Code of Conduct

Default If you could have only one perfume...

I kicked off a thread about longevity a little while ago, and out of that I got tons of great recommendations, many of which I'm working my way through, and some of which I've gone on to buy. On my journey to the ultimate 'long-lasting' perfume, I discovered one, quite by accident, that has become my favourite of ALL the perfumes I've ever had in my life (and that's truly a statement not to be sniffed at, pardon the pun).

If I could choose just one perfume out of my collection, that I could have an unlimited supply of for the rest of my life, that perfume would be Shocking by Schiaparelli. It's a very new purchase for me, but one that I just can't get enough of. To me, it's everything a perfume should be. It suits me, it has class, and style and mystique, and just the right amount of sexiness, and everyone asks about it. It's not a 'known' perfume, which adds that extra touch for me. I don't want people sniffing me and saying "oh you're wearing such-and-such, I have that". I have many new purchases in my wardrobe, and they are going ignored, because the only one I want to wear, all day every day, all night, every night, is Shocking.

And it wins the prize for longevity too. I sprayed it on last night to go out to my daughter's debut gig, and it's now 1037, and I haven't showered yet, and I can still smell that gorgeous honeyed splendidness all over me. It's just divine.

So. I know this is a toughie, but if you could choose just one perfume from your wardrobe, that you could wear for the rest of your life, which one would it be?
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Default Re: If you could have only one perfume...

I know wich one I would choose, if I only could have one. And it is because this one is a cameleont, addapting to many, many situations, it is one of my two "always right"-perfumes, and it is always a great pleasure to wear. Longlivety is good, and it is a complex and intetesting fragance.

My choise: Chanel No 19 EdP (or maybee the perfume, whom I never tried...).
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, L´Heure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.

Post Thanks / Like

Can rully identify with your passion for Shocking - I agree that many of those "old timey" frags can't be beat for all around performance. My fave is Ode by Guerlain which is hard to find even in it's current reformulation. I think Cedric said he spotted it on the hallowed walls of the Paris Guerlain boutique.

I was trying to find the thread started by Dolly Dagger a few months back that asked the same question - no luck. But we'll see what comes up this time. :bounce:

Thanks for sharing!!

"The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Clemmie, my bottle of Shocking just arrived yesterday! After a year and half of wanting to try it, I ended up buying blind & I'm so glad I did.
    My choice of owning only 1 scent (GOD FORBID!) would still be Angel even though I rarely wear it. It's still my HG I guess !!

If you asked me today, and you are, I might just say Genvieve.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

I always say Angel to these questions ... I wore her exclusively for years and she is is my oldest and dearest fragrance friend. After all my new loves and recent discoveries, she is still my very favorite.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Angel

Farnesiana parfum, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by tinker424 View Post
    Clemmie, my bottle of Shocking just arrived yesterday! After a year and half of wanting to try it, I ended up buying blind & I'm so glad I did.
    My choice of owning only 1 scent (GOD FORBID!) would still be Angel even though I rarely wear it. It's still my HG I guess !!

That's a heck of a brave thing to do, and I'm so glad you like it. I'm also glad I didn't buy Angel blind, as it really didn't suit me. It's definitely a 'love it or hate it' fragrance, that one! :-)
    Bill Cosby

Too hard! Daim Blond, most likely. I'd like one for winter and one for summer, at least.

Favorite Notes:
    Rose, Apricot, Violet, Leather, Iris, Blackberry, Saffron, Musk, Incense

Quote Originally Posted by djuna View Post
    Too hard! Daim Blond, most likely. I'd like one for winter and one for summer, at least.
    My friend developed a passion for this, then discovered it smells almost exactly like Quorum (very old men's frag), which is a fraction of the price. I was amazed by the similarity myself, but Daim Blond is sweeter, and Quorum more peppery. It suits her, and certainly her pocket. I like Daim Blond. I've only tried it in sample form, and I'm not going to buy it, because there are other Serge Lutens fragrances I have to get full bottles of first (Chergui, Sa Majeste La Rose - currently I'm using a 5ml bottle very sparingly - and possibly Miel de Bois).

I shouldn't be saying that on the 'one fragrance for life' thread, should I? <g>
    Bill Cosby

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

A good quality Frankincense Absolute.

Talking Re: If you could have only one perfume...

