Code of Conduct

Default Joop! homme-Mont Blanc individuel- Creed santal: are there similarities?

Hello Basenoters,

I have an inquiry regarding the similarity of Mont Blanc Individuel to Joop/Creed Santal. I recently sampled the sweet Creed scent, and the first thing that came to mind was Joop! homme, but in a more refined and fresh manner. It really made me yearn a Joop!-esque type fragrance. I have read reviews on here about Mont Blanc's Individuel being often compared to Joop! Homme in many of the reviews. I haven't smelled Individuel yet, so can't make any comparisons to Creed Santal or Joop! Homme. I haven't read of any real comparisons to Santal to Joop! Homme however, to draw a common link between the three. Is there? Do others find find Santal and Joop! as close to each other as I did? To the reviewers that found Individuel a copy of Joop!, do they see the commonality to Santal also? I will sample Individuel myself, but would be interested in the community's take on this. Thank you in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Joop! homme-Mont Blanc individuel- Creed santal: are there similarities?

The first thing that comes to your mind is Joop! because all three mostly open with a strong orange blossom note. Shortly thereafter, Original Santal introduces a spicy aromatic mix of spices (cinnamon, coriander, ginger) and wood (sandalwood) with some vanilla. Try wearing Original Santal in hot mediterranean weather to get the full effect - some might even detect a strong "nose-burning" cinnamon note. Theres nothing like this spicy wood effect in Joop or individuel.

I dont think Original Santal is sweet - if you want a sweet Creed, try Royal Delight. Or try the entire SergeLutens line if you have access to it. Serge Lutens Fleurs D'Oranger might initially smell Joop!-ish too.
    -

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Joop! homme-Mont Blanc individuel- Creed santal: are there similarities?

To the average nose, one like mine, they are all very similar.

JOOP comes across the strongest. Creed Original Santal is not very different. Perhaps a bit more subdued.

Individuel, to me, seems to be the most refined smelling one of this very similar trio. It smells rich and upper crust to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    Individuel, to me, seems to be the most refined smelling one of this very similar trio. It smells rich and upper crust to me.

I've never sampled Creed OS, and tested Joop only long enough to know it was too sweet and "in your face" for me. I do like Individuel VERY much and agree with Chuck that it's classy & refined IMO. If you're familiar with Ungaro lll...IMO they are cousins with Individuel being warmer and less powdery. On me Individuel lasts a long time and projects a decent sillage.

Best regards,

Mike

I own Individuel and Joop. Very similar to me.
    Original Santal worth a try between this 2?

Wich is more elegant, Individuel or Original Santal?

And wich last longer and project more?

I'd like to hear more comparisons between Individual and OS, for anyone out there that has experience with both.

If i really enjoy Creeds OS, would you say this is a safe blind buy? I sure would love to get something that is very close to OS, for a fraction of the price if possible, or at least until i come across a bottle of OS.
    Last edited by persianprince; 19th July 2011 at 03:57 AM.

I thought Individuel and OS were very similar but here's the thing, I don't like these kinds of frags at this point, and I would not subject myself to a side-by-side test because it would be too unpleasant. Therefore, it would be better to hear from someone who is a huge fan of these frags. However, in that case, that person's opinion may be more precise than you need it to be. You may think they are nearly identical, and so for you it would pay to go for the cheaper one. Over time, though, you may be able to detect differences and then want the "better" one (better ingredients or whatever). It can be frustrating but that seems to be the reality.

Post Thanks / Like

To me they are similar, and if you believe in Pierre Bourdon / Creed conspiracy theories, then this is another one to add to GIT / Cool Water & Orange Spice / Kouros. Pierre Bourdon was the nose for Mont Blanc Individual. MBI came out in 2003, while OS came out in 2005...

Post Thanks / Like

I recently mentioned on another post that I felt they are all pretty similar. Interestingly enough, OS is closer to JH, while MBI is closer to OS yet they all share common notes. If I had to describe each individually, I'd say that while JH has appealing qualities, it smells dated and too synthetic at times. OS and MBI are much more tolerable, at which point it just comes down to personal preferences. I really enjoy OS, but its a little on the subtle side, though spicier than MBI. I love wearing MBI because it is more fruity (initially) due to the juniper berries, and it projects and lasts quite well. Easy choice for fall/winter evenings.
    Fall/Winter Rotation:

Lancme Hypnse
    Lanvin Avant Garde
    Zegna Intenso
    Dior Homme Intense
    Thierry Mugler Taste of Fragrance
    Prada Amber Intense Pour Homme

If smelling good was a crime, I'd be serving a lifetime sentence....

- OE (olfactoryexperience)

Don't own the Joop, but have the other two and although not very similar they do seem to share some similarities.

only that they each share a spicy tobacco note -