Code of Conduct

Default Is Rive Gauche a Summer scent, or a winter scent?

The reviews seem really great, and I think I would like it a lot; but no store in Mexico has the YSL line for testing, so I'd be buying blindly.

So, is it a Summer scent, or is it too heavy? >_>

Also, today a woman in the perfume department in Sears showed me CK One, it seems like a good "I don't know what I'll wear so I'll just wear this" type of fragrance.
    Chipmunks love to eat nuts. Don't go to the woods without pants. (°<

Default Re: Is Rive Gauche a Summer scent, or a winter scent?

Quote Originally Posted by Juanamichi View Post
    The reviews seem really great, and I think I would like it a lot; but no store in Mexico has the YSL line for testing, so I'd be buying blindly.

So, is it a Summer scent, or is it too heavy? >_>

Also, today a woman in the perfume department in Sears showed me CK One, it seems like a good "I don't know what I'll wear so I'll just wear this" type of fragrance.
    I think it can be worn in summer and winter. I don't find Rive Gauche heavy at all, it is like Drakkar Noir in how heavy it is.
    "...but I also can't prove that mushrooms could not be intergalactic spaceships spying on us." Daniel C. Dennett

Top 5
    Heritage 2. Antaeus3.Kouros 4. Drakkar Noir 5. Montana PDH

Basenotes Institution

I just started wearing Rive Gauche only a month or so ago and I love it (it is HOT in Miami) - wonderful masculine, lemony, smells like I just shaved with soapy shave cream. I would also wear this in winter.

I imagine it would work as well as CK One as far as a 'I don't know what I'll wear so I'll just wear this' type of fragrance. However RG is a little more 'serious' than CKO, in my opinion.

RG is one of those "3 season" scents. Almost a year-rounder, but beware of those hot and humid days in July. I find it to be a daytime/workplace type scent.

Before you buy blind...go to your local barbershop and get a haircut, what your neck and ears smell like after they put the lotion on after they shave your neck is what Rive Gauche smells like ..identical!!!!

lol. Not for me but hey...IMHO I would never buy blind, my friend thats a big gamble.

Good luck.
    The search for the perfect cologne is like a composer searching for the ultimate note.

P.S. F' Imus...Stern is King!

I would call it a year-round frag. I think it's safe for a blind buy, it's a good frag but it doesn't really stand out to me.

I never had any issues wearing Rive Gauche in the dry summer heat. Just to safe, though, I'd apply lightly. I'm not sure how good it would be in high humidity though, so beware.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I've only just started wearing the Rive Gauche, but I can see myself wearing this year 'round. The whole barbershop/ clean vibe that others talk about is pretty spot-on.
    Above all, this stuff is uber masculine.
    I myself traded for it, but before that I contemplated buying it from scentiments, and the price wasn't out of control. If it was a blind buy and you really didn't like it, it seems like there's people who probably would trade you for it.
    Given the other scents you have in your wardrobe I'd imagine that you would be into it.
    That's my take.

I wear it in the summer. The heat really brings out the spicyness, but it never gets cloying. I bought this one blind as well.

Depending on your chemistry, I would avoid Rive Gauche in humid weather or places where you're likely to sweat a lot. I get an unusual BO note when I wear it in those settings. IMO it does extremely well in air conditioned environments.

I'd rather call it a summer scent.
    It definitely has some cooling feel.

I think Rive Gauche can be worn in all seasons.

Did test it 2x and donīt find it so longlasting.

I will do it again.

Year round, IMHO for the original Rive Gauche PH.

There is a "light" version of Rive Gauche PH, but I have not tried it so I can't say anything about it: http://www.basenotes.net/ID26123772.html. You might see what people have to say about this one if you're worried about a hot environment; I imagine you would be worried about that.

I don't know anything about the extreme version either.

From what I've seen over the years here, it seems to wear quite fine during the summer. On me, it is a very easy to wear fragrance. It has a lot of the anise top notes from Brut or Azzaro PH, but takes a longer dirtier drydown than either one. (Brut goes hardcore floral on me before taking an amber path, while Azzaro seems to leave out the middle notes and just jump into a subtle ambery drydown)

In the eternal words of Borat, "Very nice!"
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

It's doing well with me in a warm country like Thailand. I think it's good for all seasons.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto