Code of Conduct

Default to buy or not to buy... Creed Neroli Sauvage

I appreciate the input here folks. Sadly, I live in a philistine area where one may not sample Creeds. I've had pretty good luck with basenotes recommendations in the past.
    Thus, what are the thoughts on adding NS to a wardrobe that contains Czech & Speake's Neroli?
    I LOVE the smell of the latter-- so bright and juicy without much sweetness. Would the Creed be adding something to the group? Or is it worth it to make the next purchase in another direction? I'm also attracted to a Creed that has a mint note in it; I think that was Green Valley, maybe. I like most all of their scents I own. I know the right idea would be to get a sample, but it seems like one can just go ahead and buy a bottle from one of the online retailers for not a silly amount of money.
    Thanks for the help!

Default Re: to buy or not to buy... Creed Neroli Sauvage

Oaksbluff,

Czech & Speake Neroli pretty much sets the standard for a predominantly Neroli-based fragrance that has some lasting power and in which the Neroli note has some stamina.

If you're looking for a Neroli-based fragrance, I would forget Creed Neroli Sauvage. As far as I've been able to ascertain through repeated samplings, the only Neroli in Neroli Sauvage is in the title. I think you'll be very disappointed. I am not saying you won't like Neroli Sauvage. There's no way of my knowing that. What I am saying is that if you're looking for a Neroli fragrance, you'll be disappointed.

I know you don't have access to many of these, but if Neroli is what you are looking for, then you should at least look into the fragrances in the following list:

Carolina Herrera Herrera for Men Sensual Vetiver
    Comme des Garçons Anbar EDC
    Comme des Garçons Citricio EDC
    Comme des Garçons Vettiveru EDC
    Compagnia Delle Indie Colonia Classica
    Floris Special No. 127
    Guerlain Habit Rouge EDT Légère
    Hermès Un Jardin En Méditerranée
    L’Occitane Neroli EDP
    Maître Parfumeur et Gantier Eau Pour Le Jeune Homme
    Parfums de Nicolaï Cologne Sologne
    Penhaligon’s Castile

The two fragrances which come closest in managing to be a predominantly Neroli-based fragrance with character and staying power like Czech & Speake's Neroli are the last two in the list. All the rest feature Neroli prominently and with interesting inflections.

Best regards,

scentemental

Last edited by scentemental; 21st May 2007 at 03:32 PM.

I have a bunch of Creeds including Neroli Sauvage and Green Valley, so I'll give you my opinions of both.

Neroli Sauvage, like Scentemental said, doesn't seem to be as heavy on the pure Neroli as the name implies. However, my only experience with neroli oil comes in some diluted stuff I bought at a health food store and also a small bottle (also diluted) from Perfumers' World. To me, the closest thing I've found to the smell of straight Neroli oil is Comme des Garçons Citrico.

Neroli Sauvage is a wonderful fragrance nonetheless IMO. I always compare it against Creed's (also wonderful and underrated) Bois de Cedrat. Both are citrus fragrances. Bois de Cedrat is a cool citrus, and Neroli Sauvage is a warm citrus. When I smell Neroli Sauvage, there is almost a hint of something like a custard sweetness. It also makes me think of lemon meringue pies or pastries. Neroli Sauvage gets sweeter and softer as it goes on. There is some sandalwood and ambergris waiting at the end. Bois de Cedrat on the other hand starts off cool and crisp like lemonade and stays that way. Bois de Cedrat smells "drinkable", whereas Neroli sauvage smells "edible."

The only real complaint I have with regards to Neroli Sauvage is that its longevity seems pretty poor. A lot of people complain about Creed longevity, but most Creeds last a long time on me. Millesime Imperial has better longevity than I had originally thought, but even then it's still not what I'd call overly tenacious. But I do think Neroli Sauvage has the weakest longevity of any Creed I've tried-- although, the longevity itself isn't the issue (it does stay on the skin a long time), but rather that it doesn't seem to project at all. For me, that's perfect because I like scents that wear close to the skin. Neroli Sauvage is great for those times when you want people to have to lean into you to smell it. It's a really nice scent that I reach for on occasions where MI would be a bit too over the top.

Green Valley is very green and minty. I like it, but it hasn't exactly grabbed me yet. Yesterday I was wearing Tabarome Millesime and I noticed some similarities. If you took out the tobacco in Tabarome and replaced it with mint...hmmm. Anyway, Green Valley is compared often to Fahrenheit, but I don't agree. It reminds me a bit of Polo Sport and Jil Sander for Men, at least superficially. Kind of smells like candy. Also, this one seems a bit weaker in longevity. It doesn't seem to ever warm up much-- it stays kind of frosty and distant. Actually IMO, it kind of fades in and out of smelling like a dentist's office-- which isn't bad for me because I'll confess to having a mild "female dental hygienist fetish", heh-heh. Anyway, I like Green Valley and it's good in hot weather. It's not my favorite Creed, but it's quite wearable and has good versatility.