ONE never but love Ambre Narguile, Chanel Gardenia, Nuits de noho and Narciso Rodriguez many bottles worth, If that helps, one never in my life,

Post Thanks / Like

Cristobal in edt and edp. But I'd miss many others too.
    Last edited by kewart; 20th May 2007 at 10:03 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Clemmie View Post
    My friend developed a passion for this, then discovered it smells almost exactly like Quorum (very old men's frag), which is a fraction of the price. I was amazed by the similarity myself, but Daim Blond is sweeter, and Quorum more peppery.
    Really? Interesting... I wonder what the distribution of Quorum is like, because I've never really seen it, but would like to try. I love Daim Blond in the winter, but find it a little too sweet and powdery in warm, humid weather.

I'd like to try Sa Majeste La Rose as well, but with my weakness for florals (especially roses) and Lutens it seems like risky business. That man will bankrupt me one day. The only Serge fragrances that actually don't smell good on my skin (that I've tried) are A La Nuit, Rousse, and Fumerie Turque. Which is nice, because I can at least check them off the want list.

Favorite Notes:
    Rose, Apricot, Violet, Leather, Iris, Blackberry, Saffron, Musk, Incense

Post Thanks / Like

....I'm also glad I didn't buy Angel blind, as it really didn't suit me. It's definitely a 'love it or hate it' fragrance, that one! :-)
    Or - as in my case - neither nor!! I was so green when I got here last September I had never even heard of Angel - or gourmands, for that matter.

Some kind BNer included a sample of Angel in a swap and that was really the first stab at the chocolate/vanilla experience. I've since found combos that work better for me - Opulental's Choco-nilla comes right to mind - but also Ava Luxe Chocolate Luxe.

And, for me, the perfume I could not live without is always the one I happen to be wearing at the moment!!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Quote Originally Posted by Taolady View Post
    [FONT="Garamond"][SIZE="3"]Or - as in my case - neither nor!! I was so green when I got here last September I had never even heard of Angel - or gourmands, for that matter.
    Me neither. I'm not keen on gourmands, I've decided. I can't see the point in smelling like something you'd want to eat. Except if it's a fruit. I don't mind fruity smells.

Yes, lots to learn here. I feel like I've a long and very fragrant journey ahead of me! :-)
    Bill Cosby

If I could live my life the way I desire, it would be Jalaine's Patchouli. This fragrance seems to open up the warm, soft inner vulnerable and alive core of my self to such a degree, however, that I can;t see wearing it in my current working environment, where some level of armor is required.
    Clearly I need to get me some Patchouli and change vocations.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Post Thanks / Like

The thought of just being able to wear one scent is frightening!!!However,if I HAD to it would have to be Mitsouko,I think.....Funny really,cause a few years back I couldn't stand it!!!Ironic...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I see a lot of votes for Angel but surprisingly there are less votes for Guerlains and Chanels. Angel is amazing and I wouldn't mind smelling that almost everyday on a girl. good choices ladies.

I am including my pick in this thread because it is both male and female brand. I'm sure people could have guessed this pick but it is Tea for Two. It is my favorite, I own multiple bottles, want to wear it everyday and can't get enough when I do wear it. I'm just scared of running out. If I had an endless supply I would most deffinately wear it proudly every single day and still not be worried about someone recognizing it on me.

If I had to choose one to smell on a woman at all times forever and ever (like a wife?) then I would pick Armani She. My mother wears it and I could not ask for a better memory when smelling this scent. I know this pick doesn't count but it is another perspective for you all.

Post Thanks / Like

Tough call but I think Hypnotic Poison for me. But I'm not really sure, there's so many I love.

Post Thanks / Like

ONE???? Get out! I can only list a top ten --- kai, Jalaine's Patchouli, OB Parfum Bespoke, Paris, Philosykos, Rose Essentielle, Bois Farine, Lolita Lempicka, Lily & Spice, and Montale's White Musk.

I would severely miss Sacrebleu, Blue Amber, Highland Lilac, Encens et Lavande, Chinatown, Mimosa pour Moi, and Index Cucumber Baie, and #22.

I have to include MS Genvieve as an immediate title contender, but I haven't had more than my sample so it wouldn't be tried and true.

With the dead bodies of other refusing basenoters lying about, and the guns on me..... I could least live without kai. And Jalaine's Patchouli! BANG!
    Last edited by Shycat; 20th May 2007 at 07:51 PM.
    Please, spritz responsibly.

