Code of Conduct

Default In Praise Of Dior

It's recently occurred to me that this house is long overdue for a little Basenotes love. Sure, there have been missteps in their catalogue, but they've made several classics as well: Miss Dior, Diorissimo, Eau Sauvage, Diorella and the original Poison all stand out to me. Their aesthetic is not quite so Belle Epoque as the vintage Guerlains, so dark and rich as the Carons, nor so consistently formal as the Chanels; the classics seem instead to be remarkably wearable, from the sweet, green leather of Miss Dior to the cool lemon and soft jasmine of Eau Sauvage, with a certain casual grace that I really like. And, on top of all this, their reformulations are not too terrible and it's not at all hard to find vintage bottles.

Fellow Dior-lovers, feel free to pitch in here with reviews or thoughts. Dior, as a catalogue, sort of stops dead for me in the mid-eighties, but I'd really appreciate hearing thoughts on the newer stuff as well.

Favorite Notes:
    Rose, Apricot, Violet, Leather, Iris, Blackberry, Saffron, Musk, Incense

Default Re: In Praise Of Dior

I'm with you, girl. I've loved lotsa Diors in my time - some the same as yours - and of the newies I adore J'Adore, Dune and Diorella.

J'Adore gets dismissed as "not special" but she blooms on me - I think it's because my bod has an affinity for the mix of bergamot with fruits and (especially) muguet with roses and violets. It feels "couture" to me.

Dune - the bergamot this time with jasmine and patchouli. Some of the mystique of the desert with a subtle heat.

Diorella (not really a newie) - a great spring/summer refresher - fruity and green.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Dior is my favorite perfumer. I have never been disappointed with any of their fragrances. Pure Poison is awesome as is Diorella....beautiful lemons. Diorisimo.....this needs no introduction....we know why its a classic.....Diorling....i bought a bottle of this not to long ago...a dark brooding leather, absolutely awesome....Miss Dior...smells like my mothers chicken curry dinner she used to make when i was a kid.....Miss Dior Cherie....beautiful strawberries and popcorn, nothing quite like it.......i'm goint to edit my post because i forgot to mention Dior Homme.....the best mens fragrance to be released in recent history....a powderey, makeup bag, lipstick scent for men.....ITS ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE!!!!
    Last edited by rosbergs3; 21st May 2007 at 08:18 AM.
    Awesomeguy

bleu autumn haze

My favorite Diors:

Dior Addict. soooo sexy ... consistently in my top 10 favorite fragrances

Dolce Vita. happy and irridescent; a little fruity, a little spicy, a little sweet all sitting on a wood base. I always get compliments when wearing it.

Dior Homme. I kept this for myself, not sharing it with the hubby. I love the powdery iris, the cardamom, the leather note.

Dioressence. This gracefully walks the line between an oriental and a chypre while keeping fans of both genres happy.

Diorling. I only have a small sample of this, sent to me by a friend who knows my love of leather scents. Dark and brooding is a good description.

There are so many Diors that I have not tried yet, both classics and the newer ones.
    Last edited by shadesofbleu; 21st May 2007 at 04:42 AM. Reason: spelling error
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Diorissimo was my first fragrance, but these days I wouldn't be without Hypnotic Poison and original Poison. I know some people have trouble with Poison in particular, but I'm one of the fortunate ones who can wear it (and wear it without killing everyong in the vicinity with noxious fumes!). Yum yum!

My elder Sister came home from a school skiing trip with a bottle of Miss Dior EDT for me for my 18th Birthday, how grown-up and sophisticated did I feel when my contemporaries were still blasting themselves with Body Shop White Musk and Dewberry? I've always had a bottle in my collection since, I adore it and still feel very grown-up and sophistacated when I wear this classic.

My Mother once read an article saying that Princess Diana wore Diorrissimo, she was intrigued by this and it has been her favourite ever since. She also loves Miss Dior Cherie and Diorella.

I also adore the distinctive Dune, sexy Addict, heady Poison and her younger sister Hypnotic Poison . Thumbs up for Dior from my Mum and I here.
    Last edited by Champs Elysee; 20th May 2007 at 09:39 PM.
    Never judge anyone until you have walked a mile in their shoes

I have J'Adore, which I like enough, and I purchased Miss Dior Cherie for my fifteen year old daughter this past Christmas -- it really suits her well and sometimes, I spritze some on myself. Spicegirl sent me a mini of the Miss Dior, mmm, time to take it out a sample it properly.
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

My first Dior was Lily Dior and it went to Norway to live with Musse. It is a beautiful muguet scent! I wish it was easier to find, I'd get another bottle.

My second Dior was Addict, a surprise gift from...Musse! I find it has the same sexy spiciness as Femme. I feel like I should hoard that bottle so as to never use it up, my wonderful gift from a friend I once had .

Hypnotic Poison is very cozy and I find it so much easier to wear than D&G Red Cap.
    I just got a small bottle of the first Poison, this one COMPLETELY bypassed me all these years... I must live under a rock!

Basenotes Institution

Eau Noire by Dior (Hedi Slimane) totally rocked my world when I smelled it.

I havent tried most of the classic womens Dior backcatalog but I used to wear their two main mens fragrances, Eau Sauvage and Fahrenheit. Eau Sauvage smells a bit dated nowadays, while I got bored of Fahrenheit and its motor oil note a long time ago.

However, I have a new found appreciation for Dior Homme, and now consider it to be one of the finest iris based fragrances around, surpassing both Hiris and Iris Silver Mist (especially when considering the price). I initially wore it in cool weather, and wasnt too impressed by the powdery "make-up" bag like iris note but wearing it in spring summer has revealed more of its excellent construction and qualities. Lavender, cardamom, and an excellent cacao and leather base complement the rich iris note and turn it into a dynamic modern scent.
    -

Each house has its moments and so does Dior. I am glad we have them all. I had a large bottle of Hypnotic Poison a few years ago that I loved and demolished rather quickly (these were my pre-Basenotes days when I had no idea why I loved a particular scent).

I am now loving Diorella which has the most fantastic patchouli note with numerous floral notes shimmering around it.

Top: lemon, peach, basil, bergamot, melon, green notes
    Heart: honeysuckle, jasmine, violet, rosebud, carnation, cyclamen, oakmoss,
    Base: vanilla, clove, sandalwood, vetiver, musk patchouli

As I wear it I say "oh there's the melon!" The next moment I think I can smell the jasmine but I am not sure. But the patchouli is always there.

I have Diorissimo on my want list as a top muguet fragrance.
    Last edited by Krysia; 21st May 2007 at 04:40 AM. Reason: Thought I had deleted this text earlier.

I used to only know Dior from their '80s forward scents, until I went back and started sniffing some of the older things. At first, I didn't think I liked them, and then I fell in love with Diorissimo, and despise LotV, but it so works here.

Then I fell in love with Diorling, who is so standoffish at first, but warms up to one of the most beautiful scents I own.

I adore this whole line now, but it took a while to appreciate it.
    Visit our perfume blog - Perfume Posse

Love Dior. There's something for everybody - classic, modern, old, new, light & fresh to sultry & oriental. Dior can usually satisfy whatever fragrance mood I'm in. Currently, I have Dune and Diorissimo. But I've also worn Dioressence, Miss Dior, Diorella, and Dolce Vita. I'm not crazy about Addict or Nu. But I love the Poisons, tho don't own any. Love Farenheit for men. I haven't sniffed 'em all, esp. the LE's, but most Dior fragrances work very well with my chemistry. I think I may be one of the few who actually even likes J'Adore. :-)

J'Adore is very pretty, and I've worn it, but something about it is too subdued and "nice" for me. There are no odd notes to catch my attention.

Speaking of odd notes, I really love Diorella (clean jasmine and over-ripe summer fruit) and Miss Dior (clean gardenias over dirty leather). I've got a mad desire to try Diorissimo lately, although I don't know which concentration to look for.

Favorite Notes:

Jules is one of the best scents I know. Still retains the dirty,muskiness though it's been attenuated and lacks longevity. Hard to figure what's missing to decrease longevity. Seems most of the smelly base notes are still there.