Well, there you have it. With regards to Neroli Sauvage, it doesn't immediately blow me away like the topnotes of MI, but it's still very good. If you're looking for straight up neroli, it's not your best choice--but if you're looking for a warm, sunny, edible smelling citrus that wears close to the skin-- then I'd say go for it.

"Savage neroli"? What does the name mean anyway ??

Neroli Sauvage opens with sparkling citrus and that bitter neroli bite - the opening burst is quite appealing. However theres a lot more going on in this fragrance than just a neroli display. It lasts just 4-5 hours on my skin; however thats still more than Czech&Speake Neroli's duration on my skin.

Others which you might like are L'Occitane Neroli EDP and Castile (a good rose/neroli combo)

As for mint in Creed fragrances, look no further than Selection Verte.
    Last edited by zztopp; 21st May 2007 at 05:26 PM.
    -

If I may somewhat hijack this thread for a second:

Scentemental, you have the Compagnia delle Indie EdC in your list of recommendations. I'm desperate to know more about this one - it's comparativeley cheap and produced by the guys who hold the Capucci license (and make pretty awful stuff beyond that), so I was suspicous. Is it worth having when one owns Sologne, jeune homme, Castile and L'Occitane...?

Thanks!

I agree that Néroli Sauvage is a citric rather than a néroli frag. Indie Guy has it down.
    I think Zeste Mandarine is even shorter , the NS base does linger on me as a skin scent.

You might want to try Selection Verte, which is a fantastic refreshing cooling mint&citrus. I'm also finding Original Vetiver to be great in heat, though Vetiver hombre is still my favorite.

As to Néroli I would add to scentemental's list:
    d'Orsay Etiquette Bleue
    Berdoues EdC Extra Vieille (hard to get outside France, if still in production at all)
    Roger & Gallet EdC Jean Marie Farina Extra Vieille.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Neroli Sauvage is a glorious, uplifting fragrance. Its opening is dominated by a lemon rich citrus and the Neroli is mild but present; it is quite a green version of this note. The base is a beautiful sandalwood which has amazing persistence which holds just enough of the top and middle (green and neroli) to create a truly outstanding accord. Don't expect lots of projection from sandalwood though, here or anywhere else.

If you like citrus, green and santal in very high quality I would recommend this strongly.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    If I may somewhat hijack this thread for a second:

Scentemental, you have the Compagnia delle Indie EdC in your list of recommendations. I'm desperate to know more about this one - it's comparativeley cheap and produced by the guys who hold the Capucci license (and make pretty awful stuff beyond that), so I was suspicous. Is it worth having when one owns Sologne, jeune homme, Castile and L'Occitane...?

Thanks!
    the_good_life,

The short answer to your question is a definite no.

I have three Compagnia Delle Indie fragrances: Colonia, Sandalo, and Vetyver. The are all abstractions of what they claim to be; to put it another way, all three have a tangential relationship to what they claim they are, which, nevertheless, and in an odd way, makes them interesting and somewhat compelling, much like abstract expressionist art. There's something engaging about their "syntheticness". I bought them on a whim at $15.00 each for a 150ml bottle. I consider them part of my experience broadening fragrances. I haven't ever worn them. Don't know if I ever will. I do take them out once in a while and spray them on the back of my hand and sniff them for pleasure and amusement.

scentemental

folks, thank you SO much for the info... stopped me from shelling out the 90 odd bucks for the Neroli Sauvage. I'm still VERY curious to try it, though.
    I'm thinking that the Castile is one I should revisit. I had a vial from the Penhaligon's sampler tin (a FABULOUS idea, in my book) that has been languishing in the back of a drawer and it is a lovely neroli.

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    "Savage neroli"? What does the name mean anyway ??
    Nothing that dramatic - in french "sauvage" in addition to meaning "savage" also means "wild" as in wild strawberries, or in this case, wild neroli flowers.
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sa Majesté La Rose

I also just wanted to add that Bois de Cedrat might even be more of what you're looking for and you can get it even cheaper than the Neroli Sauvage. I just went a sniffed some neroli oil and I think it smells much closer to Bois de Cedrat than it does to Neroli Sauvage (though both seem to highlight different characteristics of the neroli note). I wore Bois de Cedrat to work tonight and it was awesome. Really, if you are thinking about Neroli Sauvage, do check out Bois de Cedrat. It was created in 1875 and smells timeless. Perfect thing for a hot day.

Now I'm curious about Creed's 1901 Citrus Bigarrade. Can anybody tell me how it compares to Neroli Sauvage and Bois de Cedrat? I'd be most grateful!