I'm a woman of many different moods. Sorry, can't pick just one!
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

Talking Re: If you could have only one perfume...

Quote Originally Posted by Shycat View Post
    ONE???? Get out! I can only list a top ten --- kai, Jalaine's Patchouli, OB Parfum Bespoke, Paris, Philosykos, Rose Essentielle, Bois Farine, Lolita Lempicka, Lily & Spice, and Montale's White Musk.

I would severely miss Sacrebleu, Blue Amber, Highland Lilac, Encens et Lavande, Chinatown, Mimosa pour Moi, and Index Cucumber Baie, and #22.

I have to include MS Genvieve as an immediate title contender, but I haven't had more than my sample so it wouldn't be tried and true.

With the dead bodies of other refusing basenoters lying about, and the guns on me..... I could least live without kai. And Jalaine's Patchouli! BANG!
    ahhh...shycat, kindred spirit....
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

This thread has made me think of ditching all but Angel....
    Life would be simpler & I'd have lots of $$$$. I never seem to find that elusive HG (which turns out to be something I already own). Hmmmmm

Post Thanks / Like

This is a very very difficult decision....I can name three perfums, that I cannot imagine living without, for now.

Le Parfum - Sonia Rykiel
    Sofia - Detaille
    Bandit - R. Piguet( BUT ONLY THE PERFUME ).

Still, you ask for the impossible!! I could never settle with them alone.

24 Faubourg. But I am SO not liking this question!

Post Thanks / Like

Ouch, you are hurting me.

Still... I couldn't ever give up my Mitsouko parfum. It really does connect with me on a different level than any others thus far. Some have started to come close I suppose. But I need my Mits, and I might even do ok with just her.

Post Thanks / Like

If I had to pick just one, aaarrgh, it would have to be Lancome's Magie Noire because after all these years I keep going back to it. Narciso Rodriguez for Her runs a very close second.

Not to attempt to change the topic of this thread, although it's somewhat related: My sister has no sense of smell. Years ago she wore Lauren because her husband liked it. She has worn nothing for several years, doesn't even own a bottle of perfume. She says she'd like to buy a bottle of something, but not necessarily Lauren. I'd like to get something for her, something a Lauren-lover would like since it is her husband who will be enjoying it.

Any ideas?

I often ask myself the wich too choose if I only had one perfume, and it is because I want as useable and wonderful perfumes as possible. In my wardrobe of 22 bottles these nine perfumes I can imagine to have as the only one:

Cristobal
    Le Baiser du Dragon
    Prada
    Chanel No 19
    Cristalle - both EdT and EdP
    Infiniment Chopard
    L´Heure Bleu
    Black for Woman by Etienne Aigner
    In Black by J del Pozo

If I must choose, it still will be No 19, but I can imagine a life with one bottle with the other mentioned as well
    Last edited by Margareta; 22nd May 2007 at 07:04 PM.
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, L´Heure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.

Interesting responses to the question (sorry it hurts so much!). It's not something I would ever have wanted to contemplate until I found the 'love of my life' in perfume terms. Now that I have that, I know I could cope easily without all the other wonderful smells I've collected. And I think that's the key. When you find one that you fall totally, utterly in love with, all the others become insignificant. They're a nice distraction, but they pale beside 'the one'. I'm really happy that I have that. I wonder if it will still be 'the one' this time next year...
    Bill Cosby

Post Thanks / Like

Mitsouko was, for years, my "one." But eventually I got a little bored and wanted to try new things. Angel was my second "wife" but then I found out she was sleeping around (that's to say, everyone was wearing Angel) so I dumped her.
    Now, like a recent divorcee who married early and has only had experience with one or two partners, I'm enjoying playing the field. And life is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Indiscreet View Post
    Mitsouko was, for years, my "one." But eventually I got a little bored and wanted to try new things. Angel was my second "wife" but then I found out she was sleeping around (that's to say, everyone was wearing Angel) so I dumped her.
    Now, like a recent divorcee who married early and has only had experience with one or two partners, I'm enjoying playing the field. And life is good.
    I had 'affairs' with two perfumes like that in the past. Amarige, and Beautiful. I'm wearing Amarige today and can't figure out what the big deal was. It's nice, it's OK, it doesn't smell horrible, it still suits me, but yeah, I'm bored. I put it on, and immediately wished I'd worn something else. Sometimes, the 'new' is the thing that matters most - which is why I'm probably not going to be so in love with Shocking about a year from now (especially if I wear it every day - and I'm fighting the impulse very hard!).
    Bill Cosby

