Code of Conduct

Question Boss Bottled, Allure, Pi, Lacoste, Silver Shadow

To me, the fragrances in the thread title follow a certain trend: rich sweet vanilla warmed by some woods and spices and brightened by fruit on top. I happen to like the general effect of these fragrances especially on first sniff, and especially on paper, but the appeal tends to diminish somewhat over time when I wear them.

Do you agree these fragrances share a basic nature? If so, are there others you think belong in the category?

Incidentally I find it interesting that Boss Bottled was released before the rest (listed in chronological order). Another fragrance I own and like that bears a certain similarity to these is Samba Nova Homme, which was evidently released 5 years before Boss Bottled. Assuming you're on the same page, can you think of any other predecessors to this fairly popular style?

Default Re: Boss Bottled, Allure, Pi, Lacoste, Silver Shadow

Baldessarini Ambre is, in my opinion, Boss Bottled reformulated. It's very close overall, but has its own subtle nuances. Since BB was discontinued (according to many SAs, but I'm not actually 100% sure...), I'll probably get this once my bottle is gone.

Well the similarities between Lacoste PH & Boss Bottled have been noted here many times, but I think the other frags you've put in that mix aren't as true to your formula. I don't find Allure, Pi, or Shadow particularly fruity, and each lacks the apple note in particular that really links Lacoste to Bottled.

You are wise to pick up the pattern with different houses releasing these types of scents, but I think each (with the exception of PH & Bottled) is different enough to warrant separate purchases if the buyer loves vanilla notes.

Banned

Post Thanks / Like

I can see a vague similarity between a few of the scents (perhaps a subtle creamy fruitiness), although I feel Silver Shadow sticks out from the bunch as it has an orange-flavoured 'cough-syrup' note. I've never really warmed to it, whereas the others you list I have purchased and worn at one time or another.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stuffman View Post
    Baldessarini Ambre is, in my opinion, Boss Bottled reformulated. It's very close overall, but has its own subtle nuances. Since BB was discontinued (according to many SAs, but I'm not actually 100% sure...), I'll probably get this once my bottle is gone.
    Whaaaat? (Sebastian's voice from Little Britain)

Boss Bottled is discontinued? Who can help confirm this? I will have to stock up then if it's true. I just love it, the best from Hugo Boss.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Post Thanks / Like

Egoiste follows the formula you mention. But I like Allure better. [ducks and runs for cover]
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Arrow Re: Boss Bottled, Allure, Pi, Lacoste, Silver Shadow

Quote Originally Posted by Stuffman View Post
    BB was discontinued (according to many SAs, but I'm not actually 100% sure...)
    I hadn't heard of Boss Bottled being discontinued. I've seen it in stores recently, and there's still Boss Bottled on Sephora.com. I thought this one sold well, too. But the SAs probably know some things we don't.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    I don't find Allure, Pi, or Shadow particularly fruity, and each lacks the apple note in particular that really links Lacoste to Bottled.
    I agree Boss Bottled and Lacoste are closer to each other than to the rest, mainly in being a bit lighter where the others are dark.

As for fruit, the Basenotes directory lists citrus notes in Allure, Pi, and Silver Shadow, and I agree it's a stretch to call citrus in a fragrance "fruity," biological validity notwithstanding. The osMoz description of Allure Homme does also include peach in the top notes, interestingly.

If anyone else has tried Samba Nova Homme I'm curious about your thoughts. For those who haven't, I find that compared to the others mentioned here it's slightly stronger on the wood-and-spice character, somewhat less sweet, and definitely fresher ( la geranium and bracing herbs). Still, the first time I smelled Boss Bottled, Samba Nova Homme came immediately to mind.
    --------------------------------------
    Quick follow up: I'm wearing Allure Homme right now, and I have to say it seems to have quite a (tangy) fruit character. If anything it's not as vanillic as I remembered. Fragrances are weird that way, aren't they?
    Last edited by d4; 25th May 2007 at 01:21 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost