell - the sillage is so strong just with the EdP...I can't imagine scenting your hair with the smell of it also. Talk about getting kicked off a bus...

Well, not to go too far off topic, but speaking of body lotions, I also sampled Platinum Egoiste after shave moisturizer for men, and I LOVED IT LOVED IT LOVED IT and then the lady says to me, "You KNOW that these are for MEN..." and even though I replied that I do enjoy wearing some "select" male fragrances, and that I know of someone who wore this to her wedding, etc. etc. etc., I admit that she put a damper on me, bleh!

I did end up getting what I came for, which was the body lotion of Chanel no 19. Since 19 is a staple for me, I have been wanting to use this as a layering experience.
    But that Platinum Egoiste lotion .... I kept sniffing the back of my hand all the way home.
    Something very warm and reassuring about it.

Would you think it odd to smell this on a woman?
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Basenotes Institution

If you like it WEAR IT...

Egoiste and Platinum Egoiste are not my friends (most of the Chanel's and I don't 'get along'...except for the Exclusif [Bel Respiro]) but now that you mentioned it I will re-sniff it next time I'm near a Chanel counter.

Go for it!

If you like it WEAR IT...

Egoiste and Platinum Egoiste are not my friends (most of the Chanel's and I don't 'get along'...except for the Exclusif [Bel Respiro]) but now that you mentioned it I will re-sniff it next time I'm near a Chanel counter.

Go for it!
    I actually preferred the lotion form to the edt. keep that in mind when you sample. I think there is quite a difference in the experience.

I like both scents a lot but there's a certain thought i get from both whenever i smell them: CSI.

Quote Originally Posted by castorpollux View Post
    I like both scents a lot but there's a certain thought i get from both whenever i smell them: CSI.
    *Collapses laughing* - I know what you mean. I absolutely adore Black Orchid (I've not tried any of the others yet - I've not had a chance to get to London for over a month), and its attraction for me is all to do with that decomposing, earthy thread running through it. Black Violet sounds really interesting, and I'm looking forward to trying it.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by castorpollux View Post
    Maybe it's Tom Ford's favorite show on NBC...LOL. Forensics-inspired fragrances - how very CdG of Tom.