Post Thanks / Like

I had 'affairs' with two perfumes like that in the past. Amarige, and Beautiful. I'm wearing Amarige today and can't figure out what the big deal was. It's nice, it's OK, it doesn't smell horrible, it still suits me, but yeah, I'm bored. I put it on, and immediately wished I'd worn something else. Sometimes, the 'new' is the thing that matters most - which is why I'm probably not going to be so in love with Shocking about a year from now (especially if I wear it every day - and I'm fighting the impulse very hard!).
    I think two things save me with Mitsouko. First, I have way too many perfumes that I truly enjoy to wear her all the time, and love trying new things too. Secondly, Mitsouko is one of the most complex scents around as far as I know, which makes it harder to tire of her.

I do go through periods where I am quite happy with a certain (other) scent, but that doesn't ever seem to last.

That said, I don't know whether I'd advise you to go with it, gorge yourself on Shocking until you've had your fill, or instead to hold back and make the enjoyment last by mixing in other scents every week.

Post Thanks / Like

Heh heh Clemmie, I know what you mean. The scents I am most excited about wearing are the samples I get! I love the novelty of trying new things. Once I get a bottle I wear it seldom. But whilst I've made a few mistakes, there are plenty, like my Lutens, REL and several others, that I adore and will continue to enjoy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I thought about this a while but the only thing that seems right is back to 'Rive Gauche' the one that started me on this journey. It's still one of my all time favorites.The EDP is the best but 'Intense' and EDT are perfectly acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by Indiscreet View Post
    Heh heh Clemmie, I know what you mean. The scents I am most excited about wearing are the samples I get! I love the novelty of trying new things. Once I get a bottle I wear it seldom. But whilst I've made a few mistakes, there are plenty, like my Lutens, REL and several others, that I adore and will continue to enjoy.
    I've made mistakes from buying after sampling a fragrance. Not terrible mistakes, but for some reason, they're either not as long-lasting when I buy them, or the result of wearing the fragrance on all the pulse points, rather than one specific 'squirted spot' is somewhat different, and I find I can't take the perfume as an 'overall' smell.

I agree with you about the Lutens. I know I'll never tire of Sa Majeste La Rose. I was actually intoxicated by the merest whiff of it today while I was sitting in a meeting. I keep my pen in the same pocket in my handbag as my little 5ml bottle of Sa Majeste, and I'd dug the pen out to go to the meeting, and the smell of it was on the pen. I kept getting a waft of the fragrance and found myself drifting off to it. At first, I didn't realise what it was, and was about to ask the guy sitting next to me (total stranger, it's my 2nd day in the job!) what fabulous fragrance he was wearing, then I realised I was smelling roses, and that no matter how much I protest, roses really grab me, when done properly. This is why I've had this long-lasting love affair with the sadly discontinued Un Amour de Patou. It's the roses. I related that smell to the smell of cannabis when I wrote about it here, but it isn't the actual 'smell', it's the effect. The intoxicating, relaxing, happiness that it brings about. Not that I know very much about cannabis, directly. Only second-hand. <g>

Anyway, I'm rambling. I think what I was trying to say was that there's a complexity to the Lutens fragrances that will prevent them from becoming boring in years to come. I don't get the Mitsouko thing. I've tried it, bought it, don't hate it, but it's just too 'old lady' for me. I wish I could love it as much as some people do, but I don't find it complex in a good way, I find it too much. It's like an explosion in a perfume factory to me. It's impossible to pick out any single notes, so it's just a mess (to my uneducated nose!). I think I enjoy fragrances most when I can pick out one or two distinct notes, that linger for hours. I can't speak highly enough of Sa Majeste La Rose for that wonderful purity, even though it also has a complexity that astounds me. I think the Lutens fragrances I've tried so far, are simply works of art. I have many more to try, so lots to look forward to! I've also discovered, much to my amazement, that I love rose notes and honey notes above all else. I'd never have thought that if I'd been asked about 6 months ago. Always thought I was chypre all the way!
    Bill Cosby

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Unfortunately, the only Mitsouko worth bothering with is vintage. If you try that you might see what all the fuss is about. I think it's the oak moss, they either can't get or don't use because it's too expensive or endangered or something. It's completely missing in the modern EDT.

that is very hard however i would have to go with Bond Eau de NY - i think it is close to being a perfect fragrance for whenever

In a perfect world, oroginal Mitsouko.
    It was the first perfume I ever chose and bought, at age 11.
    In spite of my fragrant infidelity, I love it still.

