Code of Conduct

Thread: Auto Shop Scent

Default Auto Shop Scent

I was just working out in my shop and I had a crazy idea. Might just be appealing to guys, but nonetheless, what if there were a scent that would emulate working in an auto shop. I don't know about any other mechanic, but I love the smell of gas and diesel and all the associated smells with working. Figured it should incorporate musk and gas. Still working on other notes, but any suggestions? And what should I use for gas scent? Having some trouble sniffing out what I should use.

Default Re: Auto Shop Scent

I think Garage, from the Comme des Garcons synthetic range, does what your describing quite accurately.

There is one scent that totally captures "car essence." It's Nostalgia by Santa Maria Novella. It's named after a famous race, and the bottle cap looks like a wooden gear shift knob. If I recall correctly, it has oil, leather, and rubber notes. Smells fantastic! You can read more about it here: http://www.basenotes.net/ID26122510.html
    Last edited by Scentsei; 21st May 2007 at 02:03 PM.
    Top 3: London Gentleman, Blackbeard's Delight, and Sex Panther. (It works 60% of the time, every time.)

You might also like M7, which I will state from my grave smells like the undercarriage of a push mower.
    Please, spritz responsibly.

My little brother is a gearhead and he liked the samples of CdG Tar and Garage that I let him sniff. This week I got Santa Maria Novella's Nostalgia and damn, that stuff is the most garage/car/autoshop thing out there.

I haven't messed around with my perfumer's organ for a little while and I've forgotten what a lot of things smell like. You would probably want to use a good bit of labdanum in your fragrance. It'd be a good start.

I love this idea, my Father was a mechanical engineer. He had his own garage. I just loved the smell of his clothes when he came in from work. I still love the smell of tyre shops and if the world suddenly was going to end I would want to die smelling petrol!
    Sandalwood and Agarwood have sort of rubbery notes to them, jasmine sambac does it for me as well, you know that mouth watering feeling!!!
    The peppers are good too, like black pepper sort of smells a bit like a garage. And the amyris is sort of rubbery too.