Dior Homme and Eau Sauvage are excellent. Dior Homme being one of the better constructed fragrances in recent times. Forget all the makeup bag shit. The stuff kicks ass and most of the women I know f_cking love it. Maybe because it softens me up a little, makes me more approachable. Or it could be because they often associate it with their daddy. So a few have told me anyway. Eau Sauvage is the same as it ever was. First wore it about twenty years ago. It's been repackaged but I have the old boxes (one recently purchased) so have no idea if that juice is any different. I prefer something like Eau de Rochas Homme, but Sauvage always works.
    Last edited by pluran; 22nd May 2007 at 01:45 AM. Reason: V20GMid

Oddly enough, though Eau Sauvage is typically considered a classic male scent, I think it works very well as a contemporary girls' scent. The lemon is bright and clear, and the jasmine is just heartbreakingly soft. It does what Light Blue does, but it's much prettier.

Dirty secret: If I'm meeting someone on a hot summer evening and I feel sweaty and gross, I sneak into a Sephora and put on the Sauvage. I don't know why I don't own it but I do love the scent when it's sticky outside. I'm always afraid that my date and I will have matching scents, but then, most men don't even think to wear anything.
    Last edited by djuna; 22nd May 2007 at 01:46 AM.

Favorite Notes:

This is great, because I was at the Dior counter the other day deciding what to buy in order to get the free GWP (I'm a classy gal lol) and it occurred to me that Dior is one of my favourite houses, and does not receive enough Basenotes recognition!!! I'm completely in love with Diorissimo (to me it's a beautiful little girl whose sweetness, for some, borders on irritating but whom I could never dislike, not for a moment) and I'm falling in love with Dolce Vita (the bottle got me first!). Diorella is another on my list (I think it'll be great for hot weather), and I love Dioressence and Miss Dior because my Mum wears them both. And judging from people's reviews of Eau Savage, I think it's definitely one I'm going to have to smell!

As a sidebar - I adore their lipglosses too!
    Last edited by ozkat; 22nd May 2007 at 02:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by djuna View Post
    Oddly enough, though Eau Sauvage is typically considered a classic male scent, I think it works very well as a contemporary girls' scent. The lemon is bright and clear, and the jasmine is just heartbreakingly soft. It does what Light Blue does, but it's much prettier.

Dirty secret: If I'm meeting someone on a hot summer evening and I feel sweaty and gross, I sneak into a Sephora and put on the Sauvage. I don't know why I don't own it but I do love the scent when it's sticky outside. I'm always afraid that my date and I will have matching scents, but then, most men don't even think to wear anything.
    Sweaty and gross, sneaking into Sephora and using their perfume....naughty girl you are djuna. Yeah, it's great for girls. Same goes for a lot of men's fragrances. They can smell incredible on women. I think you need to buy some Eau Sauvage.

i agree with you but my all time favorite is the eau savage that is an extreme fragrance very good

Miss Dior in any concentration and Dune in extrait (will have to try some other concentrations too) are both real loves of mine. The sexy leather in Miss Dior and the warm, fresh, salty aspect of Dune both work very well with my skin and I feel natural and comfortable in them.

Dolce Vita I sometimes think might be amazing, but sometimes I'm not so sure, and I remember the first time I smelled it I was both entranced and repulsed at the same time. I thought my mini might be 'off' after finding it beautiful at a counter one day and almost bought a new bottle, but came home to find my mini just fine.

Diorissimo I need to wear more before judging but it seems amazing upon the first couple of wearings.

Miss Dior Cherie I'm not sure about. It isn't at all my thing, but I've referred to it as "strangely addictive" before, and I finally bought a decant so I'd stop looking at expensive bottles of it. I was right, I don't really wear it.

Dioressence smells nice, almost not like perfume to me.

Poison I've enjoyed a few times when I wore it from a mini of the parfum, although that wasn't very recently. I'm not familiar with its variants though.

J'Adore... maybe I need to revisit this. I've received minis of the EdP a few times as GWPs, and I don't know, it was quite nice as far as perfume goes, nothing wrong with it at all, but so... generic. I just found nothing interesting in it. I remember thinking that I could see how it would be very popular as it is well-done and inoffensive, but the same thing which made it appeal so broadly quite frankly bored me.

I've liked a few others, but don't know them well enough to say much. No big misses for me so far, and a few real hits. I guess I'm in agreement - I find Dior to be a very strong house.