That's easy for me as much as I love so many others. Le Baiser Du Dragon is tops with me.

I have given it a long, hard thought and nop, i just cannot decide wich one will i choose.
    In any case i think that i would get Égoïste (if i can find it in my stash -wow that sounded like i'm an addict right?) and then run away to avoid confrontational arguments in my head.

Oh, gee...I am enjoying playing the field a bit right now, but I think if I went with just one, it would be Carnal Flower (saving for a bottle now--why, oh, why, did I get hooked on the most expensive Malle????).

As a side note, so many of you rave about Mitsouko, it's tempting to try it...but I gather the new iteration is nothing compared to vintage (and I can't imagine how one goes about finding vintage) and I think I remember reading that it was beng discontinued. Ought I try to find Mitsouko, or am I just inviting heartache?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
    Oh, gee...I am enjoying playing the field a bit right now, but I think if I went with just one, it would be Carnal Flower (saving for a bottle now--why, oh, why, did I get hooked on the most expensive Malle????).

As a side note, so many of you rave about Mitsouko, it's tempting to try it...but I gather the new iteration is nothing compared to vintage (and I can't imagine how one goes about finding vintage) and I think I remember reading that it was beng discontinued. Ought I try to find Mitsouko, or am I just inviting heartache?
    Carnal Flower is on my 'to-try' wishlist.

As for Mitsouko, do try, by all means. Just don't buy unsniffed. The current formulation may not be what some of us would like, having learned about her in an earlier guise, but I for one can still enjoy the bottle of EdT I purchased recently. Try different concentrations, and if you don't want to stress about hunting down older bottles, just try what Guerlain is currently putting out. It is still a strong offering. And Mitsouko has been a divisive scent in terms of perceptions for a long time. They have recently reformulated, so I don't think Mitsouko will be discontinued any time soon. So yes, do try.

My boyfriend said the exact same thing the first time I wore the newer EdT as when I wear my older parfum: "interesting." With some fragrances I get a comment on the notes ("woodsy" for PotL Luctor et Emergo for example, a dreamy "strawberries" for Demeter Strawberry Ice Cream), but Mitsouko consisitently gets "interesting." I know he has dabbed some under his nose when I was away, and that he thinks it smells good on me.

Angelique Encens and Iris Poudree might also be contenders for me. Possibly Miss Dior. Dune could be my only scent if it wasn't forever - I'm sure I would tire of daily wear.

OK, so I have to ask stupid question number 137: How does one obtain vintage Mitsouko? Either as a sample or full bottle? Because I'm seriously curious now. Which is dangerous (and possibly expensive).
    Bill Cosby

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I found mine on Ebay. Just search for vintage Guerlain and may God have mercy on you!!

I wouldn't be able to pick a number two or three and so on, but there is no doubt about the one fragrance I need above all others. I'm wearing it right now in the pure perfume.

It is Narcisse Noir.
    --------------------------------------
    OK, so I have to ask stupid question number 137: How does one obtain vintage Mitsouko? Either as a sample or full bottle? Because I'm seriously curious now. Which is dangerous (and possibly expensive).
    That is not a stupid question. I have often wondered myself where these vintages are found, and thought eBay an unlikely single source. It just seems so unreliable. I would like to try a vintage of one the greats, but will never buy from eBay. I have so many great perfumes in my wardrobe, so I won't suffer for lack of vintage. Perhaps one day, but I'm not holding my breath.
    Last edited by Sestra; 24th May 2007 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It's not really that hard. I was teasing because I got hooked pretty seriously on vintage for a while. There is a surprising amount of vintage out there. If you are patient and keep trolling something will come along. I don't buy from dealers who buy from independants and then jack up the prices for resale. If you look to see what else they sell you can spot the really cut-throat dealers. The best are estate sale finds, often still in the box. They really are available, just don't be discouraged.There is a certain amount of disappointment though. They do go bad sometimes and that's why I try not to pay huge amounts of $. It is a blind buy/gamble but the only way I found other than hitting estate sales in your area but that could take a while.