Code of Conduct

Default Sephora Inside JCPenney...

Well, today, I noticed that the JCPenney here in Fort Wayne had closed off their escalators.

Why? They're undergoing a massive renovation. This didn't surprise me, since their CEO Matt Ullman flew in a couple of months ago from Dallas (their corporate headquarters are in that area) to speak to local business leaders and hinted at a store renovation.

Curious, I then asked a supervisor who was walking around the store "Hi... how long will the escalators be closed?". She responded "Several months". Then, I asked a second question, about that beauty-full Giant Economy Size megadeal that had been made several months earlier: "When will this JCPenney get a Sephora?" She said "Spring 2008... when the renovation is finished." (Though I think that it might be a wee bit sooner...) To be honest, I had read somewhere that JCPenney was going to accelerate the renovation of existing stores, and that 2008 would be when the trickle of Sephoras inside JCPenney would start to become a flood.

Now, for us Basenoters who have been in the dark: In the middle of 2006 (after many false starts such as the Avon beComing test), JCPenney announced that they were re-entering the beauty market through a joint venture with Sephora, where JCPenney would set up 1,500 square-foot ministores for Sephora within most JCPenney stores. Although the employees get JCPenney paychecks, Sephora USA provides training, support, product, and logistics. The reasoning of the joint venture was simple: Most JCPenney shoppers spend about the same amount of money on cosmetics and fragrances as the average Sephora shopper, but since JCPenney lacked a decent beauty offering, the customer was forced to go elsewhere. And Matt Ullman was head of Sephora USA at LVMH before he arrived at JCPenney, so he had a bit of an inside connection.

So far, the joint venture is working quite well. And all new JCPenney stores opening in 2007, and most of the stores being renovated as we speak, will have Sephora ministores. Likewise, Sephora.com now accepts the JCPenney store credit card in addition to Visa/MC/AmEx/Discover.

Has anyone here visited one of the Sephora ministores inside JCPenney? And do you think that the competition has a lot to lose?
    Last edited by MFfan310; 22nd May 2007 at 06:15 PM.
    Top 5 for Winter:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Back to Black - By Kilian
    3) M7 (vintage or Oud Absolu) - YSL
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5) John Varvatos Vintage

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Default Re: Sephora Inside JCPenney...

I have a brand new, less than 1-year old, JCPenney across the street from me, and from the outside, it's huge. I've never felt the need to go inside, though, assuming that being in Las Vegas, it wouldn't have a Sephora because there's already two of them located on the strip. I could be wrong and should really stop in and see because it is a large store, but it wouldn't surprise me if there isn't one there.

in New York now you find Sephora nearly at every streetcorners, specially in the city (Manhattan) they 're everywhere but also in the suburbs and other New York boros.
    I still remember the first Sephora boutiques in France when I was young, it was in 1984!! what a success!
    'luxury is an esthetic wrath' Serge Lutens

? From my point of view, Penny's is lower tier than Sephora. Why would you combine two different shopping experiences? (Middle to high tier (Sephora) with low tier (Penny's))
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

Question Re: Sephora Inside JCPenney...

Quote Originally Posted by _R$_ View Post
    ? From my point of view, Penny's is lower tier than Sephora. Why would you combine two different shopping experiences? (Middle to high tier (Sephora) with low tier (Penny's))
    - Rich
    Pardon my ignorance, but does there in fact exist a low-tier fragrance shop with which Penny's could have partnered instead?

Quote Originally Posted by Kailash View Post
    Pardon my ignorance, but does there in fact exist a low-tier fragrance shop with which Penny's could have partnered instead?
    There is only one national one that I know of, and that is Perfumania. However, Perfumania carries mainly fragrances, and JCPenney wanted a big push into makeup and skincare, too. Also, JCPenney did test a line of cosmetics and skincare products with Avon known as beComing in about 150 or so stores about 4-5 years ago, and it didn't work out well at all.

However, I've read in JCPenney's most recent conference call that the Sephora ministores are exceeding their wildest expectations.
    Top 5 for Winter:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Back to Black - By Kilian
    3) M7 (vintage or Oud Absolu) - YSL
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5) John Varvatos Vintage

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

I have an update in my city.....There is a new JCP being built.....one of the 1 level stores.....and there will be a Sephora inside......I can't wait to see this for myself.....I know this is a done deal as far as the contracts are concerned.....we just got our 1st Sephora a couple of years ago and it has been a huge success.....I didn't think that Sephora was a good match with JCP at 1st....and I'm not so sure that I think it is now.....Oh well.....Who am I? I'll update with any info as soon as possible.....Gary

Quote Originally Posted by pierre obsidienne View Post
    in New York now you find Sephora nearly at every streetcorners, specially in the city (Manhattan) they 're everywhere but also in the suburbs and other New York boros.
    I still remember the first Sephora boutiques in France when I was young, it was in 1984!! what a success!
    They have also become increasingly generic. Even the bigger flagship Sephoras in my city carry a rather limited selection compared to even 3 or 4 years ago, the more adventurous fragrances are disappearing and what is left are big-name, recognisable, traditional, celebrity brandsand names. There isn't much choice and the SA's aren't particularly helpful.

I can confirm that the JC Penney's in Dadeland Mall (here in Miami) has a Sephora inside. It seems about 1/3 the size of a regular Sephora. From the outside it appeared that their selection of men's items was a bit limited.
    Top 3: London Gentleman, Blackbeard's Delight, and Sex Panther. (It works 60% of the time, every time.)

i have noticed this as well. i remember big comme des garcons MAN displays, now nothing. narciso rodriguez: "only in the Times Square store" i was told: i didn't see it. malin + goetz: gone. all sephoras are not created equal.

Quote Originally Posted by maksidrom View Post
    They have also become increasingly generic. Even the bigger flagship Sephoras in my city carry a rather limited selection compared to even 3 or 4 years ago, the more adventurous fragrances are disappearing and what is left are big-name, recognisable, traditional, celebrity brandsand names. There isn't much choice and the SA's aren't particularly helpful.

I've noticed the same thing. The selection at the local Sephora stores has become much more limited. I no longer see CdG either, for example. Sad.
    Top 3: London Gentleman, Blackbeard's Delight, and Sex Panther. (It works 60% of the time, every time.)