Code of Conduct

Thread: Lily

Default Lily

any recommendations for great Lily (not lily of the valley, although they have similar scents) fragrances - soliflore or preferably otherwise. have tried SL's Un Lys which is great.. am looking now for something more watery, sexy & mysterious (a-la A La Nuit)

Default Lily

i know this may not be a so-male question but in any case.. i just love lilies !!

any recommendations for great Lily (not lily of the valley, although they have similar scents) fragrances - soliflore or preferably otherwise. have tried SL's Un Lys which is great.. am looking now for something more watery, sexy & mysterious (a-la A La Nuit)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Lily

Check out www.ava-luxe.com. Her Lily is gorgeous - Casablancas, to my nose - and she's got others worthy of trial. Check under "Florals" and read the notes descriptions! Samples are only a couple of bucks and so worth it!!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Try the new Coach perfume (only sold in the Coach boutiques) - lily is not listed as one of the notes, but I swear it's in there...

I would give Lys Mediterranee by Frederic Malle a try. Its very nice and it has that watery aspect (in the beginning anyway) your looking for. Also, its much more unisex than Un Lys IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

cmk20, welcome to basenotes. May I ask that you avoid starting duplicate threads in the Male and Female boards? Regulars to this site will see a thread, and feel free to respond to it, on either board, so it seems like unnecessary duplication.

I suggest we drop this thread and continue HERE instead.

Cheers,
    Paul
    Last edited by PaulSC; 21st May 2007 at 08:07 PM.
    Spray it, donít say itÖ
    WARDROBE

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSC View Post
    cmk20, welcome to basenotes. May I ask that you avoid starting duplicate threads in the Male and Female boards? Regulars to this site will see a thread, and feel free to respond to it, on either board, so it seems like unnecessary duplication.

Cheers,
    Paul
    I guess we have a new moderator...?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

NB: Different types of lilies have very distinct, different scents. The main kinds mentioned in perfumery are tiger, ginger, madonna, Easter / calla and oriental / stargazer lilies. Therefore it is best to know / clarify what type of lily scent you prefer before seeking out and sampling perfumes.

Ava Luxe offers three different lily soliflores you may like to try: Lily (green, fresh, watery), Madonna Lily (creamier, more heady), Stargazer (sultry, sexy oriental lily).

Other Lilies you could try:

Gres Cabotine - a big, green floral built around the spicy, heady ginger lily.
    By D&G Woman - aqueous pastel oriental featuring the spicey tiger and ginger lily
    Cacharel Anais Anais - based on a timeless Lily & Lily of the Valley heart accord. Is not as 'innocent' as the marketing and reviews suggest.
    Penhaligons Lily & Spice - my favourite lily 'soliflore' scent to date! The truest interpretation of an oriental lily I have ever experienced. May prove too full bodied for your tastes but definitely worth a try.
    TBS Minteva - opens quite green and grassy but the ultra feminine lily heart is very ethereal and yet sexy when it dries down.
    D&G Feminine - an almost scent twin to the much more expensive and vanillic Serge Lutens Un Lys. The distinctive yuzu in the opening notes freshens and lifts the scent without drowning out the dreamy lily heart and base.
    Elizabeth Taylor White Diamonds - features 'Amazone' lily in the opening notes which remains until drydown. A very rich, luxe blend due to the tuberose dominated heart. Best applied sparingly.
    Donna Karan New York - Smooth lilies and suede. Very chic / elegant, not a soliflore but distinctive anyway. Similar to Serge Lutens Daim Blond.
    L'Artisan Passage D'Enfer - the soul of this scent is the original accord of lilies with incense and smooth white woods. Not really floral b ut the lilies add a distinct nuance to the blend.
    Dior Ange au Demon - haven't tried this but know that it has a lily heart note that may work. Best to try before buying as it is a scent which provokes quite extreme responses.

Regarding your specific search I recommend you obtain samples of Ava Luxe Lily & Madonna Lily perfumes from http://www.ava-luxe.com, as well as a sample of her Water Lily blend which, though not a lily may actaully be just what you are looking for.

Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSC View Post

Cheers,
    Paul
    i see i see

sorry bout that ..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
    I guess we have a new moderator...?
    No, we remain rather short on active moderators for a site of this size, which is why I went ahead and made the suggestion myself. I hope you don't object...
    Spray it, donít say itÖ
    WARDROBE

Annick Goutal's Grand Amour is one I used to wear a lot that has a very lush lily note - like white Easter lilies that fragrance an entire room. I just threw my old bottle away, the last little bit in it is growing something scary looking inside. And it's a spray - never been touched by human fingers. So goodby to my old love. But I highly recommend it.

Post Thanks / Like

I have Un Lys and Lily & Spice. Un Lys strikes me as clear, linear, deeply sweet. It makes me think of a hot sunny day. Lily & Spice has a fresh moist opening, more like a spring day. L&S develops to a nearly identical heart, and then dries down to a slightly earthier feel, thanks to the patchouli. It is supposed to have a saffron note, but I'm not sure I know saffron well enough to recognize it. L&S has more of an A la Nuit feel, I think. Hope that helps!
    Please, spritz responsibly.

BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Lordy, lordy, MoonDeva, is there anything you're as good at as cataloguing fragrances? You're like ... wait, are you an android with a built-in aromascope and photographic memory?

You could try "Mediterranean Lily" from Australian perfumer Renee. I wear it occasionally and it's a very white floral lily. You can obtain samples from their website, www.renee.com.au quite cheaply.

I think the Angel Lily version is gorgeous!

Post Thanks / Like

Donna Karan Gold is a full-on Lily. I've only sniffed this on a magazine insert but it was very pleasant.
    Chanel Allure has Lily but I am really not a fan of this scent. There's a nasty ashtray note that I detect in a lot of Chanels that really puts me off.

Post Thanks / Like

Yosh Stargazer smells exactly like Stargazer lilies.

thanks a lot, folks.. awesome awesome recommendations.. so i have a lot of sniffing to do.. just discovered a tester of Gold in the only Donna Karan store here so will check that out too..
    Last edited by lilyboy; 11th June 2007 at 01:15 AM.