Code of Conduct

Default Fake Armani Code ? Pictures provided !

Hi Everyone,
    I have 2 Armani Codes which have differences in packaging.
    One I had purchased from a discount perfume store in Toronto and the other I had purchased over Ebay. The Differences are as follows:

*** In the following pictures the store one is on the left, the ebay on the right

The store one is spelled as "ARMANI code" and the ebay one is spelled "armani code"
    I looked on the internet for other pictures and they seem to spell it as 'armani code'. So I'm more inclined to believe 'armani code' is how it is usually spelled.
    Also the bottom text shade is different on both boxes.

Differences in spelling on the bottle. The ebay one has abit of fading over the 'a'

The cap over the ebay one is worn

Alittle bit harder to see but the nozzle on the ebay one is more loose.
    Product also leaked during shipping so I assume it was because of this.
    I tried to loosen the nozzle on the store one and it didn't loosen using a reasonable
    amount of effort.

The inside of the box is different. The ebay one leaked so it is purple, most likely the dye from the box.

As far as the fragrance goes, they seem similar enough at first impressions. Also I emailed the ebay seller again and he was pretty adamant his was real. I was wondering what other people thought about this. Since you are all such knowledgeable people in this =).

Default Re: Fake Armani Code ? Pictures provided !

hahaah funny experience.... we have to spend a little more to be sure of "original " fragances..... good luck in your next purchase..

I've seen both of those packaging types in stores like Macy's, so both are probably authentic.

The one on the right is the second version of Armani Code's packaging (the first one was from the days when it was Armani Black Code). The one on the left is the newer third version of Armani Code's packaging, which launched around the same time as Armani Code for women. Hope this helps!
    Last edited by MFfan310; 17th May 2007 at 10:46 PM.
    Top 5 for Fall:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) New York - Nicolai
    3) Terre d'Hermes
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5)
    Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Yeah, I strongly suspect that the one on the right [the Ebay one] is a fake, even disregarding the shoddy construction, and the store-bought one on the left is genuine.

Look at the "armani" in the top image. The typeface is classic Armani [I seem to recall it's a Bodoni variant]; note the hairline serifs and lines where the bowl of the "a" meets the stem of the "a".

By contrast, the "armani" printed on the bottle is a different typeface, with thicker tapered serifs and a more even weight.

If you also compare the "code" on each bottle, you'll also see that they are two different typefaces too - the tail of the "c" is more curved and the depth of the upper storey of the "e" is different. There are also hairline thickness differences too.

These are subtle differences, but it strikes me that an aesthetic-led company like Armani would be utterly exacting with their type and packaging and not allow such variance. I work in the graphic design industry, and such fastidiousness is commonplace among prestige brands.

In fact, on further examination, pretty much *all* the typography/printing on the right hand box - bar the "armani code" itself - is subtly wrong. This could possibly be put down to a lower-quality print run, but again I feel it would be under the threshold of what Armani consider acceptable presentation of their branding; they would have rejected it.

The upper-/lower-case difference is weird, I admit - it's predominantly upper-case on their website, but as you say the lower-case version can be seen in photos used by reputable online stores. My guess is that this is just Armani doing some design tweaking, making this particular difference a red herring.
    Last edited by simisker; 17th May 2007 at 11:17 PM.

I just bought a Armani code tester of ebay and i can say that its authentic stuff.
    The inside of the box looks like the one in the pic on the left.
    The bottle too has the same font as the bottle in the left pic.

So this might be the latest variation as mentioned by MFfan310 above.

gupts

Thanks everyone for your input. I sprayed both products on each wrist and
    wore them for most of the day. They smell pretty much the same. Still pretty
    ticked off that you can't tell easily nowadays what is fake and what is not.
    The craftsmanship of the ebay one was pretty bad, but the fragrance was pretty good.
    But hey, I still might be wrong as my nose isn't as refined as most of yours =).
    By the way, is it normal for companies to change their packaging in subtle ways?
    ie. 'armani code' to 'ARMANI code'
    Last edited by Vaix; 18th May 2007 at 01:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaix View Post
    By the way, is it normal for companies to change their packaging in subtle ways?
    Oh yeah. Witness Apple. If you look at the all white apple from a few years ago to today, you will see subtle refinements throughout. As long as you like the fragrance, you're happy, right?
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

It's real
    code has undergone a lot of change

black code (oldest)

armani code

then

ARMANI CODE (newest)

Some fakes on ebay are so good that you really have to compare the bottles and boxes right beside a original to tell them apart! This happened to me with a bottle of 212 Sexy for men. The box looked the same but the color of the fake bottle was off and the metal it was made out of was cheapy thin and the spray was way off.

Sad part is ebay was really no help against the seller.

a friend of mine bought a fake bottle of Armani Code in Malaysia. It smelled like a wooden twig, no vanilla or whatever else is supposed to be in there

I was just at the departments store and they had both styles of bottles and packaging that are in the pictures posted.

Quote Originally Posted by MFfan310 View Post
    I've seen both of those packaging types in stores like Macy's, so both are probably authentic.... Hope this helps!
    I'm wondering if you know if Armani Code for women ever had a different bottle design than the one shown on the armani.com site. I bought a bottle on ebay and the bottle, though elongated like the one on the Armani site, is a different shape. Are there any tell-tale signs for fake Armani Code for women knock-offs?
    Thanks !